Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Popping my First Class cherry on my BAby, 3 States, 3 Parks, Oh and a Mustang!

Old May 4, 2012, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC

My goodness it seems that we are being spoiled with reports from the west coast of America over the Easter break, thank you to Spymon and Lighting for your TR's, I wonder if our paths crossed during the trips?

Working title for this report 'Johnny Blue in the CCR, breakfast of Champions!'

But as the trip involved so much more than wallowing in the luxury of the CCR I've decided to post under something a lot more long winded!

PREAMBLE (please feel free to skip my self indulgent rambling thoughts!)

So many times I've made that long, long walk towards whY with my head bowed, glancing enviously at those in J, already seated, sipping a glass of champagne and preparing their personal space for the 10 hours of flight time ahead, “jaysus I'd swap ya big lad” I'd mumble to myself as I continued the walk of envy.

I have been lucky enough to experience business class on a number of carriers in the past, some paid for, others on points or an odd op-up and even blagged a few! Though turning up at check in dressed in a shirt and tie when booked whY and flashing your BA Blue card and a cheeky smile aimed at the check-in lady whilst uttering the words “I normally fly British Airways but have been thinking of changing airlines, by the way do you happen to have anything in business available today?” hasn't worked since 1991!

But this time I wanted to fly First, I wanted to lie up in my seat drinking champagne in my pyjamas, I wanted Johnny Blue available on tap for 10 hours, I wanted to experience the food the wine, the seat.... it was a passion and desire burning inside me!..... and as I don't fly for work purposes and there is no way I could afford to pay for it I had to start being a little bit more proactive in earning points for my BA miles account.

With great advice gained from the BAEC forum here on FlyerTalk my miles balance was soon brimming and armed with enough points and an Amex 2-4-1, it was time to start planning a trip!

PLANNING

One lazy Sunday morning (read hungover in my case!) in September Mrs Noniron and I started checking availability to anywhere, yes anywhere! You have to be flexible I'd learned on the BA board! But for us it did need to be over the Easter school break as les enfants Noniron would be on a visit to France to see Mamie and Papi.

First class availability was patchy around our dates, it was Easter after all, but one flight that did work out perfectly was LHR-SFO-LHR and that suited us just fine as it would be a long enough to experience all the delights of First and allow us to create a holiday that neither of us had done before....the California Road Trip!

I am going to include approximate costings in this TR if it helps others plan.

So after hitting my BA Amex for 960 in charges, cashing in 150,000 BA miles as they were then known and redeeming a 2-4-1 my first First was booked and it felt great!

Now we had the challenge of getting Mrs Noniron and the girls to France with both of us meeting up in the CCR on the 4th of April (I've always wanted to say to Mrs Noniron I'll see you in Concorde room darling!) in time for BA287 and everyone back to BFS on the 17th April at the same time!

We got Mrs Noniron and les enfants booked on EI DUB-CDG on the 31st March with Mrs Noniron CDG-LHR on BA 4th April and myself on EI BFS-LHR with us both returning on the 17th LHR-BFS and Mamie and Papi with the girls on EZ CDG-BFS, so far so good!

Now what is the first thing you have to do when planning a road trip?.... Yes that's right! Go on amazon and buy a big map, open a bottle of 'chteau delirious' pour a big glass and then realise just how big America actually is!

Over many nights of route planning the vin rouge quickly gave way to Bushmills and in a moment of clarity a road trip that would take us from San Francisco to Los Angeles down the Pacific Coast Highway, from Los Angeles to Las Vegas, the Grand Canyon to Yosemite via Death Valley and back to San Francisco in just 12 days was born!

4th April BFS-LHR-SFO
5th April SFO
6th April SFO-PCH to San Simeon
7th April San Simeon to LAX
8th April LAX
9th April LAX-LAS
10th April LAS
11th April LAS-Grand Canyon
12th April Grand Canyon
13th April Grand Canyon to Pahrump
14th April Pahrump to Yosemite via Death Valley
15th April Yosemite
16th April Yosemite to SFO-LHR
17th April LHR-BFS

Of course to do this I was going to need a car and the only car I wanted was a Mustang, might be a bit clichd I know but I didn't want a compact or an SUV it had to be a Mustang! With a visit to avisba.com a convertible Mustang (or similar) was booked for 330 inc all insurance excesses and Mrs Noniron as an additional driver. This was by far the best rate I could get and I could have used BA miles to pay for the 'tang but the conversion rate really undervalued the points in my opinion.

THE TRIP

BFS-LHR-SFO

I hate early morning flights, period. There is nothing natural about getting up in the dark to catch an early flight no matter what luxuries await later in the day.....

My mood that morning however was good though and my parents kindly shared my early morning awakening and offered to make the short 30 mins drive to BFS and drop me off for the Aer Lingus flight to LHR and it was at that moment I decided NOT to do a TR, shock horror, I know! I had been planning a TR for ages then bottled it right there and then, standing outside Belfast International Airport having a quick fag before going through security. I couldn't bring myself to take all those pictures, wouldn't have time to put it all together, just want to enjoy the journey, couldn't write anything of value for fellow travellers etc., that's right I talked myself out of it.

So if you want to know what a BFS-LHR domestic hop on Aer Lingus is like I'll tell you....

It's a 1hour flight on a green and white A320 with blue leather seats and buy on board catering and as far as LCC's go they are quite good!

How easy is it to transit T1 to T5 at Heathrow? Very, go outside and have a quick smoke, go back inside, go down a level, get on the HEX, go up a level, go outside and have another smoke, go back inside and onwards to the BA First check-in area, easy!

I found the First check-in very well organised and professional, everyone I came in contact with were both polite and charming, so with boarding card in hand for 2K and knowing that Mrs Noniron had just checked in 2A at CDG it was off through Fast Track to the delights of the CCR.

Note to my fellow passengers in regard to Fast Track T5. If you are smart enough to have earned sufficient funds to pay for a premium seat on BA or you have proven yourself in your career that your company or client will pay for a premium seat or you've had the knowledge and intelligence to collect enough Avios then please please please prove to me that you have the brains to prepare for going through a standard airport security check. Fast Track was not a word that came into my head while people watching in the queue and it was nothing to do with the staff.

I knew to look out for the white door on the right and with a flash of my boarding card and deep breath I entered into to the serenity of the Concorde Lounge....

Breakfast fry up in the dining area

The jockeys view of that horse!

The terrace while waiting for Mrs Noniron

The CCR was simply fabulous and I could have easily enjoyed another few hours there, but with Mrs Nonirons massage ending and an empty champagne flute in front of me it was time to head to the C gates for boarding and I still didn't know if it would be NF or Old and didn't care because it would be new to me!

Boarding was well under way by the time we arrived at the gate and as we slipped down the priority lane passed the throng of people who in 5 mins would be making that long, long walk into whY I caught a glimpse of the tell tale blacked out windows on our 747, so my first First was going to be in NF and that suited me just fine!

Honestly, I was like a wee kid for the first few minutes as I absorbed the atmosphere of the cabin! In my seat, out of my seat, in my buddy seat, in Mrs Nonirons buddy seat and no I wouldn't have lunch in it and I'm only a 40 chest and 32 waist, window blind down, window blind up, seat down, seat up! Not joking! Couldn't help myself! But we were the first to enter the cabin and none of our fellow pax had joined us yet!

With amenity kit and pyjamas handed out it was time to relax with a wee glass of fizz as our cabin mates slowly joined us and I was genuinely curious to see the mix in BA F especially the glamorous gold card couple who had kept me locked out of 1A and K! But they turned out to be two rather plain male solo travellers who didn't speak to each other and strenuously avoided eye contact for 10 hours in two of the most intimate seats in the house, why a solo passenger would choose row 1 over row 2 I'll never understand but that's your privilege when you earn the status with the airline, an ego thing I guess.

My purser had introduced himself as 'R' during our pre departure champagne and get to know you chat and he mixed me a fabulously stiff G&T after take off as an aperitif while I perused the lunch menu and wine list.

Now I did warn you that I wasn't doing a TR so please excuse my lunch pics, they were intended for my eyes only......

Seared Scottish king scallop with broad bean puree and crispy porchetta with a glass of 2010 Sancerre

Wagyu beef burger with Monterey Jack cheese, gherkin and onion enjoyed with Landmark pinot noir from California

Raspberry and peach choux with caramelised peaches and peach syrup and fab Coteaux du Layon

Coffee and chocolates

Now I know that a hamburger while flying in First as a main course wouldn't be the most obvious of choices but it was selected purely for the novelty value and was actually very good but the star of the show was without a doubt was the pudding with a glass of the dessert wine.

Then things as regards to the service cabin deteriorated as 'R' left to go on his break and the crew looking after the cabin became invisible, this is my apperitif glass along with an empty wine glass and now near empty box of chocs an hour after the meal service had finished and no-one had been in the cabin since not even a cursory walk through.

Get this debris away it's blocking my view of Mrs Thatchers ankles!

If there is one thing I hate doing on any flight it is using the call bell, but the debris from lunch was becoming irksome and there was burning thirst building somewhere deep in my liver for a Johnny Blue and so the 'ding dong' was pressed, the offending items removed and a large whisky duly delivered.

A number of whiskies later and with a blister forming on my finger I'd worked out that this crew were re-active rather than pro-active but surely one of them would have noticed that they had a lush in 2K! Curled up in a first class cabin watching a movie with a glass of your favourite tipple in hand must be a true luxury and it was a moment that I was thoroughly enjoying!

Headset holder, knew that light had another purpose!

With 'R' back on duty things picked up again and a delicious 'afternoon tea' tea service was rounded off with a glass of Grand Siecle and that was that, my first First was coming to an end all too soon and with 'top of descent' looming it was time to get out of the jammies and back into the jeans while watching the amazing views on the approach into SFO.

Stay tuned as we journey around the American West and a return with a fantastic crew in 'old First'

The next part I'll post for you mostly pictorial as I'm sure you are ready for a break from my rambling thoughts and poor story telling and with Mrs Noniron now on photographic duties the quality of the images increases dramatically!

Last edited by noniron; May 15, 2012 at 2:41 pm Reason: typo
Old May 4, 2012, 3:59 pm

Well written and I am enjoying your trip report. But, please since you have signed off on photos, suggest to your wife: we need more photos!"

Thanks for posting. Looking forward to more.
Old May 5, 2012, 3:20 am
Original Poster

San Francisco

Hotel: Hyatt Fishermans Wharf $140 per night

Alcatraz

San Francisco was an amazing city to visit, one of those places that you instantly get a good feeling about, the atmosphere created by the people and the scenic backdrop combine wonderfully and it is a place that we will return to on another trip.

We did a city bus tour which was quite good at a cost of $35 pp after a bit of haggling and this included an hours cycle hire, if you are going to San Francisco and do want to go to Alcatraz please book your tickets in advance, the tour genuinely does sell out and there is only one official operator alcatrazcruises.com.
Old May 5, 2012, 3:29 am

Lots of great memories there! Looking forward to the rest.
Old May 5, 2012, 6:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Excellent report so far!

I flew LHR-SFO in F in December. I know exactly what you mean about the change in service when a member of crew takes a break. The purser serving me was very pro-active. I never had to ask for anything. When he took his break, the lady who took over was still lovely, but I did have to ask a few times for things.

Looking forward to the rest!
Old May 5, 2012, 6:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
A burger, in First???

Great TR noniron, especially as you decided not to do one. How are you finding it so far? I'm loving the photos too, the horse's view is a new one!

What camera do you use?
Old May 5, 2012, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by matthandy
A burger, in First???

Great TR noniron, especially as you decided not to do one. How are you finding it so far? I'm loving the photos too, the horse's view is a new one!

What camera do you use?
Finding it hard work! LOL

Bought a Sony NEXC3 for this trip which was a step up for us from a compact but didn't get a chance to play with it until the flight, so things improved as we went along!

Last edited by noniron; May 14, 2012 at 7:00 am
Old May 5, 2012, 6:45 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I really wish BA would sort out the inconsistent service issues with the crew in first.

Thanks for the report noniron. I am looking forward to the rest of your road trip. ^
Old May 5, 2012, 7:14 am
Original Poster

And so with our two nights at an end in that fabulous city it was time to head back to SFO and pick up the car! Now we all know when booking a car that the rental company does not guarantee a certain model, right, we as intrepid FlyerTalkers know that. However I had my heart set on doing this drive in a Mustang convertible, that is what I booked and paid for!

As we approached the desk my heart was beating a nervous rhythm and I had promised Mrs Noniron that if we were offered an 'or similar' that there wouldn't be any histrionics from me at the rental desk counter........

“Good morning Mr Noniron we have a Mitsubishi for you today” and with those words ringing in my ear it was time to remain calm and focused, deep breath, smile and lets get that Northern Irish charm working......

Now 'L' was a lovely lady and I'm sure she deals with this everyday, “have you got anything else? I'd really like to have the Mustang” and with some tapping on her keyboard came “I can let you have a Volvo for the same price”
“'L' do you know how many Volvo's there are at home, thousands, it has to be American”
“let me have a quick chat with our manager.......Mr. Noniron we can do you a Camaro discounted to an extra $20 per day, how does that sound?”
Well it was music to my ears, a proper all American muscle car, yum yum, and as I pictured myself cruising the Las Vegas strip in a V8 Camaro for an extra 150, I smiled over at Mrs Noniron and that was my first mistake, “not worth it”, “I think I'll go for it”, “not worth it” the second was to tell 'L' during a bout of small talk that we were going to LA, 'L' drops the bombshell that they couldn't do it because we intended to go to Los Angeles, something about emissions or smog but I'd stopped listening at that point, “Mr Noniron it's a pity you are set on a convertible because we have plenty of hard tops available”
“Now 'L' why didn't we have this conversation 30 mins ago.......”
She was brilliant and good fun to deal with, even offering us the chance of changing the car to a convertible at LAX if we wanted and the offer of a discount voucher for a future booking, but I was happy and with the keys in my pocket it was time to aim for Half Moon Bay and start heading south down the PCH towards Carmel for lunch and a nightstop in San Simeon.

Hotel: Best Western San Simeon $90

And that was the end of our first day on the road, Half Moon Bay, Monterey, Pebble Beach, Carmel and ending with a night beside the seals in San Simeon, truly spectacular to drive.

Next up, heading to Los Angeles via Pismo, Santa Barbara and Malibu.

Last edited by noniron; May 13, 2012 at 2:27 pm
Old May 6, 2012, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Pismo Beach

$5 to drive on the beach, didn't fancy taking the Mustang down there as it would have been an awkward phone call to Avis asking for a tow out if I beached it!

Santa Barbara

Malibu

Old May 6, 2012, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Los Angeles

Hotel: Marriott Manhattan Beach $180 per night and $21 per day to park.

If any of you are looking for a hotel close to LAX this hotel is close enough to be an airport hotel but has the feel of a resort hotel and was being used by crew from many airlines. The only down side is the parking charge of $21 per day to park at the hotel, there are reports on Tripadvisor about ways around this but I tried and got caught every time by the valet staff! There are restaurants nearby and can recommend Lido an Italian that featured on Gordon Ramsays kitchen nightmares in the US, what ever he did it worked! For breakfast try the cafe at Bristol Farm Foods, very good value.

The Mustang parked up on Rodeo Drive!

Old May 6, 2012, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Las Vegas

Hotel: Luxor cost $40 per night

This was my 4th stay in this hotel and it will be my last! I said that to myself on the third visit but this time I really mean it, I only booked it because of the room rate of $40 inc a comp upgrade and even when I was doing it I was thinking to myself 'are you half wise?' But I couldn't get over the price. The hotel has become very run down and is in need of a facelfift and with so many new hotels now open my next visit will be to the Cosmo or the like, I think I have become a hotel snob!

I'll park where I want mister...

The Mustang parked up with her pals in the Luxor car park

And with the city part of our road trip done it's off to the Canyon!

Last edited by noniron; May 12, 2012 at 6:21 am
Old May 7, 2012, 4:48 am
Original Poster

The Grand Canyon

Hotel: Best Western Tusayan cost $200 per night

With the bright lights of Vegas behind us, and a break even at the tables!, it was time to head towards the Grand Canyon, this drive would take us to the Hoover dam and on to Tusayan via Williams which I didn't realise that part of the iconic Route 66 runs through. Can I ask a question of you, why didn't the time change when we crossed into Arizona? I think I remember that it did the last time I visited the dam.

If I can say one thing about driving in America is that the radio stations are great, I love listening to classic rock while driving and the stations were playing hit after hit, the car had a satellite radio fitted but it was mostly FM for me

We arrived in Tusayan late afternoon and after settling into our room it was time to head to the canyon rim and see a sunset over this natural wonder. After seeing something so many times on television or in photographs I can not describe the feeling of peering over the canyon edge on that first evening, it truly was humbling, nothing can give the impression of the vastness, the sheer scale, the colours, it oozed a mesmerising power that is still with me today.

The next morning it was a hike down into the canyon for us, so sorry FlyerTalkers I can not regale you with tales of a champagne helicopter flight, we were heading down under our steam!

Now take a close look at this next photograph, put your reading glasses on if needed, in the very centre do you see a white trail leading to the edge? That is called the Plateau at the end of the Bright Angel trail, 3000ft elevation change each way and a return trip of 12 miles! For someone who drinks as much whiskey as is medically allowable and partial to a wee Benson and Hedges this was epic! But as I told Mrs Noniron don't worry I'm a natural athlete!

And this is what you are rewarded with at the end..........

Note of caution if you are thinking about doing this, it is not recommended that you attempt this route as a day hike in the summer months.

At the summit I was expecting a glass of fizz and beautiful damsel back on the rim edge there to massage my aching limbs but had to make do with the euphoria of completing this and a cold Sam Adams!

Lets say goodbye to the canyon with a few more pics.......

Last edited by noniron; May 7, 2012 at 4:50 am Reason: typo
Old May 7, 2012, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Arizona doesn't observe daylight saving time, so for part of the year it's in the same time zone as California & Nevada, then for the rest the same zone as Utah & New Mexico.
Old May 7, 2012, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Pahrump

Hotel: Best Western cost $75

With a grin of contentment and tired legs it was back into the Mustang the next morning for the run to Pahrump, I have nothing to say about Pahrump, zero, nada, zilch, this was merely a means to an end to get us close to the entrance of Death Valley except that hotel was exceptionally clean and the townsfolk a little bit weird! Sorry, if you live here please feel free to enlighten me.

Death Valley was always going to be a drive through for us the way the trip planned out on our way to Yosemite, a one day mammoth drive from Pahrump through the valley and the Sierra mountains to Delano before heading north to Yosemite. With the Tioga pass closed at this time of year our route was obviously longer than someone doing this in summer.

Only somebody from somewhere as wet as Northern Ireland could pitch up in Death Valley in the rain and the temp at 4c, don't try and tell me it's one of hottest, baddest, meanest places on the planet, I was 'foundered'!

Below sea level!

Small town America

When you plan things on a map the reality can be somewhat unexpected, we thought this would be all about what we would see driving through Death Valley but the real scenery was on the drive through lake Isabella, Kernville and crossing the Sierra on the 155, however when you are at 6000ft in a Mustang with no snow chains during a freak snowfall things can take on a different meaning!

I had to get out and ask a snowplough driver if was safe to continue......

Just like home....

Orange Grove near Delano

That was a drive that took us through every scenic vista imaginable, total time to Yosemite, 11 hours!

When we got checked in I had a well earned tipple of duty free Bushmills whiskey listening to this flowing by the balcony.......welcome to Yosemite!

Last edited by noniron; May 8, 2012 at 9:18 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.