Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Doubling Down 5 Continent RTW Marathon (EY/SQ/NH/LH F, LA/RJ/LO/OU/SW/SA J +Others)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Doubling Down 5 Continent RTW Marathon (EY/SQ/NH/LH F, LA/RJ/LO/OU/SW/SA J +Others)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2014, 10:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, TK Elite, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
I know many will ask me, why didn’t I check-in over at the First Class Terminal?
Well, with the completion of the new A gates at the airport, I really wanted to try out the new First Class Lounge prior to heading over to the FCT.
I've had long layovers in FRA and always thought about visiting both the FCL and FCT but wasn't sure if that was possible. So I guess you just clear security/immigration to go to the FCL, and then exit through immigration and then go to the FCT? Any issues or grief from the immigration folks for exiting again?

I partially disagree, for clothes, I find it appropriate depending for destination, it was BKK, not the North Pole.
The concern shouldn't be on clothes, provided I put something on.
LH could have a "No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service", and why I disagree on the pants too.
I also had jeans with me on that trip, but if I do the "sagging my underwear" routine, do that make me better, no likely because there is disgusting manners.
And on the issue of the behavior of the Concierge at the FCT, I can't speak much from experience since I've never used that service. But I want to provide a different perspective. I wonder if he/she was referring to a full flight (as in the whole plane or additional HON pax that also needed rides). In the end it was a van shuttle after all. Not to excuse the way it was said - it could have been communicated a bit better and he/she assumed that you did not know the load factor.

I'm more on the casual side in terms of my dress when traveling in F though generally I still wear long pants (jeans though) and a collared shirt. I have seen some paying F pax who dress pretty casually too (jeans and hoodie) though it seems that many are still in business clothes. While I do agree that as an F pax there should not be a requirement to dress up, there is always a very human reaction that is understandable. It's that part of our brain that makes those quick decisions based on assumptions so yeah I can understand that yeah dress can have an impact.

And of course nice clothes doesn't allow one to be a douche.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by PresRDC
I didn't love the food we had in SA. It was fine, but nothing special. Food is not the reason to go to SA.

That said, the ostrich looked very good. If you hadn't said anything, I would have mistaken it for beef.
I agree PresRDC, food wasn't very special in SA or Namibia either.
I mean other than trying the Ostrich and the Kudu, nothing good to remember from.
The cut was very good, the problem was they didn't spread the salt/pepper out evenly hence wrecking the meat a bit

Originally Posted by shogunate03
I've had long layovers in FRA and always thought about visiting both the FCL and FCT but wasn't sure if that was possible. So I guess you just clear security/immigration to go to the FCL, and then exit through immigration and then go to the FCT? Any issues or grief from the immigration folks for exiting again?

And on the issue of the behavior of the Concierge at the FCT, I can't speak much from experience since I've never used that service. But I want to provide a different perspective. I wonder if he/she was referring to a full flight (as in the whole plane or additional HON pax that also needed rides). In the end it was a van shuttle after all. Not to excuse the way it was said - it could have been communicated a bit better and he/she assumed that you did not know the load factor.

I'm more on the casual side in terms of my dress when traveling in F though generally I still wear long pants (jeans though) and a collared shirt. I have seen some paying F pax who dress pretty casually too (jeans and hoodie) though it seems that many are still in business clothes. While I do agree that as an F pax there should not be a requirement to dress up, there is always a very human reaction that is understandable. It's that part of our brain that makes those quick decisions based on assumptions so yeah I can understand that yeah dress can have an impact.

And of course nice clothes doesn't allow one to be a douche.
The FCL I went into was the new Schengen one in A, not very sure if they had immigration controls in that one.
No issues about immigration because I technically haven't left Europe
Security caught I was going to the wrong concourse but I just said I want to go to the new lounge and got let through.

No clothes, whether good or bad allows one to be a douche.
The problem with the concierge is he blatantly lied to me and got caught.
And still try to defend his own action afterward was what pushed me over.

I don't flame people unless they completely driven me off the edge, sadly it was one of those days.

I apologise for the posting delay, been getting the Flight Report Index set up, which has taken up the last couple days
Old Jan 14, 2014, 6:26 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
I understand that Cape Agulhas in that weather conditions will not likely leave great memories, but when I've been there last yeat, January, was something simply unforgettable. Ideal temperature, blue sky, breeze and the stunning Struisbaai beach to couple the experience.
Also the roads were in perfect shape and the drive fron Johannesburg to Cape Town via Garden route was one of the best ever.
Seem to remember that George itself is not particularly interesting, having way more spots in the area worth a stop, either for a minute or few nights.
South Africa is amazing.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Forrest Bump
I understand that Cape Agulhas in that weather conditions will not likely leave great memories, but when I've been there last yeat, January, was something simply unforgettable. Ideal temperature, blue sky, breeze and the stunning Struisbaai beach to couple the experience.
Also the roads were in perfect shape and the drive fron Johannesburg to Cape Town via Garden route was one of the best ever.
Seem to remember that George itself is not particularly interesting, having way more spots in the area worth a stop, either for a minute or few nights.
South Africa is amazing.
Actually I kinda disagree to a some degree, I grew up the Pacific Northwest so having that type of element and environment is kinda unique in ways.
Brings alot of memories for sure and pouring Rain, heavy winds made for an adventure for sure, including night driving in S. Africa.
We kinda lucked out, not lucked out in ways, we wanted a summer retreat so the Oceanic Climate, similar to YVR really kicked in so it was nice.
We got a bit of sun, and alot of rain, but anything was better than the humid HKG weather we were so dearly on escaping from.

I agree, George itself didn't leave much of an impression, the resort was overall well and the staff was courteous too.
The region does leave a good amount of exploring which we sadly didn't get alot of, needed more days this trip that we didn't have
Old Jan 14, 2014, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I visited Cape Aguhlas on a similar type of day to SHF and enjoyed it. Living in New England, I've come to appreciate the beauty of the ocean on a stormy day.

For a geography geek like me, being the southernmost person in Africa for a few minutes was pretty cool.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PresRDC
I visited Cape Aguhlas on a similar type of day to SHF and enjoyed it. Living in New England, I've come to appreciate the beauty of the ocean on a stormy day.

For a geography geek like me, being the southernmost person in Africa for a few minutes was pretty cool.
Same, I agree wholeheartedly PresRDC

Sorry for the delay, my hands have been full on the flight report index.
New section up now
Old Jan 17, 2014, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Part 49 – Traversing the Garden Route of Western Cape

6am wake-up call, and with a breakfast down at the hotel restaurant, we were shortly out from the Hyatt George around 8:30am, first stop of the day was Congo Cave as it was one of the major sites around Western Cape which was rain-proof.

After a 2 hour drive upwards to the mountain, we made it to Congo Cave around 10:45am, right on time for the 11am regular tour.

Here is on the way coming up to the highlands, with some snow on the Swartberg Mountains

Cango Caves

Tour comes in the 60 Minutes Standard or 90 Minutes Adventure tours

This is part of the standard tour, might require you duck your head but overall easy walking. The Cave inside is a comfy 18 Celsius, today it was warmer inside than outside.

Part 49 Continues Below

Last edited by Short hair Francis; Jan 17, 2014 at 8:56 am
Old Jan 17, 2014, 5:40 am
Original Poster

On the way back down to the coast near Oudtshoorn, we noticed an ostrich farm, that was possibly one of the options I debated for today, sadly the wet weather didn’t cooperate on this front.

After a quick lunch back in George, we decided to head east for some auto-touring along the coast

Near Kaaiman’s Pass

A Quick reminder you are still in South Africa/Suid-Afrika

Plettenberg Bay

Krsyna, South Africa

Part 49 Continues Below
Old Jan 17, 2014, 5:41 am
Original Poster

With sunset around 5:45pm, we decided to drive back to the Hotel which was about 1 1/4 hours away.

On the way back while driving in the drive, a reality check for driving in South Africa, 20 Mins wait in Construction zones

*Yes I am driving in the dark in South Africa

And after another overnight rest, it was time to say good-bye to the Garden Route as we made our way back towards Cape Town

But first down to Oubaai/Herold’s Bay where the Hotel got its name

Herold’s Bay

As we left George at 9am, the Drive from George back to Cape Town took around 4.5 hours including a washroom/lunch/gas station break

Here is a couple of pics of the drive back

Next Part
Part 50 – One Short Stint in Cape Town
Old Jan 18, 2014, 6:56 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Finally got off a 10 hour Japan Airlines Dreamliner flight in Coachconomy (less unpleasant than expected), and with a five hour layover at Helsinki: What better way to kill the time than catching up on your report!

Must say that SAA's Business Class looks like a fairly decent product. Though the seats have been around for a good number of years, they still appear to be fully-flat which I assume would qualify them for another few years in the skies. Did the seats feel too outdated for you?

I am however a bit chocked about your amenity kit being stolen. Did a fellow C pax commit this heinous crime, or did somebody sneak up from whY in the middle of the night? Thankfully it was just an amenity kit, which I personally see little value in. However if somebody came and stole any other more valuable belongings, such as laptops, QC headphones or iPads I would be far more concerned. Perhaps it's best to keep all items in a locked trolley case, in case one were to find oneself on a SAA flight.

South Africa looks fabulous, and it is a country that is on my to-visit list. Too bad about the weather though, as I'm assuming you arrived in the middle of their winter. Did you have any concerns about the safety in the country? Heard some stories about armed robberies against tourists being fairly common in the country.

Anyways looking forward to the next parts.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LH4116
Finally got off a 10 hour Japan Airlines Dreamliner flight in Coachconomy (less unpleasant than expected), and with a five hour layover at Helsinki: What better way to kill the time than catching up on your report!

Must say that SAA's Business Class looks like a fairly decent product. Though the seats have been around for a good number of years, they still appear to be fully-flat which I assume would qualify them for another few years in the skies. Did the seats feel too outdated for you?

I am however a bit chocked about your amenity kit being stolen. Did a fellow C pax commit this heinous crime, or did somebody sneak up from whY in the middle of the night? Thankfully it was just an amenity kit, which I personally see little value in. However if somebody came and stole any other more valuable belongings, such as laptops, QC headphones or iPads I would be far more concerned. Perhaps it's best to keep all items in a locked trolley case, in case one were to find oneself on a SAA flight.

South Africa looks fabulous, and it is a country that is on my to-visit list. Too bad about the weather though, as I'm assuming you arrived in the middle of their winter. Did you have any concerns about the safety in the country? Heard some stories about armed robberies against tourists being fairly common in the country.

Anyways looking forward to the next parts.
Ouch LH4116, 10 hours in Economy, haven't done that since Royal Jordanian lol
It's been slightly easier to catch up to the TR considering I've been very slow the last month due to some other commitments.
SAA J seats are fine, the legrest when in full flat mode (The 346 pics displays it the best), pops up slightly as an wedge.
It was annoying for someone short but otherwise no issue.
AVOD was ok, mid 2000s standards, not mind-blowing by any means but does the trick.

I was thinking the crew might have wanted to use one for their rest breaks.
The purser did find me another kit, I just put it as a couple of oddies that is associated with South Africa.
It was the Southern Winter and a big reason why we chose that time of the year to go.
HKG in humid summer can be draining and annoying for the body. Overall it was a very good respite.
Safety wise, we took more precautions and had way higher guard in SA vs. Namibia.
SA maybe because of stereotypical reasons, but we had gate properties each night of our stays so no overall biggy.

Night driving or even just driving there I say isn't for everyone
One, roads are quite dark with high speeds of 140-150 km/h on the 2 lane highway. People speed alot more at night including yours truly
Secondly, alot of the times, people will use alot of the shoulder to yield for faster traffic and use the median to pass even in double yellow line situations.

It just part of their driving culture so might be some culture shock for some.
Then again, having grown up in the driving culture of Vancouver, i did just fine.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 1:19 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
It just part of their driving culture so might be some culture shock for some.
Then again, having grown up in the driving culture of Vancouver, i did just fine.
I thought people in Vancouver drives really slow. Most of them hogs up the central lane and then the taxis just takes the slowest lane to bypass them. And when the snow hits the city, I think its faster to walk!
Old Jan 20, 2014, 5:17 pm

Thank you

For all the War Room photos. That is one place I have never seen and hope to one day. Your trip report has kept me occupied for the better part of today. Glad I had a paid holiday.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by quirrow
I thought people in Vancouver drives really slow. Most of them hogs up the central lane and then the taxis just takes the slowest lane to bypass them. And when the snow hits the city, I think its faster to walk!
Haha quirrow, they either do what you do above. Or they are the fast ones who pass either on the fast or the slow lane and criss/cross to pass cars.
I am the latter group.
I will agree with the snow, wet snow with Vancouver hills = hopeless driving day.

Originally Posted by happymom2008
For all the War Room photos. That is one place I have never seen and hope to one day. Your trip report has kept me occupied for the better part of today. Glad I had a paid holiday.
You're welcome happymom2008, hope I didn't take out too much of your MLK day
Old Jan 22, 2014, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Part 50 – One Short Stint in Cape Town

As I was originally planning this trip, I realized we didn’t have enough days on the trip. I could’ve easily done a whole months travelling in South Africa and still wouldn’t have discovered everything here.
Sadly my allotment for the Western Cape was 3 days, not quite enough time to cover the Garden Route and Cape Town as the TR has shown.

After leaving George around 9am, we finally got to Sir Lowry Pass around 1:30pm

Sir Lowry Pass looking towards Cape Town

False Bay looking towards Cape Peninsula

As I really only had 1/3 of a day or 2-6pm in Cape Town, I decided to see the Penguins and go to the Cape of Good Hope.

Unfortunately I was stuck in heavy single-lane traffic near Fish Hoek going towards the Cape resulting in Heavy delays. And we finally got to the Penguins section around 3:15pm

Table Mountains National Park

Beware of African Penguins

The rest of the Penguins Sanctuary

The Snowy Kogelberg Mountains across in the distance

And after the Penguins, we made our way further south

Cape of Good Hope

Sadly I choose the wrong line to follow going into the park

*Yo, if some people within your group is too bloody cheap, leave them at the entrance and come back to pick them up on the way out, don’t go block the entrance for over 10 minutes

Part 50 Continues Below

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.