FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by offerendum
The reason you travel F
Ha. Thanks offerendum.

Originally Posted by Andriyko
Wonderful wonderful wonderful report SFO777! And fantastic pictures^
And seriously - you have to adopt me or marry me or something or nothing...but I want to be on your next trip...
LOL. Thank you Andriyko but one wife is (more than) enough.

Originally Posted by LANDJ999
Is Antinori wine one of your favorites, or suggested by the Restaurant? It's one of ours. Their Florence restaurant is great too.
Indeed, we enjoy almost everything Antinori. Didn't know about the restaurant. Next time.

Originally Posted by Volholic16
Great report as usual. My wife and I were in Italy exactly this time last year, so I've thoroughly enjoyed your photos thus far. I know my wife will be interested to know about the outlet mall. Florence/Tuscany was our favorite part of the trip. Can't wait to go back.
Thanks very much Volholic. I really appreciate it.

Originally Posted by agp423
Did you try one of those highlighter-colored suits? TF has some suits in serious colors and fabrics, but you will rarely see those at the outlet. The outlet is mainly for things people didn't want to pay full price for. If money is no concern, I think most people would prefer TF's plain navy/gray/black suits rather than a pink one.
Hey, what's wrong with pink suit?

Originally Posted by Digital01
All'Antico Vinaio, great bread, meats and accompaniments. They actually have a sister shop across the street, which sells the same things but seemed to be less known, and less busy, which we preferred. They also made us a meat and cheese platter, and made sure we poured the self serve wine to the brim of the glass! Definitely worth a visit, the workers were great.
Thanks Digital01. Staff was excellent, friendly and funny. The day we were there, the line was actually shorter on the original shop side. I counted three in total, two panini shops and a more formal sit down restaurant. I'd say they've got a good thing going.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

After a lazy Saturday morning at the hotel, we checked out around 11AM and Stefano was waiting to take us on a day tour to Chianti before dropping us off back at the airport this afternoon. Less than 30 minutes later, we were in beautiful Chianti wine country.

Our destination this morning was the medieval town of San Gimignano, which was a seat of power some 1,000 years ago. Today only 13 towers remain of the 72 towers of the fourteenth century, when every well off family built a tower to show its power. Stefano said it was the "Manhattan of Italy" back then.

Yet another yummy cappuccino.

More Chianti wine country scenes on our way to lunch...

...at nearby Tenuta Torciano, where we were met by the personable 3rd generation owner Pierluigi who was our host today for a wonderful over the top 10 wine, olive and truffle oil tasting.

We were invited to share lunch with a lovely couple from Baton Rouge. They were celebrating their 35th wedding anniversary.
With the wine flowing, we made new BFFs and promised to meet next for home cooked Cajun food in Louisiana.

Pierluigi working the crowd.

OK, it's a little corny and contrived, but the wine was excellent and Pierluigi has this gig down to a science.
He has a warehouse in Chicago which stocks and ships his wines to anywhere in the US, except Utah.

He also takes his "show" on the road all over the world in the winter and will do a wine tasting meal at your home anywhere. He charges nothing but clearly with all your friends and guests pretty much sauced, he makes a profit on every tasting by successfully pitching and selling his wine. Did I mention that he has a warehouse in Chicago? His Tenuta Torciano blog has more info.

For more pics and an HD version of this report, please visit SFO777.com.

Up next: The long trek home and a surly Lufthansa limo driver that needs a lesson in customer service.

Last edited by SFO777; Apr 25, 2015 at 9:59 am
Old Apr 25, 2015, 11:00 am

Was that Ribolita? Yum. Great shots. I don't know how you do it. But the Mrs. SFO is clearly the star of the show.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 12:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
Awesome trip report.

Reminds me of my trip to Italy (with a day and half in Florence as I chose to spend a day in San Marino) although my trip was much more budget focused. I did "splurge" and get the First Class on the train though. To this day I still miss the coffee they served...

Thanks for the warning about the outlets. If I ever have a S/O, I'll be forewarned to come up with an excuse that the place it haunted with dead husbands who died after seeing the final shopping bill
Old Apr 25, 2015, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, UC, Lifetime HH Diamond, Avis President’s Club
When I read your title I was sure you were headed back to Castiglione del Bosco.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 8:42 am

How did you find Stefano? From the hotel or Tripadvisor / friend?

I am scared to drive. It's a great idea to pay more and get a guide.

A brilliant idea to also have gone shopping now in Italy with the lower Euro and in the spring.

There was an article that the French designer stores in Paris are going to raise their prices. Their US shops are losing business because so many Americans etc are hopping to Paris to buy at much lower prices than in the US which kept the exchange rate at 1.40 + as you mention.

As to the restaurants in Italy, in Sardinia and Sicily they were not so great. Surprisingly I have had better meals in the US.

And 10 years ago I went to a fantastic Italian restaurant in Denver. Cheap and out of this world. I never forgot.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
"After I foolishly suggested that she should be buying Italian clothes in Europe and not the US"

Famous last words.

Great report as always. Looking forward to the rest.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

After lunch, we headed for the airport and arrived about 90 minutes before departure. I had OLCI'd so need to check in here.

We headed to the Sala Masaccio, the contract lounge for all airlines that serve FLR.

Looks pretty much like it did on our last visit a couple of years ago.

The carb counter.

At around T-45, we headed thru security and downstairs to the "gate". Nothing but bus gates here even though the planes are right outside.

Florence-Frankfurt
Lufthansa CityLink 315
E95
6:05P-7:45P
April 18, 2015
Seats 1D and 2C

Ugly boarding process. The good news is the priority boarding call. The bad news is we all get stuffed into the same bus, that sits for 10 minutes before it moves and we drive all of 100 feet. Jeez.

I wasn't really hungry but took one for the photo op.

Uh, I don't think so.

Even after a bite, no idea what this was.

Another mystery dessert.

A short 60 minutes later and we were on our approach to FRA.

And to our remote apron position, a much closer-to-the-terminal that our outbound. Ah yes, I see a Porsche Cayenne S just peeking out from behind the mobile stairs. As connecting F pax, we almost always get car service from a non-gate position. But since this was an overnight connection, I wasn't sure.

We were the 2nd and 3rd off and I approached the driver who was holding the usual FIRST/HON sign and told him "First Class". He asked our name, either didn't have it on his list or didn't care and responded "No". I repeated that we were First Class pax. He pointed at our Embraer and said "There's no First Class on that plane". Seriously?? A real comedian. I told him we were connecting to First Class. "Where?" Denver. He shook his head, pointed to the bus and said "Bus". My "we typically get limo service as connecting First Class passengers" was met with silence and he walked away. The strange thing was that he never picked up anyone. Went on board and came back with no one.

Mr. Warmth.

The bus ride was short and we were in a taxi a few minutes later. Rather than another airport hotel, I booked us the Villa Kennedy.
Great Virtuoso rate: upgrade, breakfast and an €85 euro food credit for €245.

Our room.

With a nice courtyard view, which apparently was our upgrade.

We headed downstairs to use up our €85 food credit.

We split linguine vongole and Weiner Schnitzel. The vongole was terrible.

But the schniztel was very good. OMG, glad we only split and didn't each get our own.

Relaxing in the room after dinner, Mrs. SFO made the mistake of turning on German TV. What the heck???

Had no idea who he/she was until Mrs. SFO opened the LH inflight Media magazine to see a story about bearded drag queen Conchita Wurst, winner of the 2014 Eurovision Song Contest. OK, quickly veering into T.M.I. territory.

Exploring this very nice hotel on Sunday morning.

We passed on our free breakfast and around 10:30A, decided to grab a taxi and head for the First Class Terminal.

Last edited by SFO777; Apr 30, 2015 at 10:04 pm
Old Apr 26, 2015, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LANDJ999
Was that Ribolita? Yum. Great shots. I don't know how you do it. But the Mrs. SFO is clearly the star of the show.
Thank you LANDJ999. She is also the star in my book as well.
Ribolita indeed.

Originally Posted by iceblueshoes
Awesome trip report.
Reminds me of my trip to Italy (with a day and half in Florence as I chose to spend a day in San Marino) although my trip was much more budget focused. I did "splurge" and get the First Class on the train though. To this day I still miss the coffee they served...
Thanks for the warning about the outlets. If I ever have a S/O, I'll be forewarned to come up with an excuse that the place it haunted with dead husbands who died after seeing the final shopping bill
Thanks very much iceblueshoes. If you ever have a S/O, might I suggest avoiding Florence or Milan.

Originally Posted by glasman19
When I read your title I was sure you were headed back to Castiglione del Bosco.
Ha. Thanks glasman19. What a great memory! Would love to go back but from a shopper's perspective, it's in the middle of nowhere.

Originally Posted by Bretteee
How did you find Stefano? From the hotel or Tripadvisor / friend?
I am scared to drive. It's a great idea to pay more and get a guide.
A brilliant idea to also have gone shopping now in Italy with the lower Euro and in the spring.
There was an article that the French designer stores in Paris are going to raise their prices. Their US shops are losing business because so many Americans etc are hopping to Paris to buy at much lower prices than in the US which kept the exchange rate at 1.40 + as you mention.
Thank you Bretteee. We found Stefano thru the hotel when we ordered our tours. Indeed, an interesting article in the WSJ.

Originally Posted by UAL250
"After I foolishly suggested that she should be buying Italian clothes in Europe and not the US"
Famous last words.
Great report as always. Looking forward to the rest.
Thanks so much UAL250.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat
I feel like you've had patch of bad luck on F flights recently, between this guy in what was likely the Porsche to pick you up, the guy on his phone in Emirates F, etc. Hope your journey across the pond was better!
Old Apr 26, 2015, 3:43 pm

Excellent as usual.
I really enjoy the narrative, it's my favourite part!

The limo driver for LH sounds atypical - did you have a chance to enquire?
Old Apr 26, 2015, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Really great trip report!

Your hotel suite in Florence seems quite beautiful, except for that bed, that looks small and uncomfortable, and that TV stuck on that small night stand is quite tacky!
Old Apr 26, 2015, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Mrs SFO took a nap? She was just there for a weekend and she snoozed through shopping time!

I've said it before.. I'm happy to trade places with Mrs SFO so I too can go shopping in Italy. I'm very jealous of her! She can come to Australia and go on a holiday with my husband.

I loved the hotel.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 4:29 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Really terrible that you didn't get a Porsche ride to the terminal, or more accurately the driver refusing to take you. I think you should write a complaint to Lufthansa. Also is it possible to access the FCL the day before e.g if you have an overnight connection, or is it only for same-day departures and arrivals?
Old Apr 27, 2015, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Didnīt visit the lounge in Florence as I didnīt realize, that itīs outside security But didnīt miss much

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.