Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another serving of schnitzel: DEN - MUC - DEN on Lufthansa A330-300

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2017, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Another serving of schnitzel: DEN - MUC - DEN on Lufthansa A330-300

Greetings fellow aviation enthusiast! This is my first ever trip report published on Flyertalk. I've been a lurker for nearly ten years and thought it was high time to post. After reading, if you have any suggestions or tips feel free.

Background

Although the duration of the trip was only five days it was a trip of many firsts. My first time flying a foreign carrier (Lufthansa), my first trip alone, my first time in Germany and my first time flying the A330. Though the thought of traveling to Germany this time of year (early February) might seem strange it was technically a business trip for my startup as I was attending a trade show called ISPO Munich (a trade show for outdoor clothing and athletic brands). I will be honest however, during the days and hours before the travel date I was riddled with anxiety and stress with concerns ranging from if the trade show would be a success to basic worries such as finding my way in a foreign city making me short tempered, sweaty and a little irrational. In any case I bet you're ready for some pics!

Route: DEN - MUC

Flight Number: LH 481
Aircraft: A330-300
Seat: A33
Class: Economy
Flight Time: 9hrs and 45mins
Date: February 3rd, 2017

The Beginning
Taking into consideration my worries, my mom drove me to the airport and decided to stick around until it was time to proceed to TSA to ensure I checked-in ok and possessed the necessary information. We reached Lufthansa check-in desk and there was virtually no line as we were among the first passengers to arrive. The agent invites me over to proceed and I hand him my passport upon request. Interestingly enough for some reason his polished appearance and calm/professional demeanor instantly cleared my anxiety and assured me that I was in good hands (or it could be that the reality of finally being a paying passenger on one of Europe's most well know and respected airlines was beginning to set in!). As a small celebration of victory I grab a small handful of LH bag-tags, raise one to my mother and proclaim that i've finally earned the highly coveted Lufthansa tag!

[IMG]IMG_2530 by Jesse Hester, on Flickr[/IMG]

F9 and DL narrow bodies

[IMG]IMG_2531 by Jesse Hester, on Flickr[/IMG]

Ah! Guten Nachmittag Frau Lufty!

IMG_2532 by Jesse Hester, on Flickr

Departure gate (A45 for first/business class while A47 for steerage)

IMG_2534 by Jesse Hester, on Flickr

[IMG]IMG_2537 by Jesse Hester, on Flickr[/IMG]

The ship being prepared for her long journey home

[IMG]IMG_2536 by Jesse Hester, on Flickr[/IMG]

Boarding

At around 3:20 the boarding call was announced and great anticipation was building. I almost still couldn't believe I was boarding Lufthansa! I get in the queue and eventually hand over my passport and ticket to the gate agent who quickly glanced at the photo, scanned my boarding pass and with a friendly "Thank You, Bye!" I was merrily trotting down the jetway like a giddy 7 year old smiling like a psychiatric patient. Reaching the A330 boarding door I was greeted by a pleasant FA who guided me to the correct aisle. Holy cow! Im in! Once onboard, its easy to forget how much time it can take to reach your seat onboard a widebody. The seat itself although on the firm side was comfortable enough for a long haul and pitch was surprisingly decent with no entertainment box in the way. I will admit once settling down and looking out the window I felt high and mighty looking down at the domestic jets. After getting settled I was joined by my seat mate, a gentleman from Fayetteville on his way to Prague.

[IMG]IMG_2546 by Jesse Hester, on Flickr[/IMG]

A humble little AA maddog preparing to hop over to ORD. Their days are numbered indeed

[IMG]IMG_2543 by Jesse Hester, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_2544 by Jesse Hester, on Flickr[/IMG]

An FA holding a tray filled with what appears to be plush toys for the younger passengers. I didn't know LH (or any airline for that matter) still distributed toys.

[IMG]IMG_2547 by Jesse Hester, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_2545 by Jesse Hester, on Flickr[/IMG]

Push Back & Taxi

Not surprising for a German airline our flight pushed back right on the dot. During push back the safety video commenced which was a smart and efficient presentation with soothing electra background music. Once Frau Lufty regained consciousness and slowly sailed away from the gate we stroll past other wide bodies: A BA747, Mama Lufty 747 and a sleek looking Icelandair 757.

[IMG]IMG_2551 by Jesse Hester, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_2552 by Jesse Hester, on Flickr[/IMG]

Take-off and first few hours of flight

The aircraft reaches the active runway and we sit for a few moments waiting for the go-ahead from tower. Finally, the RR's come to life and in typical DIA fashion Lufty takes her sweet time getting airborne. I will note however, the take-off was a little strange. Minimal power was applied initially and little by little increased until we lifted off. The airbus confidently soars into the sky and we quickly disappear into the dense clouds not to be seen again for another 9 + hours. The first few minutes were quite bumpy as we flew through dense clouds and clear air turbulence from the nearby mountains but over time dissipated. Later, the purser comes through the intercom to inform us on the inflight service and then roughly 45 mins inflight the FA's offer drinks and a light snack. Feeling festive I order a glass of white wine.

[IMG]IMG_2555 by Jesse Hester, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_2556 by Jesse Hester, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_2563 by Jesse Hester, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_2559 by Jesse Hester, on Flickr[/IMG]

Inflight Service

Once the snack was finished I took the time to familiarize myself with LH's inflight entertainment OS. A good selection of movies both domestic and foreign along with a travel guide that gave insightful tips on what to see and do in Munich as well as advice on German culture. The overhead lights and the FA call button were also operated via the touch screen PTV. First these buttons were above, then they migrated to the armrest controller and now you access them through the screen. The music selection was a little disappointing as the OS did not come with a radio stream but instead a pre-programed limited selection of music that I've never heard of as the artists were predominately German and Scandinavian. The biggest let down was the dysfunctional inflight map. It constantly froze and flickered thus rendering it impossible to watch. Everything else worked fine.
I decide to stretch my legs for a few moments to review the lav. Everything appeared to be in order. Plus, the faucet is motion censored. Once returning to my seat the FA's begin a hot towel service in preparation for dinner. A welcome relief for my dry skin

[IMG]IMG_2564 by Jesse Hester, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_2565 by Jesse Hester, on Flickr[/IMG]

No menu was offered as the FA stated the options to the passengers. The predictable usuals of chicken or pasta were offered or aka "flesh or flour". I chose the chicken but the pasta option with garlic pesto was quite tempting. Despite reading numerous trip reports i've forgotten how tiny the portions were. The food was actually quite good as the rice was tender and sticky, the chicken was moist and flavorful and the salad cool and crisp but the brownie (although decent enough) was unremarkable. The only downside was the ciabatta bread which was cold and hard and as mentioned already the small portion but it did the job and kept hunger at bay.

[IMG]IMG_2562 by Jesse Hester, on Flickr[/IMG]

Bone App The Teeth

[IMG]IMG_2568 by Jesse Hester, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_2572 by Jesse Hester, on Flickr[/IMG]
Post dinner drink offering
[IMG]IMG_2574 by Jesse Hester, on Flickr[/IMG]

Cabin walk around

After the dinner service had concluded why not take a quick lap around economy!

[IMG]IMG_2575 by Jesse Hester, on Flickr[/IMG]

Galley shot. The FA in the middle was pissed when I took the photo. lol!

[IMG]IMG_2576 by Jesse Hester, on Flickr[/IMG]

Finally entering the pond

[IMG]IMG_2579 by Jesse Hester, on Flickr[/IMG]

Lights Out

[IMG]IMG_2580 by Jesse Hester, on Flickr[/IMG]

At this point I've already consumed two servings of two-buck chuck quality wine along with an after dinner hot tea which was making it extremely difficult to stay awake and since i've already watched the films I was interested in I might as well catch some zzzz's while I still can. On the PTVs, there is a function on the screen that enables passengers to set a message that states "Please wake me for meal service" to the FA's. Despite welcoming this feature I was highly doubtful the busy FA's would bother to look and notice so I set my phone buzzer to the estimated time they would commence the breakfast service. All in all, I've managed to achieve about 2 1/2 hours of poor quality sleep (I don't sleep well on planes)

Wake-up, breakfast and arrival

By the time I woke up we were well within EU aerospace with the breakfast service commencing somewhere over southern England with about 90 mins before landing. Again with a hot towel service then shortly followed by the actual meal.

[IMG]IMG_2581 by Jesse Hester, on Flickr[/IMG]

No options were given for breakfast (usually there isn't an option for economy) but offered on this flight was an egg omelette served with potato cakes and a side of spinach (nice and hot) along with a fruit cup (frozen solid, tasteless and had seen fresher days) and a roll that was again cold and hard (why don't airlines ever warm up the bread) along with an assortment of jams and butter. It was a little greasy but overall a surprisingly good meal and definitely hit the spot although the spinach was inedible.

[IMG]IMG_2584 by Jesse Hester, on Flickr[/IMG]

After the final meal/beverage service ended the captain (or was it the purser?) comes through the intercom notifying passengers that we would be arriving in MUC shortly and to take care of any last minute tasks before the seatbelt sign switched back on.

Last minute packing and preparation for descent and arrival

[IMG]IMG_2587 by Jesse Hester, on Flickr[/IMG]

One of my favorite aspects about this flight was the landing. An absolute visual treat to view the quilt like patchwork of farms and rural villages. Willkommen in Bayern! A magical land with fine beer, luxury cars and all the bratwursts to your heart's desire. The song "Pure Imagination" from Willy Wonka came to mind during the process. Fun Fact, the 1970s film Willy Wonka was actually filmed in Munich!

[IMG]IMG_2588 by Jesse Hester, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_2592 by Jesse Hester, on Flickr[/IMG]

"If you want to view paradise
Simply look around and view it"

[IMG]IMG_2594 by Jesse Hester, on Flickr[/IMG]

Arrived at last! During touch-down we made what was arguably one of the smoothest landings i've ever felt. My only indication that the wheels hit the ground were the deployment of the spoilers

[IMG]IMG_2598 by Jesse Hester, on Flickr[/IMG]

This Shark Fin A330 next to us ended up being the aircraft I take on the return trip

[IMG]IMG_2602 by Jesse Hester, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_2604 by Jesse Hester, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_2607 by Jesse Hester, on Flickr[/IMG]

It was a pleasure flying with you Frau Lufty!

[IMG]IMG_2609 by Jesse Hester, on Flickr[/IMG]

Our flight was parked in terminal 2, which means you'll have to take an underground tram to get to the main concourse for customs, baggage, external transport etc. Once disembarking, it took me a bit of minute to figure out where exactly I needed to go as I had to inquire an agent as to where customs were located. Eventually I make it to baggage but it took ages for the luggage to be delivered I began to think that maybe I missed the window. Customs was across the hall where I joined a long queue for non-EU citizens. I hand over my passport to the customs officer where he asked the usual questions such as my purpose in Munich and for the duration. For whatever reason he takes a longer time to analyze my passport and it begins to make me somewhat anxious and I almost replied "Ist da etwas falsch mein herr?" but by then he stamps my passport and says "thank you" and from there I was exposed to the crisp Munich air.

[IMG]IMG_2610 by Jesse Hester, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_2611 by Jesse Hester, on Flickr[/IMG]

Thanks guys for viewing part one. Part two will contain pics from the trip and return flight. Stay tuned!
Old Apr 29, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Great start!! Looking forward to your experience at the Trade Show.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 2:46 pm

Lufthansa meals in economy have really gone down the tubes in the past 5 years or so. They copied SWISS with the garbage chocolate brownie and lettuce.

That chocolate brownie which is also served on American and SWISS makes me puke.

At least UNITED stopped serving this crap and now serve ice cream.

Also these cheap lettuce salads are dull for my taste and a cheap cop out.

Also the legroom on LH I find is limited like BA at 31." AA used to offer 32" but reduced it to 31." I think Air Berlin is 30" if I am not mistaken.

Also LH are constantly on strike. More so than Air France. They break the Guinness world record for air line "strikes."

Yes you must be careful taking pictures of the crew without asking. On a US airline you could have been arrested, dropped off in Newfoundland, Iceland or the Azores, or beaten up. In a way I can understand why some don't like it. I filmed inside a South African Air Link flight the emergency safety presentation and the stewardess asked whether I was in the FBI? She was nice about it but I really learned never to do it again. I do tend to now do it very discreetly on "exotic airlines."

I also dislike connecting at Frankfurt Airport. Slow security and confusing with long walks. Very limited toilet facilities in the older gate areas. The young architects forgot that for some older folks nature can call at times.

Another thing I noticed is that their passport officers Munich and Frankfurt, when using my non EU passport wanted to thoroughly check inside / out that I had not stayed over 90 days in the Shengen area in the past 180 days, though I was only connecting through Germany. They made me thoroughly go through all the previous dates. Had I overstayed, I could have been fined or banned from the Shengen area. That would have been ironic as I also have an EU passport. The Swiss, at least to me, do the same in Geneva. I now use my EU passport to avoid this. Same thing happened to a friend of mine who was connecting in Munich from Rome but she could not understand as they are not like that in Italy or Spain.

LOL the map did not work? On South African the only thing that worked was the map in both directions. I love the maps. For me it's the best part of the entertainment.

Last edited by Bretteee; Apr 29, 2017 at 3:29 pm
Old Apr 29, 2017, 2:59 pm

"Flesh or flour" - nice one!

Good to see LH serving proper hot breakfast vs the trend for 'continental' (aka plastic-wrapped muffins).
Old Apr 29, 2017, 4:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Great TR! Looking forward to the rest.

Originally Posted by welshbrains
Good to see LH serving proper hot breakfast vs the trend for 'continental' (aka plastic-wrapped muffins).
Presumably it's a function of the flight length. Coming from DEN, passengers rate a hot breakfast.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by Bretteee

Another thing I noticed is that their passport officers Munich and Frankfurt, when using my non EU passport wanted to thoroughly check inside / out that I had not stayed over 90 days in the Shengen area in the past 180 days, though I was only connecting through Germany. They made me thoroughly go through all the previous dates. Had I overstayed, I could have been fined or banned from the Shengen area. That would have been ironic as I also have an EU passport. .
This happened to me years ago when flying into FRA from JNB. My South African passport was scrutinised for ages and I was declared unfit to enter the Shengen territory due to me exceeding the 90 day limit. I had no choice but to spend the day at the airport and fly home that night. I spent the day in the Business Lounge working on a spreadsheet and making the calculations - the Immigration Officer was wrong - but it was too late. I got back to JNB, got another visa and flew back the next night to carry on with my work trip. (Thank you kind XXXX Consulate).
The only other place where I was questioned was at the ferry terminal in Helsinki where I had arrived by ferry from Tallinn. But after a few minutes he gave up and said that I look like I can be trusted.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 9:38 am

Great TR and pictures. Thanks for sharing
Old Apr 30, 2017, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Great TR - hope your trade show was successful and that you'll return every year. I used to exhibit at a Nuernberg trade show every February and loved that city so much.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Trexel94 thanks for putting together this report. I was quite surprised at Luftansa's economy catering, which looks quite fine to me.

You're so brave taking those photos of the crew, I've sometimes wanted to but never had the courage!
Old Apr 30, 2017, 2:11 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, IHG Gold, HH Silver
Great report and photos! When I used to connect through DEN a few years ago, I would often see the LH 747 parked at the A gates but I never saw the A330. It looks like you had a nice flight with them across to MUC.

Thanks for sharing.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 757
Great report and photos! When I used to connect through DEN a few years ago, I would often see the LH 747 parked at the A gates but I never saw the A330. It looks like you had a nice flight with them across to MUC.

Thanks for sharing.
Thanks 757,

The LH A330 is definitely one of the rarer birds at DEN. However, during Summer and Fall the route is upgraded to an A346. Yes indeed, the flight was pleasant considering it was only my second international flight
Old Apr 30, 2017, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by headingwest
Trexel94 thanks for putting together this report. I was quite surprised at Luftansa's economy catering, which looks quite fine to me.

You're so brave taking those photos of the crew, I've sometimes wanted to but never had the courage!
Funny how I managed to take that pic. I made it appear that I was messing with an app and turned off the flash. Sure it was disingenuous but I got what I came for.
Old May 1, 2017, 3:23 pm

Roadwarrior:

The problem is that Shengen passport stamps don't warn about the 90 day rule. So no one knows about it unless you check.

The British are smart. They make it clear on their stamps that you cannot remain in the UK for more than 6 months in the year.

The Swiss emigration also made an error with my sister as they can't count. It would be much easier to restrict stays in months instead of in days.
Old May 2, 2017, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Bretteee
Roadwarrior:

The problem is that Shengen passport stamps don't warn about the 90 day rule. So no one knows about it unless you check.

The British are smart. They make it clear on their stamps that you cannot remain in the UK for more than 6 months in the year.

The Swiss emigration also made an error with my sister as they can't count. It would be much easier to restrict stays in months instead of in days.
So true. As I learnt the hard way. But, I spent that day working on a spreadsheet calculating the entry and exit dates - that was why I realised that they made an error by a few days.
But lesson learnt - I maintained that damn document for years after to avoid the same fate.
Old May 2, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Thanks for sharing ^ Nice TR

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.