Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Konnichiwa! LH F (via FRA FCT & a 911) to Japan for Sakura. Back home via Shanghai.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Konnichiwa! LH F (via FRA FCT & a 911) to Japan for Sakura. Back home via Shanghai.

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2017, 12:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Originally Posted by rosensfole
Brilliant again JohnRain. I really must visit Kyoto again, it's been a while (more than 15 years I think!) and each time has only been for a day or two, there's too much to see for such quick visits.

My then wife was disappointed that we didn't see any Geisha. Well, she didn't but I did! I told her many times that they're not out and about until between 5 and 7pm and when it came to time to wander round Gion she decided to chill out in the hotel instead because we'd spent the day climbing hills. I went out and came across 2 or 3 pairs of Geisha on their way to "clients" - I thought it politic to not mention this to the mrs when I got back
Thanks so much for your compliment, rosensfole!
I also felt I only scratched the surface as Kyoto has indeed so much to offer it takes several trips to get a grasp of it.
Funny that you mention the geishas as in my case Mrs JohnRain was just as curious as me to see them...

Originally Posted by 747FC
JR: Great pix, once again!

Next time you run across a Japanese wedding (at least those in Hawaii with Japanese-Americans), you might want to raise a glass and say:

“Shinro shimpu, banzai!” which means “Long life and happiness to the bride and groom.”
Thanks a lot for your comment, 747FC!
That's good to know...

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
I'm sorry to disappoint you but many of them are Chinese tourists and not geisha.
But, but, I thought that... what?
This is like saying the tooth fairy doesn't exist either!
Thanks for bursting my bubble, NewbieRunner...
Actually it was the concierge of the St Regis Osaka who enlightened me about the Chinese tourists posing as geishas.
Old May 31, 2017, 1:05 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, KFEG
Thanks for the TR and the excellent photos as always. St Regis Osaka looks fantastic!
Old May 31, 2017, 6:56 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by JohnRain
Thanks so much for your compliment, rosensfole! .
You're welcome - always look out for your reports.

Thankfully I know that Geisha have a particular design on their necks and so are simple to spot once you know...

Old May 31, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: FT

Thankfully I know that Geisha have a particular design on their necks and so are simple to spot once you know...

Simple....not so sure. And I think that the more correct term would be Maiko or Geiko depending on the age.

there are also some very very subtle things that you must be able to notice to be sure. that that neck make up but one item but items such as a burabura and a painted upper lip would be a give away that they are not real as I have been advised by someone who appears to know their stuff that if they have a burabura they would be too young to have a painted upper lip also....so that design is probably not determinitive.

same with whether the hair ornament is the correct one for the month or time of year etc.

apparently it is a pretty complicated stuff
Old May 31, 2017, 1:08 pm

Our group of 6 just got back from Japan. I was told that it was a big hassle to manage luggage on the trains etc. I did not find that to be the case and I wouldn't want to have to worry about smaller bags and what not. We moved from Tokyo/Hakone/Hiroshima/Kyoto/Osaka and there is an expense to all this shipping of luggage too.

Originally Posted by Cityflyer10
+1 on takkyubin.

While it is next day delivery, a smaller weekender type bag worked fine for us having a change of clothes, toiletries etc.

You simply call the front desk, they send bell staff to measure the luggage, and give you the receipt , and the luggage should be waiting for you in your next hotel room the following day. Took all of 5 minutes and saved a ton of hassle on the transfer!
Old May 31, 2017, 2:12 pm

As to the geishas in Kyoto, we saw many people dressed up as such. Many of the girls were out celebrating the completion of their exams prior to university. You can rent them for the day or weekend or whatever. There were plenty of shops to do so.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 1:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dctravels74
Thanks for the TR and the excellent photos as always. St Regis Osaka looks fantastic!
Thank you very much for your kind words, dctravels74!
The StR Osaka is a great hotel indeed, much fresher and better located than the RC IMO.

Thanks for the tip rosensfole!

Originally Posted by mkjr
Simple....not so sure. And I think that the more correct term would be Maiko or Geiko depending on the age.

there are also some very very subtle things that you must be able to notice to be sure. that that neck make up but one item but items such as a burabura and a painted upper lip would be a give away that they are not real as I have been advised by someone who appears to know their stuff that if they have a burabura they would be too young to have a painted upper lip also....so that design is probably not determinitive.

same with whether the hair ornament is the correct one for the month or time of year etc. apparently it is a pretty complicated stuff
That sounds very complicated indeed, mkjr.
I guess this is just one of the many examples of how complex the japanese society is. Fascinating though.

Originally Posted by farbster
Our group of 6 just got back from Japan. I was told that it was a big hassle to manage luggage on the trains etc. I did not find that to be the case and I wouldn't want to have to worry about smaller bags and what not. We moved from Tokyo/Hakone/Hiroshima/Kyoto/Osaka and there is an expense to all this shipping of luggage too.
While the concept of takkyubin is great I think it's probably not for me as I like to have all my things with me all of the time, farbster.

Originally Posted by farbster
As to the geishas in Kyoto, we saw many people dressed up as such. Many of the girls were out celebrating the completion of their exams prior to university. You can rent them for the day or weekend or whatever. There were plenty of shops to do so.
Are you talking about renting the geishas or the costumes, farbster?
Old Jun 5, 2017, 3:09 am
Original Poster

The next and final day in Kyoto started with a visit of Iwatayama Monkey Park.

This attraction isn't for the lazy as you have to take a pretty steep 30 minute hike through the woods...

...before you see the first monkey...

... or more specifically: Japanese Macaques also known as Snow Monkeys.

Once you reach the top of the hill the views are quite rewarding...

...but only to those who have the right vantage point.

If you want to see all of Kyoto...

...it is recommended to use the right gear.

First step before asking your sweetheart out on a date: a good perm.

Feeding the monkeys is part of the experience...

... as they seem to have an endless appetite for peanuts...

...more peanuts...

...still more peanuts...

All downhill from here.

Typical Kyoto house.

Yet another Kyoto highlight: the Arashiyama bamboo forest.

Tenryu-Ji temple.

Daikakuji Temple.

And finally: the Philosopher's Path, a pleasant stone path through the northern part of Kyoto's Higashiyama district. The path follows a canal which is lined by hundreds of cherry trees. Approximately two kilometers long, the path gets its name from Nishida Kitaro, one of Japan's most famous philosophers, who was said to practice meditation while walking this route on his daily commute to Kyoto University.

Busy times.

A beautiful lunch.

After another incredible voyage through the centuries, back to Osaka and the real world, which according to Mrs JohnRain starts at Hermès. Fortunately she quickly found out that the prices in Japan aren't attractive at all, which is why we spent more time in the Hermès Café than in the actual store. The little Birkin-bag-shaped chocolates were complimentary -shocker!- or rather they were included in the 10$ coffee.

Back to the St Regis for a well-deserved Happy Hour....

...and a quick in-room dinner as we were exhausted.

Final impressions of the hotel on our last morning...

Up Next: JAL Business Class to Shanghai & Park Hyatt Shanghai.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 4:50 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
JR, did I just noticed that you have on purple/lavender pants when you took the photo of the bed?

Only you can pull this off, my friend

Too bad you can't redeem style points for luxe hotels...
Old Jun 6, 2017, 3:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
JR, did I just noticed that you have on purple/lavender pants when you took the photo of the bed?

Only you can pull this off, my friend

Too bad you can't redeem style points for luxe hotels...
LOL BESVISOR, you certainly have a trained eye...
Purple it is indeed!
Old Jun 6, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: LH Senator, CX Diamond, UA Prem Plat, Fans of MO Elite
JohnRain, thanks for another well written, nicely photographed and thoroughly enjoyable TR.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 11:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mr. Strong
JohnRain, thanks for another well written, nicely photographed and thoroughly enjoyable TR.
Thank you very much for your continuing support, Mr. Strong!
Old Jun 8, 2017, 6:25 am

Programs: BA Gold
What an amazing TR JohnRain! Have booked a trip taking in Tokyo, Hakone, Kyoto, Miyajima and Osaka for Mrs Lem and I next year - this TR just makes me want it to happen even sooner...
Old Jun 9, 2017, 1:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by darthlemsip
What an amazing TR JohnRain! Have booked a trip taking in Tokyo, Hakone, Kyoto, Miyajima and Osaka for Mrs Lem and I next year - this TR just makes me want it to happen even sooner...
Thanks so much, darthlemsip!
Your itinerary sounds epic, hopefully you'll take us with you via a TR...

Update: the next installment will be online on Saturday.

Last edited by JohnRain; Jun 10, 2017 at 1:57 am
Old Jun 10, 2017, 2:18 am
Original Poster

No First Class today as JAL only flies 738's and 321's from Osaka to Shanghai.

Go!

The Sakura lounge was pleasant enough...

... with the booze selection being the highlight. I had never tasted Japanese plum wine before and found it very enjoyable, especially when adding an ice cube or two.
Hey, don't judge, I also enjoy my daily glass of Romanée Conti Grand Cru on ice...
What's even more remarkable is that even Mrs JohnRain joined the party (she never drinks). After a couple of glasses we were just in the right mood to board the plane, ready for our next adventure, Mainland China.

Our bird.

No F but at least a C cabin worthy of its name.

Bye Osaka!

I tried both the western...

... and the Japanese lunch options.

After dessert I was looking forward to napping a bit but before long we were already starting our descent.

Hello China!

The equivalent of the total population of Geneva will probably soon be living in this new development.

Final approach.

PVG

On our way to the hotel.

Here we are, the second-highest hotel in the world.

Take me to the top.

Upon entering our 130 sqm Bund View Suite, I was welcomed by quite a view.

I was pleased to see that my friend Toto had also made it to the hotel.

Dinner at 100 Century Avenue, located on the 91st floor of the PH.

One penny for every duck eaten in China...

Dumplings & tea. We're now officially in Mainland China.

Up Next: Holy Smog!

Last edited by JohnRain; Jun 10, 2017 at 5:01 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.