Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Tale of Two Cruises...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2016, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Fantastic! Thanks for posting such a detailed report!!
Old Aug 27, 2016, 1:32 am

The deserts look fantastic.

Regent cruises cost a fortune. Is it worth it value wise?

How were the ports?

I like United Plus. $100 more is really worth it especially as the regular seats only have 31" legroom.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 3:00 am

Programs: BMI Dimond club, BA Executive Club
So much food This looks like I should get involved with this.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 1:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Mike&co - we realize we're fortunate to be able to do a luxury cruise. Though I wonder how far off it is from a cruise "one step down" if on that other ship you get a very large suite, drink a lot and go to specialty dining.

One step down isn't too bad actually but then again, I haven't done the one step up lol. Royal Caribbean is fine, Celebrity probably a bit better (based on 11 cruises with RCI and 3 with Celebrity) but I would like to try Regent or Crystal to compare. The food pictures you posted look absolutely amazing.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

My cabin and the OMG cabin (plus 2 other really nice ones)

So our suite was pretty good. It wasn't the base cabin, but was up one or two classes. In my mind, the biggest design advantage to our suite is that the bed faces the window. So in theory, you could lie in bed and look out the window. Most ships have beds that are on the side wall and thus you're forced to turn your head to look outside. I know, first world problems. There were many suites that were far better and I have a video of the top three.

The suite we occupied had a large walk in closet, lots of storage outside the closet, a very nice bathroom with two sinks and a decent sized shower.

The bed was initially made up as a queen, but we were able to have them change the bedding to twin beds. Not sure why that wasn't done to begin with, but I think with the new ship and all they weren't really concerned about our bedding. Don't worry, the thing on the bed that says "Welcome" is only there for when you throw your suitcases on the bed". They do take it away.

Somehow the room didn't feel as spacious as I would have thought. The square footage was good, but maybe there was wasted space in the hall? I didn't think the sofa area was as large as I've had on Silversea, but that could be my imagination.

I do love a good robe and slippers in a hotel or cruise.

You can't see it here, but towards the bottom left is a stainless steel bar going diagonally across from the corner. I believe it would be for a lady to put their foot as they shaved their leg. I used it to put my foot when I dried off my leg. Very classy!

The only thing I would do to improve the bathroom is to put the toilet in its own room. I would have removed the tub and only have a shower and put the toilet behind a pocket door or something. But, I'm sure they've figured out that some women like tubs, especially women in their target age group...

Some people make a big deal out of the type of soap etc. I'm guessing the better suites have better stuff...

I believe in some fashion the divider between the two verandas can be removed to make a large one. Don't quote me on that though...

Do you see the place to the left of the tv where you can put your hand? You do so to swing the tv out so that you can watch from the bed.

And here is the bedding made up as twin beds.

Following are videos I took of the top 3 suites. The best one is the Regent Suite and as I vocalize in the video "Holy Crap"...a two bedroom suite with a large living room, huge deck and their own jacuzzi.

The price of this might be around $8,000 per night. But it does sleep 6 I believe. And there's a Steinway baby grand...But If i was going to spend that much money, I'd rather charter my own yacht.

However, the top suites are the first to go. There are so many people that say "if I can't get the top suite, I'm not going" and that's no joke.

I believe the next suite down is the Grand Suite.

And finally, the Penthouse Suite.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

You are right @mike&co. One step down is not that bad. But there are steps down.

Regent is owned by NCL and Seabourn is owned by Carnival. Even the management of NCL and Carnival would admit there was a difference.

Let me for a moment discuss the cruise we did December 2015 on the NCL Escape. The ship was huge! But we were in a special area called "The Haven". Our travel agent Kenny got us a great deal, so we did it. Thank god we did. We had our own dining room for about 50 cabins. So we only walked a few feet for breakfast each morning. We ate lunch there in the afternoon if we were on board. That dining room had both outdoor and indoor seating. Thankfully, we didn't have to fight or be among the hordes of people in the other restaurants on board for every meal. We booked the package (free at booking) that got us all of the specialty restaurants for free.

The Haven also got us reserved seating for the shows, priority embarkation (with lounge at Miami's cruise terminal) and disembarkation plus priority dining reservations (I think).

But that kind of thing is for everyone when you go on a luxury cruise. Usually the ships are much smaller. The last Silversea cruise we did was on the Cloud and that has only 296 passengers

If we couldn't afford to do the luxury, we'd be very satisfied with whatever it was we could do. To use your words..."Royal Caribbean is fine".

Originally Posted by mike&co
Mike&co - we realize we're fortunate to be able to do a luxury cruise. Though I wonder how far off it is from a cruise "one step down" if on that other ship you get a very large suite, drink a lot and go to specialty dining.

One step down isn't too bad actually but then again, I haven't done the one step up lol. Royal Caribbean is fine, Celebrity probably a bit better (based on 11 cruises with RCI and 3 with Celebrity) but I would like to try Regent or Crystal to compare. The food pictures you posted look absolutely amazing.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
The suite is not bad for a ship, especially the bathroom seems to be generous sized. Only the outflow at the shower looks like it were "organized" from the street....
Old Sep 2, 2016, 1:04 pm

Curious, were you in concierge?
Old Sep 2, 2016, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

It was the Superior Suite. The Veranda and Deluxe Veranda Suites both have the bed facing a wall and not the window. I think the Concierge Suite is identical to the Superior Suite, but it has more things thrown in (like free night pre-cruise stay).

Originally Posted by Linda VH
Curious, were you in concierge?
Old Sep 2, 2016, 1:25 pm

How is Regent with handling requests, attention to detail, and incidental charges? I have some pet peeves with NCL in those regards which has made me wary of booking with Regent and Oceania, or even NCL Haven.

In some ways, if the top suites are booked for space and to be "top dog" so the staff will provide better service, it makes me wonder how they treat everyone else.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

I'm not a Regent Expert, but I'll try to weigh in on this..

I think the attention to detail is pretty good. I am convinced that no ship is perfect. You can always come across someone new. They didn't properly set our table for breakfast, forgetting to put the table cloth down. That didn't get me upset, but we did notice.

The incidentals I think are pretty much non-existent. The excursions are included for the most part. I think you had to pay for some (more in next post), but for the regular ones we did it was all free.

Tipping isn't an issue. It's included.

Let me clarify. Nothing is free. Everything is just paid up front. So when they say the air is free, it's not really. You're paying for it in the cruise fare, but you can get a credit if you do your own. So not free, just included.

Drinks are included as well. Now if you order a really expensive bottle of wine, you'll be charged. But Kenny likes a nightcap and had them bring a bottle of Jack Daniels to the room. He just signed for it (to show that the delivery person didn't take it) and that was that. No charge or anything.

When we did the Haven, I think we still got a bill at dinner and they just zeroed it out. I think that's how they have to do it because some people have to pay for their alcohol or specialty restaurants. On Regent and even Silversea and Seabourn, you just walk away from the table when you're done. It's a little weird in that you don't sign anything and just leave when you're done.

I've not been on Oceania, but I know you pay for your booze and specialty restaurants.

The Regent Suite came with a butler, so I suppose that's very nice I just don't think I would spend that much money per day and not have my own boat/ship. I'd charter a yacht before I did that.

I think everyone is treated very nicely on a luxury cruise. I don't think that the crew differentiates between someone in X category suite and someone in Y.

Originally Posted by freecia
How is Regent with handling requests, attention to detail, and incidental charges? I have some pet peeves with NCL in those regards which has made me wary of booking with Regent and Oceania, or even NCL Haven.

In some ways, if the top suites are booked for space and to be "top dog" so the staff will provide better service, it makes me wonder how they treat everyone else.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Great pics and entertaining narrative.
Wow, the food on the cruise looks amazing. I think I gain a couple of lbs. just looking at the pics.
And your Regent cruise ship and suite looked beautiful. United E+? Not so much.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by offerendum
The suite is not bad for a ship, especially the bathroom seems to be generous sized. Only the outflow at the shower looks like it were "organized" from the street....
Yeah, I can see that. It's different. Not exactly looks same.

Originally Posted by farbster
I think the attention to detail is pretty good. I am convinced that no ship is perfect. You can always come across someone new. They didn't properly set our table for breakfast, forgetting to put the table cloth down. That didn't get me upset, but we did notice.

Tipping isn't an issue. It's included.

Let me clarify. Nothing is free. Everything is just paid up front. So when they say the air is free, it's not really. You're paying for it in the cruise fare, but you can get a credit if you do your own. So not free, just included.

Drinks are included as well. Now if you order a really expensive bottle of wine, you'll be charged. But Kenny likes a nightcap and had them bring a bottle of Jack Daniels to the room. He just signed for it (to show that the delivery person didn't take it) and that was that. No charge or anything.

When we did the Haven, I think we still got a bill at dinner and they just zeroed it out. I think that's how they have to do it because some people have to pay for their alcohol or specialty restaurants. On Regent and even Silversea and Seabourn, you just walk away from the table when you're done. It's a little weird in that you don't sign anything and just leave when you're done.

I've not been on Oceania, but I know you pay for your booze and specialty restaurants.

The Regent Suite came with a butler, so I suppose that's very nice I just don't think I would spend that much money per day and not have my own boat/ship. I'd charter a yacht before I did that.

I think everyone is treated very nicely on a luxury cruise. I don't think that the crew differentiates between someone in X category suite and someone in Y.
Wow, wow! What a great trip reports!!! You spent $8,000 on cruise? How you didn't find a cheaper price? I knows you fly on UA and you flew on 767-400ER aircraft. You went to BCN. You should upgrade into J class next time. You still have earned the miles. They will automatically you. If you ask your ticket agent that you want to fly in Business Class. Are you allowed to taking a pictures inside the aircraft?
Old Sep 3, 2016, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

N730MH - I didn't pay anything for this cruise. I was the guest of my travel agent, as his wife had to stay home with the baby.

The price of the top suite (Regent Suite) is a lot. I just went on the website and saw a 10 night cruise (Med) in April 2017 for $50,000 per passenger. The fare includes R/T biz class air, 1 night pre cruise in hotel.

As to my flying in Economy Plus, I could have spent the points for business class, but I didn't feel right doing that while leaving my wife home. When I went with my wife on our cruise the following week, we both flew in biz.

Thanks for reading!

Originally Posted by N830MH
Yeah, I can see that. It's different. Not exactly looks same.

Wow, wow! What a great trip reports!!! You spent $8,000 on cruise? How you didn't find a cheaper price? I knows you fly on UA and you flew on 767-400ER aircraft. You went to BCN. You should upgrade into J class next time. You still have earned the miles. They will automatically you. If you ask your ticket agent that you want to fly in Business Class. Are you allowed to taking a pictures inside the aircraft?
Old Sep 4, 2016, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
The food looks great.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.