MASKS and PLASTIC GLOVES, is this rude or Smooth as Silk Service? TG Y BKK-CNX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2003, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.

TG 122 Y
BKK-CNX
04 APR 03
AB333

Check out on the Executive Floor from the BKK Conrad was almost accomplished 'per normal routine,' until such time as I noticed a minor restaurant charge on my portfolio bill - which clearly wasn't mine. 'My goodness, there's an CHARGE on my bill,' I asked...?

Well, Julie, the Exectutive Floor Mgr. pressed a few buttons.... and so the taxi pulled away from the hotel... with me having accomplished at GLON 6 day stay totally4free. As the maniacle driver sped toward the airport, I briefly thought about friend of mine who had just returned to ABQ from a quick 6 day trip to LON - a trip in which he had spent almost $3K. I momentarily thought about his trip - and then compared it with my financial outlay on this trip - and I, of course, smiled, 'per normal routine.'

The taxi ride from the hotel to Don Muang Airport cost precisely 300 baht... an amount which usually does not include the hiway expressway fees, I'm told... so I'm thinking that, perhaps, I got those tolls4free too...??? So now, perhaps even the Gov't of Thailand is allowing me to tvl4free..??? More likely, the taxi dude was just giving me a break... but my original story sounded a bit better.. doncha think?

Anyway, the day before my flight, I had visited the TG CTO to make a J booking from BKK to CNX and this was very easily done with the efficient, but not particularly friendly, TG folks who banged on their computer keyboards thru heavy plastic gloves and who spoke to me with their eyes... since their smiles were hidden behind typical MASH green surgical masks.

I think that I arrived in BKK just in the nick of time to notice that there is a new fashion trend developing here... it's the fashionable trend of wearing designer masks. I noticed many different styles and colors of these masks at Don Muang Airport. There were even very elaborate ones being worn, with like buttons and dials on them... but don't ask me how these buttons are used. The one I liked best was being show cased by an American Beverly Hills 'trend setter type' - perfectly sun tanned from head to toe. She was all decked out in a PINK pants suit... with a perfectly matching pink mask. Quite stylish was my thought, after thinking about it for just a moment or two.

So far on this trip to Asia, all segments to date had been accomplished in F. SuddenIy and completely out of the blue, I began to have this urge to experience some local culture with 'the masses' once again... and so purely on a whim, I stopped by the counter where J was rapidly changed to Y... twenty yankie bucks was saved... and 32 G was assigned, as I recall.

As I moved thru the various obligatory check points at the airport, I noticed that all public contact people AT THAI were hidding behind those green surgical masks.... I think that they should at least acquire purple ones to match the light purple uniforms.

After check-in, I moved on over to the TG Lounge - with admission granted without even a check of the appropriate cards that I carry - a not particulary impressive kind of place... but warm 'Puff Pastries' were being served. Yum.

Boarding from Gate 8 was to begin at 12:45P and was called pretty much on time. But this is a shuttle gate... and when all were boarded, all Y seats were taken and J was about half full. As I boarded the aircraft, I noticed that all in-flight service crew members wore masks on board. I almost got the feeling that their action of 'mask wearing' was kind of rude, but I dispelled these thoughts after a momentary reflection.

We pushed roughtly 10 minutes late... and one should know that I always discount an airlines 'trip rating' heavily due to that. The interior was quite pleasing on this a relatively new and spotlessly clean A-333. I've always liked TG's outside livery, but the white exteriors just always look dirty: they are very 'exaust ladden looking' to me. Perhaps, an impressive, but soft dirty grey would better serve this carrier - rather than that white exterior color that they have chosen.

As I took my seat, I noticed that the change from J to Y was a BIG MISTAKE. I was surrounded amongst a sea of screaming babies... and they were everywhere! To my left, to my right, in front of me and in back. And they cried and they cried, and they cried. And they screamed and they yelled... and they got louder and louder and louder. And they coughed, and they slobbered, and they blew out snot like you wouldn't believe! In fact, there was a lot of coughing on this flight, something which I have never noticed before. This was like a snot factory flight! Kleenex would have been very, very proud.

Anyway, these children did not help to make me a happy camper! And so now I believe that all children under 7 or so should be sedated... and sent via Federal Express!

Finally, we pushed about 10 minutes late... and taxied forever... and the kids screamed and they screamed and they bawled: I thought I was gonna die!

Then suddenly we were airborne, and in complete unison, everyone of those little snots must have been placed in the 'off position.' I never heard another word from them again.

The seat belt sign went off... and service began immediately. I was impressed with Y snack service... everything comes to you in a box... but unlike UA 'boxie service,' this one I kinda liked! First of all, the box actually looks nice... not the typical KFC kind of thing. It's bigger, longer, more colorful, and flatter than Uniteds. So it looks like ur actually getting more... presentation is very important in my book. The muted purple colors on the outsite are nice. There's no need for a drink cart with TG... cause everything's included inside the box.

Water and OJ were right there in the box... and so was a sampling of TG's 'Puffed Pastry service.' My flight had a chicken Puffed Pastry with veggies... nice and flaky too. But the onboard selection tasted even better than that served in the TG Lounge. Yummy, believe it or not, pretty good - was my review. A side of some kind of chicken salad was included too. Also, there was some kind of stuffed 'pear thingie.' I found it to be an interesting dessert diversion. I liked it too. Not too sweet, just right.

The F/A's wore plastic gloves and masks at all times while dealing with the psgrs. So the boxes, coffee, and tea were all served from gloved, masked attendants.

In general, F/A's tend to be attracked to me, and so the pursor and I had an interesting conversation regarding the masks.. and the new Asian scare: SARS. Seems alot of TG F/A wanted to call in sick if not allowed to use them... As I understand it, SQ does not yet allow their F/A's to wear them. Anyway, the newspaper here the other day reported that there have only been 5 cases of SARS in Thailand - and no deaths have been reported. All TG flights worldwide are being sprayed after each trip, the pursor told me.

Returning to my story, the 50 minute flight arrived on time into CNX. But to be perfectly honest, I felt like I was being served by nurses... or about to undergo some nasty medical procedure that is best left undiscussed.

I understand the concepts.... but the experience left me feeling just a little too impersonal... too sterile for my liking. We arrived on time and my wheelie was amongst the last to hit the circling belt... per normal routine.

I've been traveling now for about 9 days - so I guess it must be time to change my second hundred into local currency... get it?

tvl4free is my name.

TG Rating: A scale - 9.0 (minus)

On second thought, I'll give TG a 10.0 plus
- just cos TG mgmt thought well enough of it's employees to allow them to even wear the gloves and masks ONBOARD AT ALL!. Good job Thai!

Toodles.

[This message has been edited by tvl4free (edited 04-05-2003).]
Old Apr 4, 2003, 11:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, FB Gold
Nice report. Very creative :-)

What did you think of the Conrad? I am currently debating between the Conrad and the Peninsula in Bangkok for an upcoming trip. Both seem to be in a similar price range.

Any advice would be appreciated.

lopez151

Edited to add that I liked the report.

[This message has been edited by lopez151 (edited 04-04-2003).]
Old Apr 4, 2003, 11:42 pm

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tvl4free:
...I began to have this urge to experience some local culture with 'the masses' once again... and so purely on a whim, I stopped by the counter where J was rapidly changed to Y...</font>
I truly admire your courage in traveling in Y on an ex-BKK flight in this SARS situation.

TG flights, in my experience, have always been very packed at the back. OTOH, even the J cabin has always been very cramped.

Old Apr 5, 2003, 2:17 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Fun report! It looks like a lot has changed at Don Muang in the few days since I was last there (April 1). Then, the only people wearing masks were the people who collected health forms at the gate (no "full inspection" then), plus the occasional Asian tourist.

I know it might be painful to travel without earning/burning miles, points, etc, but all the masks and such on TG makes me think I'd have to favor an alternative means of first-class transportation: the sleeper train! Cheaper than TG Y but slower, though I suppose I've got to sleep at some point anyway. Plus, more "local culture," no paying for the taxi to the airport, and no waiting for the baggage claim.

As for the dirty exteriors, that reminds me of the guys I saw cleaning the underbelly of a TG 747-400 the other day. No fewer than ten guys spent quite a while scrubbing away with rags on long sticks, which they occasionally dipped in a bucket of water. I wonder if that procedure is in Boeing's 747 manual?

[This message has been edited by danang (edited 04-05-2003).]
Old Apr 5, 2003, 6:46 am

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
As I took my seat, I noticed that the change from J to Y was a BIG MISTAKE.
</font>
Duh!!!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">The taxi ride from the hotel to Don Muang Airport cost precisely 300 baht... an amount which usually does not include the hiway expressway fees, I'm told...</font>
Was the cab company the typical cab service for the Thais? Or was this a hotel/airport cab? I remember paying THB80-THB100 at MOST within Bangkok for regular cab service. Or is it because it's the airport that it's that much more expensive?

- Pat
Old Apr 5, 2003, 8:53 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP& 2Million miler, Skywards Gold, Delta Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold
300 Bahts is just about normal from city to the airport. It is a 30 minute ride. Most of the taxi rides inside the city are shorter and cost less than 100 Bahts
Old Apr 7, 2003, 4:13 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, FB Platinum, Emirates
Nice report!

I flew China Airlines in economy BKK-HKG-BKK last week - all flight attendants had masks and gloves, a shame as they were all young and really attractive

I've usually paid THB 170-200 plus tolls 40 or 70 baht depending if you take the tollway or not from the JW Marriott which isn't too far from the Conrad. Last Saturday, the meter stopped at exactly 299 Baht after 51kms and 1h02min from Sukhumvit to Don Muang via the Marriott Riverside...
Old Apr 8, 2003, 11:00 am

Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt LT Globalist, Bonvoy LTE, IHG Diam, HH Gold, Amtrak Sel Exec
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by drbala:
300 Bahts is just about normal from city to the airport. It is a 30 minute ride. Most of the taxi rides inside the city are shorter and cost less than 100 Bahts</font>
This is true, and if they turn the meter on it's closer to 150-200 THB, but if you're headed to BKK to catch UA 876 which departs at 7 am (which is when I'm usually headed there...) good luck finding a cab to take you there for 300 THB esp. if you're staying at the Grand Hyatt (which, again, is usually where I am). 350 seems to be the best I can do, and there's no question of tolls because at 4 am, there's no need to take the expressway... I fought w/the cab drivers about these ludicrous fares the first few times I was there-- now I've given up and just ante up the $$.
Old Apr 8, 2003, 4:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold. EI GoldCircle
i am currently looking in to this flight to book it as i have to be in CNX for the end of may i will be arriving into BKK on J on most likely AY or Qantas

what is this flight like?
its only a hour lounge is it worth a J fare what can i expect in regards to land and air treatment? from reading some of the posts Y is not to be dared!!!
BTW i am not paying for the trip but feel that i cant rip them off its just not nice

IFY
Old Apr 11, 2003, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
Posted fare from airport to city is 300 plus 50 commission plus highway tolls. Was just advised by a local that the way to save is to catch a cab from the upper level rather than the lower... and one can avoid the 50... plus use the meter and get the trip for 150-200 , plus toll, if expressway option is used.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.