Reload this Page >

Wing Walking on a 747! – A Trip to Longreach, Australia, on Qantas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wing Walking on a 747! – A Trip to Longreach, Australia, on Qantas

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2011, 4:49 pm

Wow, an amazing report. I am looking forward to the rest. I would love to have been along on the tour.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 5:57 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Matt

What a terrific job. Excellent attention to detail and great photography. You should work for National Geographic as a roving travel reporter. I felt like I was right there with you...

Bravo. Well done. Looking forward to the rest. As New Years Eve approaches, I will raise my glass to one of FT's most accomplished trip reporters ^
Old Dec 30, 2011, 6:14 pm
`X'

Programs: QFF NB, DJ Gold, A3 Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver, Carlson Silver, A|Club Gold
You have given me inspiration to do this same trip (well the BNE-LRE portion) later this year if I get the chance over easter!

Awesome report
Old Dec 30, 2011, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by eightblack
Matt

What a terrific job. Excellent attention to detail and great photography. You should work for National Geographic as a roving travel reporter. I felt like I was right there with you...

Bravo. Well done. Looking forward to the rest. As New Years Eve approaches, I will raise my glass to one of FT's most accomplished trip reporters ^
+1 ^

and I am not just saying that because you take me out on the harbour sailing
Old Dec 30, 2011, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler
Do you know if the wing walk is a relatively new thing?

Also, as a complete aside, I notice that your report indicates a feature on the The Australian Stockman’s Hall of Fame. Do you know if they are still showing the introductory video in the theater that includes, as I recall, some music with the lyrics of something like "We are the Pioneers"? If so, any idea who sings that song or what the name of it is?
Thanks for your comments uncertaintraveler. I'm not sure when the wing walk started. I've certainly seen comments from a few years ago that mention it. To be honest, the actual walk wasn't the highlight, all of the exploring was!

Originally Posted by klashn
Awesome photos so far. I really envy this beast! I remember taking a 747-400 in economy on Singapore airlines way back in the late 80's. I tried walking up the stairs but the FA motioned me to go back to my seat (probably F/J passengers up there!)
Tut, tut klashn! Glad that you are enjoying the report.

Originally Posted by halfcape
Wow, an amazing report. I am looking forward to the rest. I would love to have been along on the tour.
Just book a trip halfcape! I think that it's a must for anyone who is at all interested in aircraft, and flying.

Originally Posted by eightblack
Thanks very much Simon. I need to catch up on your latest Christmas installments!

Originally Posted by `X'
You have given me inspiration to do this same trip (well the BNE-LRE portion) later this year if I get the chance over easter!
Go for it! I expect to see a full TR too.

Originally Posted by Moomba
+1 ^

and I am not just saying that because you take me out on the harbour sailing
Thanks Moomba. My pleasure. When can we expect the latest installment of your report?
Old Dec 30, 2011, 7:59 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Matt

That was an incredible read. Top notch and very interesting to see the inners of a 747!

A very fine blend of fantastic photos and narrative and I am really looking forward to the next part! Thank you very much for sharing this ^^
Old Dec 30, 2011, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by matthandy
Thanks Moomba. My pleasure. When can we expect the latest installment of your report?
About now
Old Dec 30, 2011, 9:19 pm
`X'

Programs: QFF NB, DJ Gold, A3 Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver, Carlson Silver, A|Club Gold
Go for it! I expect to see a full TR too.
depends if i can scam my way into a freebie or not. If i do, i wont be able to for work reasons
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

The 707 Tour

The Qantas Founders Museum has on display a very special Boeing 707. It was the first 707 to registered outside of the US, the first jet registered in Australia (in 1957), the first for Qantas etc. The airline ended up with 13, with number one now positioned at Longreach and number 13 in the air with John Travolta.

Boeing 707 in Qantas Livery

The tour started at the front nose gear where our guide explained a bit of recent history. After service with Qantas, the aircraft was used by a Saudi prince as a VIP jet before being left at Southend airport in the UK for several years. It was rescued by a group of enthusiasts who restored it, before flying it back to Australia. It is still airworthy, and there are plans to see it flying again at air shows and displays.

Whilst we were able to take photos around the outside of the aircraft, part of the sale agreement for the aircraft restricts photography inside.

We started at the rear stairs and made our way up into a plush galley area. There was lots of wood panelling as you might expect in a VIP configuration. The main cabin, in the middle of the aircraft is set up with lots of chairs and a lounging area, as well as some non-original passenger seating. There was a map plotted on the bulkhead which showed the original delivery route.

Moving forward, the bathroom could be found, en-suite of course, and then the main bedroom. Just behind the cockpit was a set of four chairs which presumably were meant for travelling staff.

The cockpit itself was quite large and it reasonably good condition. I asked if I was allowed to take a photo, and permission was granted.

Boarding through the rear door

VH-XBA – the tail of this 707

The cockpit

The nose

The 707 tour was quite brief, as there simply wasn’t as much to see as there was on the 747. Still, it was interesting to see a bit of Qantas history.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:17 pm

Programs: ShebaMiles
Stunning tour- It's rather impressive that Qantas chose to go and put this in the town from whence they came rather than next to SYD or something. I do wonder if there's a comparable museum here in the US. Can't wait to see more!
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Parterre
Stunning tour- It's rather impressive that Qantas chose to go and put this in the town from whence they came rather than next to SYD or something. I do wonder if there's a comparable museum here in the US. Can't wait to see more!
Thanks Paterre, more coming up shortly.

Actually, I should clarify, the Qantas Founders Museum is actually totally independant of Qantas, although I understand that they do receive donations from them. There is a museum in the domestic terminal in Sydney, although I've not been yet.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:40 pm

Programs: QF, Skywards, SQ, Centurion
Thanks heaps for putting the time and effort into this for us! You've done a great job.

I wonder why they don't allow you to take pics inside the 707? Seems a bit odd to have that restriction, considering most people actually visiting the aircraft would be tourists and enthusiasts who would want to take pics...
Old Dec 31, 2011, 2:23 am
Original Poster

The 747 Wing Walk Tour

There were 9 of us on the tour originally, but only five opting to do the wing walk. The others made their way back to the museum whilst we headed back towards the 747.

Looking up at the forward cargo hold door

We started by heading straight up to the upper deck and took turns in the cockpit. It was all very relaxed. When my turn came I was able to take quite a few photos before sitting in the Captain’s seat and having a go with some of the controls.

I was able to play with the throttles and some of the switches as well as looking at the various gauges and dials. On the video that was shown earlier in the tour, it was explained that many of the critical switches have a different shape or feel to them, so that experienced pilots would be able to tell the difference between them, simply by touch. The aircraft was without power, which of course meant two things: one it was safe to play with all of the switches, and two, there was no hydraulic power, so nothing would move even if someone tried to move the control stick (like me). Many of the gauges had little red indicators in them which showed that there was a lack of power to that particular instrument.

The cockpit – Captain’s seat on the left, First Officer on the right

The Captain’s seat, controls and instruments – check out the cup holders

The central console, throttles and flaps

I sat in the Captain’s seat admired the view. It felt reasonably cramped actually. Everything was in easy reach though, not that I really knew what any of it did! The guide, Kylie, took a couple of photos of me at the helm. I posted these on Facebook and got several comments from friends about not wanting to fly again .

This is your Captain speaking, well, not today….

Full throttle!

Leg room

My view

I then turned my attention to the Flight Engineer’s panel. At first glance it looks rather complicated and confusing, but actually it’s not. The panel is laid out logically, with various sections for controlling each system.
If you look to the bottom of the photo, in the middle, you’ll see the fuel control system with various levels and switches to move the fuel around if required. There are five main fuel tanks and two reserve tanks and you can see a gauge for each on the panel. Above that are a series of white knobs that control the air flow into and around the cabin.

The Flight Engineer’s panel

Last edited by matthandy; Dec 31, 2011 at 2:47 am
Old Dec 31, 2011, 2:25 am
Original Poster

We then made our way downstairs and the guide opened up the hatch in the floor near to door 1L. This would allow us to access the avionics bay. The hatch is present on all 747 aircraft as far as I know including the passenger aircraft in service today. In fact, if you find yourself lucky enough to be sitting in the A zone (usually F or J cabin) you’ll be able to see the hatch if you look carefully enough. It’s usually covered by carpet though.

Here’s the hatch in a photo from my BA First flight in June:

Avionics bay access hatch

The hatch isn’t very wide and the ladder is steep, so we all had to be careful lowering ourselves down into the bay.

As we stepped down we were able to see some racking with various black boxes containing the avionics electronics for this aircraft. In the most part, the boxes can be easily removed and replaced in a matter of seconds, making for a quick turnaround.

Avionics bay

Directly in front was the main power board and to the right of that was a doorway leading to the forward cargo hold. To the right left of the ladder was a small area, next to where the nose gear would retract into that contained some spares and the manual winch handle that could lower the landing gear in the event of a failure.

Gear housing and manual winch handle

We proceeded forward and through the small door on the right to the forward cargo hold. It was rather large as you might expect. Being short, I was able to stand up. The cargo holds are pressurised before anyone asks, to dispel the myth that they are not.

Unfortunately, the hold, like the rear one, was full of seats, junk and surprisingly, a fresh set of tyres!
I wish that this had been cleared out so that we could roam freely.

It was possible to see the ball bearings on the floor that would be used to align the containers and load them on and off the aircraft.

We also saw the oxygen bottles, that would be used in an emergency if cabin pressure was lost. These were made very famous during an incident with a Qantas 747-400 that took place a few years ago. Luckily, these had been emptied and drilled to avoid any pressure build up.

Looking rearwards in the forward cargo hold

Ball bearings and rollers

Looking forward, the cargo hold door and the entrance back to the avionics bay

Oxygen bottles

We made our way back into the avionics bay in order to proceed to the middle of the aircraft for the actual wing walk itself.

On the way out I was able to take a couple more photos including a close up of the avionics boxes. Additionally, it was also possible to observe a hatch in the floor. This lead outside, just behind the nose wheel landing gear, and was designed for emergency crews or engineers to access the avionics bay, cargo hold and the passenger cabin from the ground if required.

Air flow controller

Overview of the avionics bay – note the grill in the floor in the foreground

Avionics bay external access hatch

We made our way to door 3R and the guide opened the door and proceeded to set up for the wing walk. A small ladder was attached to the doorway, as it turns out that there is quite a step down on to the wing. That step would normally be filled by an evacuation slide of course.

A steel line was attached to the door and also fixed to a point on the wing and we were to wear harnesses and attach ourselves to the line. This would prevent us from falling off of the wing and hurting ourselves.

I decided to go last, as I wanted to get some photos before heading out.

Attaching the line

Father and son get their photo taken

My turn!

Looking back towards the aircraft

The view from the wing, looking forward

We stepped back in and removed our harnesses before heading towards the rear door to exit. The tour was almost over, but there was one final flourish.

As we made our way outside, the guide pointed to a set of stairs leading to the tail. I thought that it was simply to get a close up view of the tail itself but not at all. She instructed me to open the hatch that was to be found at the top of the stairs. To my amazement, we were at the back of the pressure bulk head, an unpressurised area right behind the passenger cabin. Here we could see some hydraulics for the tail as well as the back of the pressure dome itself. It was also possible to see some of the control cables which ran along the ceiling. I was quite surprised by how high it was.

Stairs to nowhere?

Hydraulic assembly in the tail

The rear pressure bulk head

And so, that was it. We made our way to the front of the aircraft, to the gate where we had come in at the start of the tour. The guide asked me if I had taken enough photos (she wasn’t joking!) and we thanked her and made our way back to the museum for some lunch.

The parting shot

Verdict

What can I say? As you can probably tell, it was absolutely thrilling for me. I’d never thought that we’d be given such free reign of this fantastic aircraft. We really did have the run of the place and were free to prod, poke, open, touch and explore whatever we wanted. I honestly could have spent the entire day inside and outside just taking in as much as I can.

Our guide, Kylie, was fantastic. Very friendly and knowledgeable and she didn’t mind at all when I was a bit slow in re-joining the group because I was away snapping photos.

She suggested that the museum should run an ‘enthusiasts’ tour once in a while and I tend to agree. Whilst the tour struck the right balance between those who were just slightly interested and those who were enthusiasts, I think that a more detailed tour would really bring in the crowds. I suspect that it’d be pretty easy to spend an hour in the cockpit going over all of the instruments and then at least another hour in the cabin, talking about the galleys, toilets and emergency equipment. Hopefully the museum will consider this suggestion for the future.

I can strongly recommend the museum and the tours to anyone who has any interest in flying whatsoever. When do you have such an opportunity to roam this magnificent aircraft? If you are flying, you certainly can’t leave your assigned cabin, roam free and wander up to the cockpit. I had such a good time, I’m thinking of going back again next year.

Last edited by matthandy; Dec 31, 2011 at 2:54 am
Old Dec 31, 2011, 2:43 am

As we made our way outside, the guide pointed to a set of stairs leading to the tail. I thought that it was simply to get a close up view of the tail itself but not at all. She instructed me to open the hatch that was to be found at the top of the stairs. To my amazement, we were at the back of the pressure bulk head, an unpressurised area right at the very back of the passenger cabin. Here we could see some hydraulics for the tail as well as the back of the pressure dome itself. It was also possible to see some of the control cables which ran along the ceiling. I was quite surprised by how high it was.
It was this rear unpressurised section that blew out in that infamous JAL incident back in 85.

Great report Matt. Wish I had been there but your photos and commentary make it seem like I was.

Last edited by Moomba; Dec 31, 2011 at 3:09 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.