Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

A BA flyer flies United Airlines First Class SEA-ORD-GRU.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A BA flyer flies United Airlines First Class SEA-ORD-GRU.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2011, 4:42 pm

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by Betteronacamel
Oh, I see now. The brown object is actually ice cream too - at first I thought is was a deep frozen lump of.....(stop it).....well, I actually thought it looked like a doughnut covered in frost.
Yes I thought that too, I thought it was a panettone or something
Old Nov 16, 2011, 4:46 pm

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by Genius1
I must admit a lot of what I've read about TAM is really quite positive, and I guess if you can get on a longhaul aircraft, even better. The food service you received GRU-EZE looks better than UA's ORD-GRU.
I thought that too, I was even more shocked when I realised it was a bit further than a LHR-MAD flight.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 7:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Genius1
I must admit a lot of what I've read about TAM is really quite positive, and I guess if you can get on a longhaul aircraft, even better. The food service you received GRU-EZE looks better than UA's ORD-GRU.
Thanks Genius1 for finally reading my reports.

I've certainly had nothing but good experiences on the TAM EZE-GRU route though they can be a bit ropey on some long haul flights....same as most airlines around.

Originally Posted by Flyingfox

The product does not appear to be an actual F one.
We sat in 3 E,F on a 777 with the old seats, and they had NO CURTAINS separating F and business class, so we were inches from them and the light coming in from the business cabin.
You seem to have the same thoughts as me Flyingfox. It does feel strange to look back and see the biz class passengers looking in at you. I was told it is for security purposes that they don't close the curtain. It certainly doesn't make the F cabin feel exclusive.....well nothing makes UA F feel exclusive right enough.

Originally Posted by globalste
Yes I thought that too, I thought it was a panettone or something
Yes it was definitely a something globalste.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 1:31 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Wow. UA Int'l F service and delivery looks truly abyssal. Frozen ice cream? Entree that looks like Y meals years ago (peas/carrots/chicken...typical Y meal, AFAIK).

I have seen UA F pictures that looked better than this. Maybe this was a fluke?

The frozen ice cream is just unacceptable for International First Class.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 11:13 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
I guess the great seat is UA's attempt to woo pax from the appauling service from the FA's.

Is it really that hard to be polite? Especially in a customer facing career?
Old Nov 19, 2011, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Sadly, even on short international routes like NRT-ICN-NRT, UA F is not good. I agree with your opinion about the seat, very comfy.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 12:38 pm

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)
Glad to see you back in the air, HIDDY!

Have to say that my thoughts are the same on UA F. Pretty mediocre. Service and food was rubbish. I had the old F when I flew, which is fine, except for the video based media.

I have to say, my LH J flight was way ahead of UA F.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
Originally Posted by globalste
I thought that too, I was even more shocked when I realised it was a bit further than a LHR-MAD flight.

What's sad is that TAM uses J catering (not even their true F catering) for F inter-South America flights; yet it is still miles ahead of UA F!!! Thus, their med haul J class catering, is better for a 3-4 hour flight then 9-10 hours on UA!

Also, did I mention that the TAM F Lounge in GRU has JW Blue Lable and Chevis 18. Also, the Special Services Staff, takes you by the hand through customs. In EZE, you have car pickup/drop off included, even for F award redeptions.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 10:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, VS Gold, IHG Plat, HH Gold.
Great report Hiddy!

Was mulling over Boston or Chicago for a weekend with the Mrs next year and your suggestion that it was like Glasgow has made me opt for Chicago! Though anywhere is an improvement on Motherwell!

JAT
Old Nov 30, 2011, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
I should also add that HA has Club access to Domestic First as well, so that makes two USA airlines that included their club for domestic flights.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 12:03 pm

Yes, UA service is horrible. Downright hostile even. I once stood with half of one foot in the galley in coach, near the bathrooms at the end of the plane, so as not to have my derrier in the face of the passengers in the back-row. The FAs became outright antagonistic and started screaming at me, 'What are you doing here? The galley is not for YOU to come into.' Then, the witch got on the intercom and made a pissy, nasty announcement that the galley was not to be entered under any circumstances.

On occasion, you may find some decent UA FAs, however, they are more the exception than the rule.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 6:08 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Fine Trip Report there HIDDY with nice photos and some wit ^

I liked the part of Sky deck at the former Sears Tower. Very high indeed and I bet you were screaming like the teenagers there!!

A bit of a contrast to say the least between the crews on your two flights. The new seat looked very good and lots of storage which is always handy. I've never flown UA but would consider them at some point. Pity about the $4 for a trolley though

Did you manage to see the Mirror Bean in Chicago?

Pity you didn't have the time to go to the Boeing Factory near SEA , you would have enjoyed that. Maybe some other time?

Pete
Old Aug 31, 2013, 9:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PETER01
Did you manage to see the Mirror Bean in Chicago?

Pity you didn't have the time to go to the Boeing Factory near SEA , you would have enjoyed that. Maybe some other time?

Pete

Cheers Pete. Who dredged this old report up? Just when I had gotten over my UA F experience as well.

I never saw any bean, in fact this is the first I've heard of its existence. It was raining when we arrived that morning so we didn't hang about Millennium Park long. Good excuse to go back.

Seattle is another city I want to go back to. However if I'm being honest a visit to the Boeing factory isn't really my cup of tea - shock horror.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.