Easter in Asia CX F & JL F

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Easter in Asia CX F & JL F

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2013, 6:52 am

Programs: SQ QPP1, HYATT DIA, SPG GOLD, HH GOLD, IHG GOLD
Excellent trip-report! Made me want to try out JL F using my AM (still have 200k++ miles). Do they serve the NRT-LAX route?

I noticed that the HKG-HND menu is the same as what I had for HKG-NRT last week!
Old Apr 9, 2013, 3:39 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by MilesBuzz
Excellent trip-report! Made me want to try out JL F using my AM (still have 200k++ miles). Do they serve the NRT-LAX route?

I noticed that the HKG-HND menu is the same as what I had for HKG-NRT last week!
Yes but the seat will be the older JAL Suite until November. It is essentially the same Venus seat by Contour but with a different trim. Menu and service wise are the same but flight time is a bit short though.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Ah the Westin in Ebisu...I remember riding my bike around their mall lobby, blissfully unaware at the time of what is was.

Not a usual 'hood mentioned on FT...what'd you think?
I quite like the area and the Westin has great breakfasts for PLT. It is also within easy reach of both JR lines and the Tokyo Metro.

Originally Posted by GmK
By far some of the most stunning food I have ever seen being served on a plane.

JL has *really* stepped up their game!
It was a very different experience from my first JL F several years ago.

Originally Posted by yerffej201
Wow, that JL meal looks stunning
Yep it was.

Originally Posted by origin
Thanks for the update.
A pleasure.

Originally Posted by harrison1186
Thanks for another great report, Moomba. JL F looks quite impressive, and I'm looking even more to my flight. Out of curiosity, does JL allow you to keep the pajamas? I believe you have return them NH.
Thanks harrison1186. I took the PJ with me and no one asked for them back. I did notice on CX they had cards that said the PJs could be taken but if they were left onboard they would be washed and donated to shelters and the like.

Originally Posted by shogunate03
I was eagerly looking forward to the JL report since you don't see it too often, and it didn't disappoint. I'm definitely tempted now to try them, assuming I can find the availability on an award trip.
I was glad I opted for JL on this route as the other OW that operates this route doesn't even come close.

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Wow - I'd have to agree. That food on JAL looked fabulous!! I don't think I've ever seen such presentation on an airplane. Thank you for the lovely photos!!
Thanks, glad you liked the pics.

Originally Posted by Digital01
Excellent report! The food certainly has be intrigued! One more airline I must try!
I think it is nice to try new things and am sure you won't be disappointed if you give JL a shot.

Originally Posted by MilesBuzz

Thanks MilesBuzz. I see JALPak has answered your question already.

I only realised myself that CX recycle the Kaiseki when I saw the dish presented in the scallop shell in your report.

Last edited by Moomba; Apr 10, 2013 at 12:06 am
Old Apr 10, 2013, 10:30 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Cracking TR Moomba ^

I really loved the JAL F part in particular and that food.....mmmm!!!

Your photos of the Cherry Blossom trees in the park also stood out for me, a beautiful sight. Thanks for sharing your travels ^

Pete
Old Apr 11, 2013, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PETER01
Cracking TR Moomba ^

I really loved the JAL F part in particular and that food.....mmmm!!!

Your photos of the Cherry Blossom trees in the park also stood out for me, a beautiful sight. Thanks for sharing your travels ^

Pete
Thanks PETER01. I am glad you enjoyed the report and pictures.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 7:59 pm

Programs: DL PM
Gorgeous pictures Moomba! Thanks so much for sharing!
Old Apr 13, 2013, 3:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ElliottMB
Gorgeous pictures Moomba! Thanks so much for sharing!
Thanks ElliottMB. Glad you enjoyed it.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 2:15 pm
Suspended

Really good trip report.
Just wondered for the PdB. This is not local regulation as CX serves pdb ex NRT and HND.

Also it is a it's u don't like seafood as the kaesaki meals on CX is excellent. I'm doing this route in a few weeks time and looking forward to this and ur TR is a good insight. Also did u enjoy the deutz?
Old Apr 14, 2013, 3:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by correctioncx
Really good trip report.
Just wondered for the PdB. This is not local regulation as CX serves pdb ex NRT and HND.

Also it is a it's u don't like seafood as the kaesaki meals on CX is excellent. I'm doing this route in a few weeks time and looking forward to this and ur TR is a good insight. Also did u enjoy the deutz?
Thanks correctioncx

I understand it is the Japanese operated airlines that do not do the pre DB, but could be wrong. It seems the law was changed to allow this but JAL still does not serve PdB.

The kaiseki meal I had on CX in the past was excellent. I do find though they are predominantly seafood and tend to avoid them for this reason.

I quite like the Amour de Deutz champagne.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 3:41 am
R&R

Programs: 1K-UA/AA, LT PLAT-MARRIOTT(1984), HILTON-GOLD, HYATT-GOLD
Cool Which airline scores for Better Dining!

Is it JL or CX ?
Your pictures wet my appetite for some Janpanese cuisine after 10 days in China. Unfortunately the NRT-SAN nonstop will not have First class available!

I am thinking of taking JL back from PVG to SAN because of the shorter flight times rather then going back through HKG.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 5:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Great update Moomba! I have to echo what others have said, that looks like the best airline food I have ever seen. How does it compare to the many other meals that you've had in first class over the years?
Old Apr 14, 2013, 6:55 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
It's settled. Moomba has completely convinced me that I need to be in a mileage program that includes JAL, if only for the culinary adventures in F ...
Old Apr 14, 2013, 10:29 pm
fwh

CX F looks awesome.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by R&R
Is it JL or CX ?
Your pictures wet my appetite for some Janpanese cuisine after 10 days in China. Unfortunately the NRT-SAN nonstop will not have First class available!

I am thinking of taking JL back from PVG to SAN because of the shorter flight times rather then going back through HKG.
CX only has the Kaiseki meal on their KIX and HND/NRT flights so if you are really wanting Japanese food on a plane I would stick with JL.

Originally Posted by matthandy
Great update Moomba! I have to echo what others have said, that looks like the best airline food I have ever seen. How does it compare to the many other meals that you've had in first class over the years?
There are a few very memorable meals I have had over the years. One was in CX first several years ago before their meals went downhill. The other two were both my JAL first flights, so there seems to be a pattern here. The previous JAL meal was also Wagyu beef and it was equally delicious. It is quite interesting to note how the JAL meal has evolved over the last 5 years.

My previous experience is described in this post a previous trip report. You can see more photos of that meal if you click the more photos link at the bottom of the post.

Originally Posted by AKCuisine
It's settled. Moomba has completely convinced me that I need to be in a mileage program that includes JAL, if only for the culinary adventures in F ...
I would do it again. I just wish they had better IFE to go along with it.

Originally Posted by fwh
CX F looks awesome.
It is pretty good and used to be better but my JAL experience surpassed my recent CX meals.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 5:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
That food looks amazing.... in fact, all your photos do

loved the trip report. The problem with reading your TRs is that you make me want to try the airlines too!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.