Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Leaving the Cold behind... SEA (Thailand, India, Singapore) with LH A380 in FIRST

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Leaving the Cold behind... SEA (Thailand, India, Singapore) with LH A380 in FIRST

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2020, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Covid-19 the life-saver😂
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lufthansa SEN, Bonvoy LT TE, SIXT Diamond, AVIS President, HERTZ President
Originally Posted by offerendum
Covid-19 the life-saver😂
Here are the (official) numbers:

In Thailand, due to Covid-19, until now died 47 persons (actual less than 1’000 infected persons, of them 899 hospitalized).

In contrast to this, only during the 7 days of Songkran festival, due to the Covid-19 measures, instead of 517 persons (2019) only 150 (2020) died, down 367 persons.

Last edited by ChristianKiev; Apr 18, 2020 at 1:35 am
Old Apr 18, 2020, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Interesting figures.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 4:43 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Yes very
Old Apr 19, 2020, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Livin' the good life! I'm surprised that the First Class meal service on Lufthansa is so minimal. I would have thought they'd serve more. Oh well Changing times. Next time I fly them in First I'll be sure to bring a sandwich or two along. Thanks for the report. Nice pictures!
ChristianKiev likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by ChristianKiev
Friday, April 17, 2020

First, I hope all four of you are doing well!
Second, we are still under lockdown but gradually opening up. Hopefully people will wear masks beginning on Monday!
Most of all, hopefully no rise of new infections due to easing of the restrictions. Some are still stubborn and think they are sronger than the virus. Well, we know where these ignorant people land in the end...dead!
Before I forget, the curry and fruit are pics are great. Really miss my holiday in Thailand.
anitadieter and ChristianKiev like this.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 2:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lufthansa SEN, Bonvoy LT TE, SIXT Diamond, AVIS President, HERTZ President
Friday, April 24, 2020

Another week in paradise completed. Honestly, the last week didn’t differ very much from the week before, me cleaning house & pool while the others still sleeping, breakfast, shopping, lunch, sports, swimming, cooking dinner and watching movies or playing cards.

Meanwhile Valentyna is getting really good in preparing Thai dishes, much better quality than the food you’re getting delivered. No matter if Green Curry, Red Curry, Tom Ka Gai or spicy glass noodle salad with various seafood.

April, 22nd brought news from Ukraine. The country’s lockdown has been prolonged until May 11th, mainly because 130’000 people went to churches during Easter Holiday, but also due to increasing numbers of infected persons.

But this had been clear to us, especially since the airlines cancelled flights until May, 12th (LO & PS) or May, 18th (LH, OS, LX).

In Thailand things are getting eased up, the (official) numbers of infected are raising daily in a very moderate way.

So, some checkpoints have been removed already, others are just waiving through, 7-Eleven stopped temperature screening at the entrance. Also on the roads there’s much more traffic, some small shops reopened. Things are getting back to normal.

So for the moment that’s it, hopefully by May, 1st the lockdown will be lifted and we can go on traveling within Thailand.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

The news from Thailand sounds promising
Old Apr 28, 2020, 3:00 pm

Incoming international travel is banned til end of may. Therefore no flights in may. I hope June will bring you home to KBP/ODS.

Maybe you can travel within Thailand? Some Khao Soi in Chiang Mai?
Old Apr 28, 2020, 6:49 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cyanid
Maybe you can travel within Thailand? Some Khao Soi in Chiang Mai?
All unnecessary inter-provincial travel is not allowed either
Old Apr 30, 2020, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Thursday, April 30, 2020

The last week brought nothing new, same procedure as every week. I even washed the rental, cleaned it even inside. I guess it never had been that clean before...

The Thai government promised that by April 28th, 1600, we would know about the ease of the restriction from May, 1st. But it didn't work out since some provinces eased the restrictions more tea. others and therefore the PM on April 29th, late in the evening, announced that the individual provinces can't ease restrictions more than the government announced. So what do we know ? Restaurants (outside shopping malls) can reopen, street food vendors are allowed to operate, markets, barber shops, parks and sport facilities without group gatherings (no gyms). But until now we even don't know if the lockdown of Krabi province (where we are) is still in place tomorrow. Honestly, as good as the Thai government handled the situation during the last month, this time it's a big mess. We think that's because of various interests of different group of people.

Our flight from FRA to KBP by LH on May 19th got cancelled yesterday, so we would have to fly via WAW - but to be sure we anyway have to wait for the measures Ukraine imposes for after May, 11th. The good thing: if we would need to fly home, from May 8th there're some possibilities, but they wouldn't be very convenient. In addition still everybody tells us to better stay away from home. Just 3 days ago the botanical garden in front of our Kiev home has been shut down, because the found a dead homeless person, who, according to the test they did, has been infected.

Inter-provincial travel within Thailand is allowed - but should not be preformed if not necessary. Normally, when hiring an official taxi, you can even leave lockdown areas/provinces towards the airport, in case you can show an international flight ticket. But in case of self-driving you should have a document in Thai language to make travel more smooth. Even documents to drive during curfew hours are available in case of long-distance traveling.

At least here in the South people are very relaxed, some people even stopped to wear masks (which I think isn't a good idea) because the infection rate within Thailand is so low, single digit numbers (yesterday 7, 3 in Bangkok, 3 on Phuket, 1 in Krabi). There's much more traffic on the roads, markets already opened, more shops are operating.

Oh, yes, the alcohol ban, that seems to be the most important topic in Thailand. It got prolonged until end of May - I couldn't care less.

That's it for today, the next days should become more interesting.
Old May 2, 2020, 4:54 am
Original Poster

Friday, May 1st, 2020

For today we had a plan, a big one. Therefore we woke up already 06:30, got ready, packed our bags.

At 8 the representative of the house owner arrived, as well as a taxi which brought my friend and his now ex-girlfriend to the airport to pick up their rental.

While they were gone the lady quickly checked the house, returned the remaining deposit - and off we were.

But, since no news were announced, we first needed to the government office in Krabi town, to get the official allowance to leave Krabi province, which was officially still under lockdown.

How to get such an allowance? You need to show a flight ticket, leaving Thailand within the next days, plus a filled form and your passport. Luckily we still had our (cancelled) tickets for May, 5th, leaving Bangkok airport towards Vienna and Kiev.

At 08:45 we arrived at the government office where, after temperature screening, I received a number, 159 !!! Then I had to pass a first plausibility check

before entering the very crowded waiting area.

Yes, there were chairs with social distancing set up, but there were far more persons than chairs. So, due to this, social distancing was obsolete, people standing around everywhere.

I understood that somebody is telling the waiting number - but in Thai language only. After 2 minutes of waiting I found out that I would never understand when it’s my turn, went to ask.

After quite a while the officer found someone speaking English and I was able to ask. I was told that I would have to wait 3 to 4 ours until it’s my turn. But after he found out that we would have to drive 8 hours to Bangkok and curfew from 2200 still active, he took me aside, brought me to an office where I got signature and stamps for the 4 of us within a minute.

Out I was, Valentyna waiting for me, and off to highway 4, where we had to wait another 30 minutes for my friend to arrive with his rented Nissan.

I handed their documents, and further we drove, towards the next Amazon Cafe to get a shot of caffeine.

Already on the way to Amazon my friend wasn’t able to follow Valentyna, who, for my understanding, drove quite slowly. So we decided to drive up north separately,

which was a good decision. Highway 44 east was in perfect condition, mostly straight, the scenery stunning.

We had been worried about the checkpoint at the exit of Krabi province - but when we arrived it had been deserted, nobody there, we just drove through. If we would have known...

Just before Suratthani there was a real checkpoint, controlled by the army.

But they just looked inside the car, waved us through, no showing of documents, even no temperature screening.

We turned north on highway AN-2, refuelled caffeine at Amazon,

drove north to Chumphon, where AN-2 joins highway 4 again.

It was about lunch time, and we were hungry. Normally it’s no problem to find a hot noodle-soup or any other lunch along the highway - but not at the moment. Literally all food stalls are still closed until May 3rd, so it was quite a search until we found an outlet selling some rice and chicken with a peppery sauce.

This has been quite surprising to us, because there was heavy traffic on highway 4, far more than a month ago when driving south - and all these people have to eat on road.

After we took our lunch at one of their outside tables we moved on north, passing another checkpoint with quite a long queue. Valentyna did it ‘Thai-Style’, passing the queue on the shoulder.

Finally, at the control, we, again, were just waved through.

We passed Prachuap Khiri Khan, where we stayed the first night driving south, bypassed Hua Hui, and after 700 kilometres arrived at Samut Songkhran, just 60 kilometres before Bangkok.

It actually wasn’t our plan to drive that far the first day, but it has been very difficult to find an operating hotel on the way.

The day before I called a minimum of 30 hotels along highway 4 - but they were all closed, either because of area lockdown or no clients. When calling the hotels from south of Prachuap Khiri Khan upwards, the first operational hotel I found was just 60 kilometres west of Bangkok.

At 17:30 we reached ‘Coco View Hotel’,

just 7 1/2 hours after we left Krabi. Not bad for 700 kilometres, some stops, and a speed limit of 90 km/h.

Before entering the hotel, we received a temperature screening and a sea infection shower in a special cabin.

The hotel’s interior was typical 4*, clean but without any charm.

We quickly checked in, had a look over pool and river,

went up to twin-room (normally we would have changed - but it was just for a night).

Also the room, same as the complete hotel, was clean - but nothing special.

At US$ 42 including breakfast and taxes we couldn’t complain.

45 minutes after my friend arrived, his ex very hungry, because he denied to stop for lunch.

Off we drove to a recommended restaurant at the river,

where we ordered food to take back to the hotel.

We were allowed to sit inside the hotel’s restaurants, received plates & cutlery.

Wow, that was good food, homemade fish-cakes, shrimp omelette, spicy squid with pepper and some fish - for the two of us. Our friends, not so much into Thai food, just had some fried rice - boring at best.

Since we were quite exhausted, we went back to our rooms, enjoyed a good sleep.
KBPflyer, lamphs, standch and 7 others like this.
Old May 2, 2020, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by ChristianKiev
my friend and his now ex-girlfriend
Old May 3, 2020, 4:18 am
Original Poster

Saturday, May 2, 2020

When we woke up around 8, I already received a message from the now ex-girlfriend of my friend, that they already had been at breakfast, him didn’t want to wait, already checking out.

We were more than happy with this information – because the situation between the two during the last week has been more than stressful for us.

So we took it slow, got started and went down for breakfast.

The breakfast was typical 4* Thai, not to our liking. We ordered fried eggs, had some toast with butter and marmalade, plus instant coffee, just not to be hungry too fast.

After check-out Valentyna wanted to visit the railway market we’ve already been to on our way south, laying just 3 kilometres away from Coco View Hotel. I was sure it would still be closed, because markets would only open the next day. But when we approached, I’ve been surprised by heavy traffic. Yes, there were even less tourists, but many Thais, even more crowded than 5 weeks ago.

We had no chance to find a parking nearby, so I decided to drive around the market until Valentyna did her shopping of goods to take home.

At 11 we were off, drove direction Bangkok, refuelled caffeine and diesel, came into heavy traffic towards the city. After we crossed Bangkok and BKK airport on the toll way, we decided to have a small lunch, something very special after more than a month without junk-food, a Junior Wopper of Burger King.

And off we were, direction the ‘resort-town’ of Pattaya.

Pattaya ??? Why the hell ‘Pattaya’, one of the, sorry, biggest ....-holes on this planet ???

The answer is easy: the district of Chonburi, the province Pattaya is in, is the place with the easiest quarantine measures in Thailand. Certainly, the city of Pattaya is under lockdown until May 5th, but the rest is open. I contacted the Renaissance Pattaya Resort some days ago, and they confirmed that their hotel was and is operational, including restaurants, pools and even gym. So, since the prices, especially for Pattaya, were quite steep, I made bookings by Bonvoy Points.

And my friend had to go back to Pattaya anyway, since this is the place where he picked up is nowadays ex-girlfriend, and she wanted to be brought back. I’m trying to write about the situation between the two without personal valuation, even it might sound had – and it quite difficult to do.

After 2 ½ hours of drive we reached the endpoint of the highway, turned left on Sukhumvit, passed Pattaya and Jomtien until we reached the hotel.

Renaissance ‘Pattaya’ Resort isn’t the truth – it’s 16 kilometres off Pattaya, 25 minutes driving at best. When a person without a rental is looking for a Pattaya-Hotel, he would be misled by the name. But we knew before.

Renaissance isn’t my kind of hotel, normally – but for the above-mentioned reason I was okay with it.

At arrival I have been surprised by the cars parked in front of the hotel, BMW i8 Roadster, Maserati, Aston Martin, Bentley – all of them weekend tourists from Bangkok. Don’t forget, Thailand has a minimum of 234% import tax on cars – so you can estimate their value.

Before entering the airy lobby, we were again sprayed,

temperature screened, before guided to the check-in counter.

It was 1445 – and the room assigned to us with two Queen beds… Why do I have mentioned in my Bonvoy profile that I want a King-size bed ??? After I requested a room with King-size bed, we were told that we would have to wait one hour. No, certainly not ! After requesting to speak to the Manager on Duty our room was ready to move in within 10 minutes.

No Suite this time since the hotel was nearly fully booked. Instead we got an upgrade to a high-floor sea-view room

with a nice balcony on which the sun shines heavily in the afternoon.

Meanwhile we received the information, that the Thai government isn’t happy with the actual situation, thousands of people traveling within Thailand and possibly spreading the virus. Therefore they released a degree, that from May 3rdtravel between the provinces will be allowed only when having a proper reason. Checkpoints will be set up between all provinces, controlling the necessarily. Also some provinces will require a mandatory 14-day self-quarantine, luckily only when arriving there from May 3rd. So we have chosen the perfect window for our trip.

We were quite exhausted after our trip, rested until sunset,

then had dinner in the hotels ‘609’ restaurant.

Quite a nice experience to be able to go to a restaurant, sit down, order and eat your food right there.

Oh, yes, and LOT announced to cancel all flights until May 31st... which means the option of BKK - FRA - WAW - KBP on May 18th isn't existing anymore, even Ukraine would open it borders after May 11th. But there would be still flights with UIA from FRA and WAW - but anyway we do have to wait for the announcement of the Ukrainian government.

An addition regarding out friends: the now ex-girlfriend wanted to return to her hotel downtown Pattaya right away – but he denied to bring her there, because Pattaya is under lockdown until May 5th, he didn’t know how to bring her there and if he would be allowed out again. So instead she checked in at Renaissance with him – we trying to avoid them.
Old May 3, 2020, 4:47 am

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear about your friend and his ex! I assume they are one of the ground why you left Krabi. Well, Pattaya is not far from BKK airport if you need to leave the country. Love the Thai food pics! Stay safe and healthy!
wrp96 and ChristianKiev like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.