Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Sun, Snow and Sushi - One Week, OneWorld F Round The World (BA F, AA F, JL F-J-Y)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sun, Snow and Sushi - One Week, OneWorld F Round The World (BA F, AA F, JL F-J-Y)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2015, 2:51 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn

Intro

In the spring of 2104 my beloved US Airways Dividend Miles Program went through a major transition. As part of its integration with AA, out went Star Alliance and in came OneWorld.

Whilst I lamented the loss of NH, TG and OZ I was also delighted at the prospect of actually being able to access the award space of this new alliance’s top carriers. Where LH, LX and SQ all limit awards in their premium cabins, JL and CX would welcome my Dividend Miles with arms wide open.

The first OneWorld trip I booked with USDM was the rather delectable : QR vs QF F showdown.

Being UK based I’d never really been able to accumulate the AA miles necessary to exploit this most lucrative of spots on the award chart, *A carriers just don’t have the coverage in the Middle East.

However, I wanted more…

The Europe - North Asia sweet spot

….I wanted to get a 100k First Class award to North Asia on the go.
A very good friend of mine lives in Tokyo and I’ve already been to visit him on numerous occasions, thanks to all of you wonderful people who contribute to FT every day.

The Europe - North Asia spot on the USDM chart was always outrageously generous and NH and JL are permanently locked in a head to head race to the top when it comes to their premium cabins; a concept sadly lost on European and North American carriers.

Trying CX and JL long haul were major goals as soon as I heard USDM awards would be available on OW carriers. Given the fact that I’d already flown CX before, I gave priority to finding a route on JL. Availability from HND-LHR was there but the outbound was proving trickier.

The Scenic Route

With the integration of OneWorld inventory to US computer systems came a couple of glitches. Of course, where there’s a glitch there’s an opportunity. For the first month or so, US airways agents were able to book award flights on BA without the hideous fuel surcharges that had hitherto plagued TATL travel.

Up until this point I’d flown numerous carriers in F but never set foot in a premium BA cabin. This seemed like a good opportunity to judge first hand how bad our national flag carrier truly is

If I was going to fly BA F, it would have to be in the nose of a 747. I’ll always jump at the ever dwindling opportunity to fly in this most salubrious of surroundings. I also felt that flying the flagship NYLON route ex-LHR would give me a chance to experience BA at their best.

Once there I planned for an onward connection 23 hours after our Friday evening arrival.

How? Where to? A trip on the all new A321T American Airlines transcon to LAX.

There are multiple frequencies between New York and LA each day. I was planning on taking my girlfriend K along for this trip, award space to JFK from LHR was very easy to find, however it looked like we would have to take separate flights on the A321T - an hour apart - to get us to LA.

After 2 days in LA there was a JL flight to NRT with 2 free award seats in F.

Once in NRT we would connect onwards to our final destination, Niseko in the Hokkaido region of northern Japan. This required separate Avios and cash tickets, a negligible cost given the APD of Ł5. After snowboarding for 3 days K would fly on to PVG to spend some time with her folks; whereas I planned to fly home in JL F, ex-HND this time, sampling the new flagship JL F lounge on the way back to LHR.

Getting it ticketed

There were many things that made USDM a great program. Cheap and easy to acquire miles, some real sweet spots on the award chart and best of all, manual pricing of routes by agents who sported that truly magical combo of total suggestibility and a deep lack of geographical knowledge.

I had the perfect route all mapped out: flight numbers, times, fare codes for each airline’s F cabin, knowledge of the fact that JL needed to be saved down in a ‘different system’. After three attempts I finally found an agent who was willing to ticket this as a North Asia award because it only stopped over in the US and “that’s US airways’ home base”.

Round the World in First class for $1,400 worth of US airways miles plus taxes. Just for fun I checked the cash price for these flights in the cheapest non-flexible First fare buckets. $23,400.

========================================

Part 1 : Concorde Room and LHR-JFK BA F (B744)
Part 2 : Andaz New York and JFK-LAX AA F (A321T)
Part 3 : Andaz West Hollywood and L.A.
Part 4 : LAX QF F Lounge
Part 5 : LAX-NRT JL F (77W)
Part 6 : Hilton Niseko
Part 7 : The Trip back to Tokyo, Dai-Ichi Seafort and the HND JL F Lounge
Part 8 : HND-LHR JL F (77W)

========================================

If you like this TR then please check out my others.
If you want to see what'll be coming up in my future TRs then follow me on Instagram.

Finally, if you're not into my hundreds of cameraphone pics then check out my girlfriend's super slick fashion and travel site: www.euriental.com where you can get her perspective on our travels.

Last edited by Jermyn; Oct 11, 2015 at 9:36 am
Old Aug 18, 2015, 2:52 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

This trip started out like most other big trips. With a Christmas like inability to get to sleep the night before.

We’ve all been there, refreshing Awardwallet; picking seats; changing our minds and picking slightly different seats; looking at previous days’ flight paths trying to see which side will have the best view; looking through recent menus and of course reading Trip Reports here on FlyerTalk!

When the moment finally comes, when the folder is packed full of reservation print outs and loose foreign banknotes, the passport goes into your pocket and you finally get to wheel your luggage out of the front door - there’s no feeling like it in the World.

We got to LHR T5 3 hours before our flight to JFK. Looking around, it wasn’t immediately clear where the First Class check-in area was. We could have easily gone to one of the many empty business class check-in counters but we didn’t want to miss out on the opportunity to get the ‘full experience’.

We soon spotted where we needed to go, tucked away in a distant corner of the terminal was the F Area. There was an empty greeting desk beyond which lay a series of counters. No seats or drinks here. Definitely not on a level footing with F services such as NH at NRT and TG at BKK.

We asked the agent checking us in to check our bags all the way to LAX but she had real trouble with this. She wasn’t able to look up our sabre PNRs herself so I had to get my trusty folder out and show her the printouts from AA. After 10 minutes and some help from a colleague she was able to print some tags. The first set of tags she printed still had JFK printed on them, luckily I spotted this and got her to reprint them with JFK//LAX. Not a great start.

Not wanting to waste any more time we quickly rushed over to security. Where we stumbled upon a faintly absurd scene.

Which to take? Fast Track or Regular?

Luckily the security process was quick and painless and we were soon ready to experience one of the coolest things about flying out of BA’s home turf. If you bear right immediately after security, you come to a doorway which leads straight into the Concorde Room, bypassing the labyrinthine gauntlet of shops one must navigate if making a left turn. (One of the few times in our hobby where making a right turn is a good thing!)

Rumour has it that BA pays the airport Ł1M a year for the privilege of having its F passengers bypass the shops. Apparently a second door and private security channel will now be built by the F check-in area, allowing entrance from the other side of the CCR and directly into the regular OW Emerald lounges.

Having a separate security channel will definitely help BA’s F to stand out as more of a premium experience.

The Concorde Room - LHR
At the entrance our boarding passes were checked and we were directed towards a reception desk where we were greeted and asked if it was our first time here. We said it was and were told where we could find the bar, terrace area, spa, cloakroom and restaurant.

A very British lounge

We had pre-booked Spa treatments, one after another, so K went straight through the CCR to the Elemis Spa whilst I through the lounge, past the crowded bar and restaurant, into the terrace area.

Unfortunately it was a bit of an overcast morning so the whole lounge was quite dark, although the terrace at least got a little more light and was significantly less crowded.

I was quickly greeted by a server and brought the morning menu. I knew exactly what I wanted though and it was brought to me in a large flute LPGS is not my favourite prestige cuveé but it is certainly a notch above all other lounge offerings I’ve encountered, with the exception of the QR Al Mourjan Lounge in DOH, serving Krug.

Soon enough K returned and I headed over to the Elemis Spa for a 15 minute ‘Aviator Facial’ (i.e. somebody applying moisturiser to your face for 15 minutes). The treatment rooms are all located around a central waiting area and are separated only by stained curtains. The therapist was very chatty and friendly but unfortunately the overall experience was a bit drab and sallow. The lighting was dim, corners on furniture were scuffed and frayed, even the clipboard and pen used to fill out a pre-treatment survey were broken. The pen was wrapped several times in sellotape to keep it attached to the string holding it to the clipboard.

The Elemis Spa at LHR T5 is considerably worse than the treatment area at the VS clubhouse in T3 (a J class facility). Its like comparing a Holiday Inn to a W.

After the Spa experience we made our way to the Dining Room where we were promptly met by a server and handed some menus.

Legroom

I opted for the, very generous, Seared Scallops with Pancetta.

K went with the, equally enormous, Confit Duck Leg.

The food was better than I was expecting and the duck in particular was delicious. At this point we didn’t have much time left so we headed to gate B35 to meet our ride for the day.

British Airways BA177
London Heathrow (LHR) - New York (JFK)
Boeing 747-400
Seat 1K
First Class

We were warmly greeted as we stepped aboard and directed to our seats. K was taken through a full tour of the features whilst I went about exploring by myself.

On the face of it the BA F seat has the same basic design as the Sicma Aero Cirrus and similar products as found on QR, CX, US, AA etc. However, the leather quality, glossy surfaces and brushed metal used give the cabin a very exclusive feel.

I would say that in terms of wow factor there are few products out there that compare. There are certainly more spacious seats but the nose of the 747 with the lamps and blue tinted electronic window blinds really looks special.

Plenty of legroom, even in ‘cramped’ Row 1.

BA are a bit behind the times with these IFE controls.

An Amenity kit was waiting for each of us on our seats. The BA F kit is unbranded but actually feels quite nice. The contents are decent too, although the deodorant stick just doesn't work. Nice idea but it crumbled to pieces pretty much instantly

After settling into our seats one of the FAs came over to introduce herself and ask if we would like anything to drink. I continued with the LPGS, of course

Having spotted that seat 1A was free I asked if K could move over there, the FA checked and said that the seat was indeed free and we could have it!

Seat 1A

K quickly gathered her things and moved across. We'd managed to grab the best seats in the house!

The feeling of privacy in the nose of the Queen of the Skies is absolute. The only thing in front of you is a cupboard. There is zero foot traffic. Hell, even the pilot is sitting behind you, about 6 feet above and behind you in fact. Best of all, the curvature of the fuselage means that you can see ahead of you. The feeling of exhilaration sitting in these seats; feeling the thrust of the engines, pushing this majestic beast into the skies as it takes off, is without equal.

Soon after take off the beep sounded releasing the FAs to begin the service. I switched to water for a quick burst of hydration pre-lunch. This was served with mixed nuts. I can't remember if they were warm or not and I know this is FT, I apologise. I'll do better next time.

The Menu was very comprehensive for a 7 hour flight. The wines are something that BA are particularly proud of.

The table setup on BA F is very good, the cutlery and china all have a heavy feel of quality to them and small details like the bread selection and butter presentation show that effort has been made to present a high level product.

The amuse bouche

There was a large selection of delicious looking (and smelling!) breads to choose from. I'm not usually a big carb guy but I made an exception for this

Devon crab with lime and coriander mayonnaise

Next up was the spectacular starter. A mountain of sweet and succulent crabmeat flanked by an assortment of beautifully piped sauces. This was one of the best looking and tasting F dishes I've ever had. I honestly did not expect to be saying that about BA but there you have it.

Fresh seasonal salad

This was followed by a fresh salad, I took the balsamic dressing on the side. Not groundbreaking but it was fresh, as described.

Seared fillet of Aberdeen Angus beef with morel mushroom sauce, seasonal vegetables and herb potato cake.

I subsequently did two unexpected things: 1. I stopped drinking champagne and switched to red wine - a very nice Chateau Destieux 2006. 2. Even stranger, I ordered beef on a BA flight. I think it may have been the effect of the booze, a sudden fit of bravery - despite the horror stories, I ordered it.

The result? Not bad at all. It was definitely more cooked than I'd prefer but then again I'm the kind of guy who orders steak "briefly passed through a warm room". In terms of flavour and texture I'd give this a 7/10. Will I ever be brave enough to order the beef in Club World? Well I'm finally trying BA J for the first time in October so I guess you'll have to wait and see

After all that I was quite full (I'd also managed to inhale some eggs Benedict in the CCR but hunger prevailed over photography), so I decided to forego the cheese and dessert.

The FA very kindly offered us some hand painted chocolates though and asked us to take as many as we wanted...

...I wanted 5.

After getting the picture of the chocolates I shut the electronic blinds in order to get the glare off the IFE monitor.

I ordered a double espresso with milk on the side, to go with my chocolates. K made the mistake of ordering a double macchiato. You may think that they're the same thing but I've had enough experience outside of major cities to know that ordering a macchiato can lead to some blank stares and confusion.

K's 'coffee' arrived in a huge mug. She'd been given a hot chocolate. I laughed... a lot. 5 minutes later an FA wandered over and asked if K's macchiato was ok because none of the cabin crew knew what a macchiato was. Here K made another mistake, she tried to describe it, "It's just an espresso with a little bit of milk". The FA apologised profusely and returned a few minutes later... with a massive hot milk, faintly stained by coffee.

K was also unlucky with her IFE, the screen was hanging out at a juanty angle and she had to jam it upright with a folded up napkin wedged between the screen and the table.

Oh well, at least the FAs left the box of chocolates behind!

Full of food and several glasses of champagne into the day, I decided to turn in for a bit of sleep. K beat me to the punch.

First I needed to get changed into something more comfortable.
The BA F PJs were indeed very comfortable and fit well. They aren't 'keepers' like the dark blue ones TG had for a while but still good for a flight.
There was no turndown service or mattress pad but the bed was well cushioned and reasonably spacious.

I soon bored of watching Birdman, to be honest I struggle watching films during the meal service, as I always like to take the headphones off to talk to the FAs and end up missing crucial bits of the plot line.

Speaking of headphones...

The BA F headphones were very low quality compared to the competition. They would be perfectly acceptable in J but in F you expect branded headphones with active noise cancelling technology and soft leather ear cups that feel good to wear.

Considering the fact that you get Bose noise cancelling headphones on AA in J, on the exact same route, you'd think BA would step things up a notch.

A shame really, as the lilting dulcet tones of Corey Taylor and his merry band of metal madmen suffered as a result.

Bedtime lullaby

After two hours of sleep I awoke, too excited about the fact I was on a plane to be able to sleep anymore.

One of the best things about sleeping on a plane is that instead of waking up to your alarm and the brash brightness of your mobile phone screen, you wake up to the gentle roar of jet engines and the majesty of nature.^

An FA noticed that I was awake and asked me if I'd like to have afternoon tea. I graciously accepted.

There was no choice of sandwiches, they came as a set. Sadly, none of them were above basic petrol station quality.

The warm scones, clotted cream and jam were fantastic though. The scones were very moist and flavourful and not at all crumbly/ dusty as I've experienced in other mass catered environments.

The FA noticed that I'd polished the scones off quite quickly and asked if I was still hungry. I opted to finish my afternoon tea with a Lamb slider with baba ghanoush and slaw. I left the bread and ate the rest, it was all simple and delicious. The lamb was even moderately spicy ^

Shortly after my table was cleared, the Captain made his announcement that we would soon commence our descent. We quickly had time to snap a selfie on the GoPro before packing our things away and changing, ready to disembark.

We landed at JFK on time, although we weren't quite ready for the weather given that it was supposed to be the first day of spring.

Being half Spanish I feel an odd sense of patriotic nostalgia pulling up next to an Iberia plane. I remember back in the 80s my mum would send me to sit in the cockpit and talk to the pilots, whilst she headed back to the smoking section of the plane for a cigarette.

Conclusion

BAs F product is a bit odd. In some ways it is very good and in others it is wilfully bad.

The lack of a proper F fast track is being addressed and that is a definite plus.
The CCR is too crowded, they need to expand it or add another.
There are a lot of seats in the F cabin but this isn't a huge deal, the finishes and ambience are very nice.
The IFE controls and headphones are in need of an update.
The food and beverage are borderline excellent but there is no caviar except for the shortest F route: Moscow. I personally prefer the money being spent on the rest of the ingredients but know that many F passengers disagree.
The lack of branding on the amenity kit, PJs and headphones gives the F product a generic, second rate feel.

Overall the experience was better than I was expecting. I was glad to be able to review BA F after having flown many of the airlines that it has been compared unfavourably against.

The hard product is certainly better than all of the OZ 747s and half of the TG F cabins. I also prefer it to QR's F on its A330s. The service is not highly polished though and certainly not up to the standard of SQ, NH and JL as for 'Western' service I think QF is still the one to beat although VS comes close.

The food and beverage were the big surprises. It seems that BA have turned something of a corner here. Both the CCR and onboard dining were more than acceptable as food one might find in a decent restaurant on the ground. If only they could get the rest of their lounges up to scratch...

Last edited by Jermyn; Aug 22, 2015 at 4:19 am
Old Aug 18, 2015, 4:31 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Since we were some of the first pax off the plane we were able to avoid the horrific queuing time that Y pax often experience at JFK. Nonetheless it was still at least half an hour before we cleared security and got to the luggage claim area.

Thankfully there were announcements explaining that connecting passengers have to collect their bags manually from them at a a connections counter. BA's check-in staff had forgotten to mention this to us.

As a result of schedule changes, we actually ended up with a 25hr layover (I love sneaky little victories like this ) but AA were happy to take the bags despite our next flight being more than a day away.

After this we called for an uber and within minutes we were headed outside, into the freezing cold, to meet our driver. The snow was really coming down.

As we were loading our bags K spotted a uniquely American scene, like something out of a movie, a convict in jumpsuit and full on chains being loaded into a van as what appeared to be air marshals and police officers, exchanged banter on the sidewalk.

You definitely don’t see this sort of thing in Europe.

The uber car was way nicer than what we get in London (almost always a Prius), otherwise we would have struggled with luggage and what turned out to be a pretty long drive to the Andaz Wall Street, the snow and rush hour traffic were conspiring to eat into our 25 hours!

Andaz Wall Street - Large King Room
We pulled up to the Andaz, on the corner of Wall and Water, at around 6:45pm. The blizzard was still in full force, so unloading of luggage was done with maximum haste. We rushed in and were met with a very busy, high ceilinged lobby.

This was the only picture we could take that didn't have hundreds of people in it!

The lobby was busy because it was the tail end of the Andaz’s daily 5-7pm happy hour. Which is particularly happy given that the alcohol is free.
When we made our way to the check-in counter the receptionist asked if we’d like to help ourselves to wine whilst we checked in. We did but one sip told us why it was free. This was box wine that had somehow made its way into a bottle. In Spain we mix wine of this quality level with coke, to make Kalimotxo.

We booked the room through tablet hotels which meant we got upgraded to a Large King from the standard King Room, we were also entitled to a 4pm checkout and any bottle of alcohol we wanted from the minibar. We were also told that all soft drinks and snacks from the minibar are free at Andaz hotels. ^

I had arranged to meet some friends at the hotel and we bumped into them as we made our way to the room. We arranged to meet them downstairs, in the regular bar with its (hopefully) normal tasting drinks.

This gave us a few minutes to photograph the room and get freshened up.

Our room had a very open plan feel, the sinks and toilet were on the left immediately upon entering.

A giant rotating wardrobe/ shelving unit/ cupboard was central to the design of the room.

The unit could be rotated to either close or open the room up as well as enabling you access the minibar whilst brushing your teeth/ hair
On the right, as we entered was the wetroom, which featured both a standalone shower and a deep soaking tub with a view!

The toiletries were Beekman branded.

I quite like having a window into the bedroom from the bathroom, I still remember the first time I saw a design feature like this back in 2000 as a teenager staying in a hotel in Malaysia - sitting in a jacuzzi bath, opening the windows onto the bedroom, watching TV whilst enjoying an ice cold drink from the minibar. ^

The bed was ultra comfortable, in exactly the way it needs to be after finishing a long day of travel.

iPod dock and alarm. I really like the slanted metal tray for coins and keys, built into the surface.

The furniture at the Andaz is all very cool looking and feels very solidly made.

I love when hotels have a padded seating area against the windows from which you can watch the city below. There's an amazing feeling of escape, seeing the bright lights of a foreign city below, not worrying about the time, just relaxing. One of my all time favourite hotels, Conrad Tokyo, also has this feature.

K liked it so much that she shot a couple of pics for her blog there.

Another very cool design trick was the use of the space around the TV.

The TV was housed within a unit with a mirrored back so that the space behind it could be used as a vanity area.

Just as we were heading out to meet our friends in the bar, K said she was "feeling peckish". I love that you can just grab little snacks and not worry about the cost at Andaz hotels, it definitely makes you feel more at home.

Looking at the minibar there appeared to be a strong contender for our choice of one free alcoholic drink.

I called my friends telling them to bring ice and glasses up with them. Given the size of the room the four of us had plenty of space to hang out and pre-game before heading out to dinner.
Conclusion
The Andaz Wall Street has huge rooms, a free minibar and 2 hours of free (slightly horrific) booze every day.
The staff are friendly and the rooms are cool and modern without emphasising style over substance.
The location is out of the way compared to some Midtown hotels but then again it's closer to everything south of Houston, including Battery Park, South Street Seaport, The Statue of Liberty and the Freedom Tower (and of course Wall Street!).

I probably wouldn't recommend it for a first time visitor spending 2 nights or less in the city, as they'd miss out on the unique buzz of stepping out of a Midtown hotel into the bustling streets of Manhattan. For a repeat visitor or somebody willing to split their stay between North and South Manhattan, I'd say this hotel should be near the very top of the list.

New York sights

Dinner on our single night in NYC was at ABC Kitchen in Union Square. This is a lively, trendy restaurant and bar tucked away near Union Square. The food was fantastic (you can't really go wrong with any of Jean Georges Vongerichten's restaurants - trust me, I've been to all of them ) and the bar scene was super energetic. The room had an awesome energy to it, a perfect example of what makes New York so great.

I'm salivating looking at this steak again. We pretty much got to hear the animal's life story when it arrived.

When we woke up the following day we walked around Wall Street for a while before making our way to the Ground Zero memorial and One World Trade Centre.

We managed to walk up quite a hunger with our morning's sightseeing (along with an hour or two running around Century 21 looking for bargains!). Just as well because we were meeting our friends for lunch at a New York institution that requires a healthy appetite.

My recommendation: wait in line for a table, the counters are 4 deep at all times and an absolute er... clusterfluff.

The staff are fast talking, loud and slightly obnoxious. Let's be honest they're dealing with huge numbers of customers and barely have a moment to catch their thoughts, the atmosphere and energy is actually not too dissimilar to a trading floor.

Our table was up against a wall at the back, this meant we didn't have any people brushing past us plus we got a great view of the whole room.

My first ever Matzo ball soup, it was delicious and the perfect foil to the freezing weather outside.

We weren't there for the soup though. We went for the 3 meat platter with an extra pastrami sandwich.

Words cannot do justice to the supreme magnificence of this meat.

Hidden away next door is a place serving the best ice cream I've ever tasted. Leave room for this. Seriously. I've gone around Italy searching for the best gelatos in Milan, Rome and Florence - this is better.

Somewhat weighed down by the abundance of meat and ice cream in our stomachs we headed back to the Andaz to gather our things and catch our uber to JFK.

As luck would have it, not only did my flight get moved forward by an hour but K's got cancelled entirely, shifting her booking to the same flight as me. I've never seen a day in which 2 F award seats are available on the same A321T flight (which is understandable given the size of the F cabin), so things really worked out for us.

JFK

We asked our uber driver to pull up by the priority entrance.

Once inside we saw lines of people snaking around in all directions. It wasn't exactly clear where the first class area was but eventually we found it. A surly woman was guarding a rope and barked "can I help you?" as we approached. We said we'd like to check in for our flight. She took a moment, looked at us and said "This is first class". "Thanks, we're in the right place then", I said. She didn't seem too happy about that. Oh well, AA staff do have a bit of a reputation, I guess its not entirely unwarranted.

In fairness though, the check-in AAgent was very friendly and went out of her way to explain where the priority line was and how exactly to find the Flagship lounge.

Unfortunately the fast track security situation was just as out of control in JFK as in LHR. Although in this case, the non-priority security line was way worse.

It would have been nice to have a dedicated channel for F passengers but then again there are airports like HKG that have no fast-track at all so I guess I can't complain.

AA Flagship First Class Lounge - JFK

The AA Flagship lounge was a drab and sorry little dive. In an alliance where CX and JL are constantly pushing things forward both in terms of onboard product as well as lounges; AA's offering in its home base, its 'Flagship', is utterly lamentable.

A single room, crammed with people with a bunch of sofas arranged in the style of a waiting room and a mediocre buffet at the far end. The sofa chairs felt cheap and rubbery, the carpet featured a pattern that you know was designed to hide dirt and the power sockets were garish and utilitarian.

K's smile as she discovers we're about to leave

One positive note: the tarmac views

K and I sat for a while reminiscing over the time we spent at The Wing in HKG, comparing the cabanas with deep soaking tubs, restaurant and champagne bar to this lounge. Let's be honest though, the CCR is leagues ahead of this too.

We made the decision to head over to the gate just as boarding was being called, rather than our usual trick of waiting until the final call. This meant that I had plenty of time to photograph our graceful bird for this afternoon's flight to Los Angeles.

Those sharklets on the wings look amazing. The overall look of the A321T, particularly in this livery, is very sleek - almost missile like

American Airlines AA181
New York (JFK) - Los Angeles (LAX)
Airbus A321T
Seat 2A
First Class

As soon as we stepped onto the plane we knew that we were in for a great flight. The lead FA was absolutely on top of his game. He was friendly, engaging and very welcoming. He was one of the most genuinely warm and sincere FAs I've ever encountered.

He was clearly very happy to be working with such a fantastic hard product and his pride shone through in his work.

With only ten seats, arranged in a 1-1 configuration, this is a truly unique cabin. The reverse herringbone seats are very similar to those that we'd previously experienced on BR and CX J although the colour scheme used by AA is a lot more neutral.

Plenty of storage space, although my boots didn't fit into the floor level compartment.

Latest touchscreen IFE system with swipeable controls and multiple input and headphone options.

Universal power socket located at chest height for charging of items set on the side or stored in the shelving unit.

One of AA's limited edition amenity kits, featuring all the airlines that joined to form the AA of today.

The case has a really nice feel to it and is designed for re-use as an iPad mini case

Much like the seat, the amenity kit is similar to what J pax get on AA's newest international J services.

Given the fact that the A321T is a narrowbody, if you're in F you can easily turn to speak to your travelling companion across the aisle. This private jet feel is pretty unique.

At the time we took the flight AA wasn't serving champagne on its Flagship transcon route, in First class. This meant that I had to go for my trusty backup drink for my PDB: G&T.

The G&T was served with mixed warm nuts.

Once we'd reached our cruising altitude the FA came round to take food orders. K and I were totally stuffed from our lunch at Katz's so we asked if we could maybe have a salad later on.

He told us that this was absolutely no problem and that he would keep the drinks flowing in the meantime to help us work up an appetite. ^
So I had free flowing G&Ts and a huge number of entertainment options to explore. Not a bad position to be in!

I love that AA gives Bose noise cancelling headphones to international J passengers as well as domestic F passengers on the 3 class transcons.

I settled down with another G&T and some uncensored entertainment. There's nothing worse than being on an Asian carrier and seeing obscure plotholes develop and dialogue cease to flow as the result of censorship.

After watching a movie I was beginning to get a little hungry, so I called over the FA and ordered the Thai grilled chicken appetiser. He was delighted that I had chosen to eat something and immediately sprung into action setting the table for me.

As it was a cold dish it came out really quickly.

Unfortunately this dish was a total miss. The flavours just didn't work well together and the watermelon was not as fresh as it could have been

Buttonhole for attaching your napkin French style to protect your clothes. Nice detail!

Given the portion size and the fact that the dish wasn't particularly satisfying, I took the FA up on his offer of a salad, hoping that this would prove the Thai chicken to be a fluke.

The Thai chicken was not a fluke. The salad was just as bad. It was basically some trail mix and cheese thrown on top of some broken lettuce leaves. It was actually quite hard to eat without drenching it in dressing, the pieces just kept falling off my fork.

The main checkmark for the F&B was the espresso machine though. I was able to order double espressos throughout the flight, which tasted great.

Unfortunately the premium budget did not stretch to water. I would have expected something like Fiji in F, or even Poland Spring as opposed to Dasani purified water.

The time flew by quite quickly and before we knew it, the lights of LA appeared beneath us.

Conclusion

The FA totally made this flight for me. He really made it his mission to ensure that we had the best experience possible.
For a flight of this length the seat is exceptional, as is the entertainment system.
The lack of champagne was strange and I'm glad this has been sorted. The food needs some serious work if this product is really going to stand out as THE premium transcon experience. I've not flown it myself but the seat and food do look better on Jet Blue Mint class.

I'm glad I tried this product but don't feel the need to rush back to it, given that there are direct options to LAX from LHR.

Last edited by Jermyn; Aug 23, 2015 at 4:54 am
Old Aug 18, 2015, 4:31 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Part 3 : Andaz West Hollywood and L.A.

Part 3 : Andaz West Hollywood and L.A. sights

Our flight arrived into L.A. at around 9pm. Hoping to get to our hotel as soon as possible, we tried uber. Unfortunately there were no basic uber cars, only uber black - I've since learned that they've been actively blocked from serving LAX, although the situation is quite fluid.

So, we ended up taking a massive towncar to the Andaz West Hollywood. The ride was super comfortable and the driver was very friendly and provided bottled water. For around $50 the value actually wasn't too bad.

An interesting turn of events: our bags had disappeared and we were told by an AAgent that they would be arriving sometime the following day. Quite why this would happen, given that we'd checked them in over a day in advance, I couldn't understand.

I've never had luggage go missing before and this was particularly annoying given that we were dressed for a New York blizzard.

Still, one quick call to Amex confirmed that we were entitled to claim Ł300 (around $450 at the time) each for clothing and toiletries if our bags were delayed by over 3 hours. Given the time of day, we'd have to wait until the following morning to go shopping...

The Andaz is located right on the Sunset Strip so the location is great.

The decor and ambience skew a lot cooler and younger than at Wall Street, which makes sense.

Given the late hour of our arrival, the lobby was much quieter than in Wall Street. We were greeted and asked to take a seat as well as being offered a glass of wine to drink during check-in.

I made this booking directly with Hyatt and was informed that we'd been upgraded to a Strip view room as a result of my Platinum HGP status. There is a real difference between the regular rooms round the back and those with a strip view. Back in the days when this hotel was branded as a Hyatt House (and more commonly known as the Riot House due to the rock and roll debauchery that took place within its confines) it had balconies on all the strip view rooms. Axl Rose once barbecued steaks and threw them to fans below but this didn't bother management as much as the frequent defenestration of TVs that happened here.

With the refurb and name change the balconies were shut off and incorporated into the strip view rooms, thereby adding an additional sitting room with floor to ceiling windows onto the bedrooms.

The initial impression was that the room was much smaller and cheaper looking than the sister property in Wall Street.

The orange plastic dog was for sale in the minibar menu for $300. Imagine the money they'd make if the balconies were still there and people starting launching these onto the strip!

The bathroom was far smaller than Wall Street and very basic.

The shower area was pretty nice though

Not a brand I'm familiar with but these smelled quite good.

With the curtain at the far end of the room drawn (or if you had a room round the back) you'd be disappointed paying 5* hotel prices for this room.

However, once you pulled the curtain back:

The people watching from here on a Saturday night was exceptional. I saw things that can't really be repeated on this forum. Let's just say it's a dynamic and exciting place to be

After freshening up we made our way along the strip, looking for some dinner. Foursquare suggested one place which is very close to the Andaz, saying that it had some of the best Mexican food in the area.

A hotel with an equally storied and devious past as our own looms over our amusingly named dinner venue - the castle-like hotel is the Chateau Marmont (or just the Chateau to locals)

We arrived just before the cut off for food but our server was unbelievably helpful and enthusiastic and told us not to worry. What a contrast to the buzzy New York restaurant from the night before. Relaxing in a rose filled terrace on a warm March evening in California.

After eating so little on the transcon, I think we may have over ordered. Still I couldn't resist ordering fish tacos when in California, it just so happens that they came with a bunch of sides

After dinner and a couple of margaritas we made our way back to the Andaz for some much deserved rest. Jet lag being what it is, I awoke at 6am the next morning, super alert and awake.

I let K sleep whilst I headed to the lobby for complimentary coffee and snacks.

I obviously couldn't avoid catching up on FT along with my first cup of coffee!

The coffee was pretty weak, particularly seeing as Wall Street had a capsule based machine. Still it was coffee and it was there, so I drank three cups before getting my first 'real' coffee of the day once we left the property.

I took a cup up for K who was semi-awake. However, the pastry I brought up was the major incentive she needed to get out of bed.

Whilst she got ready I sat in the living room area and called AA and Amex to confirm that we 100% definitely weren't about to get our bags and that we could go ahead and start buying replacement clothes.

We'd arranged to meet a friend of ours for Sunday Brunch at the Polo Lounge so didn't have much time to shop. We literally had 3 hours to spend $450 each. Our destination: The Grove.

We chose it because it has a farmers market which opens before the regular shops on a Sunday, where we could get breakfast and be there ready to go as soon as the shops opened.

Welcome to L.A.

Hot dog for breakfast? Don't mind if I do.

The results?

Shopping spree complete!

Aside from the slight complication at LAX, uber works fantastically in LA. The best thing? Whilst we were there they were trialling a service called UberPool where you can offer to share your ride with somebody else, whether or not you end up sharing: the cost of your ride gets capped at $5!!!

Heading back and forth to our hotel paying 5 bucks for taxis, arms loaded with brand new clothes was pretty damn cool.

We managed to make it to the Beverly Hills Hotel just in time to meet our friend in the Lobby. She were staying at the hotel, which was a world away from our accommodation. It is a Hollywood institution and more country club than rock n roll. Rumour has it that many of the biggest movie deals in Hollywood history have been done in the very same Polo Lounge where we were about to have brunch.

View from our friend's room

We managed to score a great outdoor booth table which offered privacy whilst allowing us to see everybody else

This has got to be my new go to drink for a boozy brunch. The Ramos Fizz : Gin, Cream, Orange and Soda Water - amazing!

The girls

Tortilla soup, one of the signature dishes

After our brunch the sun properly came out for the first time since we'd left London. We thought this would be a perfect opportunity to check out the Andaz's famous rooftop pool.

The view around the back of the hotel, not too bad!

Museum style plaques explained the history of the hotel, en route to the rooftop bar and pool.

Love at First Class, I wouldn't quite go that far

The views go on for ever from the Andaz rooftop

Miss H

K enjoying the sun

Plastic glasses, not exactly 5* but I guess it avoids accidents when things get a little too 'Viper Room'

One of the things I was most excited about on this trip was having dinner at Animal. Its a restaurant that specialises in meat, particularly offal.

This is clearly one of the top places to eat in LA right now. Countless people turned up whilst we waited for our table and they were all turned away. We ended up having to wait for nearly 40 minutes after our allotted time and others appeared to be waiting longer.

The staff were in a little over their heads but man, the food was seriously good. Like unbelievably lick the plate clean good. I can taste it now looking through these images. If any of you are doing and ex-DUB HNL and are wondering whether to stop in LA, the answer is yes. Eating at Animal is worth the trip alone.

Veal brains, vadouvan, apricot puree, carrot

Rabbit larb, minutina, herbs, thai chili, crispy shallot

Pig ear, red chili, lime, market egg

"Honey walnut" sweetbreads, JW' black sriracha, chili threads, scallion

Bacon chocolate crunch bar, s&p ice cream (the server kindly comped us this as we had to wait so long for our table, it was absolutely spectacular).

Our final morning in la la land.

We were both up early so took the opportunity to pack our stuff and make the most of our last few hours in LA before our 1pm flight to Tokyo Narita.

This started with a couple of cups of coffee and then a trip to the rooftop for some early morning photography.

After that we took an uber over to Hollywood boulevard for some good old fashioned sightseeing.

Who the fudge is Buster Crabbe?

That, my friends, is what I called targeted advertising.

One of the best views of the Hollywood sign can be had from the Hollywood & Highland Mall.

The view through the mall's binoculars.

Our time in LA was all too brief. Still we got to see the sights, eat all kinds of delicious food, drinks some awesome cocktails and go on a shopping spree courtesy of Amex (and the baggage hAAndlers).

The Andaz was a great hotel for our purposes, in a city the size of LA location is really important and for me The Strip is where it's at. Next time though, I might spring for the Chateau...

Last edited by Jermyn; Aug 25, 2015 at 4:26 pm
Old Aug 18, 2015, 4:32 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

The drive to the airport was fairly eventful. It was the first time we actually had to share our ride when requesting Uber Pool but this was no big deal.

The driver was the first female Uber driver I've ever had. She was also a hot Brazilian model and actress. Seriously. It turns out that driving Ubers has become a preferred profession for those looking to make it big in Hollywood. When you're a server you have flexibility but you can't always run away at the last minute for an audition. Uber, it transpires, is the perfect fit for LA.

The guy we were pooling with was also pretty interesting. A fellow Brit, he was also an actor and was on his way to an audition in the area near LAX. As a huge fan of 2D fighting games I was pretty stoked to hear that he also wrote and starred in the Netflix series Streetfighter : Assasin's Fist. I made sure to watch it as soon as I got back. Whilst it is no Kung Fury, it's still pretty good

Anyway. We got to LAX with no problems at all. For all I've heard about LA traffic it really was never an issue during our stay. We were dropped at the AA domestic terminal as we needed to go and check on the status of our missing bags.

It turns out that they had arrived a day before us rather than being scheduled to arrive a day after. The AAgent looking at the baggage system had misunderstood why our bags weren't on the carousel when we first arrived. Oh well, we were reunited with the bags, safe and sound, with the AAgent's incompetence netting us $900 of new clothes, so no complaint from us

The walk to the TBIT was quick and simple, we were checked in and made our way through fast track security in no time at all.

Whilst I was tempted to check out the OW business lounge with its fireplace and 'food trucks' I figured that we should take a look at the F lounge, seeing as we had the option.

As you can see, there was plenty of space and absolutely nobody in the lounge around midday. The carpet has that same dizzying effect as the one used in the QF F lounges in SYD and MEL. I remember reading that this was done deliberately although I'm not exactly sure why.

We took a seat in the dining area and were quickly greeted by a server who brought us some menus.

Given that we were planning on having an enormous amount of food and drink on our 12 hour flight to Tokyo, we took it easy and just ordered a couple of things.

The salt and pepper squid was pretty good. Nicely crunchy, non-oily and with a slight chili kick. The dipping sauce options were tasty too, I am a major fan of aioli.

K opted for the the Bel Gioso burrata with prosciutto, piquillo peppers and basil. She absolutely loved it. A dish like that is all about the ingredients so that speaks to the quality of the lounge's supply.

After our food we made some coffees and settled down in the maroon relaxation chairs by the windows.

As well as really good coffee, there was a huge selection of teas as well as biscuits and cakes.

My favourite part of the lounge. I feel that this was the most relaxing area as well as being the most tastefully decorated. I definitely prefer the wooden floors to the psychedelic carpet!

As you can see, I was in need of this coffee. Usually I look a lot more excited before a flight, especially a long haul flight in F on one of the World's top carriers.

The biggest drawback to this lounge is the lack of outdoor views. Seeing the planes come and go is great but so is the ability to take a final parting look at the city that you are leaving. Of course you get this once you're on board but I really enjoy those parting moments of contemplation sat in the lounge.

Boarding was announced just as we were making coffee. So after another ten minutes we gathered our belongings.

LA was great but we remained sanguine. The beauty of flying like this is that there's always something else to look forward to. In this case JL F and the slopes of Niseko!

Last edited by Jermyn; Sep 8, 2015 at 2:46 pm
Old Aug 18, 2015, 4:32 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

JAL 61
Los Angeles (LAX) – Tokyo Narita (NRT)
Duration: 11hr
Aircraft: Boeing 777-300ER
Seat: 1K (First Class)

We made our way to the plane with about 30 minutes to go before scheduled departure. Usually I leave it even later to get on the plane. However nice the cabin is, it isn't going to be as spacious as the lounge!

In this instance though I was eager to see the sunshine one last time before heading off to the snowy North of Japan.

Our ride for the next 11 hours, resplendent against the bright Californian sky

We were warmly greeted at the door and shown to our seats on opposite sides of the cabin. Bizarrely JL blocks half the seats in its F cabin before check-in so we were left with no option. Kamara was in 2A and I was in 1K. This meant that in order to talk to each other we would have to walk through the galley each time.

I asked the FA if we she could ask one of the Japanese gentlemen in 1A or 2K if they wouldn't mind swapping. She either didn't understand what I was asking for or was embarrassed to ask them. So we just left it and headed our separate ways.

The JL F seat is a big, sturdy leather armchair. It is quite firm with a softer top layer which makes it very pleasant for sitting and lounging. The seat cushion was made of memory foam and was ridiculously comfortable.

My first impression of the seat was that it looked good but also quite generic. I think it would have been better if JL had added more Japanese touches. They also should have moved away from the sanitised look of the white plastic, either by employing different interior colour scheme entirely or at least by framing the windows in the way that BA does. It may sound strange to say this but for me, the best F products change the interior of the plane so much that the normal shape of the fuselage is almost entirely obscured. This is a great way of differentiating F from J. In terms of its peers I'd say that JL F is most similar to TG F on the A380 albeit with higher quality finishes.

Having said all that the seat is very comfortable and private, which is more important than aesthetics when you have to spend half a day sitting in it.

A glass of champagne and a seat with massage controls. Life is good.

Before I could even begin exploring the seat an FA came over with a bottle of Salon Blanc de Blancs 2002. Given that this is the most expensive champagne regularly served in First Class on any airline I was very curious to see how good it was.

Personally I prefer PR Winston Churchill but otherwise Salon is right at the top of the list of champagnes I've tried. At double the price of the Churchill I don't think I'll be popping down to Berry Brothers for a bottle any time soon though

At this point I decided to pop the window shades up and enjoy that Californian sunshine one last time, as well as a close up view of the SQ A380 at the gate next to us.

A preview of things to come in my next TR

After finishing my first glass of Salon I indulged in one of my favourite pursuits (aside from drinking top shelf champagne): childlike exploration and photography of a new aircraft seat.

Plenty of storage space and the backup remote for the IFE

I love the fact that we even got controls for the foot light

The main IFE control, smartphone style.

I feel like they could have either moved this power socket into the main storage compartment or, better yet, added another one there.

A couple of minutes into my exploration an FA approached with an amenity kit and a top up for my PDB.

The amenity kit is Loewe branded. Being half Spanish I'm very familiar with this brand and was delighted to see it in this context. For those of you that don't know it, it is often described as the Spanish Hermes and like Hermes their silk ties and leather goods are of the highest quality. Sometimes airlines just take generic items and license the branding, I'm happy to report though that the JL Loewe corduroy kit bag feels soft and sturdy and has a cleverly designed zipper system which allows it to be stored horizontally or hung vertically in the shower. It is one of the few amenity kits that I've kept and used regularly since first receiving it.

In fact, in terms of design and quality, this is the nicest amenity kit I've ever seen.

In addition to the main kit I was handed a Shiseido Men skincare box.

After my quick play with the amenity kit I turned my attention to the amazing view out of the windows.

Up until this point, my best ever in-flight dining experience was on ANA First Class so I was very excited to see how its major domestic rival would compare. A look through the menu showed that I was likely to be in for a real treat.

I didn't even make it to the food portion of the voluminous menu before an FA appeared with an amuse bouche and a fresh glass of Salon.

Honestly the three mouthfuls were all very similar, doughy base with an indeterminate paste on top (one of which also had caviar). This was certainly not a patch on the NH F amuse bouche I had experienced a year earlier.

Still, I was excited to see what awaited me in the main act of the meal.

As the FA came over to set my table I asked if it would be possible for K to come and join me. The ottoman on JL is full length so there is plenty of room for two people to dine together.

A quick shot that K snapped of me, pensively looking into the middle distance, whilst we waited for the first course.

My first course was the caviar, from the Western menu. K opted to wait and just have the Japanese courses.

I like that JL gives you an entire tin to yourself although the caviar wasn't particularly special. The mouthfeel was a little soft and you couldn't really feel the individual eggs bursting in your mouth like you do with higher quality caviar.

I thought the little garnish boat looked good though and provided condiments in measured and appropriate quantities. I was also pleasantly surprised to see a perfectly cut disc of potato in lieu of a third blini.

Since the caviar is on the Western menu I was brought a full set of Western cutlery, beautifully presented:

I was expecting a plastic or mother of pearl spoon for the caviar but one wasn't offered. I therefore committed an act of sacrilege and used a metal teaspoon to eat the caviar with.

After the caviar was cleared the FA returned with a tray full of small dishes. Our Japanese starter.

Soy milk jelly; Steamed abalone with cream cheese topped with uni; Simmered Spring vegetables; Crabmeat and caviar; Grilled Sea-bream

The soy milk jelly was quite interesting but the seafood all seemed quite chewy, the abalone in particular. The crab was a little sinewy and the sea bream was dry. I was pretty disappointed to be honest. I was expecting better. One thing I really liked though were the chopsticks. The were made of cedar wood, the smell of the wood made for a very pleasant sensation whilst eating. Being wooden also made them great for gripping slippery food items, much better than plastic or metal chopsticks.

Japanese clear soup with shrimp mousse. This was quite flavourful although the mousse was a little on the dense and rubbery side.

The sea-bream sashimi style was the best fish course of the meal. It was fresh with a clear taste and firm texture. Unfortunately the squid and potato; shrimp and vegetables; duck roll and smoked salmon rolls were all bland and lacking in flavour.

The main course was quite good. The rice, being the only freshly cooked component of the meal, tasted fantastic. I particularly liked the subtle chicken flavour.

The sablefish was a little overcooked but had a great umami taste.

Our photographer

The Japanese sweet was not great, it had a starchy taste and texture and very little in the way of actual sweetness. I would have preferred a mochi of some sort.

Rather than my usual coffee I opted for a green tea to finish the meal with.

K had been drinking the Queen of Blue Royal Tea throughout the meal and I actually switched from champagne midway through as well.

The tea has a wonderful and complex flavour and is bottled like wine. It retails for an astronomical amount. I can actually see why. It is really, really nice. I have a flight on JL F coming up soon and I think I may be looking forward to drinking this more than the Salon

I think we actually managed to drink 3 or 4 bottles between us on this flight, I was certainly more hydrated than on my usual flights when I drink a similar amount of Krug!

After finishing the meal I changed into my PJs. I was offered L at first, this seems to be the default "foreigner size" when in Japan. The trousers were like a ludicrous set of pirate pantaloons. The FA gladly switched them for a full set of M PJs.

At this stage she also asked whether I preferred a firm or soft bed.

The JL F trousers are very high quality and have a thick and comfortable waistband. The top is way too thick in my opinion, great for a set of winter PJs but not so good for an airplane cabin. I just wore a thin t-shirt instead.

I should mention though that I didn't find the cabin too hot. A lot of people complain about this on JL but I found the cabin no different than any other major carrier. Maybe they have the thick PJ tops so people who like it hot can have it their way, whilst the rest of us have things at a more moderate room temperature.

I came back to my seat to find the bed made.

Melatonin, Nyquil and a glass of water. Crucial tools for sleep on a RTW itinerary.

The mattress topper could be set to either soft or firm. I opted for soft, figuring that a seat would provide a firm enough base as it is.

The final piece of the sleeping puzzle? noise cancelling headphones.

For some reason, unlike the ones on AA, you have to manually flick the power switch on these Bose headphones.

I love this little detail. A groove on the top of the reading light, made for you to rest your headphones.

After attempting to sleep for a couple of hours I gave up and decided to watch some movies.

JL has quite an extensive movie selection. In fact I'm not usually one to complain about IFE quality. As long as the system is responsive and there are at least one or two decent movies, I'm happy.

It's great that BA, AA, SQ etc. all have tons of full series available, as well as movies but it doesn't bother me too much when the likes of TG, JL and NH don't. On an 11 hour flight there's really only time to watch two or maybe three movies after you've factored in time eating, drinking and sleeping. Plus I'll often use the time to catch up on some reading.

There is no formal second meal on JL flights but the snack selection is very extensive.

For my second meal I started with some more caviar

Look what showed up this time! A mother of pearl spoon!

After many hours of self-imposed temperance, I dove headfirst off the wagon

The salt grilled wild salmon, despite being served many hours into the flight was much more moist and flavourful than the sea-bream from the first meal. I think that fatty proteins work much better on airplanes. Fat carries flavour and keeps food moist, both important factors to consider in the dry atmosphere of an aircraft cabin, where taste is impaired.

This is why I'll almost always go for short ribs when they feature on a menu. Similarly I'd usually expect salmon to blow away cod or bream.

With less than two hours to go before touching down in Narita, I decided to freshen up and change out of my PJs in preparation for our 5pm arrival.

Of course, after almost a full 30 hours without sleep I would require some assistance to make it through the rest of the day.

The coffee was absolutely superb

As were the chocolates

Conclusion

The hard product on JL is very comfortable but also a little spartan feeling. The seat and bed are superior to BA F but the styling and finishes are not.

The food was a big disappointment, at least when it came to the main omakase meal. The freshly cooked rice was great though and the beverage selection is second to none (and equalled only by NH F in my experience).

The crew were competent but not particularly warm, they didn't provide what I would call luxurious service. I keep coming back to NH as a point of reference but their crew were much more friendly and proactive. Unfortunately the seating problem at the beginning set the tone. Funnily enough after we got off the plane K told me that her PJs had been taken away from her (as others on FT have reported) whereas I came away with two sets: one L and one M! Perhaps this was the result of being 8/8 in F.

As always though, I find it better to reserve judgement, particularly on matters of soft product, until having a larger sample size. I was very curious to see how my return HND-LHR flight was going to pan out...

Last edited by Jermyn; Sep 12, 2015 at 1:13 pm
Old Aug 18, 2015, 4:33 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

After arriving in NRT we only had an hour or so before our domestic flight to CTS. The transfer to the domestic terminal was very simple and efficient.

We made our way to the lounge and met up with my old friend Mr M, who was waiting for us outside. Although we had bought J seats (I love how JL actually brands them as "J" rather than business ) for an extra 1000JPY (about $8) this doesn't come with lounge access.

Since we were transferring from international F we had no trouble guesting him in though.
JAL Domestic Lounge - Tokyo Narita Airport

I think K was starting to get a bit tired here.

This was as quiet as the lounge got

Nothing ground breaking here. A coffee machine, some simple sandwiches and packaged snack mix

A slightly larger display of the same stuff

I think I may have worn the espresso button out

I definitely wouldn't be making my way to the airport early to use the domestic lounge but it was nice to have a place to catch up and have coffee for 20 minutes or so before our flight.

JAL JL3049
Tokyo Narita (NRT) - Sapporo Chitose (CTS)
Boeing 737-800
Seat 4K
J Class

Bus gate fun

The J cabin on this 737 occupied the first 4 rows of the cabin in a 2-3 layout. We grabbed 3 seats together in Row 4.

The seats are more comfortable and spacious than what BA offers in their short haul business class cabins and the upgrade only cost us $8.

...and I thought Ryanair was bad

I remember being given water. Then I guess this happened:

Once at CTS we rushed to a convenience store to grab some provisions for our 2 hour shuttle bus to the Hilton Niseko.

Hilton Niseko

We arrived at the grand illuminated entrance of the Hilton just after midnight. K ran ahead to check us in whilst Mr M and I took care of the bags. I had a feeling there wouldn't be many check-in counters open at this time to process everybody on the bus. Given that this leg of the trip had begun at around 10am on Monday, when we left the Andaz in West Hollywood, and it was now almost quarter past Wednesday - I was ready to get to the room asap.

How cool is that fireplace?!

The monolithic lobby bar

The lobby was pretty empty when we arrived. If this had been a European ski hotel there would be loads of hammered people wandering around, making noise, ready to feel like hell on the slopes a few hours later.

In Japan it seems like people actually go skiing to enjoy a wholesome outdoor holiday of sport and healthy food. How odd

I booked us a triple room during the January sale so this only worked out at $30 each for a hotel located on the slopes, right next to the gondola.

Check-in was very quick and efficient. My HHonors Gold status was acknowledged and a late 4pm check-out offered, I asked for 6pm, given that we were booked on an evening flight back - no problem.

We were handed some slope maps, a list of restaurants with opening times and keys to our room.

Triple Room

HHonors Gold welcome amenity

I drew the short straw(berry)

I like how the room had an additional sink outside of the bathroom

Standard Peter Thomas Roth amenties

I didn't get any pics of the tiny bathroom, sorry!
Given that we were in Japan we didn't use the shower at all, opting instead to don our Yukatas (lightweight kimonos) and head to the Onsen (natural outdoor hot springs) instead.

Trying to look tough in our Yukatas

Realising we're not tough, in our Yukatas

I tell you what, nothing beats sitting outside in a hot spring, looking up at the stars, surrounded by snow after a long day of travel.

I obviously didn't get any pics in the onsen but here's a stock pic to give you an idea.

We couldn't see anything out of the windows when we arrived so it was a fantastic surprise to wake up to this view!

As much as I love cities and airports, I feel that you haven't really explored or gotten a sense of deep relaxation until you've seen what a country has to offer geographically.

Japan has a lot to offer.

Breakfast

After a quick dip in the onsen we put on our snow gear and made our way to the breakfast buffet at the Hilton's Yotei restaurant, named for Mt Yotei the volcanic dominator of the local skyline.

Mt Yotei view from the restaurant. The pool of water below is the overflow from the onsen.

If you were to ask me what my favourite meal is, I would't even hesitate: Asian hotel buffet breakfast. I still remember the first time I saw a hotel breakfast spread in a Marriott in Malaysia, at the age of 13. My jaw nearly hit the floor. Noodles, dim sum, fresh tropical fruit, an omelette chef, full english breakfast meats, endless coffee - I was in heaven. Little did I realise that this was absolutely standard practice.^

Seeing as we'd be doing tons of exercise to work up an appetite and Hokkaido is famed as the source of the best food in Japan, you can imagine how psyched I was for this!

The Yotei restaurant is beautifully bathed in natural light and has a phenomenal panoramic view of Mt Yotei and the surrounding countryside. As soon as you enter, before you've even sat down, you are both relaxed and totally awake - ready to take on the day.

The service was excellent, every day our coffees would be waiting for us on the table before we'd even had a chance to fill our first plate of food.

Cereal and pastries

Omelette Station

Cod Roe, Pickled greens, grated radish

Grilled fish and hotpot station

Hotpot garnishes

Pancakes!

Green tea

Healthy choice

The food was excellent and I was glad to see that there was always some daily variety. Whilst you can see that I mainly went for Japanese food, there were also loads of European continental options as well as bacon, pancakes and even spaghetti bolognese!

It is at times like this that HHonors gold really shines. It has definitely had a meaningful impact on how I travel. Had we paid for breakfast it would nearly have doubled the price of our stay

After breakfast K spent the morning doing snowboard lessons whilst Mr M and I headed off in search of inventive ways to hurt ourselves.

It was pretty bright up on the mountain.

It got a little slushy one afternoon, so we switched our boards for snowmobiles.

Videoing our ride with my new toy.

The slopes at Niseko are incredibly well maintained and it was particularly good to be able to ski this late into the season (early April). There were numerous snow parks as well, I was amazed at how good some of the Japanese kids were, hitting 360s into railslides like it was nothing.

Lunch

There were a few different lunch options on the mountain but unfortunately none with outdoor seating. The Japanese don't really seem to like sitting outdoors to eat, something which I really enjoy in the Alps. There's nothing like coming back from a ski holiday with an awesome tan accumulated over a number of long lunches

There were a few cafeteria style places dotted around but my absolute favourite spot was an old blue roofed shack hidden next to the Hirafu gondola.

The centre of the shack had an open fire with metal rails around it, where people hung their glove and hats, getting them warm and toasty whilst they ate.

We hung our things up, dumped our googles and coats at a table and headed to the counter to order. The man taking our order must have been, no word of a lie, at least 85 years old. He was awesome. The food coming out of his kitchen was the best I've ever had on the slopes... by a long way. $12 gets you this:

Two set lunches: Miso soup, ginger and rice covered in fresh hokkaido crab and salmon roe

The king crab meat was sweet, succulent and piled high in a super generous serving. The glossy red pearls of salmon roe were fresh, springy and perfectly salty. Amazing. Absolutely amazing.

Give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire.

One day we came back to the hotel for lunch but weren't hungry enough to go for a full buffet (and didn't much fancy tearing down the backcountry with two pounds of fish in our stomachs) so we checked out a noodle bar in the food village by the hotel.

The food village is about 50m from the back entrance of the hotel and features numerous horrifically overpriced restaurants specialising in the local Hokkaido seafood (we're talking $100 per person to share one crab). This place was the only one we saw that looked reasonable. It turned out to be pretty great.

Pretty quiet during the day.

Sunbathing indoors.

Hokkaido Ramen

I'd wanted to try Hokkaido Ramen ever since seeing Anthony Bourdain talk about it on No Reservations. The Ramen noodles are topped with local shellfish (always crab, in this case prawns and scallops too), the equally famous Hokkaido sweetcorn and finally a large lump of Hokkaido butter (again, dairy being something for which this region of Japan is renowned). They were utterly fantastic.

At the end of a long day on the slopes this was a great spot to grab a coffee before taking the bus back to the Hilton. Although the Hilton is right on the slopes, the final run leading up to it is really long and winding. By 5pm when the snow has become slushy it is impossible to get to the end without unclipping your board and walking.

After our end of day coffees our daily ritual involved dropping all of our gear at the concierge. The Hilton has a really efficient system for storing and drying your equipment.

We would then order a round of boozy coffees by the fire in the lobby bar.

Round 2 would be purchased from the convenience store on the edge of the lobby. Along with some local snacks:

Most of the bars had a happy hour from 5-7pm. Other than the lobby bar our favourite was the casual Ezo pub. The place was open until 4am and was the closest thing to an apres ski bar as we know them back in Europe. Also they had an awesome selection of 90s rock music.

Pre-dinner, we would watch the sunset from our room and then enjoy a visit to the onsen.

Dinner

For our first dinner we tried to find some reasonably priced food at the food village but failed. Slightly deflated, we headed back to the Hilton and braced ourselves for something expensive and terrible.

Lucky for us, the food was neither.

Whilst certainly not cheap, at roughly $80 the sushi chef's omakase (tasting menu) at Rera was plentiful, fresh and absolutely delicious.

Ludicrously fresh tuna and salmon sashimi

Eel, flame broiled salmon, sweet omelette and scallop nigiri sushi

Grilled fish

Tempura shrimp with lime and pepper

The master hard at work

A mixture of nigiri and my favourite: Ikura (salmon roe) and Uni (sea urchin) gunkan.

I really enjoyed this quiet and relaxing pace of life. After a tough day smashing the slopes; sitting down for drinks followed by a long soak in an outdoor spring and then a delicious meal in a calm and elegant room were fantastic. Definitely a million miles from my usual hectic life in London.

On our final night we decided to take the shuttle to a nearby hotel, The Green Leaf Niseko Village. This was a really nice hotel, in more of a small boutique style right in the middle of the action in the main town of Niseko.

At an all you can eat buffet, much like in my day to day life, my rule is this: no extraneous carbs.

I'd taken quite a shining to Hokkaido crabs and scallops, so my meal consisted of this:

Repeated 5 times.

Summary

The Hilton Niseko is a fantastic resort hotel with numerous food and drink establishments, a great outdoor hot spring and a privileged position next to one of the main ski lifts. The service is excellent and the atmosphere is very relaxing. HHonors benefits were recognised and the hotel delivered a 6pm checkout, over and above their requirements as well as a beautiful in-room amenity at check-in.

As somebody with tattoos I was also happy that the Hilton exercised some common sense and did not forbid people with tattoos from using the onsen (the Conrad and Park Hyatt in Tokyo both indulge in this silly anachronism despite being large hotels with a sizeable international clientele).

I would not hesitate to return to the Hilton Niseko and would absolutely recommend visiting if you have plans to travel to Northern Japan. If you've never considered skiing in Japan I hope you'll all be inspired to look into it. All told this trip was signficantly better value than an equivalent trip in Europe and the snow conditions, food and service were all world class. Skiing in Hokkaido can also be easily combined with a visit to see the cherry blossoms in Tokyo/ Kyoto.

I was sad to leave Niseko behind but all this travelling was starting to make me quite tired.

Quite tired 1 : after dinner at The Green Leaf Niseko Village

Quite tired 2 : An inventive use for K's hood

It was time to start heading home. Although there's still a bit of a twist to come in this tale.

Last edited by Jermyn; Sep 26, 2015 at 5:11 pm
Old Aug 18, 2015, 4:33 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

After our late checkout from the Hilton Niseko we were lucky enough to end up with a private minibus as opposed to the large coach that we had taken on our journey into Niseko. I guess the hotel has a good amount of flexibility wth its vehicles and adapts the size to meet the demand.

We had a row each and took advantage of the space to get some sleep.

Our flight to HND was the last of the day, unfortunately it seemed like the middle aged Japanese businessman in front of us at the F check-in had made full use of the day to do nothing other than drink endless sake bombs.

He was slurring, dribbling, shouting and trying to reach for the female check-in agent. His unfortunate subordinate had to try and control him as best he could. It was like the younger guy was an apologetic butler with a besuited, rabid octopus in tow.

After that farcical check-in, my request to check my snowboard and suitcase all the way to LHR was handled with relative ease.
JAL JL530
Sapporo Chitose (CTS) - Tokyo Narita(NRT)
Boeing 737-800
Exit Row
Economy Class

It does happen... very rarely. For this flight we found ourselves Y. However, the fact that I was connecting in F meant that we were given an exit row to ourselves.

The flight was only about 60% full and boarding was completed quickly and efficiently (as tends to be the case in Japan). I once again dozed off and before I knew it we had arrived at HND.

I love flying into HND as it is so close to the city centre. It only takes around $5 and 20 minutes to get into town.

Exit rows, couples, single seats, high seats, low seats, seats in the middle of the carriage. Mayhem. Awesome monorail mayhem.

As my flight home was early the next day I picked a hotel that was located on the monorail line. The Dai Ichi Seafort. I liked that the rooms had bayviews, seemed modern and weren't ludicrously small like some of the absolutely silly cupboards people sometimes have the misfortune of inhabiting in Tokyo.

Dai Ichi Seafort Hotel

We made our way through the darkened monorail station, past a series of deserted shops and a ubiquitous (and still open) convenience store.

We arrived at the front desk at around quarter to midnight. We were ready to just collapse into bed and get some sleep after a long day of skiing, snowmobiling and travelling.

Unfortunately the hotel check-in staff had other ideas. We were asked to pay a supplement because there were two of us staying and they had been told by the OTA that there would only be one person. I spent some time on the phone in a hellish hold queue, got routed to some call centre in the Philippines and wasn't able to get a straight answer.

I was about to give up after the line went dead but then I saw that the manager was now making some phone calls. After another half hour he finally relented and just said "ok". "Room is ok for two, please".

I'm not sure whether the phone calls he made were even real, or if he was just saving face. Still we got to the room and finally fell into the sweet embrace of slumber.

In the morning we had time to briefly enjoy the awesome view whilst we got ready.

The very grand, main dining room at Dai-Ichi Seafort

Seafort station during the day

At this point I bade farewell to K as she was nesting a trip to visit her family in Shanghai, into her US Airways itinerary. She took the monorail back to HND, whilst I decided to risk heading in to Marunouchi to see some cherry blossoms.

The Tokyo Monorail

These machines are everywhere in Japan, even on the corners of quiet residential streets. You're never more than 2 minutes from a can of coffee

I'm actually kind of proud of the fact that I managed to make it all the way to Tokyo but was so busy and have been lucky enough to visit so many times (thanks to FT!), that I had completely forgotten about the cherry blossoms. It was only when checking out in Niseko that we were asked if we planned to see them during our remaining time in Japan.

Given that it was only 4 hours until wheels up I really had to rush to make it to Hibiya park for a morning power stroll and some very brisk Hanami (blossom watching).

Still, it was worth it. I would have been kind of sad to transit through one of my favourite cities in the World without at least setting foot in one of the busier central areas. In a way airport and peripheral hotels are kind of sad places, they represent a lack of time, lost opportunity. I guess Dai-Ichi at least had nice views and an impressive lobby. Then there are places like the Hyatt at Incheon which is just superb and so far from the city that it kind of makes sense.

Generally though, if I can squeeze in at least 2 or 3 hours in a city I'll jump at the chance, rather than spending time at the lounge.

This day was no general day. It was my first chance to check out JL's new F lounge at HND and I was pretty excited, to say the least!

The main floor of the departures area was absolutely rammed with people at 9am but this was a bright, energetic kind of busy, rather than an oppressive crush you might get elsewhere.

I love the sweeping design of the roof of the terminal building, you feel like you're making your way through a majestic hommage to man's airborne endeavours, rather than a utilitarian transport shed (here's looking at you LTN).

Given that I already had my F boarding pass, issued at CTS, I was able to beat the crowds and breeze straight through priority security.

JAL First Class Lounge - Tokyo Haneda Airport (HND)

From left to right, top to bottom: Showers. Baggage storage (JL are always great at providing lockers so you can quickly and easily store away and access your bags whilst in their lounges). Phone Room. Smoking Room. Main Lounge 1. Coffee Lounge. Restrooms. Restaurant Lounge. Buffet Area. Another phone area. Main Lounge 2. Massage chairs and treatment rooms. DIY bar. RED Suite (with champagne room, recreation room and John Lobb shoe shine concession).

The screen at the end represents two contrails crossing through a blue sky

Such beautiful design, incorporating the traditional Japanese screens along the walls

The Coffee lounge was empty for most of the time I was there.

The hallway to the showers

Ultra powerful shower. Unfortunately the lounge staff weren't able to provide any shaving foam or body lotion though.

The beginning section of Main Lounge 1

Main Lounge 1. Amazing, panoramic views of the runway. Every area of the lounge was tastefully decorated with very solid and well designed furniture, trees and sculptures throughout. There was also ample opportunity to find a power socket, without needing to trail wires around.

Runway view

The Restaurant area of the lounge. This was the busiest section. If I was suffering from jet lag and needed to wake up, I'd head here for the panoramic runway views and the energetic buzz of people moving around. The centrepiece of the restaurant area was the live cooking station. In the morning the chef makes pancakes.

A huge buffet selection of very high quality food

More buffet selections

My first point of call

The ever present automatic Japanese draft beer machines.

A fridge filled with frosty beer glasses and soft drinks

Beautiful, aerodynamic sculpture at the entrance to Main Lounge 2

Main Lounge 2. I found this section to be quieter and brighter than Main Lounge 1 and decided to sit and watch the planes go by for a while.

Coffee and chocolate truffles for breakfast...

...and a massage. I reserved the massage as I checked in to the lounge. After finishing my coffee I went to the massage area and was greeted by and old lady who asked me to take my top off, or so I thought. She seemed very shocked when I not only took my jumper off but also my polo shirt. She immediately ran out of the treatment room and came back with a load of towels. She then proceeded to massage my neck and shoulders through the towels. Haha, lost in translation I guess Next time I'll try out the mechanised massage machines!

After my massage I went in search of a drink.

A very good selection. Hibiki 17 in particular, is far superior to the likes of JWB.

Great presentation for the champagne

With my whisky in hand, I went to explore the RED Suite. This was my favourite part of the whole lounge.

The John Lobb shoe shine guy did an amazing job on my boots

A model of a JAL concorde. The RED Suite is Avgeek paradise!

Next time I'm in HND I'll write a TR from this desk

The recreation room.

The champagne room is always stocked with Laurent Perrier; a better champagne than the revolving selection in the main lounge DIY bar.

Fantastic Riedel glassware. What a difference to some of the thick walled basic glasses supplied in other F lounges around the world.

After spending a long while in the RED suite, I made my way back to Main Lounge 2 and indulged in some plane watching with my feet up.

I wasn't the only one watching the planes go by. Apparently on a clear day you can see Mt Fuji from the observation deck. Soon enough it would be me waiting to take off on that runway.

Conclusion

This lounge is all about luxury and quality. Total comfort with zero bling. I absolutely loved the RED suite. One of my other big passions outside of planes is shoes, so having the John Lobb concession there was a real treat!

The lounge has enough varied environments that you really feel like you're on a journey whilst you're there. Your interest is piqued and a childlike urge to explore takes over.

Right now, this is probably my favourite lounge in the world. Is is so much more intimate than the cavernous TG F BKK, CCR, CX F Wing and QR Al Mourjan. It is way more fun than QF F at LAX and resoundingly beats the bland little NH F lounge at NRT and OZ F at ICN. Also, it goes without saying that this wipes the floor with any American legacy carrier's lounge offerings. The only lounge that captures a similar feeling, with a similar eye to design and F&B quality is the VS Clubhouse at LHR T3.

I'd recommend getting to the airport early to experience the JL F lounge at HND in full and plan to do so myself when I'm there in one week's time

Last edited by Jermyn; Oct 10, 2015 at 4:55 am
Old Aug 18, 2015, 4:34 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

After a wonderful time in the F Lounge, it was time to step aboard yet another 12+ hour flight on JL F. Life can be tough sometimes

The feeling of turning left never gets old

JAL JL41
Tokyo Haneda (HND) - London Heathrow (LHR)
Boeing 777-300ER
Seat 2A (3/8)
First Class

I was very warmly welcomed at the door to the plane and escorted to my seat. I chose 2A this time as opposed to 1K on the outbound. Whilst I guess there is a certain amount of cachet from having seat number 1, I prefer having the wall behind me and being able to see the whole cabin, rather than being at the front, near the galley and lavs.

I could immediately tell that this was going to be a good flight. I was served by the cabin supervisor (you can tell them apart from the rest of the crew because they wear badass dove grey uniforms) and she was just 100% on top of her game. I was also one of only 3 pax in the F cabin, this can be a mixed blessing. Sometimes it means the crew have a lot more time to dedicate to the pax that they have, other times it means they put their feet up and relax, given the fact that there are less people to serve.

I had a strong feeling this would be a case of the former, given Japanese standards of professionalism and in particular the finesse with which the CSM went about her job. Lucky for me, I was right

As I took my seat I was brought a refreshing towel and asked if I would like something to drink pre-departure. I asked for champagne. "We have Salon champagne, it's really good. Do you know it?". This kind of pride in the product shone through in every interaction.

There are few sounds in this world as magnificent as the sound of a champagne cork popping. My pavlovian response was instantly triggered, seconds later the CSM emerged from the galley to show me the bottle and effortlessly poured me a glass of its effervescent, straw coloured contents.

The amenity kit ex-Japan was quite different to the green corduroy one on the inbound leg

This amenity kit can be hung in the shower and is definitely more practical than the green kit. However, I don't like the style as much and as is so often the case I prefer good looks to practicality

We begun taxiing on time and unlike NRT, we were in the air very quickly

The views of Mt Fuji, presiding majestically over Tokyo, were absolutely breathtaking.

After a magical few minutes, Mt Fuji disappeared from view and gave way to some more spectacular scenery.

20 minutes into the flight, the crew began the service. I was brought a menu along with an amuse bouche of Mozzarella with Duck ham and Cod brandade with tomato and pine nuts. It was ok but still nowhere near as good as the amazing amuse bouche served on NH F.

I started with the caviar from the Western menu. I was a little worried that this was incorporated into a starter as opposed to being a standard caviar service. I needn't have been. It was obscenely good. (Note the MOP spoon and fork were brought out by themselves, the CSM didn't feel the need to give me a full Western cutlery set just for this starter) ^

The salmon and scallop tartare was magnificently plentiful and utterly delicious. The clean sweetness of the scallops interplayed wonderfully with the rich fatty salmon, the sharpness of lemon and slightly bitter crunch of the radish rounded out the dish perfectly.

Staring forlornly into the middle distance, knowing that it will be a long time until I get a starter this good on a plane again.

The absolutely awesome CSM tops up my glass of Salon after bringing me my next course

Next up was the first course of the Japanese omakase menu. This time I got the full display on a lacquered board, decorated with bamboo and a small Japanese flag. The CSM went into detail describing each of the dishes and then turned to leave. She then quickly turned back around and pointed to the flag, exclaimed "Japan!" and left. Amazing.

Soft boiled egg & Sea urchin

Seared Tofu with Japanese pepper flavoured miso

Egg Cake

Spring Vegetable medley

Steamed Abalone (my favourite)

Next up was the clear soup course

The soup was very delicately flavoured and tasted great.

I mentioned to the CSM how much I liked the cedarwood chopsticks that JL use. She was delighted that I recognised the type of wood and assured me they were some of the best chopsticks available and very expensive!

The seafood course is where things really kicked into high gear

White Asparagus dressed with Prawn broth jelly and Caviar. You can never have too much caviar ^

Beautiful presentation for the Japanese Spiny Lobster and Scallop sashimi

This dish was outrageous, orgasmically good

I asked to try some of the Japanese red wine to accompany the Dainomono (meat course). It was surprisingly good.

The meat course was accompanied by freshly steamed rice with bamboo shoots, miso soup and a selection of Japanese pickles

Unimaginably tender, with a deep and rich savoury flavour. The wagyu beef fillet was beyond reproach.

You could tell the soup was freshly made. All the ingredients had the appropriate consistency as opposed to pre-made soups where everything turns to mush.

Dessert: Yoghurt ice cream with strawberry, Baked Strawberry cheesecake and Ryugin's Signature Roppongi pudding. I like how all the desserts were a riff on the same idea.

This stuff is ludicrously popular. Apparently people queue for hours to get their hands on this. It was really good but I'm glad JL did the queueing for me.

After that absolutely spectacular lunch I began to work on rehydration (the Royal Blue Tea is so good), whilst watching a movie.

I then began to work through the 1000 plus photos I'd taken on this trip, which would eventually make their way into this TR.

With 5 hours to go I asked an FA to make my bed in 2D. I love being able to move back and forth between bed and my seat. For me F is all about freedom, eat when you want sleep when you want. It's all up to you. J gives you added comfort but more often than not, you still very much get the impression of being part of a giant production line.

An interesting thing I noticed: the middle seat was a lot warmer than the window. I switched from the JL PJ top to a regular white t-shirt in order to sleep. If heat bothers you at night (as tends to be the case for most Europeans and Americans) I would suggest taking a window seat. It was only whilst I lay in the middle seat that I understood why people complain about JL's cabin temperature.

My kingdom. The footprint roughly equivalent to 16 seats in economy

Around 3 hours out from LHR I began investigating the menu for some culinary inspiration.

It's tough when you're on your way home from an amazing trip in F. On the one hand you're full from days of overeating. On the other you know you won't have the chance to indulge like this for at least a couple of weeks

My second meal: Another helping of Caviar with Scallop and Salmon sashimi plus an exquisitely presented Foie gras with Quince vinegar and Balsamico coulis. This was served with a warm and crusty Maison Kayser roll.

This was followed by a selection of cheeses of varying strengths and consistencies, each of which was paired with a different garnish. My absolute favourite was the honey with fresh rosemary, used to accompany the blue cheese. The cheeses were paired with a phenomenal 30 year old Graham's Tawny Port.

The finale, a double espresso served with a giant square of Jean Paul Hevin chocolate.

Conclusion

This flight was incredibly different to the experience ex-LAX. Almost every single aspect was better. The HND lounge resoundingly beats QF in LAX. The cabin was less than half full so I had space for a separate bed and seat. The catering out of Japan was also inordinately superior to the ex-LAX catering. Although I still think my experience on NH F ex-NRT last year was superior, this was incredibly close. Ex-LAX the JL offering wasn't much better than BA F.

Finally the service: it was absurdly good. This made the biggest difference of all, the CSM was super engaging and conversational. She had fun looking through pics on my GoPro and was eager to pose for the shot for the TR. She went out of her way to explain all the aspects of the food and drink. I didn't just eat a meal, I came away learning a little more about Japanese culture. In fact, once the meal was finished she came over with a duty free bag and handed it to me. "A gift for you. The cedar chopsticks that you liked. I hope you'll be able to enjoy eating with them at home". I really do. Every time I use them and smell the aroma of the cedarwood, the memories of this fantastic flight come flooding back.

Overall this was one of my favourite trips ever. I tried several new products, visited some of my closest friends in NY and Japan, took K to finally see LA (a place she'd been dreaming of visiting for years) and took a trans-Pacific flight for the first time, crossing the international date line.

With this RTW completed in a single week, I finally felt like a real Flyertalker. This is not the kind of thing that normal people do. Thankfully, we're not normal people

Thank you so much to all of you who've read this far. These trip reports are enormously time consuming but ultimately, massively worthwhile.

Keep sending over the PM's, questions and comments here as well as Instagram. FT is an awesome community and I'm always touched when I hear that somebody has been inspired to visit a particular place after reading my TRs. Likewise I've been hugely inspired by all of you who contribute to this forum.

I'm off on another huge trip next week but will have the beginning of the next TR up by then. It's going to be a good one!

Last edited by Jermyn; Oct 11, 2015 at 9:35 am
Old Aug 18, 2015, 5:03 pm
DTS

Programs: AS 75k, A3 Gold, AC 25k, IHG Plat
Just checked your girl's Instagram, very fancy...and, ok, killer abs.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 5:16 pm

Programs: United Gold (frmer. 1k and GS), AAdvantage Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Gold
Looks like a great trip! What did you think of Hokkaido in the winter? I just returned from Japan (writing my TR now actually) and went to Hokkaido during the summer, which was beautiful. Did you visit Yoichi, Otaru, Sapporo, Jozankei, etc? Interested to see what those places are like in the winter.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 6:19 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Looking forward to the rest. This made me giggle:

agents who sported that truly magical combo of total suggestibility and a deep lack of geographical knowledge.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 6:48 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Yes! Another Jermyn classic in the making.

Glad to hear you're still putting USDM to good use. I briefly became a member in order to make use of another very sweet spot: flying between Australasia and Palau in J for 30K miles round trip. I needed to get back to Australia from NZ, so for about $600 per ticket (utilising one of their frequent 100% bonuses for buying miles) I flew BHE-WLG-AKL-PVG-ICN-ROR//ROR-ICN-SYD in J. A sweet deal made even sweeter by the knowledge that a revenue one way ticket BHE-SYD in Y on AirNZ would have cost $300+. And I remember only too well the complete geographic hopelessness of the USDM agents, bless 'em.

Last edited by mad_atta; Aug 19, 2015 at 9:10 pm
Old Aug 19, 2015, 2:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist
Yes!!! Another fantastic TR is on the way. I cannot wait.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 3:41 pm

Good stuff as always!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.