Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Very Eightblack Christmas...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2011, 3:15 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by eightblack
"Do you not think we should order a salad?" I quip.
"No" he says defiantly
"What about a plate of steamed vegetables?"
"You said they were for girls with short haircuts, who didn't like men"
"No I didn't"
"Yes you did"
Old Dec 22, 2011, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks for the updates , I really enjoy them.

have a great flight.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
When in Italy (except Venice) we rent golf carts and go all over the place, lots of fun, though keep the helmets next to you, last time in Rome some young kids jumped into the cart and stole them, we had to pay an exuberant fee to replace them.

Wonderful as usual.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 5:52 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
First thing I do in the morning is check for an update. Enjoy your time with your son EIGHTBLACK, it goes fast.
Can't wait for the trip to DTW.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 7:39 am

Gotta admire you eightblack, you sure know how to write! ^
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:39 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Fantastic reading, as always. Thanks to Yahilwe for allowing me to follow as it's happening this time around.

Great inspiration for me before I make some updates to my travel blog - just need to stop myself from saying "or something like that" at the end of every paragraph.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:09 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by eightblack
One of the drawbacks of being a part of the FT tribe is that family and friends alike (non FT'ers), have no clue what it takes to book redemption tickets. Especially during one of the busiest times of the year. And in premium cabins. This drives me insane. You would think that at least you would earn a pile of sex credits for achieving award travel nirvana.
How am I ever going to finish reading this thread when I can't even pick myself off the floor laughing at this line?

Classic.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:18 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Nice TR.
Too bad I'll miss you at the FCT by one day. Would have LOVED to see you & your son in person... LOL - I could be a liaison between the two of you.
I'm one of those young mileage kids and I figured out a way to incorporate A380 F on an Aeroplan booking. So I'm just sitting in the MLL in YYC going to MIA, and then heading off to FRA on Fri. So I'll be in the FCT on Sat. Maybe your arm-waving will get you kicked off of the DTW Fri flight and you'll be camping in the FCT. If you will be, let me know.
Damn US Air indeed!
Old Dec 22, 2011, 1:20 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Delta747
Another GREAT tr by eightblack! I cannot wait for the rest!

Happy Holidays,

Delta747
Delta747, happy holidays to you too. We are actually flying some tin pot airline called Delta next week. All 4 of us together. It is sure to end in tears. I will let you know...

Originally Posted by joorinainen
"Then there's the guy in 1A. A silver haired man of his years who has slept in the upright position for the entire flight. Not eaten a thing. Alcohol has not passed his lips. Every time I walk past him, there he is, vertical in his seat. Hasn't moved an inch. Maybe he died during the flight and the crew are simply too polite to interrupt him. I have no idea."

I swear to god that he did not move. An inch. The entire flight. I wanted to shake him awake and say "silly man, look at the food and wine you are missing...". But then I decided against it...

Originally Posted by halfcape
The only thing that could improve on this report would be photos. Then again, maybe we are better off using our imaginations! Thank you for your reports.
I think I said somewhere earlier that I struggle with photos. There are simply too many great photographers already on FT. And besides, I have enough trouble stringing the words together, let alone working out how to upload the photos. I am truly grateful of your kind words though...

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
I have literally rolled on the floor laughing at some points. Kinda hard to explain to my parents though.

Yet another amazing TR by the one and only eightblack. ^
You need to get out more...but thanks all the same

Originally Posted by BKKROP
Thanks, brought back memories, Italy that is, not the ankle biter
Please email me your address. Will ship kids to you free of charge. You can try them for the weekend. No obligation...

Originally Posted by freecia
Surely, at 11, you could drop Number One Son in a field somewhere without any Apple equipment, since he's seen them all, and see how long it takes for him to return to SIN. Survival training at its best and a definitely unique university application essay experience sure to get him into a school which will bankrupt you. Does Singapore have child services? Are they run by people who had to walk 15 miles to school in the snow without shoes?

Though perhaps you should change all your credit card numbers and drain the ff accounts first, just to make the challenge a good one.

I jest. I think you'd find your photo and a description of "one slightly used liver" up on the internet pretty quickly after that and you're still trying to break the liver in.

Thanks for another trip report! And congratulations on scoring 4 premium long haul award tickets during the holiday season. I didn't think that was possible.
He would simply call his mother and then I would never hear the end of it - if I were to drop him in a field somewhere. But I like the idea. A for effort. And yes, if you search long enough, award space can be found. Although I'm not sure the purists out there would regard LH Business as "premium". I'll let you know shortly, as Wife and The Small One are due to land in DTW in a few hours.

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
Why do I assume that your son sounds like Jake from Two and a Half Men did at that age? Except with an Australian accent.

Enjoying the report as always.
EN, for one, he doesn't eat as much. And he doesn't have an uncle who's an alcoholic nor obsessed with strippers. His father on the other hand...

Originally Posted by BA5E
Oh what a TR, had me in stitches, thank goodness there was only myself in reception whilst reading it. It is obviously your son has his finger wrapped round your little finger.^
Ok, yes. He probably does. I'll lend him to you for the weekend and see how you get on then...

Originally Posted by britbronco22
Great writing EightBlack, I will have to print off the installments to share with my family over Christmas. I look forward to the rest, so far up to the same standard as the previous holiday trip!

Yahillwe thanks for bringing this to my attention!
Surely there must be better things to do at Christmas...but I am very grateful for the nice words.

Originally Posted by Physci
Eye-wateringly great TR! Just love the "drive it like you stole it" line
Only in Italy...the guy was a scream. As in funny. I'm just annoyed I didn't take the 458 out for a spin...and thanks for the kind words.

Originally Posted by k_malm
It's a bad day when your 11 year old is using your FCT entrance as a bargaining chip!
It's T-minus 12-hrs to go before we say adios to Italy. I will let you know how I get on. It's not looking pretty at this point though...

Originally Posted by warreng24
Another EightBlack classic. ^ Hope you're having a good trip and I look forward to the stories about the return home!
It's going to feel like ground-hog day. We've still got to get thru the actual family holiday then we're off to New York to spend some time with one of my best friends who is literally certifiable (wife made me sign a guarantee that my son would remain unharmed) and then all the way back to SIN via MUC. I may not make it...

Originally Posted by Jenbel
Is anyone else checking in every 3-4 hours in case you've missed the next installment?
Jenbel, you are a peach. But you need to get out more too

Originally Posted by wrp96
You're only checking every 3-4 hours? Slacker.
See above...

Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Many people say they "have a book in them"... In most cases it's patently not true, but eightblack, you're the exception. Very enjoyable reading.
Many thanks.

Originally Posted by johnnie69
Great TR and great tips for Florence too. Looking forward to next post, good luck with the rest of your trip
johnnie, Florence is a wonderful city. Best piece of advice. Liver cleanse before you come. And rent a Segway

Originally Posted by wtcmor
Eightback, I think it's time to fess up that you really are a best selling author masquerading as someone who works out of Singapore. You intimidate the rest of us writing TR's because yours are so brilliannt. Thanks for taking the time and I am sure your small human is very grateful for your efforts,
wtcmor, I can assure you that I am a simple sales guy. Nothing more. But I am very flattered by the compliment.

Originally Posted by Firemansam
Eightblack you are a true master at this. And kudos to your offspring as it would not be anywhere near as funny TR without them
I don't know about that. I remember life BC (before children) Kidding.

Originally Posted by ppgstf
Another excellent pre Christmas read, thanks.
ppgstf, many thanks for the kind words. And may your own Christmas be filled with much cheer. Or at least your stocking filled with hard liquor
Old Dec 22, 2011, 1:29 pm

I just saw one of those sliver haired types in TG HKG-BKK F, he slept from take-off in the upright position. I on the other hand was busy working my way through the offerings on this rather short flight.

Enjoying the writing, thanks for sharing. And merry Christmas. Its all about the kids, remember
Old Dec 22, 2011, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL Silver, MR Plat, nobody everywhere else
I'm not quite silver haired as of yet, but I'm quite often sleeping through my flights. This thread however, has kept me up much later than I intended, and was well worth it!
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, National Exec. Elite, Hilton Gold, GE
Wonderful TR!

Perhaps the only thing more hilarious than this report is the appearance of a new FTer with the handle NumberOneSon.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 1:29 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Thanks for the report. Looking forward to the next instalments.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 4:18 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Just send the little brat as a UM in Y, that'll sort him out. Or he'll murder you which would be a sad loss to FT (and probably your wife)
Old Dec 23, 2011, 7:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
What great writing skills.

I laughed hard and what a nice son you have there.

Enjoyed and you enjoy your trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.