Venezia

Venezia

Venezia

Venezia

Venezia

Venezia

Venezia

Venezia

Balogna. The drive from Padua to Bologna was short and uncomplicated. We made no stop along the way as it was raining cats and dogs. GPS guided correctly toward the Sheraton Bologna Hotel & Conference Center. Early check-in was no issue. Once again we received room upgrade. The room was big but slightly dated. Everything functional and clean. We stayed here on points. This property is located near the airport. It offers free shuttle to/from airport, and to/from downtown Bologna (near the Cathedral) & train station. Other than that, there was absolutely nothing near the hotel.

We never saw the sun during our entire stay in Bologna. Packed with rain gears and we toured the town and devoured local cuisine. One of the two famous towers was under wrap (renovation). Piazza Maggiore was empty. No problem getting a table in some notable restaurants without reservation. The Bologna experience could have been better, had it not been for the constant rain. Local cuisine lived up to its reputation. I snapped a shot of a sign that screamed “Italy is Eataly”. Since eating is a good part of travel goal, in that sense our mission was accomplished.

Bologna

Bologna

Bologna

Driving to Orvieto, Umbria. Early morning after breakfast, we headed out to Orvieto. After 45 minutes of cruising at speed limit in the rain (again), we came to a complete halt. In the next 90 minutes, we inched forward and passed hundreds of trucks (all trucks were in park and drivers smoking or on the phone). Suddenly vehicles up front were picking up speed again. We did not see any evidence of accident or road construction. Mystery remained unsolved.

Enroute to Orvieto, Umbria

Orvieto. By now, the weather had improved from rain to cloudiness to partly sunny. The Duomo was gorgeous, so was the valley below. In the evening, we dined at Antico Bucchero, a refined restaurant with perfect service. We arrived at 20:00, and were the only customers (we should know it by now). We came here by recommendation of our B&B owner. By 20:30, the place was almost full. Wild boar and rabbit were our favorites, along with some pasta and local wine.

Orvieto, Umbria

Orvieto, Umbria

Orvieto, Umbria

Orvieto, Umbria

Orvieto, Umbria - restaurant

Orvieto, Umbria - dinner

Orvieto, Umbria - dinner

Orvieto, Umbria - dinner

Up next Part 7
Old Sep 17, 2012, 2:21 am

amazing trip report, keep it coming!
Old Sep 17, 2012, 6:50 am

Programs: AA, SPG
I'm so jealous
Old Sep 17, 2012, 7:47 am

Programs: AA EXPLT
That's it. I'm going to Alaska next year.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Sahcurity
Kingfisher isn't a OW airline, so you actually don't have any right to enter the lounge.

Great photos btw, enjoying the report!
I recall the now bk Kingfisher was part of ow when I flew.

Glad you enjoy reading. Thanks.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vecta
amazing trip report, keep it coming!
Thanks.
Working on the next part. Will post ASAP.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by akersnl
That's it. I'm going to Alaska next year.
You will not regret for being there. We plan to return next summer.

Originally Posted by Tony3021990
I'm so jealous
^

Thanks for reading.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 2:35 pm

Programs: LX, AZ, BA, LH, SA
That's a brilliant report. Keep it coming!
You've seen way more of my home country than I have!
Old Sep 17, 2012, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by allset2travel
I recall the now bk Kingfisher was part of ow when I flew.

Glad you enjoy reading. Thanks.
You recall incorrectly sadly. Kingfisher was never a Oneworld airline, they collapsed days before their official entrance and OW suspended their application. Very sad to see them collapse, OW needs an Indian and certainly a China-based carrier (CX isn't cutting it).

LINK.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sahcurity
You recall incorrectly sadly. Kingfisher was never a Oneworld airline, they collapsed days before their official entrance and OW suspended their application. Very sad to see them collapse, OW needs an Indian and certainly a China-based carrier (CX isn't cutting it).

LINK.
I stand corrected. Thanks.
Good thing I didn't press it as I was declined entry.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 1:40 am
Original Poster

100-days & 500-photos: my oneworld DONE3 Adventures

Part 7

Driving to FCO to return car. The supposedly short drive (from Orvieto to FCO) became a challenge as we got stuck in traffic at the intersection of A90 and A91. It took over 1 hour to cover 3 km distance, due to traffic jam. Filled up the gas tank near the airport and finally made it to the airport. Rental car was returned in good order. We hopped in a taxi to our next hotel, the Courtyard Rome Central Park, another hotel that is far from the city center.

Roma. Why not a hotel in center city? Simply the issue of value, comfort and convenience. I figured I saved more than €700 for the one week stay. Nice room upgrade, daily free breakfast buffet and free internet access (these came with being PLT with Marriott). The hotel was (is) five minute walk from the train station. From there one can get connected to the city’s network of public buses, trams and metro. We bought a day-pass from the hotel each morning, and off we went to the eternal city.
We love Roma and this marked our 4th visit in recent years. We concentrated on the Vatican, and some neighborhoods like Trastevere & Testaccio. We combed through the Vatican in 3 visits in as many days: all the museums, Basilica di San Pietro, including climbing up to the Cupola. Up there, you will be rewarded with a fantastic panoramic view of the city! Be prepared for tight standing rooms only.
Off season is a misnomer for Roma. I think Roma’s tourist season is 12 months a year! We love this eternal city.
We went out every night and found it to be as crowded as daytime. We enjoyed this trip even more than before.

Roma – the Colosseo

Roma - Pantheon

Roma – Parco della Musica

Roma – Piazza di Spagna

Roma – Piazza Barberini

Roma – villa Borghesse

Roma – Fontana de Trevi

Roma – Piazza Navona

Roma – Piazza Navona

Roma – Piazza della Republica

Roma – Sidewalk cafes in Trastevere

Roma – Alter in a church (?) in Trastevere

Roma – St Pietro dome from hotel balcony

Vatican – Piazza St Pietro

Vatican – Spiral staircase

Vatican – Sistine Chapel ceiling

Vatican – Sistine Chapel

Up next Part 7A
Old Sep 18, 2012, 1:44 am
Original Poster

Part 7A

Few more images from the eternal city, Roma.

Vatican – Staircase

Vatican – inside courtyard

Vatican – the dome of St Pietro

Vatican – Prayer inside St Pietro

Vatican – panoramic view from St Pietro dome

One day before our departure, we reserved a private limo for the airport via the hotel. Limo fee was charged to the room (only €5 more than normal taxi fare).
Next morning when I was checking out, a black S-Class MBZ pulled up. The driver helped with our luggage, and off we went. The driver took us through a quiet road (traffic wise) and in no time we were in FCO, avoiding potential traffic jams on the bad section of the motorway. We flew AY to Helsinki this morning.

FCO-HEL
AY3244, F, A321
Seats: 3A & 3C
First class on this flight was nothing much to write home about. The middle seat was blocked with a sign that said “Complimentary Seat Enjoy!”. Service was friendly and timely. The food was ok. Arrival was on time.

Helsinki. This was our first visit here. Today being a public holiday, many businesses including the markets were closed. Bummer! Really wanted to see the Old Market by the waterfront, but it was not to be. Well, this could be the excuse for a return visit (ha, ha, ha !!).
We walked the Senate Square area, Explored the White Cathedral, orthodox cathedral, the waterfront and the esplanade. Did all the touristy things, all in freezing weather. We passed by the KarlFazer Café and decided to do the lunch buffet. We did not expect much. To our pleasant surprise, the food was really good in quality and the selection was huge. The place was swamped with people. Finally, after crusing around looking for a place to sit, we found a tiny 2-seater next to a young couple. Anyway, we seldom pass an opportunity to strike up a friendly conversation with this couple. They spoke flawless English. In a short 20 minutes, we covered travel, world economic, business, social changes to politics. Nice friendly people.

We split the Helsinki stay between 2 Hiltons. No, we were not on a mattress-run. First the Strand for a couple of nights and the final night at the Hilton HEL due to an early morning flight. I had no status with Hilton, and did not expect much. Both hotels were up to my expected standard of being well-appointed, clean and friendly services. A harbor view room in the Strand was a great treat. On Sunday morning, we noted the market near the Strand was in full swing, albeit an overcast, windy and cold day. We told ourselves that we need to return during warmer clime and include some day trip to Tallinn by boat (told you we had excuses).

About the Hilton HEL: This is a fantastic airport hotel. It is a short walk from the airport T2/T1 (about 7 minutes to T2). Hotel looked new and modern. Very large room with plenty of closet/storage space (the most that I have seen in a Hilton property). Bath room set up was spacious and functional. Clean and good looking. The bloody bathroom floor was HEATED! (being so close to the north pole?). Breakfast buffet was fantastic. Plenty of food to match your fancy, and the quality was fine. Plus attentive service. Normal service hours were from 6am to 10am. But if you needed to check-out earlier than that to catch your flight, you could have continental breakfast in another room from 03:30 to 06:00. You will be in the company of many flight crews in that room at that time.
This airport property reminds me of Hilton MAD in features and comfort (not in distance to airport though).

Helsinki

Helsinki

Helsinki

Helsinki

Helsinki

Helsinki

Helsinki

HEL-xLHR
AY831, F, A321
Seats: 2A & 2C
The night before this flight, we were able to drop off our bags with the AY desk in the airport. They were checked through to DXB (via LHR), our final destination of the DONE3. This worked out real well as our flight was scheduled for 08:00 departure. It was simply nice to just carry a backpack while strolling over to T2. A side note here. I found the AY staff in the airport friendly and knowledgeable in terms of service for the ow elites.
On flight day and post breakfast, we walked from hotel to the terminal at 06:30. We cleared security and custom/immigration via “priority access” really fast. Headed straight to the AY Lounge (near Gate 36 in T2). This lounge looked clinically clean. Sat and relaxed over coffee while waiting for our flight AY831. This flight was quick and uneventful. So now we were in LHR.

Brief visit to London city center. By design, we had a 10-hour layover in London. Enough time to “train” (the tube) out to the city. It was a great way to catch up with friends or sight-see. Since we have been to London dozens of times in recent years, now we were content with spending only a few hours to see/do specific things. This was a great way to avoid having to stop-over (more than 24 hours) and circumvent the heavy-handed APD taxes.

Few images form London on this breif visit.

LHR-DXB
BA109 Club Exec, 773ER
Seats: 11A & 11B

We had a splendid time in the city. We took the tube back to LHR by 17:30. Visited both BA Galleries A and B in T5. We liked B better than A as it was less crowded at that time. Took a slow shower and a change of cloth. After that, we still have a little bit of time to check out the AA Admirals Club. We enjoyed a tonic water & club soda (50/50 mix without ice, a great refreshing drink) and some snack. Checked email online before the red-eye to DXB.

LHR – BA Galleries

LHR – BA Galleries

LHR – BA Galleries

LHR – AA Admirals Club, T3

LHR – AA Admirals Club, T3

BA's in flight service was ok, but nothing to rave about. The crew did their job mechanically, but did not show much interest in the passengers whom they served. We ordered 2 beef steaks. One was too well done, and the other was quite good. Breakfast fruits were not fresh looking/tasting. I liked the flat bed and slept well in it. For larger built people, they may find it a bit too narrow. Plenty of length though. Amenity kit was standard sans pj.. I noted that the business cabin was not even half full. At landing, this flight marked the end of the oneworld DONE3 itinerary. We had several days here in Dubai and expected to roam around the city wherever public transit took us.

Up next Part 7B
Old Sep 18, 2012, 1:49 am
Original Poster

Part 7B

Dubai. First visit here. Arrived DXB at 08:20. Like most things in Dubai, the airport looks very modern. Hit the ATM for some local cash before passport control. There were several young men wearing uniform T-shirt (with “May I Help You” printed on it) standing by to assist arriving visitors. They were English speaking and real friendly. “No entry visa was needed for visitation of less than 30 days”, one young man said to us. No stamping passport on entry either.
We took a taxi (52 Dhs) to the hotel (Four Points by Sheraton, Bur Dubai). We waited for 1 hour before our room was ready. No problem, I took that spare time to catch up with my journal. We got a room on the executive floor. There is no concierge lounge. Top floor is 8th.
We started the day at 11:00 after we unloaded our stuff in the room. We went for breakfast in the nearby mall. Local food of grilled chicken and lamb, wrapped with veggies. Food was quite delicious and inexpensive.

Dubai

Dubai

Dubai

Dubai

Dubai

Dubai

Dubai

Dubai

Dubai

Dubai

Dubai

Dubai

Dubai

Dubai

We bought a day-pass for 16 Dhs to use on the metro & bus that can be topped up daily for 14 Dhs.. With almost a week here, we toured all the tourist centric places: the marina, Dubai Mall, the needle, Burj Khalifa, gold souk, spice souk, fish market and Dubai Creek. We did miss the mosques. Truly impressed by the modern, clean and efficient metro system. Not to mention it was cheap also. We entered inside a first class metro car (for women and children only?) by mistake. The “concierge” gracefully told us to move to the next car, because we could be fined.

This long trip had been fun, enjoyable, educational, tiring, and addictive (I am sorry for borrowing this word w/o the consent from Moomba). Like they say, “All nice things must come to an end”. Sometimes I question it with a “Why?”
Based on the following statistics, I would not have to fly much to qualify for EXP based on EQPs (as it turned out, I did make EXP shortly after the completion of this RTW with additional travel on AA). Thanks for reading. Comments and questions are welcome. Happy and safe travel, everyone!

Final statistics (to the best of my knowledge):
Ex-AMM-DONE3 RTW:
Total BIS miles = 51,674
Total elite bonus miles = 51,674
Total class-of-service bonus miles = 12,920
Grand total RDM = 116,268
Grand total DONE3 EQP = 77,511

Positioning flights (SFO-xORD-AMM) = 8,082 plus elite bonus miles 8,082
Positioning return home flights (DXB-xLHR-xDFW-SFO) = 9,634 plus elite bonus miles 9,634
Side trip LAX-SFO-LAX on AA = 1,000 (500 mile min guaranty)

Hotel experience:
· Most unique ambiance and environment – Linden Center, Xizhou, Dali, Yunnan.
· Most friendly services – SpringHill Anchorage University Lake.
· Most luxurious – Marriott Jordan Valley Dead Sea Resort & Spa.
· Most under-rated and unknown hotel – Marriott Nanning. JW quality at Courtyard prices.

Airline experiences (J or D cabin):
· Best in hard product/food/service: QF A380
· Second best in hard product/service: CX888 (food has room for improvement)
· Best in service by FAs: AA (on the DFW-ANC flight)
· Worst in service by FAs: other AA flights except the above. (note: AA crew did not need to do much to please me and get a thumb-up. Simply be friendly, engaging, attentive and smile while performing the service.)

END OF REPORT
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:01 pm

Programs: NH Plat, AA Gold
Excellent trip report. Enjoyed the prose and the photos. Good balance. Thank you.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 1:25 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Enjoyed the whole TR as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.