Wiki Posts
Search

A book report on "Up in the Air"

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2001, 3:29 pm
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

A book report on "Up in the Air"

I'll move this if it's in the wrong forum. Just want the maximum number of people to try it out.

(OMNI: I used to HATE reading book reports in front of the class becuase they used to tease me. I rather let my writing do the talking!)

"Up in the Air" is the latest novel by writer Walter Kirn, and he takes an interesting and
sometimes dead on look at the world of Frequent Flyers, "AirWorld" as he calls it,
through the eyes of Ryan Bingham. He's a mileage addict who is just a few thousand
miles from the coveted one million mile mark and once he reaches it says he'll quit his
job and simply enjoy the miles.

It's a great look at the mileage building world we live in. Kirn nails many of the crazy things we do to get status and miles and points: from crazy itineraries to making small purchases for the sake of a few miles on a affinity credit card..

Bingham has to face several bouts of turbulance in his quest for the million mile mark. I won't tell you what they are but remember the addage "never, ever make the Frequent Flyer gods mad." One act by Bingham I sensed started this turbulance in motion.

Kirn clearly understands "our" world and I sense he took is a frequent flyer himself (I'd like to know if he is a member of any programs.)

What I liked about "Up in the Air" is some of the twists the story and Bingham had to face. The travelers and clients he's met and his disfunctional family are a cornacopia of
people who are people in our world in the air and on the ground. Good character portraits.

The book is a fast read, perfect for a long transcon or downtime in your airline club.
There are a few twists near the end so read carefully!

Overall: FOUR PAWS UP (as a writer) and THREE PAWS (for Bingham's actions, which I'll
explain in my sidebar.)

CATMAN, reaching for his cognac and Montenegro cigar.
Old Jul 22, 2001, 3:40 pm
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

Now my sidebar... because there are a few things Bingham could have done better:

*Carry at least TWO MILES building credit cards (when you read the book you'll see
why.)

*Don't argue when they offer you miles as a compensation (something I never head of
happening)

*Maybe not fratenizing with some of the air staff.

As a person I think Ryan would fit in at a Flyers gathering. I sense a lot of people would like him. I'm not so sure about myself, I found him obnoxious at times and full of himself.

Kirn also used some interesting names in the book, and here are what I think he was
relating to:

*Ryan: Many of us (although I'm not that obsessed or obnoxious)
*Compass Air: Oneworld
*Great Air: American Airlines (because he earned his million through everything he did)
or America West
*Desert Air: Southwest
*Homestead Suites: the real homestead or Embassy Suites
*Mount Olympus: Caesars Palace, Las Vegas.

He did talk about teh sameness of Marriott. I was surprised he DIRECTLY referred to teh
company. I wonder if he got permission.

Interesting he also touched on the topic of "stealing miles." Nice twist in the book.

And a "purrsonal" issue: I did not like the way they treated the cat. You'll have to read
to find out why.
Old Jul 24, 2001, 3:09 am
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

And to keep this travel related:

it's on sale at Border's. If you need Diner's Club points you'll get 21!
Old Jul 24, 2001, 8:26 am
LEB

I picked this up on my most recent flight excursion (trip report coming soon) and enjoyed it. It has some great one-liners.

Old Jul 24, 2001, 8:59 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thanks CATMAN!

I was quite pleased to have received this as a gift and I'm finding it most enjoyable reading as well!
Old Jul 24, 2001, 10:38 am

I ordered if from Amazon.com this morning, for the total of 19 miles on my Citibank AAdvantage card!
Old Jul 24, 2001, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

c'mon... let's get real here. Who would quit at a meager 1 million points?
Old Jul 24, 2001, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, Hyatt something
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by chexfan:
c'mon... let's get real here. Who would quit at a meager 1 million points? </font>
I guess that's why it's fiction and not a FlyerTalk trip report!!

Charles
Old Jul 25, 2001, 5:49 am
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

Chex: I don't think anyone would quit at one million.

Especially when you can use those miles to visit the beer centers of the world...

Cologne, Amsterdam, Dublin, Portland, Boston, Hoboken, NJ

Old Jul 25, 2001, 7:52 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Frequent Flyers Try to Keep Mileage Accounts Up

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/07/25/business/25TRAV.html
Old Jul 25, 2001, 10:14 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

I found the book enjoyable and had a good laugh about his negative comment regarding Omaha since I have to go there so many times each year. I agree....one million isn't so many...especially when you have your next 10 vacation itineraries planned out and they all include first class travel!

------------------
Addicted to airline miles? Check out: Mileage Workshop
Old Aug 4, 2001, 7:56 am

When I read Catman's post on "Up in the Air", it reminded me of when I use to fly on business in the mid 90's. Now I just fly for myself. Anyway, I had a trip coming up in a couple of days, so I went to a local Borders and bought it (with my DC). I enjoyed the book.

I usually donate the books I've read to a local library, but I figured I'd pass it along to someone at FlyerTalk. So, if there is anyone out there who hasn't read "Up in the Air", and would like to, let me know. The only thing I ask in return is to pass it on to another "FlyerTalker"

Old Aug 4, 2001, 9:42 am

Location: you can't affordably get there (anywhere) from here (central MT)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SaTx7777:
. . . pass it along to someone at FlyerTalk. . . </font>
you've got mail!

Old Aug 4, 2001, 10:45 am

"Up in the Air" is "Up and Away"....
Old Aug 4, 2001, 5:02 pm

Programs: AS — views are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SaTx7777:
I usually donate the books I've read to a local library, but I figured I'd pass it along to someone at FlyerTalk. So, if there is anyone out there who hasn't read "Up in the Air", and would like to, let me know. The only thing I ask in return is to pass it on to another "FlyerTalker"
</font>
Great idea! I too have a copy of "Up in the Air" (which I really enjoyed), and would be more than happy to pass it along to a fellow FTer. Just drop me an e-mail. Any takers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.