Wiki Posts
Search

New Years in Rome and Malta via Lufthansa and BA First Class

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2017, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Well, vino and cheese is really not the most difficult dish, says a lot about the kitchen Meals at Hassler looks great, didnīt expect this. Like the prictures of the Trevi-maniac
Old Jan 11, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by work2fly
Great report - looking forward to the rest!

Just my opinion, I'm not sure what to think about the matching wallpaper, nightstands, headboard and upholstery in the Hassler suite...it kind of makes me dizzy
Made me dizzy also. lol

Great trip report as always SFO77. Belated cheers for a great 2017! ^

Last edited by apodo77; Jan 11, 2017 at 11:31 am
Old Jan 11, 2017, 3:56 pm

Programs: QF Plat / OWE (Lifetime Gold), Aeroplan SE, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Avis Pres't Circle
Thanks SFO777 for another great TR.

I am a bit surprised at the crowd levels. I guess it is a holiday week, although years ago we went to Venice between Christmas and New Year and it *almost* felt like we had the place to ourselves. We were able to walk into restaurants and explore the city in a very relaxed way. The crowds built a bit towards New Year, but we left on 31/12 to return home to London. We vowed we would only go to Italian cities for museum hopping and restaurant trying in winter after that.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 5:40 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Lots of extra folk in Rome Dec 31 - Jan 7 for papal celebrations, a big choirs festival (mostly Americans), etc, etc. Happens every year.

SFO777: Next time you're in Rome, make time to have lunch at Roma Sparita, a modest restaurant right next to Santa Cecilia but with excellent cooking, who do the best Cacio e Pepe in town. We sat outside in the last week of November, and it was glorious (but inside is good, too). Or just a block away, Sciapō, also excellent cuisine in a "street" restaurant. Dinner at La Vecchia Locanda, near Piazza Navona/Pantheon, but off the beaten track (ask for a table downstairs) will delight you with authentic country cuisine of high quality. The soups are amazing, just for a start. Da Luigi next to the Campo de Fiori is always good. Outside in the summer, inside in the winter.

Loads of other places, of course, but those are the first that spring to mind. And the reason I'm mentioning them is that they are all off the main tourist track.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:19 pm

Such a splendid trip report! I so very much appreciate the bluntness, the humor and the truly lovely photos. I must say, though, that I miss the "Girls of ___" found in earlier trip reports.

I've had three experiences at the Hassler, courtesy of my employer. Service was, indeed, very good; but, that suffocatingly traditional decor made it feel like I was staying in a Bensonhurst funeral parlor. However, on my last visit, my boss had to unexpectedly return to the US and I got to move into his room: the gloriously beautiful Trinita dei Monti Suite. Just stunning!
Old Jan 12, 2017, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
SFO777 ... I've jumped ahead to your Blog for the Malta bits, as I know Malta reasonably well.

Corinthia ... indeed in a remote location, and we've resisted using it for years. Your review tells us it was a good decision!

M'Dina ... yes, the Xara Palace and De Mondion Restaurant are undoubtedly Maltese jewels. That's where we go!

Valetta ... Good fishy place is Palazzo Precca How was the 'Immigrant' situation? I'd heard it's getting a bit crowded with them.

We really must try to get back there this year.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SFO777
Thank you nequine. Yeah, it was pretty annoying at times especially when a wave of 100 tour groupers pushed thru. It was so bad that even Mrs. SFO777 yelled at a woman from a certain unnamed 1B+ population country who tried to cut in a line and then I elbowed the same woman when she persisted.
Yip that sounds quite familiar to the behaviour I saw when we were in Australia/NZ last Easter!

Great pics of the Colosseum and the NYD parade.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 10:58 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Originally Posted by Vaterland
I must say, though, that I miss the "Girls of ___" found in earlier trip reports.
You did not pay enough attention to this TR Vaterland
Excellent photography SFO.
You make for the best IFE when I'm on another boring euro flight.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 1:57 pm

Thanks for sharing. Rome is one of my favourite cities

The trick with the Vatican is to book with a company that has early morning privilages, you get into the Museums an hour before the doors open. Last year, I booked a private tour for family members. We were in the Sistine Chapel with only about 20 other people.

Disappointing about your experience at Roscoli's, usually if you stick to the antipasti and primi, it is quite good.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
"Yo, how about closing the curtain to the galley??"

When an SFO777 TR comes up, you gotta read it! Great as always!
Old Jan 12, 2017, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by T8191
How was the 'Immigrant' situation? I'd heard it's getting a bit crowded with
Saw camps in 2008. Looked like a prison and were ruled by military institutions.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by offerendum
Saw camps in 2008. Looked like a prison and were ruled by military institutions.
Yes, there was quite a large camp near Hal Far in 2014. But during the day Valetta was already quite full of immigrants wandering around. I gather it's got even worse in the last couple of years. They made it a bit uncomfortable at times.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: AA EXP Marriott Ambassador
Another great TR thanks!!
Old Jan 13, 2017, 6:09 pm

Trip report idea and Browns 16-0 this year

From reading your Nepal trip report I have an idea for a trip report You and Mrs SFO should climb Mount Everest bet she will love that

Last year I predicted the Browns to go 16-0 and they went 1-15 last year well this is a new beginning for the Browns they're going 16-0 this year Robert Griffin III Josh Gordon Corey Coleman Gary Barnidge and Joe Thomas five key components good team and I'm buying it
Old Jan 14, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: DL Diamond, United Gold, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Thanks for keeping the hits coming. The Colosseum looks remarkable cleaned. We saw it mid-process over the year-end holidays in 2015 and then completed just before Christmas. I thought that this article describing how Tod's spent $33M towards the cleaning and how other Italian fashion houses are spearheading restorations around the country was interesting. http://www.departures.com/lifestyle/...m?iid=sr-link2

Sincere thanks for posting your fascinating adventures.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.