Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Visiting the Faroe Islands

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2016, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kochleffel
FWIW, one of my friends has been trying to persuade me not to do any of this--she thinks it's all beyond my capacity. I don't know her source of information, but she says that Faroes hikes entail a 3,000-foot gain of elevation and last a minimum of six hours. I told her that I know my limits.
As far as I can tell, that's one or two hikes. All sorts of wonderful hikes that were short and sweet (like the two lighthouse hikes)
Old Sep 8, 2016, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by kaszeta
I realized I haven't given much in the way of example Faroese aside from a few placenames, so here's a nice sign:

Google Translate doesn't work with Faroese, although you can sometimes get partial translations with Icelandic, since the languages are similar. For example, I recognize that "Góđu tit" is basically "Welcome [you]", "Hjálpiđ okkum" is "Help us", and "grasinum" is "grass (plural)".
With my moderate Swedish abilities (and, in turn, very basic Danish and Norweigian), I believe it says...

Welcome - Help us (to) keep ??? clean and beautiful and not walk on the grass.

The only word I don't know is řkiđ.

This was an epic TR. Thanks for sharing.

Edited to add: with the help of this, řkiđ means "the area".

Last edited by pseudoswede; Sep 8, 2016 at 10:01 pm
Old Sep 9, 2016, 12:53 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Wow, wow, wow! Just stumbled upon this now and it is a stunning report. I visited the Faroe Islands in 2015 and it was beautiful!
Old Sep 9, 2016, 2:11 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
awesome TR and what wonderful photos

a very enjoyable afternoon read

Thanks
Old Apr 6, 2019, 1:37 pm

Absolutely awesome report, OP. I am going in May, have been fascinated with the FI ever since I found out they existed back in 1995, and this was perfect to give me some ideas about places to visit.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 7:34 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Wow amazing report and very timely! I will also be in the Faroes in May for 3 nights. Short trip so probably won't see as much as you did or get in as much hiking. I did manage to get a seat for Koks at the shared table my first night there!
Old Apr 7, 2019, 7:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Great TR!
Old Apr 8, 2019, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hauteboy
Wow amazing report and very timely! I will also be in the Faroes in May for 3 nights. Short trip so probably won't see as much as you did or get in as much hiking. I did manage to get a seat for Koks at the shared table my first night there!
One major change I know that has happened since this TR: you now need a permit to do some of the hikes due to increased popularity, Mykines and Traelanipan being the big ones. You have to get a permit online from hiking.fo and be prepared to show it to access the peninsula.

For Mykines: hiking.fo

For Traelanipan:

Free no more, dear tourist! It will now cost 67 USD to hike from Miđvágur to Trćlanípan - Local.fo
Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:41 am

We visited FI last June and had a great time. For other readers of the thread, KOKS has moved to a new location which is kind of the middle of nowhere. You meet up at a shack by a lake, have an appetizer, then they drive you in an off-road vehicle to the actual restaurant, which is a restored farmhouse in the middle of a valley. Their website will tell you to get a cab, but you can totally drive there (to the shack) yourself if you have a rental car.

I was unfortunately not able to visit Mykines. Despite going during June, which has the best weather in the year, it was so windy that our flight was cancelled the first day. The 2nd day, it was again windy, but our flight made it to the island but couldn't land. We circled Vagar for an hour until we had to divert to Bergen airport lest we run out of fuel. Pilot made one last attempt to land before having to divert, and we were finally able to land. It was very bumpy though, and my SO who is already slightly afraid of flying, vowed to never return again. We then found out that our Mykines ferry was cancelled due to weather (as well as all of the helicopter rides). Since you have to book it ahead of time, it was completely booked for the next 7 days (our entire stay on FI). So unfortunately I did not fulfill my wish to hang out with the puffins

Don't let that dissuade you though. FI is beautiful and we have a wonderful time. I would definitely return if my SO would ever get over her fear of landing in rough weather
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:38 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Originally Posted by kaszeta
One major change I know that has happened since this TR: you now need a permit to do some of the hikes due to increased popularity, Mykines and Traelanipan being the big ones. You have to get a permit online from hiking.fo and be prepared to show it to access the peninsula.

For Mykines: hiking.fo

For Traelanipan:

Free no more, dear tourist! It will now cost 67 USD to hike from Miđvágur to Trćlanípan - Local.fo
Yikes. Good to know. Definitely pricey there..car rentals are around $100/day. Koks is going to be $450 with the wine pairing. :O
Old Apr 8, 2019, 12:51 pm

Yikes. Good to know. Definitely pricey there..car rentals are around $100/day. Koks is going to be $450 with the wine pairing. :O
If you don't care for the wine pairing, I highly recommend the juice pairing. Very cool (with the exception of the mushroom juice - I didn't much care for that one :P). Out of the 3 Michelin starred restaurants we went to on the trip (Eleven Madison Park in NYC, KOKS in FI, and Relae in Copenhagen), KOKS was our favorite by far.

Old Apr 12, 2019, 5:04 am

Programs: QF WP, SQ & VA Gold, IHG Spire AMB, HH Diamond + BA, AA, CX
Brilliant TR, this is one of the many places still on my list to visit.

Places like this fascinate me, I'm visiting Svalbard later this year, being on the opposite side of the planet these places (like Greenland, Faroes, Svalbard, etc.) aren't a long weekend any more, proximity is one of the things I miss from when I lived in the UK.

Anyway, thanks OP!
Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Very Fascinating Trip Report to an exotic place. Thanks for taking the time and effort.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
We are going in July - if you are renting a car (especially an automatic car) - you will need to book months in advance.

We did find an automatic for 4 days for 2040DKK with Avis, but it only has 400km included, which *should* be enough
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
We are going in July - if you are renting a car (especially an automatic car) - you will need to book months in advance.

We did find an automatic for 4 days for 2040DKK with Avis, but it only has 400km included, which *should* be enough
We used Unicar.fo. I think it was 2600DKK for 6 days, unlimited mileage. Was supposed to be a manual VW Golf, but got a manual BMW X1 instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.