Reload this Page >

Our Shop 'til you drop weekend in Florence via Lufthansa First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Our Shop 'til you drop weekend in Florence via Lufthansa First Class

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2015, 6:42 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I have often wondered about that particular factory outlet, having driven by it on the Florence - Rome highway several times.

Were the prices indeed substantially cheaper? Or where they the usual American styled 20% discount of market sticker?

I am also saddened by the loss of the First Class Cabin to my local Vancouver market. I share your pain.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 7:23 am

Programs: AA Plat
A great report as always! Making me envious as usual. We were there almost exactly a year ago (thanks to your help with booking LH F ORD-FRA ) and had a great time. I had been a little under a decade before and enjoyed it a lot more the second time.

As always look forward to the rest!
Old Apr 23, 2015, 7:43 am

Via di Tournabuoni, ah, the street where my wife first tried Lardo....... Without knowing it,
And the look on her face when I told her what it was . Thanks for the memories.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by happymom2008
Just wait until the credit card bills come in...oy vey! Question: what about duty that has to be paid when shipped to US? Just curious.
Ha! Not quite sure about the duty if any when shipping. Google search shows "Clothes from Italy" at 5.7% but we only pay 3% when we exceed our $1,600 allowance on arrival, although more often than not CBP agents just wave us through if it's only a few thousand over.

Originally Posted by Purim
Probably very little. As the various trip reports SFO777 has presented have historically indicated, Mrs SFO777 is clearly a very discerning shopper and photos of her trying on such fabulous vestments as Piana jackets are merely designed to give us less fortunate folk a local flavor of what it is like to shop in Florence. Accordingly, a couple of Zegna and Piana knick-knacks no doubt come way under dutiable ceilings.
Thank you Purim. We actually bought 15 items this trip, about $3,700 net after VAT refund. That is what I declared. But we arrived home Sunday afternoon and I noticed that the customs cashier's office was closed. Nice agent asked us how much duty we thought we owed ($60-$70) then again waved us through with a pleasant "welcome home".

What was even more amazing is that we were able to pack our entire haul (a pair of shoes and 14 shirts/sweaters) into our carry-ons.

Originally Posted by wrp96
I thought the same thing.
Yeah, that "lukewarm" description has to go.

Originally Posted by JohnRain
That's the quote of the month, so true!
Great TR SFO777, but I shouldn't have shown it to Mrs. JohnRain, guess where we're going next...
The lovely landscape, the food, the narrow streets, the culture, the history, Italy really is a country one cannot visit often enough. Thanks for posting the impressions of another wonderful trip.
Thanks so much JohnRain. Yeah, you are in big trouble now.
Have a great trip. Maybe you can even find an empty leg.

Originally Posted by 514
You should've checked out the original Panerai store next to the Duomo. I was there in July and unfortunately they were closed for renovations - sensing my disappointment, the Panerai rep who was standing by the door sent me to their other store at the FS in a chauffeured S550 compliments of Panerai and I got to check out their amazing gardens. Fun stuff!
Didn't have a chance this time.

Originally Posted by DanielW
Another great TR, SFO777. I especially love all the delectable and exquisite food you got to appreciate, looks like you definitely got your euro's worth! Italy is one of those countries I would really love to see more of. Enjoying your TR will have to suffice until then though.
Thanks very much DanielW. I don't know if you'd enjoy Italy. It's certainly no Chad or Senegal.

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
I have often wondered about that particular factory outlet, having driven by it on the Florence - Rome highway several times.
Were the prices indeed substantially cheaper? Or where they the usual American styled 20% discount of market sticker?
I am also saddened by the loss of the First Class Cabin to my local Vancouver market. I share your pain.
Prices seemed to be marked 35% off Italian retail price. Most stores show both prices. With the excessive US markups, prices are 50-70% off US prices, although most of the merchandise is "last season". Still great deals if you find something you like. Yeah, RIP LH First. Sad to see it go. Thanks worldtraveller73.

Originally Posted by Digital01
A great report as always! Making me envious as usual. We were there almost exactly a year ago (thanks to your help with booking LH F ORD-FRA ) and had a great time. I had been a little under a decade before and enjoyed it a lot more the second time.
As always look forward to the rest!
Thank you Digital01. I appreciate it.

Originally Posted by LANDJ999
Via di Tournabuoni, ah, the street where my wife first tried Lardo....... Without knowing it, And the look on her face when I told her what it was . Thanks for the memories.
Thanks LANDJ999.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:05 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, IHG Diamond
I made the mistake of telling Mrs. LR2013 about the outlets. Unfortunately, in a wild imagination-stretching idea I never would have thought of, it somehow occurred to her that there may be jewelry outlets in Italy. Lo and behold, she managed to find a favorite, the Bulgari outlet near Milan at Serravalle. She'd like to thank Mrs. SFO777 for the inspiration.

On a more budget-friendly topic, I am looking forward to the best meal part. We had a short stay in Florence a couple of years ago and only came across mediocre food.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by agp423
I thought Tom Ford and I had something special going when he opened the only TF outlet at Woodbury... I guess that's no longer the case
My wife and I were there this past September. I wanted to try on some of his clothing just for pictures. Way over the top flamboyant for me at that store.

Side note - Snagged a great pair of Alfred Dunhill dress shoes for half off while there.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Friday morning we are off to the Uffizi Gallery. With an 11:45A reservation, we passed the time by exploring more of Florence. The walk from our hotel to the Ponte Vecchio.

Past the beautiful Hotel Lungarno, close to the Ponte Vecchio. Looked really nice. We may stay here next time.

Ponte Vecchio.

And the nearby Uffizi.

Since we 45 minutes early for our reservation time, we headed over to the Piazza della Signoria for a cappuccino.

Nice café where we struck up a conversation with a personable local high end leather merchant whose family has been in the business for years and spends the winter in Palm Beach. He also recommended tonight's restaurant. ^

We headed back to Uffizi, door #1 to pick up our preserved tickets.

Then back to door #3 to wait to enter one of the most crowded and miserable museum experiences in a long time. As a result, we tended to avoid many of the rooms with the most significant collections.

Yikes, get me outta here.

After about 45 minutes, we'd had enough and left to have lunch at nearby All'Antico Vinaio, a great panini shop rated the #1 restaurant in Florence by tripadvisor.

After lunch, we started walking towards the Duomo.

And we entertained by a loud shouting match between these two. No idea what they were yelling at each other, but the only thing missing was fisticuffs.

And The Duomo, or Cattedrale di Santa Maria del Fiore.

Another cappuccino...

... at Piazza della Republica.

And finally back to another 3 hours of shopping. Oh, woe is me.

To Prada, our home the next hour where Mrs. SFO bought a pair of shoes at roughly 40% off the US retail price.

A couple more stores before we spent 45 minutes at ETRO where I bought 6 shirts at nearly 60% off the US retail price.
The scary part was that even I was getting into this.
Then back towards the Arno.

Heading to the Westin Excelsior for a drink at the rooftop bar.

More great views of Florence.

And finally our walk back to our hotel.

And the carnage from our two days of shopping.

Last edited by SFO777; Apr 23, 2015 at 8:57 pm
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Based on the recommendation of our new friend, we are off back across the Ponte alla Carraia to wonderful Trattoria Gargani. Great atmosphere and even better food.

Up next: Chianti, San Gimignano and the most wine glasses I've seen at lunch.

For more pics and an HD version of this report, please visit SFO777.com.

Last edited by SFO777; Apr 23, 2015 at 10:07 pm
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LR2013
I made the mistake of telling Mrs. LR2013 about the outlets. Unfortunately, in a wild imagination-stretching idea I never would have thought of, it somehow occurred to her that there may be jewelry outlets in Italy. Lo and behold, she managed to find a favorite, the Bulgari outlet near Milan at Serravalle. She'd like to thank Mrs. SFO777 for the inspiration.
On a more budget-friendly topic, I am looking forward to the best meal part. We had a short stay in Florence a couple of years ago and only came across mediocre food.
Tell Mrs. LR2013 she's very welcome. I think. Thank goodness Mrs. SFO didn't think about jewelry outlet stores.

Originally Posted by DetailsIM
My wife and I were there this past September. I wanted to try on some of his clothing just for pictures. Way over the top flamboyant for me at that store. Side note - Snagged a great pair of Alfred Dunhill dress shoes for half off while there.
Thanks DetailsIM. There are some great bargains these days for US shoppers.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by SFO777
The reason you travel F
Old Apr 24, 2015, 4:08 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Wonderful wonderful wonderful report SFO777! And fantastic pictures^
And seriously - you have to adopt me or marry me or something or nothing...but I want to be on your next trip...
Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:53 am

Is Antinori wine one of your favorites, or suggested by the Restaurant?
It's one of ours. Their Florence restaurant is great too.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 6:57 am

Great report as usual. My wife and I were in Italy exactly this time last year, so I've thoroughly enjoyed your photos thus far. I know my wife will be interested to know about the outlet mall.

Florence/Tuscany was our favorite part of the trip. Can't wait to go back.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 7:04 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by DetailsIM
My wife and I were there this past September. I wanted to try on some of his clothing just for pictures. Way over the top flamboyant for me at that store.

Side note - Snagged a great pair of Alfred Dunhill dress shoes for half off while there.
Did you try one of those highlighter-colored suits? TF has some suits in serious colors and fabrics, but you will rarely see those at the outlet. The outlet is mainly for things people didn't want to pay full price for. If money is no concern, I think most people would prefer TF's plain navy/gray/black suits rather than a pink one.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 7:54 am

Programs: AA Plat
All'Antico Vinaio, great bread, meats and accompaniments. They actually have a sister shop across the street, which sells the same things but seemed to be less known, and less busy, which we preferred. They also made us a meat and cheese platter, and made sure we poured the self serve wine to the brim of the glass! Definitely worth a visit, the workers were great.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.