Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Flyertalk, travels, etc thru the "eyes" of a FTer having Stage 4 cancer (Part 1 of 4)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flyertalk, travels, etc thru the "eyes" of a FTer having Stage 4 cancer (Part 1 of 4)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2013, 11:20 am

Programs: UA Global Services
Thank you so much for sharing your journey. I don't often post, but your spirit and determination made me smile.

Wishing you many more journeys over many more years...
Old Mar 22, 2013, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for your report. You sound really happy. Keep strong and keep travelling.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by heraclitus
You are the man, chemist661... so many awesome experiences and happy memories.
I couldn't say it any better.

Bobette
Old Mar 22, 2013, 6:40 pm

Thanks for the stories. Great experiences. Wishing you well.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 7:04 pm

Programs: FT
Keep up the fight. I have no idea how tough this is for you. My dad has been through lots of chemotherapy after the last 6 years. I know it sucks and I have no idea how bad it is either. Just keep up the fight. Nice to read this.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 7:33 pm

Programs: United 1K,MM
Originally Posted by chemist661
Summer/Fall 2011: I had the first stages of cancer but I didn't realize it. I was flying all over when I wasn't managing 4 rental houses 90 miles away, working full time, being married & doing lots of cheap, fun traveling!!!

To be brief, I had HMO insurance (I could write a "book" on my dislike of HMO's and the horrible insurance experiences but I will spare the details in this thread---you can find throughout FT where I wrote bits & pieces on my horrible HMO!!). I have PPO for 2013 and my medical care has been superb for 2013.

From July 2011 to Sept 2011, I went to urgent care 2x & my primary care Dr 2x. They told me I just had a fungus & I took more trips. (Austria/Germany/Switzerland, Hawaii, long weekends around the USA, etc)It took a 80 yr old local Dentist on in mid Oct 2011 to raise suspension of tongue cancer and referred to a dental oral surgeon. I paid cash for his opinion (<$100 as I was maxed out on the dental side) and got a referral to an ENT (neck surgeon). 9 days later, my biopsy of my tongue confirmed it was cancer. There was fungus under the tongue but as I found out the Dr's missed the cancer part of the tongue.

I was in alot of pain so I worked at my job as long as possible. I took OTC pain pills during the day and narcotic pain pills when I wasn't driving to/from work. I LOVED my job and I had the wisdom to work as long as possible to preserve my sick/vacation time. I wanted to work and got the OK to work a lighter workload due to my pain. I can manage pain very well and I worked until days before my Dec 22, 2011 head/neck surgery.

To not write a book, I will post a timeline of events of cancer & travels.

Dec 22, 2011: Head/neck surgery (15 hrs!). 2 week hospital stay.
Jan/Feb 2012: recovery from surgery.
March/April 2012: Chemo (round 1) and head/neck radiation--35x.
May 2012 (mid): went back to work full time
July 2012: PET Scan showed 2 cm spot in rt lung
Sept 2012*: Lung biopsy on 9/23/12. *delay due to HMO! & bad Oncologist
December 2012: Worked to 12/17/12. 1st chemo (round 2), rt hip/rt leg radiation
Dec 2012/Jan 2013: 7 day hospital stay due to pneumonia.
Jan 2013-late Feb 2013: Chemo #2 & 3.
March 2013: Hip fracture in San Diego (100 miles from home). Hospital stay 3/2 to 3/11. I was one of 2 out of 500 hip fracture cases that went from hospital direct to home w/o rehab. The other person was an athlete in his 20's and I will turn 55 in June.

I did alot of travels in spite of my cancer. During my cancer, I flew alot on award tickets to visit relatives in Michigan. I was cleared by the Doctors to attend the Chicago Seminars in 2011 & 2012. Although being Plat/Exec Plat on AA was excellent, my recent focus is getting better so I can travel again. Even with cancer and my setbacks along the way, I remain positive. Always have, alway will remain positive.

There were times that my Doctors told my wife I may not live very long (negative prognosis) but so far I kept active whenever possible!! When I injured my hip on 3/2, I walked over a mile from the Amtrak station to the hotel in DT San Diego. I injured my hip after resting for over an hour at the hotel. I fell going out walking 3 blocks for lunch.

I was on the path to recovery with keeping active and the Dr cleared me to fly in the 2nd/3rd weeks of chemo (round 2--Feb 2011). I was being cautious and haven't flown yet.

My hip injury on 3/2 is just another setback. I have my next chemo on on 3/25/13 (Monday) and only 4 more weeks until my hip heals up. I am doing as well as possible.

I am taking advantage of being on FT (and other blogs, etc) alot since I am not being able to drive and having to mostly stay at home. (Note: I do get out a few times to do necessary erands--ATM deposits, etc). I now have the best insurance my employer has and it cost us some $. Well worth it to keep me alive!!!

I have explored other threads (Milebuzz Mfg spend), CC threads, etc. I have learned from FT, MP & the various blogs on getting rewards from CC signups. for the time being, that has been my focus. Of course, my #1 focus is for my health!!!

I enjoy FT and reading other threads have been educational. I have tried to post what I know in other areas. (credit, Southwest CP by CC signups so my wife can travel w/me for free--SWA meet our short term needs as I may not be able to take transcons just yet!).

Bottom line: In spite of my advanced stages of cancer, my journey (travels, life, etc) have been alot of fun. FT taught me how to travel for very cheap/free. Attending the various DO's, travelling around the world for next to nothing, going in intl Biz/F has been superb!! I hope to "lick" this cancer by chemotherapy and be able to take to the skies again and see more of the world. I am a "born again" Christian and I am at peace. For me, my positive attitude comes from my faith. I have never put anyone down because of religion/politics. Never had put anyone down to my knowledge. (Note: If I had put someone down by mistake, I apologize in advance--not intentional!!) On FT, the wide variety of topics talked about is where it is at. For this old timer on FT, I became much informed about travels, plus other areas and for that I am thankful!!!

I hope you enjoy reading about my life's journey and I am praying I will have alot more time to enjoy my remaining time on this earth. I am hoping to read alot more FT in my future!!!

Thank you for reading my trip report series!!!
Thank You for sharing your story. I am an Oncology Nurse and work in a very busy infusion center administering Chemo all day long. I love my job and love the patients I work with, they are the best. I will say a positive attitude is probably the best medicine anyone can have and I am thrilled to hear that you have that. On my down time my favorite thing to do is travel, and travel I do. I have been 1K for the last 5 years and will reach 1 million miles this month on UA. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 8:20 pm

Programs: All of Them
Thank You for sharing your story!!!! best of luck; i'm sure we'll see you on FT many years to come!
Old Mar 22, 2013, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K , SPG Platinum , Hyatt Diamond , Marriot Gold , BW Diamond , Hertz PC
Thanks for sharing. Will meet you someday
Old Mar 23, 2013, 12:43 am

Programs: Dime con quien andas,y te dire quien eres
As we all pass through life,and in the later years, very few will say, "I wish I had not traveled so much".
The internet and Flyertalk allows for us a richer,fuller life.
Good to see you have partaken.

Best wishes for your full recovery.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 6:15 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, United Silver, National Exec
Godspeed, Chemist661!
Old Mar 23, 2013, 9:08 am

Programs: UA MM
Thanks for sharing your story. I wish you everything good for your recovery. I hope you get your butt in that seat and get in the air again. I've learned in getting through illness of my own that when you're facing really bad stuff, it sure helps clarify what is important to you in life!

I started traveling much younger than you, bumming around Africa overland and back and forth along the old "hippie trail" across western Asia and the Indian subcontinent, but started flying late in life. I thought I knew it all, until I met FT. Wow, as you say, what an eye opener. Like you, I've gotten so much, and I, too, became the "goto guy" at work for travel info (though I know little compared to the gurus here). I enjoyed seeing parallels in your experience and mine.

All the best to you!!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 10:55 am

Programs: Lots of them, no status
Sending you good health vibes. I wanted to let you know that your post has captivated me on a number of levels:

1. As a fellow travel buff, I love hearing of others' travels. I wish you many more enjoyable trips in the future.

2. I work at a cancer research organization, so cancer is a subject that is important to me. I can't wait for the day when no one has to go through the medical procedures you've had to endure.

3. My son has the kinds of delays with speech and such s you described yourself having as a young child. It was extremely heartwarming, affirming, and reassuring to hear of someone finding such independence and fulfillment despite the rocky start. I can only wish for the same for my child, so thank you for the little piece of hope.

Thank you for sharing. Again, wishing you good health and many years to come.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 11:40 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Thanks Chemist661 for your report. I hope your fight with cancer is successful so you have many more trips to take.

So, we all know you are a govt chemist. What does the 661 stand for in your sn?
Old Mar 23, 2013, 2:18 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Thank you for that. I've mentioned recently to a few other members how fortunate we are to have lived everyday richly and not put off travels and other wonders that make life so special. I know too many people who waited to truly live until it was too late. I wish you all the best.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 2:49 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
To take a phrase from Auntie Mame "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death". You are living the banquet. May your table be full for a long time to come.

thanks for the posts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.