Search

Wing Walking on a 747! – A Trip to Longreach, Australia, on Qantas

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2011, 3:09 am

Programs: Too many...
Fascinating report ^
Old Dec 31, 2011, 3:24 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Great report, definitely got a real feel for the trip. Looks like a real experience.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 3:31 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Fab photos, i can certainly see how much you enjoyed the first part of the trip. yes the UD did look small, but of course there were Y seats up there, which the same applied many years ago with BA they put their Y seats there for a while, before they decided to put J upstairs as well as downstairs. Also being a 200 series, it was an old aircraft, i remember flying on the 747-100 series when Ba had their first one in 1971. Look forward for the next instalment^
Old Dec 31, 2011, 3:35 am

Programs: BA gold
Excellent TR, will have to check it out the next time I'm in the area and borrow a car from Emerald.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 3:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond
Excellent report! A great hour's reading and poring over the pics. It was so comprehensive that it feels like I don't have to visit now

Flat in Milson's Point eh? Will we ever get a 'flat report' ? Just kidding.

Thanks very much for the report.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 4:06 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Thanks for the fantastic report.

I've only flown on the 747-300 and 747-400 so it's interesting to see how the series has evolved over time.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 4:27 am

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks for the great report matthandy! A really interesting read!
Old Dec 31, 2011, 4:51 am

Great trip report-

One question, how did you get the props to freeze like that in the photo? I could never seem to get that to happen. What shutter speed were you using?

Cheers
Old Dec 31, 2011, 5:29 am

Programs: QF WP (LTG), AA, SPG Gold, IC Plat Amb, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold.
Thanks for an excellent TR, and as said, so thorough that I almost feel like I don't need to visit!
I do hope to though, living in BNE and all, and having gone to Seattle to see Boeing and the Museum of Flight for similar experiences!

Thanks for your efforts.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 9:32 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

An absolutely sublime report. The highlight at Longreach was so unexpected. Thank you, matthandy ^

When I'm next in Sydney, I make sure a side trip to Longreach is built into my travel plan
Old Dec 31, 2011, 9:32 am

Programs: No longer bothered chasing FF status.
Well, well, well !

Just as 2011 draws to a close, I pop back onto FT after an extended absence to find this rather excellent trip report

Can't think of a better way to round off the year, than reading another "Matthandy" Trip report. I'm slowly drafting up a list of reasons to return to a Land Down Under, in the not too distant future & by jove a trip to Longreach has just topped the list. I don't mind telling you, that I'm more than a little jealous of you Matt. A good poke around a 747 is something dreams are made of !!

I'll raise a glass of bubbles to you & your trip reports, at midnight, Irish time tonight.

Happy new year to you Matt & thanks for all the excellent TR's in 2011 & I look forward to more of the same in 2012........ you lucky sod
Old Dec 31, 2011, 11:34 am

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Nice report!!

I think my next trip to OZ I will try to make a side trip to Longreach.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Great shot!

Absolutely thrilling report!

I wish I will have the same opportunity to visit Longreach next time I am in Australia. I have been to the Boeing Factory at Everett, Washington, but your tour seems to be more interactive and can get your hands and feet wet.

Great job!
Old Dec 31, 2011, 1:00 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Great trip report!

If anyone wants to experience something slightly different, Queensland Rail operate The Spirit of the Outback between Brisbane and Longreach, overnight between Brisbane and Rockhapmpton but daylight between Rockhampton and Longreach, which can be quite useful as a way of getting there, and it is actually quite a nice trip in and of its own.

Dave
Old Dec 31, 2011, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
great report! ^ thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.