Community
Wiki Posts
Search

48 hours in NY: Diamond Shopping and lots of drinking

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2015, 4:16 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
Great TR!

SFO would have had a picture of Michelle!
Parterre likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 4:46 pm

Programs: AF Plat, DL Gold
Excellent report! I'm going to have a drink right now to congratulate you on great writing!
Old Jul 1, 2015, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Loving this one. Forget those pics of your friend. Most of us are more interested in Michelle.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 5:35 pm
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
Fantastic and amusing report so far.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SFO777
Most of us are more interested in Michelle.
Seriously... of course the married guy gets the attention. I'm single and never get a bucket of beer and a handwritten card.
Parterre likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 5:15 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
I don't have time to read the TP in full yet, but I skimmed the replies and no-one noticed that the thread title should say "...lots..." instead of "...lot's..". Sorry, it's a pet peeve of mine
Old Jul 2, 2015, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by techie
I don't have time to read the TP in full yet, but I skimmed the replies and no-one noticed that the thread title should say "...lots..." instead of "...lot's..". Sorry, it's a pet peeve of mine
Psssh, we're all too busy F5ing...hoping for pics of Michelle.
Parterre likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 7:47 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Originally Posted by bmrisko
Psssh, we're all too busy F5ing...hoping for pics of Michelle.
Exactly, and unblurred ones at that...
Old Jul 2, 2015, 7:49 am

Well, I'm not waiting for pics of Michelle but I am interested in seeing the rest of the weekend. Great report so far!
Petrus likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Saturday early morning

As usual when traveling several time zones west my body clock refused to adjust the first few days. I mean even having been up 24 hours, going to bed at 6am CET the twitching started at 5am EST. My friend had no such problems and slept without issues. At 7am the sun was up and as promised by the forecasts it was a stunning spring day. 19/69 already at 7 and would peak at 25/77 during the day. ^

Yes, look at that. After 4-5 months of cold and darkness in Sweden, imagine waking up to this visiting your old Home Town which you still think is the greatest place on earth.

The choice was easy. Wait for the other dude to get ready before the day's maiden congratulatory toast, or go for a lovely morning run up to Central Park and stopping by Starbucks for a freshly brewed Pike Place, as we get ready for a long day (which turned out to be possibly the best Saturday ever). Further, me disappearing for an hour so would give us both some "me" time which is always nice.

So off I went up town, flying across the still fairly empty streets of New York this stunning Saturday morning, exchanging peachy glances with the other morning runners who were mostly 30 to 50 something's of the female variety. Sometimes I slowed down, adjusting pace to not miss any inspiring details in the foreground, before gearing up and congratulating myself and the inspiring subject. Around 60th turn west towards the park. Short loop before heading south on 5th, then Madison all the way down to 41st where a Starbucks sits that I have visited frequently over the years (when staying at the Andaz or earlier during school).

Pretty pleased with the pace considering the previous day's copious amounts of food, booze and lack of sleep.

Returning back friend was pleased with seeing my sweaty happy face, bringing a fresh coffee. No sign of Michelle in the lobby unfortunately. My room mate had also managed to nuke the toilet, as per bro-code...
We were on a schedule and needed to be in the district by 10:00am sharp when the Jeweler opened. This due to them being very busy on Saturdays. Brunch would be after business so to speak.

Short walk to 47th street between 5th and 6th avenue. The store we visited I have bought jewelry on an annual basis since 2007, when I lived in NYC. We've got a very good relationship and I send friends their way. Additionally I happen to be a trained Diamond Grader (not my work, but a hobby) so I know my way around this sector.

The primary purpose for traveling 4000 miles or so...

Deals were made, papers signed, greenbacks changed hands and it was mutually agreed a congratulatory toast was most pressing! We headed down south to Soho to one of my favourite brunch places, namely Cafe Select. Their Lobster Bisque and Avocado Sandwich are staples of my NY cuisine. It did not disappoint, neither did the beer (which arrived promptly for a long overdue toast on our excellence and success, pointing out in congratulatory fashion what great deals on Diamonds have been made, and this is turning out to be a legendary Saturday). It was now around 11:30am

Mmmm! Life is fantastic. Male bonding at it's finest.

Any thought of Michelle vanished when two lovely ladies sat down next to us. Accent gave it away; Dutch. We spoke Swedish, which they took interest in as it resembles dutch (well, which language doesn't have parts which sounds like Dutch?!) We started chatting and it was soon established they were fairly new in town, modelling... aaaah, but of course! (face palm). We toasted and congratulated ourselves on the endless successes.

After plenty of small talk, some of it meaningful, and lots of beer, my companion said that his brother also happened to be in town from Sweden with his longtime girlfriend. Dream. Let's hook up at the next bar.
Apparently they wished to have late Lunch at Balthazar (A NY Soho institution for those who don't know, and a superb place)... I explained that walking in a group of four early afternoon to get a table, you might as well play the lottery. But, we can always start at the bar and hopefully a few stools become available.

So around 2pm we all met outside Balthazar, and headed in for even more beer, Onion Soup and a few congratulatory toasts. Fantastic. To make this day more perfect my companions brother suggested we drop by the flat they stayed at on 32nd street, before heading to the Rangers game at 8pm. It would be a 10 minute walk to MSG from there. He claimed it had the nicest balcony he's ever seen. High up on the 40th floor something next to Empire State Building. Ok, that sounds like an excellent idea.
On beer number 6 or 7 of the day in the bar at Balthazar it was decided to head west and slightly north to meet up with the friends from last night. There is a lovely little place in Chelsea Market called Cull&Pistol. Amazing oysters. So we met there just after 4pm. Lovely. More toasting.

It was splendid. We were running out of superlatives. Everything this day was pure awesome and bromance.

Chelsea on a busy afternoon. Happily day drunk.

Back to the hotel to pick up tickets and polish our appearance and drink of the beers from Michelle (congratulating ourselves obviously), before heading south a few blocks to verify the claims of the nice balcony. Around 6:30 pm we arrived at said address. Things seemed promising. Doorman confirmed the name and told us to press 45, which was the top floor. OK, this is excellent. Nice 1br apartment, with epic views and a large literally fantastic balcony. As seen by the photos below, this was truly awesome. 25 degrees, sun setting over The Garden State, Vodka on the rocks, great company, best vibe. We really deserved to congratulate ourselves on our success at this stage. The woman staying in the flat was a close friend of my companions brothers girlfriend (just so you understand the connection).

In short, we had such a good time we seriously considered skipping the game altogether and just stay there until late and join them at the club at midnight. But, the tickets cost us 300USD each and it would be a shame missing a Play-off game. In the end we chalked it down to just being one of those brilliant days that will never fade from memory.

From the balcony, view towards Southwest.

Yeah, a great day!

Totally bro. I hear you.

Reluctantly we said our goodbyes just before 8pm and headed for our next stop; MSG and the New York Rangers against Cindy Crosby and The Penguins. But we also very much looked forward to this!

Coming up next...

Thanks for looking and all the very kind feedback.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 11:04 am

Great follow-up...(and nice IWC)!

Also, good call on Balthazar...I was just there a couple months ago. The French Onion soup is by far one of the best renditions I have ever had. Fantastic frites as well!

Last edited by bmrisko; Jul 2, 2015 at 11:18 am
Old Jul 2, 2015, 1:05 pm

Programs: AFKL PLT, BA Gold, SK Gold, AY Gold, A3 Silver, LH FTL, IHG Gold, Marriott Silver
Congratulations, this report is just brilliant!
Old Jul 2, 2015, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Petrus
Any thought of Michelle vanished when two lovely ladies sat down next to us. Accent gave it away; Dutch. We spoke Swedish, which they took interest in as it resembles dutch (well, which language doesn't have parts which sounds like Dutch?!) We started chatting and it was soon established they were fairly new in town, modelling... aaaah, but of course! (face palm). We toasted and congratulated ourselves on the endless successes.
Once again no pics. Very disappointing Petrus.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
I hope you're not trying to get a Mod into trouble SFO777
Old Jul 4, 2015, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bmrisko
Great follow-up...(and nice IWC)!

Also, good call on Balthazar...I was just there a couple months ago. The French Onion soup is by far one of the best renditions I have ever had. Fantastic frites as well!
Agreed, on both points And well spotted re the IWC.

Originally Posted by DALtoAAL
Congratulations, this report is just brilliant!
Cheers!

I'll get in trouble

Originally Posted by stu1985
I hope you're not trying to get a Mod into trouble SFO777
Exactly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.