Reload this Page >

Christmas In Mogadishu

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Christmas In Mogadishu

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2014, 5:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Elite Platinum
Loved the trip report. Fascinating. And I'm glad I'm not the only one here with these thoughts: I don't know if I want to go there even with 50 body guards. Thanks again for the wonderful pictures and insight.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 5:53 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Nice report and some great photographs, as always.

I concur that the camel milk is tasty. I was able to try some at Qsar Al Sarab in the United Arab Emirates. It is supposed to have excellent nutritional qualities. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any back in Vancouver, BC.

I found it interesting that the guards wore military fatigues. I would have thought that the private security would have been less overt, and consequently safer for the VIP, if they were in plainclothes. May I ask how you arranged their services for the benefit of others considering a tried and tested resource here?
Old Dec 31, 2014, 7:15 pm

Programs: Virtuoso
Amazing report! You long ago became my favorite trip report writer to follow. You venture into areas I will likely never be, so I feel like I get a slice of what life really is like those locations. Thank you for taking the time to share!
Old Dec 31, 2014, 8:52 pm

great

Originally Posted by Travel K
Amazing report! You long ago became my favorite trip report writer to follow. You venture into areas I will likely never be, so I feel like I get a slice of what life really is like those locations. Thank you for taking the time to share!
This was exactly my thoughts!!!!! Most people would not dare to go those places he visited .... yet he managed it, most of all he is so thoughtful, cares the other cultures and their causes, that's most important.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
That was an amazing TR. Very enlightening. Thanks for the wonderful photos and time sharing.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FallenPlat
Wow.

I've simply never heard of being a "tourist" in a situation that required evasive maneuvers on arrival, a gun-toting security entourage of five on the ground, and one or more bribes on departure. I'm the kind of guy who thought the bombed-out and bullet-marked buildings of Iron-Curtain Berlin were completely jaw-dropping -- but this beats all.
Many thanks, FallenPlat. Yes, definitely high on my scale in terms of 'adventure' of my trips so far.

Originally Posted by flyr16
Outstanding report; you really do get places most of us will never visit. Thanks for posting.

Great foto of the basket of tomatoes and the woman vendor, terrific framing and color.
Thanks, flyr16. The lady with the tomatoes was waving her hands about quite abit while talking to my guide, so made the shot abit more animated and interesting.

Originally Posted by Gnopps
Great report and photos, thanks!
Cheers, Gnopps.

Originally Posted by halfcape
Wow, yikes, these are just two of the words that come to mind in reading your report. Thank you so much for sharing you experiences through words and photos. Amazing.
Thanks you, halfcape, I knew this trip beforehand would be interesting, but definitely exceeded my expectations.

Originally Posted by Fredrik74
Mogadishu? You're a lot braver than I am that's for sure.

Thanks for the report with your usual quality of photos.
Cheers, Fredrik74, having all those guys looking after me was quite reassuring despite the apparent risks.

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Very cool report Daniel. When I lived in Canada, we had a very good family friend who emigrated from Somalia after the war. He had many scars from injuries suffered there, so he rarely talked about home. I don't know anybody who has ever visited there, so it's fascinating to see the photos.

Out of curiosity, how did you manage to find your guide and small army of guards? Also from the picture of cash seems like what I'd call a reasonable fee for a driver, guide, and armed guards.
Thank you, krazykanuck. I literally just googled 'visit mogadishu' and clicked on one of the links. A person on the LP forums was also organising a trip with the same company and went 2 weeks before me and had no problems, so I was satisfied they were legit before I hopped on the plane.

The trip wasn't cheap, probably more than my recent 9 day europe trip! Reasonable though given I had 6-7 people looking after me for my time there.

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Superb, as usual DanielW. After reading your report I feel much more comfortable making a similar trip there.
Many thanks, MatthewLAX, glad I could return the favour!

Originally Posted by LivelyFL
Loved the trip report. Fascinating. And I'm glad I'm not the only one here with these thoughts: I don't know if I want to go there even with 50 body guards. Thanks again for the wonderful pictures and insight.
Thanks, LivelyFL. Yes, a good reason I guess why Mogadishu doesn't have many tourists, hopefully in the future it'll settle down a bit though for more people to come.

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Nice report and some great photographs, as always.

I concur that the camel milk is tasty. I was able to try some at Qsar Al Sarab in the United Arab Emirates. It is supposed to have excellent nutritional qualities. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any back in Vancouver, BC.

I found it interesting that the guards wore military fatigues. I would have thought that the private security would have been less overt, and consequently safer for the VIP, if they were in plainclothes. May I ask how you arranged their services for the benefit of others considering a tried and tested resource here?
Thank you, worldtraveller73. Yes, the camel milk is definitely tastier than normal cows milk. They also make camel milk chocolate here in Dubai. This is the company I arranged everything with for my trip: http://visitsomalia.wordpress.com/

Originally Posted by Travel K
Thanks, Travel K, I'm glad to give you a 'virtual tour' of some of these interesting places! Hopefully some more TR's to come in 2015.

Originally Posted by Becho
This was exactly my thoughts!!!!! Most people would not dare to go those places he visited .... yet he managed it, most of all he is so thoughtful, cares the other cultures and their causes, that's most important.
'Thoughtful' might not be the best word, 'thrillseeker' maybe?

Originally Posted by sna430
That was an amazing TR. Very enlightening. Thanks for the wonderful photos and time sharing.
Cheers, sna430, fun to share my travels too.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 3:48 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BA, QR
Amazing and frightening... Thank you for this rare glimpse of a troubled country.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 5:19 am

Amazing!
I think you have more balls than most of FT combined
Old Jan 1, 2015, 10:35 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Diamond, LH SEN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Very cool report. I'm glad you had a safe trip!
Old Jan 1, 2015, 12:35 pm

Programs: trash airline program here
Absolutely awesome as usual..maybe you could sell these pics to another travel magazine or something. You, jason and hauteboy are definitely my favorite trip reporters. Keep up the great work!
Old Jan 1, 2015, 8:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Platinum and BAEC blue again :'(
This is one of my favourite trip reports. I always dream about going to the places off the beaten track but never do. I admire you for being brave enough to go, I think I'd want a full military surrounding me with a drone in the air.

Did the people give you funny looks being the only Westerner there or take an abnormal interest in you?
Old Jan 1, 2015, 8:43 pm

spectacular trip report Daniel. It's trips like yours to these "off the beaten track" places that I just love to read on FT. Bravo.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA GM, QF Bronze, Sugar and Spice buy 6 cups get one free offer card holder
Amazing and unique trip report. Felt like I was there with your great photography which focused on the 'ordinary' lives of a fascinating part of the world.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 10:47 pm

Programs: AA, DL, BA
Thanks a lot for the report. The pictures and your posts were very informative. I have to be honest that I had to do a double take when I saw the title and had to click on the thread after that. I came here expecting to read about you working for an NGO or something similar, but you went for pure personal desire. May you continue to enjoy your trips, and hope that you are safe everywhere you go. This one will be hard to top.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 4:45 am

Fascinating TR, thanks for sharing!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.