Cathay's New Manchester Service: CX358 J Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay's New Manchester Service: CX358 J Class

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:32 pm

Programs: DL Diamond; Marriott Titanium
Great trip report, especially liked the shot of the bathroom on board. Hate plane bathrooms, but this one looked nice.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 11:52 pm

Please post back what the MPC will offer you as in compensation for the downgrade meal choice.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX MPC DM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by echen1024
Nice TR! I agree with you on loving engine views, but I prefer to sit a bit further up front where I can see the turbines
Row 23 is my personal favourite on the 77G, as I dont really want people behind me when I take pics of the food :P
Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Great trip report with super pictures. Thanks.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 4:26 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Very nice report! Cathay seem to deliver a top notch product as always! Though with the overbooking, couldn't you have expected an upgrade to First? Unless they operate the new 77W without F. It's too bad that they ran out of food for you. You should definitely send them a complaint and explain the situation, since it's quite bad that a paying Business passenger didn't get the Business meal.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 5:51 pm

Programs: Mucci of the Dominion of Maple and Moose; Keeper of Sir MightyMoose; BAEC Silver; AC MileagePlus
Great TR - Pls update...

Thanks for the TR - a great read!^

Glad you decided to write to MPC. Did you even get an apology from the F/A? As JAL and GB and LAX mentioned, this really is unacceptable. Pls do let us know what comes of it, will you?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 6:15 pm

Programs: ABBA
Concerning about the lack of people paying for business class, conventional wisdom is that someone on a cheap business class fare is far more profitable than a cabin full of flex economy class fares, and if CX can't attract people into J the route won't last long.

I look forward to an opportunity to try the route out. I don't go to HK very often, but if I can arrange SIN-HKG-MAN rather than SIN-LHR-MAN I'd be a happy bunny.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Capricorn70
Thanks for the TR - a great read!^

Glad you decided to write to MPC. Did you even get an apology from the F/A? As JAL and GB and LAX mentioned, this really is unacceptable. Pls do let us know what comes of it, will you?
Yes. Was a Japanese FA so very apologetic... Thats why I hesitated in writing my complaint

Will definitely let you guys know of the outcome
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:01 pm

Programs: Marco Polo
Excellent TR and photos. 23K is a favourite of mine as well.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paulwuk
Concerning about the lack of people paying for business class, conventional wisdom is that someone on a cheap business class fare is far more profitable than a cabin full of flex economy class fares, and if CX can't attract people into J the route won't last long.

I look forward to an opportunity to try the route out. I don't go to HK very often, but if I can arrange SIN-HKG-MAN rather than SIN-LHR-MAN I'd be a happy bunny.
Check in agent told me that J loading has been consistently good on the first few flights so the route should be quite healthy

SIN-HKG-MAN should be very doable given the many SIN flights
Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:07 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by freakinflyer001
Check in agent told me that J loading has been consistently good on the first few flights so the route should be quite healthy

SIN-HKG-MAN should be very doable given the many SIN flights
Sadly not tonight though as it's only 4 flights a week. However when the days work the timings are great.

2015 departure from SIN, arrives HKG 0005, depart 0100 arrive MAN 0620

Which works well for leaving the office at 1730 Friday, dinner on the SIN-HKG sector, then straight to sleep on HKG-MAN (if only it was a sleeper service in PE).

The alternative is
2255 out of SIN, arrives LHR 0450, then a tight connection to the 0805 departure to MAN arriving 0915.

Which involves a lot of waiting around in both Singapore and London.

Timings are much better on the via-HKG route, although in economy/pe you get fewer tier points (20+90 via HKG, 100+20 via LHR).

One way pricing though looks painful. Via LHR is S$4k, or F for S$8866. Via HKG it's S$7500, booking into business to Hong Kong, then PE to MAN.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

conventional wisdom is that someone on a cheap business class fare is far more profitable than a cabin full of flex economy class fares,
Anyone would think your corporate policy is full flex Y only
Old Dec 18, 2014, 3:17 am

Awesome photo's, freakinflyer001, especially the planespotting/tarmac and cockpit shots^.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Sadly not tonight though as it's only 4 flights a week. However when the days work the timings are great.

2015 departure from SIN, arrives HKG 0005, depart 0100 arrive MAN 0620

Which works well for leaving the office at 1730 Friday, dinner on the SIN-HKG sector, then straight to sleep on HKG-MAN (if only it was a sleeper service in PE).

The alternative is
2255 out of SIN, arrives LHR 0450, then a tight connection to the 0805 departure to MAN arriving 0915.

Which involves a lot of waiting around in both Singapore and London.

Timings are much better on the via-HKG route, although in economy/pe you get fewer tier points (20+90 via HKG, 100+20 via LHR).

One way pricing though looks painful. Via LHR is S$4k, or F for S$8866. Via HKG it's S$7500, booking into business to Hong Kong, then PE to MAN.
Seeing the strong demand in the UK/HK market, the flight should go daily in 2015. Cathay is used to starting off a flight with 4x wk, then going up to daily within a couple of months (the likes of MXP, ORD)
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DanielW
Awesome photo's, freakinflyer001, especially the planespotting/tarmac and cockpit shots^.
Hi Daniel,

Thanks for that. Always enjoyed your photos too

Adrian

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.