Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Popping my First Class cherry on my BAby, 3 States, 3 Parks, Oh and a Mustang!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Popping my First Class cherry on my BAby, 3 States, 3 Parks, Oh and a Mustang!

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2012, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Arizona doesn't observe daylight saving time, so for part of the year it's in the same time zone as California & Nevada, then for the rest the same zone as Utah & New Mexico.
Thank you
Old May 7, 2012, 9:02 am

Beautiful Grand Canyon pictures!
Old May 7, 2012, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by noniron
Thank you
You're welcome! That photo at the end of your last post - is that the BW in Parumph? (sp??) Cracking balcony for $75 if it was! Brings back fond memories of the big road trip the now wife and I did over 10 years back*. Can't imagine our kids buying into the idea until they're old enough to drive however so suspect we'll never get to repeat the adventure.

* - except we flew each way in United economy, managing to wrangle a VDB package on the way back to include an upgrade to business. Hardly BA first, but it was still fun.
Old May 8, 2012, 2:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by infamousdx
Beautiful Grand Canyon pictures!
Thank you, credit goes to Mrs Noniron! I'm rubbish!
Old May 8, 2012, 2:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
You're welcome! That photo at the end of your last post - is that the BW in Parumph? (sp??) Cracking balcony for $75 if it was! Brings back fond memories of the big road trip the now wife and I did over 10 years back*. Can't imagine our kids buying into the idea until they're old enough to drive however so suspect we'll never get to repeat the adventure.

* - except we flew each way in United economy, managing to wrangle a VDB package on the way back to include an upgrade to business. Hardly BA first, but it was still fun.
That was a view of the Merced river from the Blue Butterfly Inn Yosemite, working on the Yosemite part today!
Old May 8, 2012, 3:53 am
Original Poster

Yosemite

Hotel: Blue Butterfly Inn cost $270 per night

I haven't posted pictures of any of the hotels we used as they were all pretty generic chains and all of them provided us with everything we expected but this place is a little bit different and therefore worthy of a mention in its own right. When researching the hotels for our journey I can tell you like everyone else planning a trip like this, a lot of time is spent on Tripadvisor or similar hotel websites and all the accommodation I was finding for the Yosemite area was either overpriced or of poor quality and more often than not a combination of both. When I came across the Blue Butterfly Inn in El Portal it was everything I had been looking for.

It is a B&B and I did have some unfounded reservations about not staying in a hotel but this place is totally unlike my preconceptions of B&B accommodation based on my youthful experiences in the UK and Ireland! The Inn is surrounded by a large hotel complex as described by reviewers on Tripadvisor but do not let this be an issue for you as it is all about the amazing view on river front part of the house and anyway the hotel facilities next door provide a very welcoming bar area, a restaurant and a pizza joint.

How to describe the Blue Butterfly? Well, in the lounge area of the house it is like visiting your favourite Aunts house!, the fire is lit, there is always a fresh pot of tea on the table and the cookie jar is full of treats! In the bedroom (the 'Lotus' room) however the feel is completely different, it is like staying in a suite in a boutique hotel, the quality and ambiance of the room is created with art deco hints and the view over river makes it one of the best rooms I've ever stayed in.

The hosts Ron and Liz are fountain of knowledge of the Yosemite area and will guide you through all the activities and sights based on what you would like to see and do during your visit to the park.

The 'Lotus' room Blue Butterfly Inn

Old May 8, 2012, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Yosemite National Park

The awe inspiring beauty of Mother Nature......

Nothing that I could put into words can describe just how gorgeous this park is, I hope you enjoyed the pictures.

With our road trip coming to an end all that's left is a spin back to SFO and return the Mustang back to her owners, I really enjoyed this car and am glad that I ended up with a hard top as the convertible over such distances would have become tiresome.

Total miles driven 2,400

Next up the return flight BA286 Old First Class
Old May 8, 2012, 7:38 am

Programs: AA EXP
Excellent report noniron, makes we want to plan a road trip out west.
Old May 8, 2012, 7:48 am

Programs: A few
Truly fabulous trip report, with excellent quality photographs. Very enjoyable to read and watch and certainly makes me think of heading out west again to enjoy

You are right about 1a/k. I picked 1k as a solo traveler on my recent trip and found that it was just too close to 1a. It was not bothersome at all, but in future I'll stick with 2a or 2k as preferred choice if solo. And lucky you to get new first!
Old May 8, 2012, 8:59 am

Programs: Scotia Points, Aeroplan, Nexus, Global Entry
Great TR with some amazing photos, thanks for sharing.
Old May 8, 2012, 10:28 am

Great photos with excellent demonstration. Hope that it was an enjoyable trip for you as it was enjoyable for me to read.
Old May 8, 2012, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by noniron
and so the 'ding dong' was pressed, the offending items removed and a large whisky duly delivered.
LOL. gotta love that british humor.

(non-british here)
Old May 9, 2012, 4:20 am
Original Poster

British Airways 286

SFO-LHR 16th April

So, it was time to head for home, our final drive had taken us from Yosemite to SFO on a route suggested to us by Liz from the Blue Butterfly and in no time at all we were whizzing through Silicon Valley towards the airport. I'd read about a burger chain called In n Out in other forums here on FlyerTalk and really wanted to try one on this trip but didn't get the chance as Mrs Noniron has a particular aversion to fast food joints in general! and anyway there never seemed to be one in the right place at the right time! However it was luchtime and we had made good time on the road when I spotted that big yellow arrow beckoning us as we passed by the McAfee and Ebay buildings in the valley. Time for a pitstop, and what did I think? Pretty good concept actually, a simple no gimmicks menu and a great burger with tasty fries, I liked it and glad we stopped.

Terraces Lounge SFO

We entered the lounge just as the early flight to LHR was boarding with a 747 fitted with new First awaiting them and took some comfy chairs by the window in the Club World section, there really isn't any difference to the small First class ante room and anyway it looked a bit claustrophobic in there.

Our ride to LHR without the window blanks so it is going to be old First!

Lounge drinks

The lounge while nothing fancy was quite pleasant and it was great to sit down with a glass of Jameson and catch up with the home newspaper stories in the UK press, the lounge staff made regular runs offering crudités and iceream sundaes which is a nice touch me thinks.

The best bit about this lounge and it has been mentioned many times in previous reports is the ability to board directly from the lounge and with our flight ready to board it was time to get my first look at an old First cabin and I was again excited, a lucky boy to experience both versions of the British Airways First class product on my first First!

The view from 2K

As a result of the direct boarding we all arrived in the cabin at the same time but it quickly became apparent to me that 1A and K hadn't been taken, I had checked online at T72 and again at the check-in desk but couldn't snag them so while everyone else was settling in to their seats I asked 'M' who would turn out to be one the best crew members I've flown with if they were available and after a quick check of the manifest she told us 1A and K were no shows, BINGO! Mr and Mrs Noniron welcome to the best seats in the house!

Last edited by noniron; May 11, 2012 at 6:13 am
Old May 9, 2012, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

The crew on this flight in the F cabin were led by 'M' and her team all of whom including the CSD hailed from Scotland, and, boy were they good!

The CSD came round to introduce herself pre-departure with i-pad in hand just as 'M' was settling us in with a glass of fizz from our seats 2K and 3K into row 1, I'm still waiting to meet the CSD from our outbound flight though I'm sure someone threw a US Customs form at me at some stage!

Chasing a Virgin home to bed!

Pics from 1K on the climb out from SFO

That night the cabin took on the atmosphere of a Scottish country house, imagine being pampered in a secret castle hidden away in the Highlands, now dwell on that thought for a moment, isn't that an image to warm the cockles of anyone's heart, the only thing missing....... a glowing log fire in the closet between 1A and K and our crew in their kilts!

Dinner

Poached Lobster and Pommery mustard dressing with a glass of Meursault Les Clous 2008

Braised rack of veal with truffle demi-glace and a glass of Bordeaux Chateau Camensac 2005

A little portion of Truffle Camembert (I like to eat the French way of fromage before pudding!)

Chocolate bread pudding with ice-cream and another glass of the Coteaux du Layon

With the repas complete, what else is there to enjoy in a First class cabin on a night flight? Yes of course, let's get ready for bed.

As 'M' finished clearing my dinning table she asked in soft Mid Lothian accent.....
“Shall I make up your bed Mr Noniron, is there anything else I can bring you, a little night cap perhaps?

“Oh 'M' that would be great, a large Malt would be just be the thing”

When I returned from the bathroom my seat had been turned into a bed complete with mattress, pillow and a very nice quilt and as I snuggled in the male purser working Mrs Nonirons side, again another softly spoken Scot approached with an 18 year old Glenlivet.....

“Nice to see you settling in for the night with a nice Malt Mr Noniron, enjoy”

Honestly you couldn't make it up! I felt like saying to them, let's not end this night, if I throw another log in that fire burning in the closet shall we break out a couple bottles and have a 'hooley'!

Bed time........zzzzzzz

Sleep time, that's why you are tucked up in First after all isn't it? Well for me that night it just didn't happen, it isn't that I didn't have any sleep I just dozed, but in a contented way, I think that I was thinking about seeing my girls in the morning AKA les enfants, we'd had webcams but it was time for big hug! Ahhh! Now take look at the next photo, you'll have to look closely though as it's very dark in old F mid Atlantic, sometime during the night the crew tidied our slippers by the closet, my fireplace....

Morning

I'm not the greatest breakfast eater in the world straight after awakening and just asked for some pastries and tea while Mrs Noniron tucked into the full English which looked great by the way (with a fully cooked sausage) if that means nothing to you go and search the BAEC forum for Hiddys sausage!

Morning breaking in the cabin with a coffee.....

And so as I ended the outbound flight report that was that! The end of our tour was coming to an end and into the bowels of the T5 immigration process we went (and all UK airports at the moment, as being heavily discussed on the BAEC forum) and the First experience was well and truly over as we made our way to T1 for the EI flight back to BFS.

If you have been following this from the start you'll know that this had been all about getting everyone back to Belfast at the same time, and how did it work out?.....brilliantly......all flights came in on time and after the EZ arrived from CDG it was big hugs for our girls, Mamie and Papi France and of course Nanny and Granda Noniron!

That's all folks.....

Now I leave you fellow FlyerTalkers with this TR, our journey is over for this trip and hopefully there will be many more to come!

If anyone is planning something similar please feel to post and ask or PM

G

Last edited by noniron; May 11, 2012 at 6:18 am
Old May 9, 2012, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Great trip report, I really enjoyed both the prose and the pics!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.