Wiki Posts
Search

QF 25 BNE-AKL-LAX in J, 5 (then 6) April

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2003, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT
QF 25 BNE-AKL-LAX in J, 5 (then 6) April

My husband and I were flying on AA award tickets. Thanks to the QF board, I learned than F service on this route had been axed earlier this year, so I requested (and got) 2 seats in the front cabin. J seats, but the extra roominess of 2-2 (and bathrooms with windows) made it feel a _little_ like F.

The BNE-AKL leg was uneventful; had a nice Asian-style salmon salad for lunch. The fun started in AKL, where, while waiting in the Qantas Club (very nice, but the cappucino wasn't quite as good as in BNE, as I was to learn the next AM, but I'm getting ahead of myself....) we learned that there was a problem with the "windscreen demister." They hoped to have it fixed and depart about an hour behind schedule, but lo and behold, it was eventually determined that a new windscreen was needed, and that repairs couldn't be completed that evening. So, multiple hundreds of pax were bussed to two different hotels. We were sent to the Novotel Ibis, which was really pretty nice, although quite a way from the airport. At the hotel, there was a buffet dinner (not exactly gourmet, but considering they were feeding about 200 people on an hour's notice...), but no wine (to paraphrase Janis Joplin, if you ever needed a drink, it oughtta be when your flight's delayed...) The following AM it was a cattle call for the buses at 5:30. Was able to make a free international call from the Qantas Club (could've done it the previous evening, too, but there was quite a queue).

The flight itself was again uneventful. The FA's and the Customer Service Agent (Cheryl)aboard were wonderful. Cheryl was very concerned about the quality of the hotels, and said she thought perhaps the J pax should've been sent in taxis (hey, I'm on a free ticket, I'm just happy you're taking care of me).

Of course, those of us with connections in LAX (we were going to BOS) had to spend the night (on QF's nickel) yet again, since we didn't get in until around midnight. I had called AA (on my nickel) from the hotel, and had booked us on the 7:30 AM non-stop; QF was going to put us on the 1:15 PM.

All in all, I thought the QF service was very good, and instead of jet lag, I just have plain old sleep deprivation!
Old Apr 8, 2003, 5:05 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
trekker - sorry about your challenges on your great trip...things always get better though..

Looking forward to more writing from you...

Blessings,

------------------
Patrick A. Inouye, CMT
volunteer trip reports moderator
Old Apr 11, 2003, 3:21 am

At least you got a decent sleep in a proper bed in AKL which maybe earned you some points. Was the flight crowded in C/J? Big load difference on BNE-AKL and AKL-LAX?
Old Apr 11, 2003, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Spider:
Was the flight crowded in C/J? Big load difference on BNE-AKL and AKL-LAX?[/B]</font>
The front cabin (rows 1-5, with 1-4 being 2-2 and row 5 2-2-2) was full AKL-LAX, several empty seats BNE-AKL. There were several empty seats AKL-LAX in the next cabin (2 rows of 2-3-2). I don't know about upstairs. On our flight to Oz (QF 94 LAX-MEL), J was almost completly full (full upstairs, 2 or 3 empty middle seats downstairs).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.