Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Doubling Down 5 Continent RTW Marathon (EY/SQ/NH/LH F, LA/RJ/LO/OU/SW/SA J +Others)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Doubling Down 5 Continent RTW Marathon (EY/SQ/NH/LH F, LA/RJ/LO/OU/SW/SA J +Others)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2014, 1:24 am

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lAFZnvTfFAs

I got my popcorn ready...
Old Mar 22, 2014, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
In my experience they only ask you about vaccinations if you must tick 'Have you been to Africa/S America in the last 6 days' on the entry card.

You are correct, AA_EXP09, but since South Africa and Namibia are both in Africa but not on the Yellow Fever Listed Countries, it's better to check it out nonetheless.
Just took the Australian Immigration about 15 secs to cross referenced their list, they have the list laminated at the desk.

Originally Posted by LondonElite
This is a very interesting, if perplexing trip report.

I have to congratulate you on an extreme amount of flying, since you clearly enjoy that. Well done. I'm also impressed with the quality of the photography, the interesting anecdotes about the places you have visited and the huge amount of information on the different carrier services that you have sampled. Clearly a huge amount of time and money has gone into this 'project', including the effort to bring it all to the FT audience. This is what perplexes me.

I know you're relatively young (you make that point a little too often, we get it) but you seem to have an unlimited amount of time to spend on holidays. I think I read somewhere along the line that you have a job (in HKG?), from which you needed a 'break' because you were feeling ill. But you seem to have spent months travelling with nary a care for work. Do you really have a job or is it just something that you can pick up and drop again? I can't imagine any real employer putting up with this.

The next thing that has me perplexes is the amount of money that this travel costs. I don't know your personal financial situation, but you appear to be paying for this travel yourself. Given that you don't really seem to work, are your parents funding this, directly or indirectly? It's just really bizarre to me. Maybe I've missed some big point, but I don't get how a person in their mid-20s, with a university degree, can spend endless time just flitting around (and I live in Europe, where we have endless holidays, and I run my own business so I don't have to report to anyone). I'm not trying to tell you what to do, just genuinely curious.

And that leads me to my third point, the one that really gets me. Much (most?) of your travel seems to be utterly pointless. You have an endless set of flights and connections that exist for no fathomable reason, other than to sit in a plane (at considerable expense). My head is slightly spinning from all the ins and outs of HKG, BKK, SIN, YYC, NRT, that have you just transiting a plane or spending a night at an airport hotel. I'm sure upstate NY was brilliant and I love SA, and I'm very keen to explore Burma myself, having grown up in SE Asia, but so much is just pointless sitting on a plane. Why? It's a free world, but that one just baffles me.
Thanks for reading my Trip Report, LondonElite
I respectively disagree with your comments, have a wonderful weekend

Originally Posted by El_Chiflero
Ah El Chiflero, getting ready for the Big Finale
Need another day or 2 but will need to finish it real quick
Old Mar 22, 2014, 10:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
Thanks for reading my Trip Report, LondonElite
I respectively disagree with your comments, have a wonderful weekend
They were mainly questions, can't really disagree with them, respectfully (I think this is what you mean) or not!

Last edited by LondonElite; Mar 22, 2014 at 10:29 am
Old Mar 22, 2014, 2:12 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
The SYD Quantas Domestic Lounge looks far nicer than the last United Club I was at.

Just sayin.

^
Old Mar 22, 2014, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
Originally Posted by LondonElite
They were mainly questions, can't really disagree with them, respectfully (I think this is what you mean) or not!
That might be his way of saying he'd rather not argue about the way he travels and muddy up this thread.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
The SYD Quantas Domestic Lounge looks far nicer than the last United Club I was at.

Just sayin.

^
Oh I agree the SYD Qantas Domestic Club is good.
That is comparing to the UA IAH Terminal E United Club I was at last.
The QF Domestic Club is probably better because only J pax, QF Platinum and OW Emerald can go in there would make a good amount of difference.
While the Ruby, Sapphire and Qantas Club member can only use the Qantas Club.

Don't forget Worldtraveller73, it's Qantas, not Quantas
Really surprised you would make that mistake @:-)

Originally Posted by El_Chiflero
That might be his way of saying he'd rather not argue about the way he travels and muddy up this thread.
Thank you El Chiflero for your kind words and You're Spot on Sir.
In most cases I am perfectly happy to answer questions but in this case, it would be best not to.

New Part coming up tomorrow or monday ^
Old Mar 23, 2014, 12:23 am

Programs: Qantas, Singapore Airlines
SHF, I really enjoy reading your trip reports.

I don't post much, but please keep up the good work!

Steve.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 5:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Note, no-one is under any obligation to explain themselves or reveal details of their personal lives on Flyertalk.

Let's get back to this fantastic report please….

matthandy
Moderator: Trip Reports
Old Mar 23, 2014, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by standch
SHF, I really enjoy reading your trip reports.

I don't post much, but please keep up the good work!

Steve.
Thank You standch, the section on your fantastic city of Melbourne will be up shortly

Originally Posted by matthandy
Note, no-one is under any obligation to explain themselves or reveal details of their personal lives on Flyertalk.

Let's get back to this fantastic report please….

matthandy
Moderator: Trip Reports
Thank You for the Clarification matthandy

Will have the next section (Melbourne, Australia) up in an hour or Two

Additional Note
It is my regret to inform all readers I will be needing to add a 60th Part to This Trip Report.

I was unable to find a clean and concise way to divide the following 3 Topics into 2 Parts
1) Melbourne <Part 58>
2) QF 763 Int'l J + some additional SYD <Part 59>
3) CX 333 Cirrus J and QF SYD F lounge <Part 60>

Thank You for Your Understanding
Old Mar 23, 2014, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Part 58 – Dropping by for a Weekend Visit, Melbourne, Australia

Originally the decision to go to Melbourne was because of a friend recently moving back to Melbourne, he asked me to visit him when possible and courteously allowed me to stay at his place for the weekend and show me around.
As such, it took me a couple weekends to try to find schedule it in, the QF J JNB – SYD availability couple parts up finally allow me to do so.

After answering some emails and having a quick lunch in the Qantas Club, it was time to make my way to Melbourne CBD.

I ended up taking a Skybus Super Shuttle to Southern Cross Station, then walk up to his office at the Corner of Bourke and Swanston; as it was still early on Friday afternoon, I ended up finding a coffee shop to wait out the afternoon.

We dropped off my bags at his car then took a quick walking tour around Melbourne CBD.

Very Busy Flinders Street Station on Friday Night

Federation Square and the Australian Centre for Moving Image (ACMI)

A Skyline View from the Yarra River

Melbourne Aquarium

We ended up walking down to the Yarra Promenade to the Crown Entertainment Complex. Both of us wanted to see the Fireshow but as we have missed it, we decided against it and went out for dinner and early sleep-in instead.

The Next Morning, we took off for Yarra Valley for wines. Personally, I’m not a big drinker but if I’m here in Melbourne anyway, better to have done one to say I’ve done it.

Domaine Chandon

We did a quick self walk-through of the facilities and went for the tasting bar.
We ended up going for the Sparkling Wine tasting, but neither of us bought anything else, my friend and his family aren’t big drinker and neither was I, and I also had the liquid limit for carry-on bags as a secondary consideration.

Tasting Bar

Some more of the Vineyard

After the Winery, we headed to Mount Dandenong
I really enjoy today’s summer retreat, a temperature of +4C/39F, you know that’s the temperature you want after spending a summer in HKG

Mount Dandenong, looks towards Melbourne CBD

A look towards the Countryside

Part 58 Continues Below
Old Mar 23, 2014, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Bahaha, after another 30 minutes stop or so, we went off to a lunch then finished our day in St. Kilda.

St. Kilda Beach

Be Careful with the Booze

St. Kilda Pavilion

Another wonderful shot of the Skyline, only issue is walking in 5C with 40 km/h Wind Gust, Cold and Windchill!!!!

Melbourne from St. Phillip’s Bay

Palais Theatre

Shortly after that was a short walk to Luna Park

Luna Park

Scenic Railway

I’m sure most of us have heard about Dumpster Baby, guess they want to avoid Roller-coaster Baby too

And to finish the day, we ended up doing some Go-Carts and a dinner in Richmond.

*Not so clear Iphone Photo

Part 58 Continues Below
Old Mar 23, 2014, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Finally to the last full day in Melbourne, time to tour around Melbourne CBD.

Shrine of Remembrance

Another Different View of Melbourne

Queen Victoria Market

I think I might save my doughnuts when I’m back in Canada/United States

Ended up stopping around 45 mins and grabbing a brunch at a nearby Diner.

St. Paul’s Catherdal

Stop tempting me with Doughnuts Please

Bourke Street Mall

Melbourne General Post Office

Royal Arcade

Part 58 Continues Below
Old Mar 23, 2014, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Navigating through more Arcades and Lane

After curving around around CBD, it was time to take the Old City Circle Tram to Docklands

*No photos in the Tram, it was rather packed

Docklands and Etihad Stadium

A Half-Finished Ferris Wheel?

Now back on the Tram up La Trobe Street to the Royal Exhibition Building

Royal Exhibition Building

Melbourne Museum

One of the list of Museum that came to peek my interest was the Melbourne Gaol.
Admission was a bit pricey at 25 AUD but it included a Watchhouse Experience and how one is arrested and put in jail prior to trial
http://www.oldmelbournegaol.com.au/city_watch_house

Melbourne Gaol

General Holding Cells

Eww, Love Shack….

The Watchhouse

Part 58 Continues Below
Old Mar 23, 2014, 8:41 am
Original Poster

After the Watchhouse Experience, one is free to walk around the rest of the Museum.

Scaffold and Death by Hanging

The Exhibit had a good amount on Joseph “Squizzy” Taylor

Dolly Grey, Squizzy’s First Wife

Ida Pender, his Later Wife

I finally retired back to my friend’s place and had dinner with his family
And with that my Melbourne trip comes to an end.

A 9am MEL – SYD flight on Monday Morning back to SYD, and another 23 hr 59 min mini-stop in SYD remains.

Next Part
Part 59 – Qantas Airways Boeing 767-300 International Business Class MEL - SYD
Old Mar 23, 2014, 8:53 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
Additional Note
It is my regret to inform all readers I will be needing to add a 60th Part to This Trip Report.

I was unable to find a clean and concise way to divide the following 3 Topics into 2 Parts
1) Melbourne <Part 58>
2) QF 763 Int'l J + some additional SYD <Part 59>
3) CX 333 Cirrus J and QF SYD F lounge <Part 60>

Thank You for Your Understanding
the more the merrier, especially getting to see a new product QF 763 Int! Keep up the good work and start planning the next mega-TR! hehe

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.