Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

A BA flyer flies United Airlines First Class SEA-ORD-GRU.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A BA flyer flies United Airlines First Class SEA-ORD-GRU.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2011, 6:46 pm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Domestic F (longhaul / transcon) is crap. It was once a great product (even with the 2 cabin seats and poor IFE.) It then was a so so product. It is now officially crap, and I am unanimous in that!

The end
It's still better than Row 99Z in the back of the bus. Commonly known as my home in the air
Old Oct 15, 2011, 7:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
Thanks for the Report HIDDY... Glad you took the boat tour,
Thanks cyclogenesis.

The boat tour is definitely worth taking just for the view from the lake alone.

Originally Posted by avm2806
I think you'll find that in general UA service is far superior on domestic flights than international ones. .
Seems to be the general opinion. Bit of a shame they can't do something about those bad long haul crews. They really do damage the brand.

Originally Posted by Kevincm
Nice trip report HIDDY, and great shots of the Windy City.
Thanks Kev....I was thinking of you when I was there after reading your reports. I know you're a regular visitor. Certainly lots of great photo opportunities in that city.

Originally Posted by Betteronacamel
I actually thought it looked like a doughnut covered in frost.

Originally Posted by Kevincm
It's still better than Row 99Z in the back of the bus. Commonly known as my home in the air
You really do love it down there though.

If it's only a good seat you want and you're not too fussed about the service then new UA F is pretty good.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Thanks for the excellent report.

It is good to hear from someone who is not a regular United Flyer.

United has been consistently inconsistent when it comes to services over the years. I have found CO a little (but not much) better. I am not sure if the new United will be any better, realistically.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 8:27 pm

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Excellent trip report and well balanced in the comments. Chicago is a wonderful city and the Architectural Boat Tour is a great way to see it. Made me really want to return.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Nice report. You have me so inspired for my UA F trip to South America next week.
Do let me know how you get on Eastbay1K. I would be very interested to find out.

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
It is good to hear from someone who is not a regular United Flyer.
Thanks UA_Flyer.

Two flights....one very good and one not so good. I'll give them the benefit of doubt till I try them again.

Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Excellent trip report and well balanced in the comments. Chicago is a wonderful city and the Architectural Boat Tour is a great way to see it. Made me really want to return.
Thanks Kgmm77.
Yes I liked Chicago very much.....there is something about the place that makes you want to return.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Do let me know how you get on Eastbay1K. I would be very interested to find out.
If you come into the city with a bottle of whatever on "no alcohol election" day, I'll tell you first hand!
Old Oct 16, 2011, 4:08 pm
Ambassador

Originally Posted by Betteronacamel
Oh, I see now. The brown object is actually ice cream too - at first I thought is was a deep frozen lump of.....(stop it).....well, I actually thought it looked like a doughnut covered in frost.
Gosh you're right. I thought it was some kind of apple turnover.

Thanks for the report HIDDY. Pity the crew weren't up to scratch. I've only ever flown UA domestic which seems to have friendly crew in my experience.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Domestic F (longhaul / transcon) is crap. It was once a great product (even with the 2 cabin seats and poor IFE.) It then was a so so product. It is now officially crap...
Domestic F on UA, as with all carriers in the States, is a sort of super-coach product mainly for upgraders and to reward elites. Few pay for it. UA's international product is so marred, so often in all classes by appalling staff, I stopped flying UA overseas years ago. Sadly they seem to have invested in a quite competitive F seat, but endemic service issues negate the edge. I think HIDDY did an excellent job reporting an experience that is, if not the norm, far too common.

UA's problems make BA's MF teething problems look like nothing, although UA's stem from older, bitter crews bent on sabotage... not young puppy dogs tumbling about ineffectively.

I'm glad you enjoyed Chicago and Seattle although you were not in the latter city long enough. Next time PM me in advance and I'll buy you some pints.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BearX220
Next time PM me in advance and I'll buy you some pints.
That's music to a Scotsmans ears. ^

I shall of course reciprocate your generous gesture by paying for the nuts.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 2:16 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Excellent report... thanks for sharing. I guess I should be thankful that my previous life as a I-...... allowed me to "enjoy" the days when United served lobster and Dom Perignon in F.....
Old Oct 17, 2011, 5:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Amex BA Premium Plus
Nice report, Hiddy. I see you're much like me, I also hate when they overcharge for things. $4 for a trolley, I made exactly the same remark on my trip report on an Argentine forum.

And you know you were lucky, 15 minutes to go through immigration and customs at EZE it's the exception, rather than the norm.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Excellent report... thanks for sharing. I guess I should be thankful that my previous life as a I-...... allowed me to "enjoy" the days when United served lobster and Dom Perignon in F.....
As a I-...... ? The mind boggles.

Originally Posted by Lovecraft
Nice report, Hiddy. I see you're much like me, I also hate when they overcharge for things. $4 for a trolley, I made exactly the same remark on my trip report on an Argentine forum.
Yes I remember well when Ezeiza used to charge for a trolley...in arrivals of all places. Thankfully they stopped that silly practice. I wonder why some airports in the US have this trolley charge?

Originally Posted by Lovecraft
And you know you were lucky, 15 minutes to go through immigration and customs at EZE it's the exception, rather than the norm.
Yes we've been really lucky over the last few years. Late afternoon and evenings are definitely the best. Also helps when coming off an A320 rather than a wide body.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Excellent trip report (both parts). Thanks! ^
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Yes I remember well when Ezeiza used to charge for a trolley...in arrivals of all places. Thankfully they stopped that silly practice. I wonder why some airports in the US have this trolley charge?
All the carts just about everywhere are owned/operated by a private company (Smarte Carte) that actually filed bankruptcy several years ago. They are now owned by an Australian bank. In the airports w/o a charge (i.e., the int'l arrivals @ SFO, after a long campaign by Herb Caen, started providing complimentary carts), the airports are paying the vendor.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:10 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Despite flying first class we were told we would not be getting lounge access. You cannot be serious? I said jokingly……they were.
This is the same with oneWorld: domestic, paid F on AA would not get you access to Admirals Club. oneWorld Sapphire/Emerald status on non-AA program would, however, get you access. The same is with Star Alliance: Gold status on non-UA/CO/US program would get you access (on any fare in any class).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.