Search

Christmas In Mogadishu

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2015, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by DanielW
At least 15 people were killed, including the owner, Mr. Dhagabadan who I got to briefly meet and shake hands with when I first arrived. My tour guide, Jibril, luckily survived and is now in hospital.
It Shows how real the danger is - really a shame
Old Nov 9, 2015, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by offerendum
Aye indeed
Old Nov 9, 2015, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
How tragic, and so very personal for you.
Yes, not good. Apparently a lot of guards got killed too in the gun battle afterwards.

Originally Posted by offerendum
Originally Posted by Calchas
Aye indeed
Yes, the AU wants to start pulling out troops by the end of next year, but can't see that happening.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 6:36 am

Programs: Meh
You see I read your report with great interest but with a little trepidation. The necessity of having 5 heavily armed guards is just going beyond the acceptable line for me - obvious thing to say of course. The best part of that trip for me would have been getting back on the plane to Dubai with a feeling of 'I made it'. I do not think I would have enjoyed the travel experience at the time.

It is all brought into focus with the recent attack on the hotel.

Very sad.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stevie
You see I read your report with great interest but with a little trepidation. The necessity of having 5 heavily armed guards is just going beyond the acceptable line for me - obvious thing to say of course. The best part of that trip for me would have been getting back on the plane to Dubai with a feeling of 'I made it'. I do not think I would have enjoyed the travel experience at the time.

It is all brought into focus with the recent attack on the hotel.

Very sad.
Yes, definitely wasn't a trip for everyone. I really enjoyed it though, despite (or maybe because of) the danger. Easily in my top 5 trips that I have done. An opportunity to see and experience a very interesting place that you unfortunately only hear about when things go wrong. And I made sure to only tell my family about it all when I was safely back home.
Jaimito Cartero likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 5:53 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by DanielW
Yes, definitely wasn't a trip for everyone. I really enjoyed it though, despite (or maybe because of) the danger. Easily in my top 5 trips that I have done. An opportunity to see and experience a very interesting place that you unfortunately only hear about when things go wrong. And I made sure to only tell my family about it all when I was safely back home.
Indeed a true adventure, and very refreshing to read a TR not involving private jets and First Class!
i_travel_for_work likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 3:58 pm
Suspended

wow! What a trip! did you at any time feel unsafe? and how did you arrange for your guide?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.