Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Flyertalk, travels, etc thru the "eyes" of a FTer having Stage 4 cancer (Part 1 of 4)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flyertalk, travels, etc thru the "eyes" of a FTer having Stage 4 cancer (Part 1 of 4)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2013, 7:11 am

Programs: AC*SE,MM
This is what it's all about.

Good luck.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 2:34 pm

Location: Petaluma, CA ;UA 1P(made it 12/13/03!),HH Gold,Hertz Gold
What a story C661! And it hits closer to home than most could. I fought through end stage liver disease and cancer in 2010 into '11 from Hepatitis C until finally getting a liver transplant in June 2011. One year later, Lymphoma, likely brought on by immune suppression meds. Now that's gone too, and hopefully I too can resume recreational traveling if my finances ever recover from the protracted illnesses. You're fighting the good fight and I'm living proof you can come out the other side despite the odds! Best of luck to you and look forward to reading about your future travels soon.
Ken
Old Mar 26, 2013, 3:56 pm

Thank you for sharing your story. I really admire your positive attitude!! And you reminded me of my blue AMC Hornet station wagon. I'd almost forgotten about that thing!

After the second surgery, the doctors told me my husband wouldn't make it, but he recently celebrated five years cancer-free. My father-in-law was diagnosed with cancer last year and given six months, but he is still doing well - even gained weight! I think both benefitted from a great attitude.

Wishing you all the best in your journeys (travel and cancer),
love2ft
Old Mar 26, 2013, 9:59 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Sometimes the hardest part of living is wondering whether to click "purchase" on those air tickets, instead of saving the money in the bank.

It's life stories like this that make me glad chemist, myself and others on FT decided to click "purchase", and get those experiences on that trip, instead of sitting at home.

Chemist - wishing you the best in your health in the present and the future.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 6:03 am

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Sometimes the hardest part of living is wondering whether to click "purchase" on those air tickets, instead of saving the money in the bank.

It's life stories like this that make me glad chemist, myself and others on FT decided to click "purchase", and get those experiences on that trip, instead of sitting at home.

Chemist - wishing you the best in your health in the present and the future.
so true
keep your chin up Chemist
Old Apr 1, 2013, 6:58 am

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
Best wishes for the future.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 3:43 am

Programs: AA Plat
Excellent story. Great that you are keeping a positive attitude, I truly think it does help. Good luck and get back up the skies! Thanks for sharing your experiences. Stories like this certainly remind you to live life to the fullest.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 2:40 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
More updates since my TR

I will try to answer questions that were previous posted but I may miss some so please forgive me if I miss your question.

1. 661 was the area code I'd lived in when I joined FT in 2001.

2. I owned two 1974 AMC Hornets. The one described in the TR was my #2 AMC Hornet. Hornet #1 I'd owned from 1984 to 1988. A "rust" bucket but very reliable. Hornet #2 was a rust free Calif original mileage car (36K) owned from 1988 to 1993. I sold it to a coworker as I also owned a 1968 VW fastback & 1966 Mustang. (I never believed in car payments at that time!!!--my first new car came in early 1996). The coworker put alot more miles on that car and I got him out of a bad car lease by having him buy my car for $350 cash!!!

Now for some updates:

It has been over 4 weeks since my hip injury and for the last 1.5 weeks, I can put full weight on the right leg/hip. I still have to use the walker/wheelchair but I have more mobility than before. I still can not drive and I am mostly housebound but with my wife's help (driving me everywhere, etc) I get out. I hope in 2-4 weeks time that I can drive my car and be completely independent!!

My last chemotherary was on March 25th as scheduled. I had my bloodwork on Monday April 1 and the good news is I do NOT need a blood transfusion!! I am usually weak during week 1 of chemo but I gain strength for weeks 2 & 3. (this week is #2 week). I rather be at work since I do not enjoy having so many Doctor's appointments!!! Work is easier for me!!! Next week, I have my PET Scan and I am hoping that the chemo treatments are working! I feel like they are but time will tell.

I am taking advantage of my time off to do alot of CC signups (wife & I!!), read FT and other travel blogs, etc. I also read other stuff to become more well informed!! I try to have fun and I remain positive in spite of my circumstances!! I even used some of my remaining UA miles to subscribe to some magazines!! ^

My medical care since my change to PPO in 2013 has been top notch!! It cost us some $$ but it is worth it to be alive!! There is a time to be frugal and a time NOT to be frugal. I wished I could have changed to PPO for 2012 but it was not possible. (past deadline for employer's annual change). I had various therapists (physical, occupational, speech) come to the house. They tell me my positive attitude helps me in my recovery!! Both the Occupational & Speech Therapists discharged me because I recovered well enough to improve on my own. Great news!! The Physical Therapist will bring a stationary bicycle to his next appointment (tomorrow!) to see how well I handle that. I am confident I will be fully independent before I know it!!! ^

Bottom line: Thank you for the PM's and responses on this thread. I enjoy life and I look at my hip injury as a "setback" (delay), nothing more!

Life goes on & happy travels!! ^
Old Apr 4, 2013, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All the best.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 12:23 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
Update as of April 20. Good and bad news.

I have good & bad news on my cancer:

GOOD NEWS:

The chemotherapy is reducing the masses in the lung and elsewhere. I am able to breathe better and my hip is almost healed up. I am able to drive!! I am taking baby steps to get better. My doctors tell me that I am doing very well in spite of my cancer. I keep as active as possible and still enjoy life.

BAD NEWS:

I had a PET scan on April 10 and there is a new mass in the lower left heart. I met with my Oncologist on April 12 and she felt that I would have high risk of a heart attack so she put me in the hospital after the appointment. I was hospitalized & observed for 6 days. No heart attack! ^ I was supposed to have a heart biopsy but I was told I would not likely survive the surgery since it is difficult to access. There is a 99.9% probability that mass is cancer that has spread to the heart.

I got discharged from the hospital two days ago (April 18) and I am able to drive!! I was told if I have any problems with my heart (chest pains, etc) to call 911 or go to the nearest ER. So far, I feel fine and it appears that the mass is fixed & not moved. I meet with the Oncologist this coming Tuesday to discuss new chemo procedures for my new cancer. The Oncologist is an expert with head/neck cancers.

Since the prior chemotherapy is reducing the other cancer, I am confident that the new chemo will do the job of reducing the cancer in the heart.

Bottom line: I remain positive and I am going full speed ahead with everything. I have to be realistic and may not live forever. I am hoping that my cancer will be "licked" and I can travel overseas. ^

Note to self: Bring laptop to Chemo sessions and Oncologist appointments.

Last edited by chemist661; Apr 20, 2013 at 12:56 pm Reason: Capitalized: GOOD & BAD NEWS
Old Apr 21, 2013, 5:19 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Sorry to hear about the new tumour. Stupid disease just hasn't got the message yet - you ain't giving it house room.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, ICH Platinum Ambassador, Hyatt Platinum
Sorry to hear the bad news but I hope you will be reporting good news again very soon.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 5:40 pm
Community Director Emerita

For those who do not normally read our Community forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...hemist661.html
Old Oct 16, 2013, 8:51 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K

oh man, so sad. so sad indeed....thanks for letting us know on this thread.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 2:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K

I'm going to print out/provide a link to Marie (his wife) of this trip report thread as well as the RIP thread so that Marie can read condolences, best wishes, and know that chemist661 was held in high regard on FT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.