Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Eating South Africa

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2018, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by rracks55
another great read again i love all you TR just cannot wait untill your next one ( WHEN IS IT )
Oh, thank you! I have a taxi in 15 minutes to start our next trip ... to Jamaica. Not sure it will justify a TR, though, as it will be a complete repeat of the previous ones!

Originally Posted by Bretteee
My biggest regret was that we only took a day tour of Franschoek and Stellenbosch. We should have stayed at least 1 or 2 nights in each. It was so beautiful. Same for Hermanus where we only had 1 hour.
Yes, we are planning to strip CPT to the minimum for the next one,, and add extra days in F'Hoek and S'bosch. Still contemplating an extra location, but we've been a bit busy with other things to do proper research.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 4:40 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
loved your report
T8191 likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 11:35 am

I would return to Cape Town but there seems to be a serious water problem. We missed the cable car because of the wind. For 6 days it was closed.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Originally Posted by Bretteee
I would return to Cape Town but there seems to be a serious water problem. We missed the cable car because of the wind. For 6 days it was closed.
Being based in Cape Town, as a tourist i would not worry too much. We are now entering the winter soon and rain is soon to come, "day zero" keeps getting pushed back as more water harvesting sites come online etc ....
T8191 likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Yet another lovely TR - many thanks! :-:

And we hope you are enjoying Jamaica.
T8191 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 3:55 pm

Appropriately inspired, I am off to CPT in June. Not BA I'm afraid but QR.
T8191 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Greenpen
I believe the advice would be "Take a sweater and an umbrella"
Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Originally Posted by Greenpen
While not the best time to come - weather wise, still reasonable with mild sunny days with the odd brief showers. There will be some really really great winter specials at the top restaurants and hotels so look out for them, if you are coming with someone special then a trip to Stellenbosch or Franschhoek also Hermanus ( Hemel en Aarde Valley specifically ) is recommendable as it is pretty cosy during that time to get the fire going and crack open a bottle of blonk on a chilly night in the somewhat "remote regions" of the Western Cape.

I think you would also really like the Hemel en Aarde Valley Mr T8191, have a look !
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:28 pm

T8191 great tr. Brought back great memories of our first trip to za last fall. We loved it so much we are planning a return trip.
T8191 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flame3601
<snip>

I think you would also really like the Hemel en Aarde Valley Mr T8191, have a look !
Thanks for that suggestion ... we will explore! ^
Old Apr 19, 2018, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Late footnote: with the 2-4-1 already booked for December, this morning we breezed through our 3 hotel bookings on-line. It will be:
  • CPT > Hermanus for 4 nights at the Misty Waves Boutique Hotel (Honeymoon Suite, with smoking allowed on the balcony)
  • Hermanus > F'Hoek for 5 nights back at the F'hoek Country House (Room 2 again) ... ditto smoking!
  • F'Hoek > S'Bosch for 5 nights back at the Eendracht (Room 8 again) ... ditto smoking!
  • ... and back to CPT for the flight home.
All ground transportation also fixed with Adriaan, our previous excellent and cheap taxi driver.

A very productive hour on web/email!! Hotel bills (all B&B) come out under £3k for the 2 weeks.

The Eendracht told us they are trying to prevent more pigeon nesting

A bit of new territory, and some old and lovely locations. Who cares about repeating previous trips? Roll on December!
gillyd22 and roadwarrier like this.

Last edited by T8191; Apr 19, 2018 at 8:20 am
Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:06 am

Thank you for your post! Enjoyed reading your report
Thanks to FlyerTalk and its members, I get to to experience destinations which I may never be able to visit!

Greetings from across the pond, in the Great White North!
T8191 likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 9:08 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
I really enjoyed your TR, your style of writing shows a great sense of humor which carries the reader along.

I look forward to reading all of them.

Jeannie
T8191 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.