Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Christmas In Mogadishu

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2015, 2:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MichaelBaku
Another great trip report, Daniel. Can we interest you in a trip to visit us in Baku?
Thank you, MichaelBaku, Azerbaijan is definitely on my wishlist.

Originally Posted by GimmeLegRoom
Stunning photos. They make me feel a wide range of emotions but foremost "fascination". I have an itch to go to a few places most wouldn't (North Korea, Iran, Afghanistan) but I would draw the line at Somalia. You are brave, thanks for sharing! I need to check out your other TRs...
Thanks, GimmeLegRoom. If you visit NK, Iran and Afghanistan then Somalia will just be a natural progression. Seriously though, I definitely recommend it if you like going to unusual, interesting places.

Originally Posted by jacobac00
Thank you for posting another amazing report. Always enjoy reading and seeing the unique locations you visit.
Cheers, jacobac00, hopefully some more adventures coming up this year.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 1:57 pm
formerly ThePinkUnicornShirtGuy

Programs: Delta Diamond
Very cool!
Old Jan 17, 2015, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Thank you once again for a superb trip report to a corner of the world unlikely to be visited by others here for quite some time - if ever! Your travels bring to mind an excellent book I once read called Danziger's Travels. I think you'd relate to it - if that is you haven't already read it.

HERE's a synopsis.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 2:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ThePinkUnicornShirtGuy
Very cool!
Thanks, ThePinkUnicornShirtGuy.

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Thank you once again for a superb trip report to a corner of the world unlikely to be visited by others here for quite some time - if ever! Your travels bring to mind an excellent book I once read called Danziger's Travels. I think you'd relate to it - if that is you haven't already read it.

HERE's a synopsis.
Many thanks, Seat 2A, looks like a very interesting read and quite the intrepid traveller, even bedding his Persian hostess!!!
Old Jan 20, 2015, 12:32 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Daniel, I'm curious- when sleeping, did you have a member of your security team, on guard by the door? I'd be nervous of kidnapping while I was resting at the hotel.
Thanks and great report.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GimmeLegRoom
Stunning photos. They make me feel a wide range of emotions but foremost "fascination". I have an itch to go to a few places most wouldn't (North Korea, Iran, Afghanistan) but I would draw the line at Somalia. You are brave, thanks for sharing! I need to check out your other TRs...
Why do people keep grouping Iran, a perfectly safe and visitable country even for solo female travelers with places like Afghanistan?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 2:11 pm

Programs: ABBA
Out of interest, and this is aimed at people who go to "interesting places" (Islamabad, Karachi, Kabul, and Gaza are on my list this year. We'll see if the first 3 actually happen this time -- it's been a couple of years), do you change anything about night-time routine (do you stay partially dressed etc? Grab-bag by the door? Do you keep your phone plugged in and charging, or keep it on you? etc)
Old Jan 21, 2015, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by mpkz
Why do people keep grouping Iran, a perfectly safe and visitable country even for solo female travelers with places like Afghanistan?
More or less safe - I would say especially only safe for women if you don`t mind much about personal freedom..... I can`t imagain to visit such a country.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scottsam66
Daniel, I'm curious- when sleeping, did you have a member of your security team, on guard by the door? I'd be nervous of kidnapping while I was resting at the hotel.
Thanks and great report.
No armed guard outside my room. The hotel was quite secure, surrounded by a high brick wall with barbed wire fence and (apparently) had a 100% safety record.

Originally Posted by mpkz
NK is quite safe too, although obviously not quite as visitable.

Originally Posted by paulwuk
Out of interest, and this is aimed at people who go to "interesting places" (Islamabad, Karachi, Kabul, and Gaza are on my list this year. We'll see if the first 3 actually happen this time -- it's been a couple of years), do you change anything about night-time routine (do you stay partially dressed etc? Grab-bag by the door? Do you keep your phone plugged in and charging, or keep it on you? etc)
Don't really change my routine. If it hit the fan, not sure if this would make much difference though(?).

Originally Posted by offerendum
More or less safe - I would say especially only safe for women if you don`t mind much about personal freedom..... I can`t imagain to visit such a country.
Iran isn't too bad, much more liberal than Saudi anyway.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 2:15 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by paulwuk
I have been to two of your four (Islamabad and Kabul) and didn't do anything different. Admittedly, I have always kept a quick change handy and quick access to anything critically important because of a fire experience in an apartment building many years ago.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by You want to go where?
I have been to two of your four (Islamabad and Kabul) and didn't do anything different. Admittedly, I have always kept a quick change handy and quick access to anything critically important because of a fire experience in an apartment building many years ago.
Some folks keep their wallet, passport and telephone in their shoes so they can all be instantly found if there is a need to evacuate in the middle of the night.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 5:03 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Beautiful report.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 8:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HH something, Bonvoy can't remember
Your pics and your report are truly great. I'm inspired to break out of my usual safe and easy travel.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 8:02 am
Original Poster

On November 1st, 6 Al-Shabab gunmen used two car bombs to blast their way into the Sahafi hotel compound. This is also the hotel where I stayed at for my trip to Mogadishu.

At least 15 people were killed, including the owner, Mr. Dhagabadan who I got to briefly meet and shake hands with when I first arrived. My tour guide, Jibril, luckily survived and is now in hospital.

More info here: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-34691602
Old Nov 8, 2015, 9:10 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by DanielW
At least 15 people were killed, including the owner, Mr. Dhagabadan who I got to briefly meet and shake hands with when I first arrived. My tour guide, Jibril, luckily survived and is now in hospital.
How tragic, and so very personal for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.