Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay's New Manchester Service: CX358 J Class

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2015, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX MPC DM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by Calchas
I am aware there are codeshares to Scotland and IOM on CX*BE. But given that BE is buy-on-board, and BA is obliged to offer foreign airlines cheap domestic connections, I think it is more likely folks will be on the BA flight to LON and then catch the CX flight from there. But I do not have the numbers to say.

As for the students—I have seen them regularly for a while on the BA shuttle to/from LBA at the term start and finish, and I don't think they are low yielding. Educating wealthy foreigners is big business in the UK. From the conversations I've had quite a few I see are connecting onto CX business class. But this is anecdotal and I may be mistaken in drawing a conclusion.

My curiosity is merely whether traffic will be drawn away form LBA to MAN if there is a direct service to HKG.
I think the catchment area for the MAN flight covers beyond Leeds but most of the Northeast as well. A direct service into MAN might mean a much easier connection to big uni towns like Liverpool, York, and maybe even Durham/Newcastle
Old Feb 10, 2015, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by freakinflyer001
I think the catchment area for the MAN flight covers beyond Leeds but most of the Northeast as well. A direct service into MAN might mean a much easier connection to big uni towns like Liverpool, York, and maybe even Durham/Newcastle
You are probably quite right. I shall keep an eye out for CX boarding passes---or the lack thereof---on my next LBA flights.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Calchas
You are probably quite right. I shall keep an eye out for CX boarding passes---or the lack thereof---on my next LBA flights.
Have read somewhere that CX has already applied for slots to fly on day 3,5,7 from October. I know this slot thing doesn't mean anything but daily MAN looks to be round the corner.

So Calchas I think you'll be seeing a lot less CX BPs
Old Feb 13, 2015, 5:12 pm

someone is annoyed that CX is succesful at a destination the other asian carriers have not done well...
Old Feb 14, 2015, 7:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Nice report. ^
My thoughts. Giving your food to those who got free upgrades was a massive service failure....and here was me believing CX cabin crew never do anything wrong according to what one reads on FT. The lounge at MAN sounds awfully lacking too for a CX business class passenger. On the positive side the food and seat do look decent.

Looks like you started the journey from the Newcastle area? I couldn't be bothered with a 3 hour train journey before such a long flight. I'd much prefer taking the short flight to LHR to connect.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Talking

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Nice report. ^
My thoughts. Giving your food to those who got free upgrades was a massive service failure....and here was me believing CX cabin crew never do anything wrong according to what one reads on FT. The lounge at MAN sounds awfully lacking too for a CX business class passenger. On the positive side the food and seat do look decent.

Looks like you started the journey from the Newcastle area? I couldn't be bothered with a 3 hour train journey before such a long flight. I'd much prefer taking the short flight to LHR to connect.
Very observant! Indeed, I normally would fly to AMS/CDG/LHR
and connect onto a CX flight. Flew the MAN route just to try out the new service (testament of being a true avgeek :P) and yes having to wake up at 4am plus a long train journey was quite something.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 6:06 pm

Yes it's unacceptable but the last minute op-up numbers were really crazy on that flight.

I also think it doesn't show on the crew pax list who the op-ups are.

Oh well these sort of glitches do happen so I might as well just swallow it
Yes, they do know who were up-opped, and you should have gotten food from YOUR class of service.
That is shameful of them.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 6:07 pm

I really enjoyed your pictures in particular - very well done and I like how you only used excellent photos in your report. This is not always the case in other reports!
Old Feb 16, 2015, 3:18 am
Original Poster

Thanks Flyingfox for those kind words. I am a bit of a perfectionist
Old Feb 18, 2015, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To say that I didn't receive a premium product just because of a disappointing breakfast would be harsh
business class meal is part of business class fare

thinking its harsh is why they get away with it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.