Search

OK, I'm now officially spoiled... New York to LA on a Gulfstream-IV

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2016, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Delta77L
SFO777 I'm glad you are enjoying our charter company aircraft. You are very lucky to catch N124TF, she just came out from heavy maintenance and upgrade 2 months ago.
I had a feeling you might be on one of our GIV before I see any pics, as I know a lot of our planes are doing NY to CA run. But have no idea that is what she been doing.
Check out the company website for more info.
http://windsorjet.com/
Thanks very much Delta77L. Flight was great, crew was great.

Originally Posted by gaobest
Fun TR - I definitely was thrown off about the shared plane because of your past TRs on jet smarter. But I've better comprehended thanks to the additional comments & info!
Did the women share their desserts with everyone? Im not expecting it but those desserts also looked good.
If you hadn't done this, then would you have stayed in PIT for 2/11?
How did you get to LGA from PIT? Did you have a revenue or award ticket? F or Y? How did you get from Los Angeles back to either DEN or wherever you had planned to next go - did you have to return to PIT?
I'm also confused by the annual fee and $0 flight - are $0 flights now unlimited? I'm still accustomed to the cash offers on the app.
I actually can imagine this Jetsmarter / private plane share system being wildly successful and more competitive ala Uber-Lyft. With scale, the annual costs could actually fall. Sure none of us know, but imagine if enough people & planes joined and suddenly it was $6000/year with unlimited free flights, and people got enough flights to keep renewing their membership. I've definitely started to use uber/taxi apps more than the days of only trying to hail a cab.
Thank you gaobest.

Yes, the women shared their desserts as we were chatting with them.

I would have probably taken the PIT-DEN nonstop.
I used 4,500 Avios for PIT-LGA and then $268 for a LAX-DFW-DEN Y ticket on AA. As an EXP, I was upgraded on both legs.

Regarding JetSmarter, all the flights are $0 but they are now on a shared basis only.
Members get 5 free seats on a light jet and 3 free seats on a midsize. You can buy out the plane to insure it's really private.

Originally Posted by spizzy
Disappointing that JetSmarter has gone to a shared plane system as it takes the "Private" out of "Private Jet" and having it all to yourself like in your previous TR's. It also seems in this instance there were a few hoops to jump through to get from point A to B. Still thanks for the TR and your experience with this flight.
Thanks spizzy. Agree completely on the shared concept. As Mrs. SFO777 says "well, it's not really private then, is it?"
I would not go so far out of the way to do this again. I did it primarily to try it out and sample the shuttle.

Originally Posted by Andriyko
Wow! What a great report. I may never be able to do this but your detailed reports always make me feel as if I were there. Thank You!
Thanks very much Andriyko.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 11:43 am

Thanks so much for the post. I'm new to Flyertalk and found your experience and the comments very informative.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 12:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
As always, thanks for posting SFO777. This led to some really great discussion. I like the switch to the per seat model only because I don't think the full jet was sustainable.

With regards to the shuttles, I wonder if they will have a limited number, so that even as they grow in membership the number of free shuttle seats won't go up.

I got in on the free $1000 in credits this past week, so I'll give that a whirl and then see my thoughts from here.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 1:54 pm

The situation of the lads in the back there reminds me of going on school trips by train. A lot of laughs were had but it certainly didn't feel like luxury and it's an open question of whether it would have been so much fun if one had sat with anyone but your friends from school
Old Feb 14, 2016, 2:06 pm

SFO 777 – the $500 per empty leg amazes me if those were really the terms with Travel Management. Instead of subscribing Mrs. SFO 777 have you asked if a double membership on your account is possible? I know there are times you travel without her and it’d be nice to get the benefits of the extra seats if you have the second membership. Plus it'd be less hassle when booking. I’d actually be interested in the answer to this as well.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 2:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mrfussion
oenophilist – I’m not arguing the empty leg business model. I think there is a market there. But the shuttles are stupid and will fail. A number of airlines used to offer unlimited use flight passes and their cost per seat is far lower than these shuttles JetSmarter is running. I don’t think any of the unlimited use passes are still offered today and there’s a reason for that. This isn’t an insurance pool where lots of people sign up and only a few use it making it workable. I renew my unused insurance because I may need it. If I don’t use my JetSmarter membership, I don’t keep it. So the only people with a JetSmarter membership are going to be those using it. In addition JetSmarter is marketing the shuttles now as the empty legs turned to crap since January 1 and only just improved this week. So the people who have been signing up are those who want to use those shuttles and intend to. Take that $1,600 per seat price estimate for LA-NY. If someone flies 6 trips (3 round trips) JetSmarter has a negative gross profit (and deep red on net profit with all their overhead). The NY-FL shuttles are certainly cheaper on a per cost basis, but even at half on a per seat basis it’s 6 round trips into the red on gross profit. And there are big time users in the mix taking these flights. There’s a guy who uses the LA-SF flight every week. And I’ve heard there are similar people on the east coast shuttles that are booking monthly or more frequently.
I simply (and somewhat vehemently) disagree with this. First, you can't look at it based on a single person. You look at it based on the whole of the community, including the potential churn of customers. Second, JetSmarter has control over how many flights they automatically set up as Shuttles, as well as how much it costs to initiate a Shuttle. Third, the cost basis varies per plane, including with volume discounts. Finally, JetSmarter has some controls over how often you take a flight via the "active reservations". If you have an active reservation for an LA to NYC flight, then you cannot use any other JetShuttles until the flight has been completed. This curtails abuse of the system.

I can absolutely see a clear business model of making JetShuttles profitable.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 2:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777
Thanks for your thoughts and perspective. Glad to see that European coverage has really improved from the days of the 4-seat Mustangs.
My pleasure. I did fly in the 4-seat Mustang today, and it really is a nice little plane. The nice part about the Mustangs is that you still get the whole plane, even if you are traveling by yourself (like I did today). But I'm very glad they've added a lot more variety.

Question: what was the demographic of the people on board the LA flight? I'm curious who their customer base is, as there are very few Flyertalkers that have subscribed thus far, and I would think we would be a prime target.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Huntress
Thanks so much for the post. I'm new to Flyertalk and found your experience and the comments very informative.
Thank you very much Huntress, and welcome to FlyerTalk.

Originally Posted by gooseman13
As always, thanks for posting SFO777. This led to some really great discussion. I like the switch to the per seat model only because I don't think the full jet was sustainable.
With regards to the shuttles, I wonder if they will have a limited number, so that even as they grow in membership the number of free shuttle seats won't go up.
I got in on the free $1000 in credits this past week, so I'll give that a whirl and then see my thoughts from here.
Thanks gooseman13. And good for you for doing the JetSmarter promo.
They are definitely limiting those shuttles to only a few per week in each direction.

Originally Posted by Ber2dca
The situation of the lads in the back there reminds me of going on school trips by train. A lot of laughs were had but it certainly didn't feel like luxury and it's an open question of whether it would have been so much fun if one had sat with anyone but your friends from school
LOL, Ber2dca. Absolutely. I think most of the foursome knew each other but the other two singletons across from them in the Y seats didn't know them or each other. Talk about the back of the bus.

SFO 777 – the $500 per empty leg amazes me if those were really the terms with Travel Management. Instead of subscribing Mrs. SFO 777 have you asked if a double membership on your account is possible? I know there are times you travel without her and it’d be nice to get the benefits of the extra seats if you have the second membership. Plus it'd be less hassle when booking. I’d actually be interested in the answer to this as well.
Good thought mrfussion. I already asked my JS rep. No deals for spouses or other family members, although I would get the referral credit.
Also confirmed by one of the women who has 4 memberships for her family, including the nanny. She got 3 referrals credits.
A 2nd membership would guarantee a private light jet and close to a private midsize... I'd probably buy out the remaining 2 seats.

Originally Posted by oenophilist
My pleasure. I did fly in the 4-seat Mustang today, and it really is a nice little plane. The nice part about the Mustangs is that you still get the whole plane, even if you are traveling by yourself (like I did today). But I'm very glad they've added a lot more variety.

Question: what was the demographic of the people on board the LA flight? I'm curious who their customer base is, as there are very few Flyertalkers that have subscribed thus far, and I would think we would be a prime target.
Good to hear oenophilist. I believe that all of us were members, although the Saudi couple may have been on a freebie since he's an investor or at least claimed to be. Other than the 2 old guys, me and my "seat-mate", every one else was a 30/40-something. One of the three women up front was traveling on her fiancée's membership while the other two had their own memberships, including the one with a family 4 pack.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 6:09 pm

oenophilist – your control over supply argument is flawed. If they are signing up customers who purchased based on the shuttles those members will only renew their memberships if availability continues to exist and they use it to the extent they feel they got value. Do you think someone is going to renew their membership based on taking one LA-NY flight per year because that is all JetSmarter made available? You can read the responses in this thread and see that no one sees this shuttle as a one of a kind product they’d pay a premium for.

Staying on the LA-NY example, I could generate a million AA points tomorrow if I felt like it and it’d cost 0.0088 cents per point … an option any business owner has, with the number of points they can create dependent on their expenses/profitability. That means an AAnytime award LAX-JFK costs me a maximum of $750 (and $290 if SAAver space exists). That’s my way of doing things and I’m sure others have their own that are comparable or better. So why would I pay JetSmarter $7,000 based on my membership, $9,000 for new members, to take this flight once or twice per year (twice being the maximum number of times a member can take it before JetSmarter goes red)? In my opinion, and that of most I’ve heard, a full shuttle is simply an inferior product to what the existing airlines are offering (with the exception being ground service) at a premium price.

In short with simple numbers: a better product is readily available in the market to customers for $750 whereas JetSmarter is trying to enter the market with a product carrying a $1,600+ operating cost. And they now need to make a profit on that $1,600 whereas at $750 it’s coming from an already profitable business. That doesn’t sound like a good business model to me ...

At the end of the day it comes down to JetSmarter being able to churn customers. Are there enough people out there to pay $12,000 for a one or two and done to subsidize the heavy users? And I’d say it’s pretty clear there are not. JetSmarter will need to acquire and retain customers to be successful long term.

I can explain this a different way without having knowledge of your background. I operate a medium sized logistics organization. The fundamentals of the full truckload side of our business operate remarkably similar to the charter business with the obvious differences being we have trucks instead of planes and move freight instead of people. If I offered a flat rate, unlimited shipping model I would get nothing but abusers and those who were shipping enough to justify. The reason for this is there are competitive alternatives in the marketplace that the light users would go to. We’d get smoked on it without question. And it’s the exact same thing here—at the end of the day you will have only the high rate users in the program which will not be financially viable for JetSmarter.

I will caveat all this by saying the only way they could make it work is if they found a way to provide seats at a lower cost than the commercial airlines. And I don't see how you get a per seat cost on a G-IV carrying 13 passengers LA-NY lower than an Airbus carrying 100 passengers ...

Last edited by mrfussion; Feb 14, 2016 at 6:14 pm
Old Feb 14, 2016, 7:37 pm
FTA

Why do you keep saying free when you paid 7K up front? Am I missing something, are there other benefits?
Old Feb 14, 2016, 10:18 pm

Interesting trip report!

What's the legality of this? Offering ride sharing type service on repositioning legs is one thing, but having "scheduled" shuttle flights starts to look suspiciously like a common carriage airline, with all the extra FAA oversight that needs.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 10:57 pm

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer
A full cabin of 13 JetSmarter members tonight. We were pre-assigned seats by the JetSmarter staff according to... well I have no idea, I guess based on gender and age. Whatever the criteria, it worked very well especially since I was among the 7 pax up front who got the wider "First Class" seats.
I forgot about this as well. Now with the possibility of ending up in the back of the plane, as opposed to having it all to yourself or the possibility of not sitting with your partner or where you want to sit then Jetsmarter IMO loses its attractiveness, especially for the $7k (discounted?) upfront fee. YMMV.

Thanks spizzy. Agree completely on the shared concept. As Mrs. SFO777 says "well, it's not really private then, is it?"
I agree with her completely.

Last edited by spizzy; Feb 14, 2016 at 11:06 pm
Old Feb 15, 2016, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
oenophilist – your control over supply argument is flawed. If they are signing up customers who purchased based on the shuttles those members will only renew their memberships if availability continues to exist and they use it to the extent they feel they got value. Do you think someone is going to renew their membership based on taking one LA-NY flight per year because that is all JetSmarter made available? You can read the responses in this thread and see that no one sees this shuttle as a one of a kind product they’d pay a premium for.

Staying on the LA-NY example, I could generate a million AA points tomorrow if I felt like it and it’d cost 0.0088 cents per point … an option any business owner has, with the number of points they can create dependent on their expenses/profitability. That means an AAnytime award LAX-JFK costs me a maximum of $750 (and $290 if SAAver space exists). That’s my way of doing things and I’m sure others have their own that are comparable or better. So why would I pay JetSmarter $7,000 based on my membership, $9,000 for new members, to take this flight once or twice per year (twice being the maximum number of times a member can take it before JetSmarter goes red)? In my opinion, and that of most I’ve heard, a full shuttle is simply an inferior product to what the existing airlines are offering (with the exception being ground service) at a premium price.

In short with simple numbers: a better product is readily available in the market to customers for $750 whereas JetSmarter is trying to enter the market with a product carrying a $1,600+ operating cost. And they now need to make a profit on that $1,600 whereas at $750 it’s coming from an already profitable business. That doesn’t sound like a good business model to me ...

At the end of the day it comes down to JetSmarter being able to churn customers. Are there enough people out there to pay $12,000 for a one or two and done to subsidize the heavy users? And I’d say it’s pretty clear there are not. JetSmarter will need to acquire and retain customers to be successful long term.

I can explain this a different way without having knowledge of your background. I operate a medium sized logistics organization. The fundamentals of the full truckload side of our business operate remarkably similar to the charter business with the obvious differences being we have trucks instead of planes and move freight instead of people. If I offered a flat rate, unlimited shipping model I would get nothing but abusers and those who were shipping enough to justify. The reason for this is there are competitive alternatives in the marketplace that the light users would go to. We’d get smoked on it without question. And it’s the exact same thing here—at the end of the day you will have only the high rate users in the program which will not be financially viable for JetSmarter.

I will caveat all this by saying the only way they could make it work is if they found a way to provide seats at a lower cost than the commercial airlines. And I don't see how you get a per seat cost on a G-IV carrying 13 passengers LA-NY lower than an Airbus carrying 100 passengers ...
Fascinating analysis. And your critique of the JetSmarter model sounds sound to me...though given my understanding of the economics of this business, that's not saying much.

However, I wonder about a couple of elements of your analysis...First, might you be over-estimating the ability and willingness of "any business owner" to generate oodles of AA/UA/DL miles? For one thing, whether out of ignorance or reluctance to learn this game, many could not be bothered to do so the way those of us on FT might. For another, I wonder whether there are so many business owners out there who could generate the miles if so inclined, given the ways they might be paid, might manage their books, etc.

In addition, I'd think that JetSmarter is not only competing for business owners, but for many other wealthy enough individuals who work for corporations, are retired, are paid for individual services (such as Hollywood entertainment types), etc. So the market extends way beyond those who could use miles instead of JetSmarter.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Wheels Up, Inspirato Pass, Marriott Titanium Elt, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres, Ntl P
SFO777 we missed eachother at the heliport by a day. My girlfriend and myself (for demographics we are early 30s) took a Jetsmarter flight to NYC for the weekend. Used the helicopter transport to ORD and from HPN to West 30th then Uber over to a Marriott a mile away. We were fortunate to fly their Bombardier Challenger 850 by ourselves, one flight attendant, and two pilots. Pilot and FA couldn't have been more professional and courteous. The bouquet of flowers they gave my girlfriend at the end of the flight was a nice touch. The couple negatives were the JS rep seemed a tad disorganized leading up to the flight and the wifi onboard was virtually useless. Thus far I am happy with the product however. As to whether or not I would fly F on an A321 cross country vs a full load G4, that's a coin toss and I would likely fly F because of the lie flat (SFO, how was the wifi on the G4?). A few pics of the experience..
Attached Images         
Old Feb 15, 2016, 8:44 pm

Sorry SFO777, I just don't see how this flight left you "officially spoiled." It looks like a frat party in the sky...

Back in the 80's I used to fly MGM Grand Air between LAX and JFK, and that definitely felt like I was being spoiled – 33 seats on an all first class 727 with 5 foxy FAs in tuxedos, two chefs and gold plated bathrooms catering to the LA and NYC elite.

Here's a link to my trip report about these flights on MGM Grand Air: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...s-lax-jfk.html

After all of your over-the-top first-class flights, are you really intimating that this one left you "officially spoiled?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.