Reload this Page >

New Years in Rome and Malta via Lufthansa and BA First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Years in Rome and Malta via Lufthansa and BA First Class

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2017, 3:39 pm

I hope you make it to the Villa Farnesina.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 4:00 pm

Idea for trip report

I have an idea for a trip report The island of Jeju in South Korea this is Mrs SFO's chance to finally experience Korean Air here's a link if you have not heard of it
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jejudo
Old Jan 7, 2017, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by glasman19
Holy Smokes, just read up on your .com. The people! You weren't kidding. Hope Mrs SFO recovered.
Thanks glasman19.

Originally Posted by mauld
And chairs, and bedding, and couch etc. Nice hotel, but do you think they went a bit overboard on the 'matching decor'
PS-- Great Trip Report!
Yeah, Decorators Run Wild for sure. Thank you mauld.

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Probably, among other factors. I'm not sure that the kickback is huge, but I think the restaurant has a reputation of being popular among Americans. I think it's seen a bit of celebrity clientele in the past. So when you ask where to go, it's front of mind. It's not as though Romans hate it - the one time I went there (suggested by the St. Regis concierge, many years ago) there were plenty of Italians in the dining room. The thing I remember about it, and what others who end up there tell me about it, is that it's a safe bet. It'll never be spectacular, but the food will be at least average and the service very good. And no matter what, the place isn't a dump inside. All things considered, it's not the worst place to end up on a blind rec. And that's way more than I ever expected to write about Tullio in 2017.
Thanks PWTrav. Indeed, service at Tullio was excellent but the food, not so much.

Originally Posted by offerendum
They are reasonable but with around 150 € Economy I don´t really see the reason to pay the surcharge. Same with LH. Could have for 400 € more 2 Persons inner European J-flights. But can´t see the reason (says the person who don´t fly int. J).
LOL. Thanks offerendum. I was comparing KM fares to LH that wants €600 for a 60 minute Euro J Economy with an open middle seat. Compared to that, it was a bargain.

Originally Posted by MarkCron
Shame you missed the buffalo mozzarella at Roscioli as it is the best I've ever had.
Now you tell me. LOL. Thanks MarkCron.

Originally Posted by halfcape
I hope you make it to the Villa Farnesina.
Unfortunately, not this trip.

Originally Posted by AtlFlyer123
I have an idea for a trip report The island of Jeju in South Korea this is Mrs SFO's chance to finally experience Korean Air here's a link if you have not heard of it
Thanks AtlFlyer123.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 3:36 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Great pics inside Vatican City despite the horrendous crowds! Jeez talk about squeezing folk in!!!
Old Jan 8, 2017, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by nequine
Great pics inside Vatican City despite the horrendous crowds! Jeez talk about squeezing folk in!!!
Who says people are leaving the Catholic Church?
Old Jan 8, 2017, 6:18 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
I loved the Vatican pics. I went twice on my last trip to Rome; one was at night and wasn't crowded and the next one was at noon or so. It was a bit more crowded but we had this hilarious Scottish nun doing the narration. Looking forward to the Malta portion.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
SFO777, thank you so much for yet another tour de force around the world of First Class travel. As I read your printed words, I can't seem to get this Robin Leach accent out of my head!

I was particularly sorry to hear of your sub par experience on Lufthansa. My sole experience with their First Class (EZE-FRA) was highlighted by the excellent crew, including the motherly Inga who looked very much like the actress Linda Evans.

Being based out of Interior Alaska, I don't get a chance to fly Star Alliance carriers all that often - all the more so due to United's switch to revenue based status accrual. That said, I recently cashed in what I consider to be an excellent deal on Business Class travel between Taipei and Nadi, Fiji. 30000 miles each way flying the likes of Thai, Asiana, Air New Zealand, Air China and EVA. Alas, it would seem my days of First Class award redemption via United are over.

That said, traveling vicariously on Star Alliance carriers with you and Mrs. 777 continues to be a thoroughly enjoyable pastime. Thanks again! ^
Old Jan 9, 2017, 6:07 pm

LH F experience is now parallel to the latest Woody Allen movie.

I took JAL F ex-Japan 2 times in the last month and a half. Both times RyuGin provided the catering. Only the main dish and the desserts were the same. The other 4 courses were completely different. It's ridiculous how LH F is still using the same starter for years.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Thumbs up Malta? Great Report, As Always

Agree. ^

I've been to the Vatican twice.
Always amazed that people wait in the horrendous lines (don't buy advance tickets).

FYI --
If possible, do the Vatican Excavations Tour, which takes you under the Basilica into the necropolis and the tomb (they say) of St. Peter.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Rome Day 2

This morning we are off with Gianluca to the wonderful Borghese Gallery.

The Borghese was a wonderful experience helped in large part by the civilized limited access policy. Only 200 visitors at a time are allowed and then for only 2 hours Reservations are required for the five daily two hour blocks... 9am, 11am, 1pm, 3pm and 5pm. The Borghese also has a no photo policy with which I complied. We spent our full 2 hour allotment and enjoyed the museum's wonderful collection of paintings and sculptures by Bernini, Raphael, Caravaggio and Canova.

From the Borghese we headed over to take in the marvels of the Colosseum, which had recently completed an exterior cleaning and looked stunning.

Unlike The Borghese, crowds here were awful. Although with prereserved tickets, it only took us 10 minutes to access, instead of the hours wait for those without reservations.

This guy had just proposed and she accepted... to applause from those nearby.

I still marvel at the amazing advanced design and construction from over 2,000 years ago.

Back outside as the New Years Eve Marathon passes by the Colosseum.

As we head off to our 3pm lunch reservation at Roscioli thru insane traffic and hordes of New Years Eve visitors watched over by some of Rome's finest.

Located down a narrow street, Roscioli is a multi-generation family owned combination deli, restaurant and wine bar. Mrs. SFO777 picked this as she read that it was Mario Batali's favorite Rome lunch resto. The Roscioli website claims 300 types of cheese, 150 varieties of cold cuts, 2,800 wine labels, and a wide selection of preserves, sauces, mustards, canned foods, pastas, oils, and vinegars – not only Italian – for takeout or to enjoy seated at the tables of the Ristorante. Great atmosphere.

Our vino and cheese plate starter were fabulous.

But the rest of the meal was a meh.

Average meat balls.

Way overcooked and underseasoned veggies.

My carbonara looked great but was disappointingly tasteless, almost like someone forgot the cheese.

Uber was our friend this afternoon and our Uber Black arrived within 5 minutes, and dropped us off close to Via Condotti for a little shopping.

And then back up the Spanish Steps to The Hassler.

Later that evening, we headed over to nearby Ristorante Life for New Years Eve dinner. Nice atmosphere in a variety of rooms with great food and wine.

Back at the Hassler, we had a great view of some of the fireworks which had supposed been banned by Rome's mayor. I guess not so much.

Old Jan 10, 2017, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Rome Day 3
New Years Day

We slept in and pretty much relaxed in and enjoyed our suite on New Years Day. Mrs. SFO777 was a little under the weather and opted to stay in pretty much all day, while I headed out to enjoy the sunny +12C/54F temps and head over to check out Trevi.

I feel much safer this afternoon.

OK, now this guy seems a little more serious.

Ah, here's were everyone is today. Yeah, Trevi Fountain is touristy but it's a nice atmosphere, and great people watching today!

This woman was the funniest, working it for the perfect selfie.

After a stop at the Pharmacia to pick up something for Mrs. SFO777, I headed back to the hotel.

The 7th floor Hassler terrace with wonderful views of the city.

I checked in with Mrs. SFO777 and then headed downstairs for lunch at the Salone Eva.

And a repeat of our delicious meal from our first night... Amatriciana style mezzi rigatoni and a glass of Brunello.

OMG!

Back up in our suite for a little nap, only to wake up to the sound of marching bands. I headed down the Spanish Steps to find Rome's New Years Day parade featured local and US marching bands, including American university bands... Northern Iowa, Marshall and South Florida.

Sunset over Rome from our Hassler suite.

Dinner tonight was easy as we simply walked down the hall to the Hassler's Michelin one star resto Imago. A great experience with wonderful service and food.

Last edited by SFO777; Jan 15, 2017 at 9:45 pm
Old Jan 10, 2017, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thank you nequine. Yeah, it was pretty annoying at times especially when a wave of 100 tour groupers pushed thru. It was so bad that even Mrs. SFO777 yelled at a woman from a certain unnamed 1B+ population country who tried to cut in a line and then I elbowed the same woman when she persisted.

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Who says people are leaving the Catholic Church?
Indeed. Talk about a cash cow.

Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
I loved the Vatican pics. I went twice on my last trip to Rome; one was at night and wasn't crowded and the next one was at noon or so. It was a bit more crowded but we had this hilarious Scottish nun doing the narration. Looking forward to the Malta portion.
Thanks very much HawaiiTrvlr. You did it right by going off peak hours.

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
SFO777, thank you so much for yet another tour de force around the world of First Class travel. As I read your printed words, I can't seem to get this Robin Leach accent out of my head!
I was particularly sorry to hear of your sub par experience on Lufthansa. My sole experience with their First Class (EZE-FRA) was highlighted by the excellent crew, including the motherly Inga who looked very much like the actress Linda Evans.
Being based out of Interior Alaska, I don't get a chance to fly Star Alliance carriers all that often - all the more so due to United's switch to revenue based status accrual. That said, I recently cashed in what I consider to be an excellent deal on Business Class travel between Taipei and Nadi, Fiji. 30000 miles each way flying the likes of Thai, Asiana, Air New Zealand, Air China and EVA. Alas, it would seem my days of First Class award redemption via United are over.
That said, traveling vicariously on Star Alliance carriers with you and Mrs. 777 continues to be a thoroughly enjoyable pastime. Thanks again! ^
LOL. Thanks so much Seat 2A for your kind comments. We've enjoyed many Lufthansa First flights and at one time ranked them #1 in the world. But, these days I'm not sure they even make the Top 10.

Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy
LH F experience is now parallel to the latest Woody Allen movie. I took JAL F ex-Japan 2 times in the last month and a half. Both times RyuGin provided the catering. Only the main dish and the desserts were the same. The other 4 courses were completely different. It's ridiculous how LH F is still using the same starter for years.
Thank you 5DMarkIIguy. I agree and am looking forward to 4 JL First flights later this year, compliments of AA's oopsey ex-ICN F fare.

Originally Posted by Billiken
Agree. ^
I've been to the Vatican twice.
Always amazed that people wait in the horrendous lines (don't buy advance tickets). FYI, If possible, do the Vatican Excavations Tour, which takes you under the Basilica into the necropolis and the tomb (they say) of St. Peter.
Thanks Billiken. I assume that most people just don't realize about the advanced ticket thing. It's crazy to stand in line for 3 hours especially in sub 10C temps.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 6:42 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Nice report so far SFO777 , looking forward to the BA part though!
Old Jan 10, 2017, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Lol on the Here's where everybody is today comment in regards to Trevi. When we were there in November we sat and played count the selfie sticks. We figured less than half the people actually looked at the fountain as most were too concerned with getting a selfie.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:02 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Unreal!!! Haven't logged on for 6 months. Time to catch up on all your reports . What a treat.

Originally Posted by AtlFlyer123
+1. There's a ton of luxury hotels to choose from and a lot to see as well

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.