Reload this Page >

BAD etiquette in Airline Lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BAD etiquette in Airline Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2009, 3:12 pm

Programs: SWA EMP (the ultimate program)
I would have LOST IT.. I understand that it probably would have only worsened the situation, but that kind of disregard for other people's possessions is my NUMBER ONE pet peeve. The thing that gets me the most is that he unplugged your laptop and closed it! To me, he made a huge blunder the moment he put his hands on your property but not only was it ignorant to just cast your property to the side like that, but it was done with no regard to what was in progress on the computer! It could have been your work or a game that you were in the middle of, it makes no difference. I've had problems with people disrespecting my personal property in the past and maybe that's why it's a sore spot with me, but when I hear stories like this it makes my blood boil. I live by very few rules, but one of them is that you DON'T TOUCH OTHER PEOPLE'S STUFF.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by num1bearsfan
I would have LOST IT...
I understand the emotion, but if you didn't see anyone touch your stuff, who would you have taken to task about it having been moved?
Old Sep 23, 2009, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by proudbird
Someone moving your belongings has to be one of the most brazen things I've heard of in the lounge. Normally it seems that displays of bad manners aren't quite as aggressive.

I have to admit that I walk away from my laptop almost every time, at least for a couple of minutes to grab a coffee or sometimes visit the bathroom. I could not see "packing up" each time. I always assume that people around that have seen me for the last half-hour would notice, but I guess not. They would just think someone new showed up most likely.

My last encounter with someone disgusting in the lounge was when an older guy was dipping is hands into the pitcher of ice water to fish ice out and then touching cookies and putting them back. It was gross.
I've always considered an airline lounge worth paying for (on my own dime) because it's more private and usually quieter than the gate area. Number one benefit is being able to, well, number one, without needing to schlep your bags in with you. I never want to leave my bags at my seat at a gate because I'm afraid someone will call TSA (as if the shoe carnival isn't bad enough).

I do worry about leaving my laptop out in view, but I see people do it all the time; I do it too but I worry when I do.

Originally Posted by jayne52
What iare you a ten year old? You actually leave all your belongings and walk away?
You probably had taken up several seats with all your stuff, and you are probably one of those people who thinks that your bags and coat get their own separate seats to wait in just because you pay for Club lounge membership. When the lounge gets crowded- consider taking up less space.
Wow, what a first post. Er, welcome to FT, I guess. Please, before your next post, take a few breaths and think about what you are saying.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by MisterNice
Last week in the DL Sky Lounge in ATL there were 3 people loudly blabbing away on there cellphones in the Quiet Room with the sign visibly at the entrance. I mentioned it to one of the lounge dragon and she said "Sorry about that" and went back to her crossword puzzle.
I consider that my cue to walk over to the first one and loudly say into his phone "You are talking to someone too rude to leave the Quiet Room to make a cellphone call."
Old Sep 24, 2009, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sethb
I consider that my cue to walk over to the first one and loudly say into his phone "You are talking to someone too rude to leave the Quiet Room to make a cellphone call."
After no love from the lounge dragon I did approach the guy but he talked for 5 min before putting his phone away. Thirty min later a really LOUD MOUTHED salesman refused to shut up or lower his volume. I then picked up the Quiet Room sign, placed it in front of the clown but he kept yelling away after turning away from me. The other people in the lounge chuckled, some gave some applause but the guy was too much of a slob to stop.

MisterNice
Old Sep 24, 2009, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by MisterNice
After no love from the lounge dragon I did approach the guy but he talked for 5 min before putting his phone away. Thirty min later a really LOUD MOUTHED salesman refused to shut up or lower his volume. I then picked up the Quiet Room sign, placed it in front of the clown but he kept yelling away after turning away from me. The other people in the lounge chuckled, some gave some applause but the guy was too much of a slob to stop.

MisterNice
You were too nice.

You can't influence the salesman, you have to drive away his customer. That's why you speak into his cellphone.

Or stand in front of him imitating him (silently), making faces, exaggerating arm gestures, etc.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by crystak
But it couldn't have been crowded, could it? If he moved all his stuff to a free space on a table.
The OP says the place was packed. Given that, quite frankly, my opinion is the person with bad etiquette is the OP, who left his stuff taking up space for as far as other people could know who knows how long.

If the place wasn't packed and there were plenty of seats available, it might be another issue, but the fact that someone did move the stuff really implies that that wasn't true.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 9:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by schley
Place is packed right now big time. I simply got up to go to the bathroom and was gone maybe 3-4 minutes. I have my laptop on one of the desks by the bathrooms with a newspaper as well as 1 drink left on the desktop with my bag underneath.

I come back and my stuff has been moved to one of the chairs maybe 10 feet away. All my stuff is moved! My cord unplugged, MY LAPTOP CLOSED!

The person sitting there claims it wasn't them. I honestly didn't know what to say for a few seconds with my jaw down. I ask the two people at other desks and they say they didn't see anything or whatever. It is almost like this person paid people off not to say anything. I think this is something most people don't even want to get involved with and simply claim ignorance. I'm very laid back but this was irritating at best.

Anyone with something similiar? This is just plain wrong IMO.

the only lounge I would even think about leaving my laptop out is an international first class lounge. In those lounges, almost always the pax is someone who travels a lot (makes enough money to not care about stealing laptops) or someone who is really rich and can easily afford to buy 10 laptops on impulse. Occasionally, a leisure traveler (like me) pops by in there on miles. I still would only leave it out to get get a drink from the snack bar and I would still keep it in eyesight or near eyesight (you can easily tell who took it since they'll have to be walking by you anyways. And generally, the lounges are so empty that laptop theft would be easily noticed by others in the lounge since the thief would stand out. But going to the bathroom? i take my laptop with me, it's my "nuclear football". I don't go more than 30 seconds without seeing it.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 3:43 am

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Originally Posted by proudbird
My last encounter with someone disgusting in the lounge was when an older guy was dipping is hands into the pitcher of ice water to fish ice out and then touching cookies and putting them back. It was gross.
Ewwwww... I would have found an attendant, told them what happened and asked them to change the water. And I probably would have blurted something undiplomatic at the guy who did it. Not that I'm germ phobic or anything
Old Sep 28, 2009, 5:40 am

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
I was in the BD No 1 Lounge at LHR a couple of weeks ago. There are some nice comfortable chairs with views of the tarmac. Mostly they seemed to be empty, but people had left bags, books, laptops, etc. to claim their entitlement to the seats - denying others the opportunity. I have no idea where these people were given the length of time the seats were empty. It's not as though there was nowhere else to leave bags, books or laptops.

Reminds me of the fabled Germans and beachtowels. That's poot etiquette, IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.