Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Sun, Snow and Sushi - One Week, OneWorld F Round The World (BA F, AA F, JL F-J-Y)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sun, Snow and Sushi - One Week, OneWorld F Round The World (BA F, AA F, JL F-J-Y)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2015, 4:54 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
Originally Posted by DaveNCL
I liked this conversation

Nice start to what looks like a very interesting trip. I'm always jealous when I see someone has been to Japan, loved my time there earlier this year.

I look forward to reading more.

Edited to add - your Katz recommendation has been added to my list for my 'Viking' trip to NY in May.

Thanks, I hope it continues to deliver ^
I love Japan. I'm starting to think people are going to get bored of it featuring so much in my TRs

I'll be visiting Katz on a Viking ticket in May too, there could be a DO in the making!

Originally Posted by GodAtum
Thanks for your report. I flew on a 12 hour BA F flight this month from LHR to KUL. The check-in and boarding process is horrible. i had to wait 5 mins for a free check-in desk and I had to satnd in a queue to board. If you are paying over £3k for a ticket one does not expect to have to queue.
Thanks, cool blog!
I agree. I'm flying BA F again this weekend so will get a chance to add another data point (BA have just updated their boarding procedure) as well as asking about the new fast track for F.

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Whenever I read a Jermyn trip report, I feel like I'm looking at pictures out of GQ with ridiculously good looking people living a life far beyond my own. But I suppose that's because you don't chronicle commutes to work on the tube.

Great start so far!
Oh come on man, you're going to make me blush . Thanks for the kind words though! Today's TR: the central line was hot and horrendous during rush hour. I didn't wear a jacket because it was too hot but then I got hit with torrential rain on my walk to the station... I didn't have an umbrella. This resulted in a 'wet shirt contest' scenario in the carriage - much to the amusement of anybody whose eyes weren't firmly glued to their smartphone.

Originally Posted by benjahman
Jermyn, great report as usual. Two questions:

1. What kind of boots are those? They look similar to a pair of Alden's I own. Can you share?
2 What kind of mount are you using for the GoPro shots in the cabin or are you just sitting the camera on a ledge, etc..?

Looking forward to the rest or your report.
Thanks!
1. Aldens? You sir are a man of impeccable taste. These aren't quite as fancy. They are Oliver Sweeney. Pebble Grain, split toe and rubber sole. These are my go to boots for torrential rain, snow... and drinking. It only takes one unfortunate incident with a pair of light suede Edward Greens to realise that drinking shoes are a thing.
2. I'm using a Joby Gorillapod. It has 3 articulated legs which can be used to fit it pretty much anywhere. I have a pic of my setup coming in the next instalment.

Originally Posted by JamieABZ
Ahhhh, welcome back, I have a few favourite trip reporters, you are one of those. Very thorough as usual. I'm heading to NYC for Hogmanay and trying the A321T over to LAX on 01st January, so good to read reports about it. Thank you.
Thank you so much. It really is great to hear that the hours of effort are paying off and that people are enjoying the reports Safe travels!

Originally Posted by Phaze
Nice report. That AA lady wasn't too pleasant.

Why no SQ report? I saw the pictures on your Instagram.
Ah, she was probably just stressed. Happens to the best of us. The awesome FA more than made up for it ^

I have a very special SQ only report coming up after this one...
Old Aug 26, 2015, 12:24 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
From one straight man to another.... nice abs. They're not like those unhealthy starved and crooked six pack, but a Bane type of muscular six pack. Bravo.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Great report so far man! Looking forward to the next flight for sure. We flew JL from SFO to HND in March and we LOVED it, so I'm anxious to see what you think!
Old Sep 6, 2015, 2:34 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

The latest part: QF F Lounge LAX has now been added

Originally Posted by TOMFORD
From one straight man to another.... nice abs. They're not like those unhealthy starved and crooked six pack, but a Bane type of muscular six pack. Bravo.
Thanks man! As you'll be able to see in the upcoming JL segment, I sure don't make it easy on myself when it comes to staying in shape

Originally Posted by MarylandFlyer244
Great report so far man! Looking forward to the next flight for sure. We flew JL from SFO to HND in March and we LOVED it, so I'm anxious to see what you think!
Thanks a lot! I was away last week so updates have been slow but the JL post will be up in the next couple of days.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 6:44 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Jermyn
[B]Whilst I was tempted to check out the OW business lounge with its fireplace and 'food trucks' I figured that we should take a look at the F lounge, seeing as we had the option.
I was in the business lounge fairly recently, and I don't recall food trucks? (Or a fireplace, for that matter, but I imagine that would be easier to miss...)

The LAX F lounge looks nice enough but a little unexciting. But so many miles ahead of what used to pass for lounges at LAX - it's amazing how much things have improved there, across all alliances.

Looking forward to JL F...
Old Sep 7, 2015, 5:27 pm

Your JAL sectors are the ones I've been looking most forward to on this trip. ^

Oh well, we were reunited with the bags, safe and sound, with the AAgent's incompetence netting us $900 of new clothes, so no complaint from us
Out of interest, how did you put a claim through on the Amex given that the flights were a redemption? Amex say you have to pay with their card in order to be eligible for any claim. Does paying the taxes and surcharges with the Amex meet this criteria? Thanks for any help!
Old Sep 12, 2015, 1:52 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mad_atta
I was in the business lounge fairly recently, and I don't recall food trucks? (Or a fireplace, for that matter, but I imagine that would be easier to miss...)

The LAX F lounge looks nice enough but a little unexciting. But so many miles ahead of what used to pass for lounges at LAX - it's amazing how much things have improved there, across all alliances.

Looking forward to JL F...

JL F LAX-NRT is now up!

This report shows the food truck concept, they're basically just little stalls set up within the lounge, away from the regular buffet.

The fireplace doesn't look as good in the report as it did in the promo shots though.

In any case, I agree with you. Whilst the lounge I visited isn't fantastic by global standards, in the US it has to be one of the best!

Out of interest, how did you put a claim through on the Amex given that the flights were a redemption? Amex say you have to pay with their card in order to be eligible for any claim. Does paying the taxes and surcharges with the Amex meet this criteria? Thanks for any help!
Paying the taxes and surcharges is enough to insure your itinerary with Amex. It is effectively the cash cost of the flights, once miles have been used to discount the base fare.

Last edited by Jermyn; Sep 13, 2015 at 5:42 am
Old Sep 12, 2015, 5:24 pm

Thumbs up

Part 2 is now up!
Thanks, that was my first ever flight with the GoPro - the wide angle shots really do capture the cabin so much better than a regular lens don't they?
They do offer a different perspective. I incorporated it into a JL F NRT-JFK flight last year.

I am enjoying your TR and looking forward to the skiing section. I tried Hakuba (1998 Olympics) a few years ago, really liked it.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 11:47 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist
Another excellent instalment of the TR. Out of interest what exactly is Queen of Blue- I appreciate its "Tea" but what is it like? A quick google brings up sites in Japanese that I can't read or endless pictures of HRH in blue!
Old Sep 13, 2015, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BA have announced in the last few days they will be improving the headphones in all cabins.

That is sufficient.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 8:06 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Man, what an awesome TR. I love reading your posts.
You take fantastic photos - and seriously, you are a great looking couple. Kudos on finding a catch like K!

I love the wee BA reverse first class/buddy seat setup you tried in your instagram - I'll be trying that out on my next flight soon.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 5:23 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

THE LATEST INSTALMENT IS NOW UP!

Originally Posted by AndrewE
I am enjoying your TR and looking forward to the skiing section. I tried Hakuba (1998 Olympics) a few years ago, really liked it.
Thanks. I went to Hakuba back in 2008 although that was in the summer time so I mountain biked rather that skiing. It's a lovely area and not hard to get to either.

Originally Posted by PoincianaKings
Another excellent instalment of the TR. Out of interest what exactly is Queen of Blue- I appreciate its "Tea" but what is it like? A quick google brings up sites in Japanese that I can't read or endless pictures of HRH in blue!
It is tea that has no bitterness or aftertaste. Its like drinking the ethereal, ghostly essence of tea. It is ridiculously drinkable. You don't ever get sick of the taste or start to feel full. As far as keeping hydrated on a plane goes, it's perfect.

Originally Posted by Calchas
BA have announced in the last few days they will be improving the headphones in all cabins.
Glad to hear it. Fingers crossed BA finally sort out their J class and get all aisle access like their JV partners too!

Originally Posted by rxfleming
Man, what an awesome TR. I love reading your posts.
You take fantastic photos - and seriously, you are a great looking couple. Kudos on finding a catch like K!

I love the wee BA reverse first class/buddy seat setup you tried in your instagram - I'll be trying that out on my next flight soon.
Thank you so much! I told her what you said and she laughed and started acting like a fish

Haha, I'll be interested to see how the crew react. They were pretty shocked when they saw me taking the 'Jermyn position'. It definitely takes the BA seat to a whole new level!
Old Oct 10, 2015, 4:59 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Nearly there, the penultimate post is now up!
The Trip back to Tokyo, Dai-Ichi Seafort and the HND JL F Lounge.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 8:35 pm

You definitely take the award for slowest trip report.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 9:41 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

You definitely take the award for slowest trip report.
Like a fine aged wine, these things take time

The Final Instalment is up. The trip report is now complete!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.