Our Shop 'til you drop weekend in Florence via Lufthansa First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Our Shop 'til you drop weekend in Florence via Lufthansa First Class

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: A bit of this and a bit of that
Excellent trip report! I hope the champagne change and (bad) service you experienced might be because of the upcoming 2-class downgrade on that route, and not something that will be applying to every route. LH has one of, if not THE best First class product in my opinion. Do you collect miles in United? You should start collecting them in LH and become a HON Circle member :P! I bet that would be a very fun and enjoyable goal.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 11:22 am

I'm in Paris at the Le Comptoir and still envious. The UAL flight was horrible. So you got the 1st class without all the blue and white cushions? Didn't think Denver got the new one.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 9:31 am

I went to Florence in 1972 in July.

It was so unbearably hot, I left after 1 hour.

I want to visit Tuscany. Now looks wonderful weather wise.

Interesting that F upstairs on LH is pleasant.

Years ago I flew on Swissair in Y upstairs. It was very claustrophobic. And they would not allow me to take a walk down through Y because the F was downstairs below us.

I was trapped upstairs.

In those days there was no C.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:02 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Hoping you're going to tell us you ate at the Borgo San Jacopo. Idyllic setting on the river near the Ponte Vecchio.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 12:59 pm

Great report and great photos, but I have to say that, in my opinion, no food-related item should ever be advertised as "lukewarm."
Old Apr 22, 2015, 1:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Bentornato in Italia SFO777!

Hope you enjoy your visit to our magnificent Florence.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ysolde
I am loving this TR!!!
We will be in Florence this summer (first time for me, so I am very excited to see the art, architecture, the "usual" stuff). Completely non-self-serving question here -- where is The Mall? It seems most of the museums and the like are closed on Mondays, and one of our days there is a Monday. Can't let a day (or perhaps an afternoon) go to waste, now can we? That would be all kinds of wrong.
Thank you ysolde. The Mall is about 30 minutes southeast of the city and is open 7 days a week. Perfect for a Monday.

Originally Posted by tuchop
Excellent trip report! I hope the champagne change and (bad) service you experienced might be because of the upcoming 2-class downgrade on that route, and not something that will be applying to every route. LH has one of, if not THE best First class product in my opinion. Do you collect miles in United? You should start collecting them in LH and become a HON Circle member :P! I bet that would be a very fun and enjoyable goal.
Thanks tuchop. Looks like the champagne is indeed a universal downgrade. I used Aeroplan for DEN-FRA and Miles&More for the return since I didn't think there would be any space left for S* partners on the day we wanted to return.

Originally Posted by LANDJ999
I'm in Paris at the Le Comptoir and still envious. The UAL flight was horrible. So you got the 1st class without all the blue and white cushions? Didn't think Denver got the new one.
Enjoy Paris LANDJ999. Sorry you had to suffer with UA. The old blue seats/planes not longer are used for 3 class flights. Unfortunately, it looks like DEN First Class is gone for good as the winter schedule is just two classes.

Originally Posted by Bretteee
I went to Florence in 1972 in July.
It was so unbearably hot, I left after 1 hour.
I want to visit Tuscany. Now looks wonderful weather wise.
Interesting that F upstairs on LH is pleasant.
Years ago I flew on Swissair in Y upstairs. It was very claustrophobic. And they would not allow me to take a walk down through Y because the F was downstairs below us. I was trapped upstairs. In those days there was no C.
OMG, summer in Florence would be unbearably hot and humid. April/May or September/October would be the best times. Thanks Bretteee.

Originally Posted by 1P
Hoping you're going to tell us you ate at the Borgo San Jacopo. Idyllic setting on the river near the Ponte Vecchio.
Now you tell me. Unfortunately, we didn't eat there. Thanks 1P.

Originally Posted by Darren
Great report and great photos, but I have to say that, in my opinion, no food-related item should ever be advertised as "lukewarm."
LOL. Agree on the "lukewarm" description. Very strange. Hopefully, it's just suffered in the translation. Thank you Darren.

Originally Posted by themapelligroup
Bentornato in Italia SFO777!
Hope you enjoy your visit to our magnificent Florence.
Grazie mille themapelligroup. We really enjoyed our quick visit to Firenze.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Our wonderful driver Stefano picked us up at 9:30AM and 40 minutes later we were in the Tuscan countryside at an outlet center like no other I have seen.
The Mall is home to outlets of the most exclusive designers in the world.

Our home for the next three hours...

And finally, Loro Piana, the store that strikes fear into the hearts of most men. We spent an hour here and got some great "bargains". Of course, everything is relative. Then another 45 minutes at Ermenegilda Zegna where Mrs. SFO insisted that I buy stuff I don't really need "at great prices".

And the Gucci store that started the invasion of the outlet stores to this part of the country.

Stefano drove us back to Florence and dropped us off at La Giostra, which both he and one of Denver friends recommended. Great atmosphere but so-so food.

After lunch, we explored and walked towards Via di Tournabuoni, Florence's main designer shopping street.

And naturally to Loro Piana...

... to try on items from the wish list and discuss the significant savings from buying in Italy and shipping merchandise back home. Suffice it to say, Mrs. SFO will never again buy large ticket designer items in the US where US stores want you to believe that the Euro is still worth $1.40.

A stop at both Ferragamo and Zegna and then back across the Ponte Santa Trinita.

Past a restaurant on the Arno we remembered eating at more than 10 years ago, although it was a different name back then.

Naturally, we decided to go back for dinner since we had fond memories. Still excellent food and great service.

Up next: The Uffizi, more Firenze shopping and the best meal of the trip.

For more pics and an HD version of this report, please visit SFO777.com.

Last edited by SFO777; Apr 22, 2015 at 4:26 pm
Old Apr 22, 2015, 2:33 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by SFO777
The Mall is home to outlets of the most exclusive designers in the world.

I thought Tom Ford and I had something special going when he opened the only TF outlet at Woodbury... I guess that's no longer the case
Old Apr 22, 2015, 3:36 pm

Just wait until the credit card bills come in...oy vey! Question: what about duty that has to be paid when shipped to US? Just curious.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 3:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat.
Originally Posted by happymom2008
Just wait until the credit card bills come in...oy vey! Question: what about duty that has to be paid when shipped to US? Just curious.
Probably very little. As the various trip reports SFO777 has presented have historically indicated, Mrs SFO777 is clearly a very discerning shopper and photos of her trying on such fabulous vestments as Piana jackets are merely designed to give us less fortunate folk a local flavor of what it is like to shop in Florence. Accordingly, a couple of Zegna and Piana knick-knacks no doubt come way under dutiable ceilings.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Darren
I thought the same thing.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 4:12 pm

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Originally Posted by SFO777
And finally, Loro Piana, the store that strikes fear into the hearts of most men.
That's the quote of the month, so true!
Great TR SFO777, but I shouldn't have shown it to Mrs. JohnRain, guess where we're going next...

The lovely landscape, the food, the narrow streets, the culture, the history, Italy really is a country one cannot visit often enough.
Thanks for posting the impressions of another wonderful trip.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA PLT, NEXUS/GE
You should've checked out the original Panerai store next to the Duomo. I was there in July and unfortunately they were closed for renovations - sensing my disappointment, the Panerai rep who was standing by the door sent me to their other store at the FS in a chauffeured S550 compliments of Panerai and I got to check out their amazing gardens. Fun stuff!
Old Apr 23, 2015, 4:57 am

Another great TR, SFO777. I especially love all the delectable and exquisite food you got to appreciate, looks like you definitely got your euro's worth!

Italy is one of those countries I would really love to see more of. Enjoying your TR will have to suffice until then though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.