A book report on "Up in the Air"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A book report on "Up in the Air"

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2001, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold
Both Jozen and I read it and I agree with the view, that 3/4 of the book are fun, but during the Vegas incident(s), it begins to feel like s-o-m-e-o-n-e r-e-a-c-h-i-n-g o-u-t f-o-r a w-a-l-l i-n s-l-o-w m-o-t-i-o-n... It was fun though, because I read it on the way back from Omaha and could relate... ("forlorn, a project that's outlived its founding imperatives and hung on thanks to block grants and inertia and handouts from one or two civic-minded billionaires" ;-))
Old Aug 16, 2001, 8:39 am

Programs: Ozark Airlines--Lifetime Platinum, Braniff---Diamond, Eastern--Plutonium Motel 6--Guest of the Month
orangejjr:

You have mail.
Old Aug 16, 2001, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Premier Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Hrrrm....hard to keep track of who's got what and if they're done with it or not.
Drop me an email message if you've got a copy you want to pass on.

Thanks,

JD
Old Aug 16, 2001, 8:06 pm

Programs: Advantage Platinum Pro, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
I enjoyed the book as well. I liked the jaundiced look at life and some of the irony in the book. I was a bit put off by the ending but it did fit with the tone of the book. But I would recommend it to any FFs. I read the book traveling on AA via LAX-ORD-BWI.

Happy Travels
Old Aug 19, 2001, 12:12 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
I threw this book across the room when I finished it, angry at having spent $US23.95 on what I thought was pretentious, boring drivel, but then my tastes are... well, mine.

anyone who wants a slightly dented copy for half price, email me. normally I give books away but I want to see a little return on my money
Old Aug 20, 2001, 9:50 pm

Location: "Did you ever see Dallas from an MD-80 at night?" just doesn't have the same ring to it...
Glad to hear I'm not alone in having been disappointed by the book...Perhaps we all have a propensity to leap at anything that touches on FFs and miles! I guess all the buildup, both here on FT and in the N.Y. Times Book Review, where Christopher Buckley compared Kirn to (IIRC) Jay McInerney in a gushing review, raised my expectations a little too high.

It certainly didn't meet them, although it was a pleasant enough little read.
Old Aug 21, 2001, 3:31 am

Programs: UA1KMM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
After reading this thread last week, I felt obligated to see what the book was about, so I borrowed Punki's book and read it during my flight on Sunday SEA-DEN-MCO, with a 2 1/2 hr layover in the RCC. I thought it was an interesting read, but light. Ryan's character definely would have been more interesting if he had attended a couple of FT events while he was chasing the miles.
Old Aug 21, 2001, 4:20 am
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

I reread the book, and come away knowing that there's a really good Flyertalk expose book out there coming. Hopefully it will come from ME!

Of course the name of this boards and all Flyertalkers will be changed to protect the innocent and not so innocent and the hair on my children's heads.

Old Aug 21, 2001, 6:41 am

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Catman:
I reread the book, and come away knowing that there's a really good Flyertalk expose book out there coming. Hopefully it will come from ME!

Catman,

Step slowly away from the keyboard. We have Eddie and Yaz. No harm will come to them as long as you cooperate.....

[This message has been edited by BillMorrow (edited 08-21-2001).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.