Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Our "Trip of a Lifetime" (warning - long!)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Our "Trip of a Lifetime" (warning - long!)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2003, 6:09 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
Excellent report. Great stuff to read .
Old Dec 31, 2003, 5:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
BigLar

I loved your trip report...very good! I'm sorry for bringing it up again, but I nearly p!ssed myself laughing at this:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">They were unable to explain just what part of the cow was the jambon; perhaps it's better I don't know</font>
Not laughing at you but just the humour in the whole sentence - great!
Old Jan 3, 2004, 4:37 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BigLar:
"Do you take checks?". She said, "Yes, as long as they're in Euros." Whew! I quickly dug out my checkbook and wrote out a check. She took the check and the money and bid us au revoir.
</font>
BigLar

I meant to ask you, how do you write a Euro cheque on a (presumeably) US bank account?

Does your bank let you do this or were you talking about traveller's cheques?
Old Jan 3, 2004, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LondonElite:
BigLar

I meant to ask you, how do you write a Euro cheque on a (presumeably) US bank account?

Does your bank let you do this or were you talking about traveller's cheques?
</font>
I just scratched out the "$" and wrote in the euro symbol. Then I wrote "payable in euros". She looked at the check and took it.

The check has not cleared yet, so I wrote her, assuring her I had no intention of "stiffing" her - if there was a problem, she should let me know and I would work out an alternate form of payment. As yet, I've had no response.

So, I don't know what happened. I'm more than willing to pay, but if the mail isn't getting through, I'm at a loss as to what to do next.

Old Jan 5, 2004, 2:37 am
Suspended

The reason I asked was that I'm not quite sure what she would do with the cheque.

If she presents it to her bank, they would tell her that they have no relationship with your bank but they could pursue it (for a big charge). Their bank would then (either electronically or by telephone) get in charge with your bank for payment.

Your bank would likely say "huh? Euros? Ok, for a fee" and pay out, electronically.

Eventually I'm sure she would get her money but it will probably involve fees for both her and you since the banking system is not really set up to resolve these sort of transactions.

Don't know, but maybe wiring the money directly is cheaper and faster.
Old Apr 17, 2004, 9:02 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman Starwood Gold Continental Platinum
This was an amazing report, wow! @:-)
Old Apr 23, 2004, 7:56 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by BigLar
[b] I resisted the temptation to "moon" the coach pax. Maybe next time.
I just can't wipe away the tears of laughter!!!

I salute you BigLar for your exquisitely entertaining report. Full of information, canny observations and wit. And when we least expect it you sock us with a hilarious, irreverent comment like that one. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.