Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BAD etiquette in Airline Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2009, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by MisterNice
Last week in the DL Sky Lounge in ATL there were 3 people loudly blabbing away on there cellphones in the Quiet Room with the sign visibly at the entrance.
+1 on this source of aggravation being a prime example of bad lounge etiquette.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 1:12 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
Originally Posted by honeytoes
My guess is that the person who did this will never give it a second thought.
+1^I don't think you can expect some uncouth neanderthal to be concerned about his less than civil demeanor.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 1:55 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
On the one hand, the guy clearly moved your stuff and is clearly a douche.

On the other, I would never, ever, ever leave my stuff out while I went to the bathroom. To grab a drink or food maybe. But to the bathroom, never. As others have said, be glad the guy was just a douche and not a thief as well.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 4:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Yes, but was it a FTer?

Old Sep 22, 2009, 6:23 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by schley
Place is packed right now big time. I simply got up to go to the bathroom and was gone maybe 3-4 minutes. I have my laptop on one of the desks by the bathrooms with a newspaper as well as 1 drink left on the desktop with my bag underneath.

I come back and my stuff has been moved to one of the chairs maybe 10 feet away. All my stuff is moved! My cord unplugged, MY LAPTOP CLOSED!

The person sitting there claims it wasn't them. I honestly didn't know what to say for a few seconds with my jaw down. I ask the two people at other desks and they say they didn't see anything or whatever. It is almost like this person paid people off not to say anything. I think this is something most people don't even want to get involved with and simply claim ignorance. I'm very laid back but this was irritating at best.

Anyone with something similiar? This is just plain wrong IMO.

Next to gate lice, you have hit on my pet travel peeve. One of the primary reasons for paying for a lounge membership (which is on my own dime) is to get away from the unwashed at the gate. People screaming into cell phones, parents who think that the airport lounge is Romper Room for their children and people that sit in the tv area/room and talk over the tv are my three biggest peeves.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 8:36 am

The guy who moved your stuff is a jerk, but then you shouldn't leave your stuff out of your sight either, the lounge is still a public place after all, if you lose your stuff no one is responsible but you.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Few years ago at the SIN Silver Kris Lounge I've had people taking significant amount of food from the buffet out of the lounge after spending time in there. Not an appropriate lounge behavior/etiquette IMO.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 5:28 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Everyday I see more and more rude behavior from people and have to wonder what is causing all this. It's not just in airports and sky clubs, it's everywhere. Yesterday I let someone go in front of me in line at a cashier at a store and didn't even get a thank-you.

I too hate the people in the SC quiet area blabbing away on cell phonesor to each other. I also bring the quiet sign to their attention. I usually get nasty looks (who the hell does she think she is telling me to be quiet?) in response.

Sometimes, it is better to just find a quiet empty gate area and hang out there. Though that is becoming increasing more difficult to do.

This, among many other reasons, is why I hate flying.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 7:38 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum/ DL Silver
This is the prime reason why when I consider it a precarious position to leave my laptop or other belongings to make a head call. When I do feel like I am going to be just a few minutes I always ask those in the immediate area if they mind keeping an eye on my things. When people ask me to do the same, I am very appreciative of them asking and so long as they aren't gone for 30 minutes I don't mind a bit.

It is rude for people to move your belongings without your permission. However, that doesn't mean it they know better. Maybe some people are so self absorbed with their own needs that nothing else or anyone else matters.

Maybe one day manners will go back to being the norm instead of the exception.

Last edited by FireforEffect; Sep 22, 2009 at 7:41 pm Reason: poor syntax
Old Sep 23, 2009, 3:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I've done this a couple times in BR's... and no issues yet :knockonwood:

Typically its just a snack/beverage run, but occasionally even I fill up...

It does seem to have another fellow traveler watch your items, or let an adjacent person know you'll be back in a few...
Old Sep 23, 2009, 4:32 am

Programs: AA PLT
Annoying

Someone moving your belongings has to be one of the most brazen things I've heard of in the lounge. Normally it seems that displays of bad manners aren't quite as aggressive.

I have to admit that I walk away from my laptop almost every time, at least for a couple of minutes to grab a coffee or sometimes visit the bathroom. I could not see "packing up" each time. I always assume that people around that have seen me for the last half-hour would notice, but I guess not. They would just think someone new showed up most likely.

My last encounter with someone disgusting in the lounge was when an older guy was dipping is hands into the pitcher of ice water to fish ice out and then touching cookies and putting them back. It was gross.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 7:35 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by schley
Place is packed right now big time. I simply got up to go to the bathroom and was gone maybe 3-4 minutes. I have my laptop on one of the desks by the bathrooms with a newspaper as well as 1 drink left on the desktop with my bag underneath.

I come back and my stuff has been moved to one of the chairs maybe 10 feet away. All my stuff is moved! My cord unplugged, MY LAPTOP CLOSED!

The person sitting there claims it wasn't them. I honestly didn't know what to say for a few seconds with my jaw down. I ask the two people at other desks and they say they didn't see anything or whatever. It is almost like this person paid people off not to say anything. I think this is something most people don't even want to get involved with and simply claim ignorance. I'm very laid back but this was irritating at best.

Anyone with something similiar? This is just plain wrong IMO.
There is a small chance that the table required some cleanup or attention and a staff member removed your laptop. Much more likely, though, one of the lounge patrons did it, in which case he is a big time selfish jerk.

However, as for others, I am not sure if there has to be a collusion here. After all, unless you befriended them or requested to keep an eye on your stuff, why would they even pay attention let alone know it was your stuff?

When I am in a lounge, I am busy with my own thoughts/work/nap, people are opening/closing/moving their own stuff all the time - why would I suspect it wasn't theirs, or even notice anything?

So, in addition to the tough advice you have received never to leave your stuff unattended, may I add a softer one: ask someone to watch it for a few minutes.

BTW which airport/lounge was this at?
Old Sep 23, 2009, 8:52 am

I agree it would make more sense that a staff member did it.

It is a big assumption that you're jumping to with the title of this thread.

It could be argued that not prioritising your tinkle time before beginning work on your laptop was the issue here. Becuase claiming a shared resource like a desk, conveying it is taken or "owned" by leaving your paraphernalia there, could be seen as arrogant, and perhaps the reason why it was moved.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 1:41 pm

Arrogant Maybe

What iare you a ten year old? You actually leave all your belongings and walk away?
You probably had taken up several seats with all your stuff, and you are probably one of those people who thinks that your bags and coat get their own separate seats to wait in just because you pay for Club lounge membership. When the lounge gets crowded- consider taking up less space.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 1:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by jayne52
What iare you a ten year old? You actually leave all your belongings and walk away?
You probably had taken up several seats with all your stuff, and you are probably one of those people who thinks that your bags and coat get their own separate seats to wait in just because you pay for Club lounge membership. When the lounge gets crowded- consider taking up less space.
But it couldn't have been crowded, could it? If he moved all his stuff to a free space on a table.

The guy was obviously in the wrong but nowadays, in most situations it's the person with no shame and care who gets their way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.