Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

The dumbest travel-related mistake you ever made?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The dumbest travel-related mistake you ever made?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: UA Premier Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Dis, IHG Gold.
ooh, I have a few.

1) I've mixed up 6am and 6pm on a BOS-DFW-PDX routing on US; made it rebooked for free, but lost paid first.

2) booking hotels in China, with Ctrip the date selection requires you click yes to update. I didn't, and my booking was thusly for the wrong date. Out one nights cost.

3) the worst is Probably the *5* times I've forgotten to bring my laptop charger on one of those china trips, and having to buy a $70 replacement, shipped in as Universal's don't work. Now
I keep one at the office in China, one in every place I usually use my laptop, and I just bought a new laptop that uses the same charger, so now I have 7 chargers.

addendum: passport mishaps:
1) left on airport bathroom parcel shelf. realized about 10 minutes later, prior to boarding a domestic, which would not have checked it - but my connection most certainly would have.
2) left at office, when a remote factory visit takes hours longer than expected and a nearby hotel is desired. This has resulted in some very late night taxi rides.
3) left in seatback pocket connecting to intl. walked away from gate, thought for. moment, and turned right back around. The gate agent actually let me back down the jet bridge, as reboarding was still in progress,where the purser handed it to me.

Last edited by JShLin; Sep 13, 2019 at 9:17 am
Old Sep 13, 2019, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by JShLin
ooh, I have a few.

1) I've mixed up 6am and 6pm on a BOS-DFW-PDX routing on US; made it rebooked for free, but lost paid first.

2) booking hotels in China, with Ctrip the date selection requires you click yes to update. I didn't, and my booking was thusly for the wrong date. Out one nights cost.

3) the worst is Probably the *5* times I've forgotten to bring my laptop charger on one of those china trips, and having to buy a $70 replacement, shipped in as Universal's don't work. Now
I keep one at the office in China, one in every place I usually use my laptop, and I just bought a new laptop that uses the same charger, so now I have 7 chargers.
This is why I like my new laptop which has USB-C. Much easier.
FlyingHighlander likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Just did something stupid. I have been reading about Bahrain eventually no longer issuing visas on arrival, but rather requiring e-visa in advance. So I found the e-visa site and applied. BD 29 (around $76). Said it would be issued in 3-5 days, my trip was in 7 days.

Turns out you can get a visa on arrival for BD 5. This was prominently displayed on the e-visa web site, but I didn't bother to check the details.

To add insult to injury, my e-visa was not issued in time, so I ended up having to buy the arrival visa anyway. The e-visa must be used within one month of being issued or else it's invalid, so I probably will never use it. (The e-visa gets multiple entries for three months from the first use, which is the only advantage of it. So there are very limited circumstances under which it would make sense to buy it instead of just getting the arrival visa.)
Old Sep 15, 2019, 5:11 pm

Once I checked a bag to YYZ...And thten completely forgot I had done so. Only remembered I was missing a suitcase while sitting on the UP Express well on the way into town. Oops.

LH staff were amazingly helpful, patient, and kind, even reassuring me that such things happened all the time. Snarky CBSA agent was incredulous that I could be so stupid but did let me through to retrieve my bag. Overall 2 hours and an extra train ticket for a good story
Old Sep 15, 2019, 9:30 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by mecabq
Just did something stupid. I have been reading about Bahrain eventually no longer issuing visas on arrival, but rather requiring e-visa in advance. So I found the e-visa site and applied. BD 29 (around $76). Said it would be issued in 3-5 days, my trip was in 7 days.

Turns out you can get a visa on arrival for BD 5. This was prominently displayed on the e-visa web site, but I didn't bother to check the details.

To add insult to injury, my e-visa was not issued in time, so I ended up having to buy the arrival visa anyway. The e-visa must be used within one month of being issued or else it's invalid, so I probably will never use it. (The e-visa gets multiple entries for three months from the first use, which is the only advantage of it. So there are very limited circumstances under which it would make sense to buy it instead of just getting the arrival visa.)
I've made that exact same mistake before, although mine did get issued in time.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 5:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Diamond, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
3 Incidents that come to mind.

1:
Booking flights Ex London, out bound flight out of LHR with IB and not noticing that my return journey landed into LGW 10 days later. I had my car left at LHR T5
I didn't realise until I was back in MAD after a redeye from EZE and checked my boarding pass, had to take the express train into Victoria and take the tube to LHR to get my car.
In the end the parking was only another £15 or so and the train fare but the biggest cost in my eyes was getting home 5 hours later than I wanted as by the time I got the car traffic was appalling.

2:
Trying to get into OZ lounge at ICN, flying Y with CX, hand over my mobile with BP and Passport (that she asked for) and the lounge dragon wanted to see my invitation. I explained I only had a mobile BP and no hand luggage so came straight to security, but Oneworld tell me as a Emerald I can use this lounge. She's quite insistent that she needs an invitation, eventually in a tired rage I just walk off, with her doing her best attempt to shout me back, albeit it in a Korean quiet way. 1 hour and half later after having resided myself to a god awful PP lounge I get to the gate as it's closing and when I scan my boarding pass they ask for my passport, I check where my passport is always placed and it isn't there, whilst I'm panicking I look up and the gate agent has my passport. I had left it at the lounge desk in my rage, and they dragon had it delivered to the gate.

3: (This is the most recent)
Flying CX to HKG, I gave myself less time than I should of to drive to LHR and found myself arriving at T3 short stay car park 1hr 5 minutes before departure. I'm not one to be arriving at airports hours ahead but this was probably 45 minutes later than I would be comfortable with. So I park at the first free space, grab my bags and walk with haste to security, after security it was pretty much straight to the gate and after a 5 minute email check I bordered the plane so made the flight and all that etc. 3 days later I land back at LHR at get back to my car. I check my key pouch. Whilst my house keys were there, my car key wasn't. I stand there thinking, what on earth did I do with them, after racking my brain I recollect that I had actually had no memory of locking the car. I go to the drivers door, it opens and lying on the middle of the drivers seat is the car keys, which must of fallen out of my pocket in the rush to get out, and in the chaos of getting through security I forgot to check.

So far in my travel career I've been quite lucky in terms the outcome of things going wrong.
freQ likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by JShLin
the worst is Probably the *5* times I've forgotten to bring my laptop charger on one of those china trips, and having to buy a $70 replacement, shipped in as Universal's don't work. Now
No, this is absolutely normal behavior. What is worse, my work laptop requires a particular charger that is not widely available outside the US, so have had to have several shipped over when traveling for work. If I could use a MacBook, those are available anywhere.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I don't know if it's that dumb...but it was quite amusing. I forgot to pack any trousers for a Tuesday-Friday business trip to my company HQ.

I was flying there on Monday evening having packed shortly before going to the airport and as we were descending into CLT, for some unknown reason it hit me that I forgot to pack any I wasn't due to arrive until late night so wore the (admittedly smart, dark washed) jeans I flew down in to the office on Tuesday then went to the nearby Nordstrom after work. My company is business casual so I didn't stand out too much but I'm one of only two people that work from home full time so I didn't want people to think I was being arrogant and taking liberties with the corporate dress code on my fleeting office trip
Old Sep 18, 2019, 12:41 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by Fraser
I don't know if it's that dumb...but it was quite amusing. I forgot to pack any trousers for a Tuesday-Friday business trip to my company HQ.

I was flying there on Monday evening having packed shortly before going to the airport and as we were descending into CLT, for some unknown reason it hit me that I forgot to pack any I wasn't due to arrive until late night so wore the (admittedly smart, dark washed) jeans I flew down in to the office on Tuesday then went to the nearby Nordstrom after work. My company is business casual so I didn't stand out too much but I'm one of only two people that work from home full time so I didn't want people to think I was being arrogant and taking liberties with the corporate dress code on my fleeting office trip
I forgot to pack underwear on a trip once… only realized after showering the next morning and before having to head into the office. Pretty bad thing to forget.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by Leaping_Deere
3 Incidents that come to mind.

1:
Booking flights Ex London, out bound flight out of LHR with IB and not noticing that my return journey landed into LGW 10 days later. I had my car left at LHR T5
I didn't realise until I was back in MAD after a redeye from EZE and checked my boarding pass, had to take the express train into Victoria and take the tube to LHR to get my car.
In the end the parking was only another £15 or so and the train fare but the biggest cost in my eyes was getting home 5 hours later than I wanted as by the time I got the car traffic was appalling.

2:
Trying to get into OZ lounge at ICN, flying Y with CX, hand over my mobile with BP and Passport (that she asked for) and the lounge dragon wanted to see my invitation. I explained I only had a mobile BP and no hand luggage so came straight to security, but Oneworld tell me as a Emerald I can use this lounge. She's quite insistent that she needs an invitation, eventually in a tired rage I just walk off, with her doing her best attempt to shout me back, albeit it in a Korean quiet way. 1 hour and half later after having resided myself to a god awful PP lounge I get to the gate as it's closing and when I scan my boarding pass they ask for my passport, I check where my passport is always placed and it isn't there, whilst I'm panicking I look up and the gate agent has my passport. I had left it at the lounge desk in my rage, and they dragon had it delivered to the gate.

3: (This is the most recent)
Flying CX to HKG, I gave myself less time than I should of to drive to LHR and found myself arriving at T3 short stay car park 1hr 5 minutes before departure. I'm not one to be arriving at airports hours ahead but this was probably 45 minutes later than I would be comfortable with. So I park at the first free space, grab my bags and walk with haste to security, after security it was pretty much straight to the gate and after a 5 minute email check I bordered the plane so made the flight and all that etc. 3 days later I land back at LHR at get back to my car. I check my key pouch. Whilst my house keys were there, my car key wasn't. I stand there thinking, what on earth did I do with them, after racking my brain I recollect that I had actually had no memory of locking the car. I go to the drivers door, it opens and lying on the middle of the drivers seat is the car keys, which must of fallen out of my pocket in the rush to get out, and in the chaos of getting through security I forgot to check.

So far in my travel career I've been quite lucky in terms the outcome of things going wrong.
Ummm…...yeah!

Last edited by trooper; Sep 18, 2019 at 1:05 am
Old Sep 18, 2019, 3:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Diamond, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by trooper
Ummm…...yeah!
What's your insinuation? There isn't a Oneworld lounge at ICN, American, BA, Cathay and I Qatar IIRC all use Asiana west lounge.

I went as a Oneworld Emerald, I wasn't demanding entry, I was going to where the Oneworld website told me to go.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Dumbest one was bringing my Certificate of Baptism (Instead of Birth Certificate) to a cruise out of Miami which was pre 9/11. They did let me on, but it was a bit embarrassing.

In second place: I needed to make same day flight/hotel/car reservations for a last minute family issue in FL a couple of years ago. Flight was fine. Car rental was fine. I showed up at the Hilton Garden in Palm Beach Gardens at 1 a.m. and the FDC asked me what I was doing there. I had stayed there a number of times and he recognized me, but obviously didn't have a reservation. I must have not clicked all the way through and completed the reservation. The page prior to purchase on the Hilton website does tend to look like you're done, so I must have gotten there and moved on to packing. Thankfully he had a room for me.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by helvetic
I forgot to pack underwear on a trip once… only realized after showering the next morning and before having to head into the office. Pretty bad thing to forget.
Doh! I forgot that I did that once. I did realize it the first night though. It was a short trip so I washed my underwear before going to bed a couple of nights and dried them with the blow dryer.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 12:25 pm

ATL-DEN - captain comes out and tells everyone the flight is delayed 2 hours due to a maintenance issue. Wife and I head to the airport bar. Apparently they located a new aircraft and started boarding maybe 20 minutes later... we ended up having to leave the next day because we missed the flight.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 1:53 am

This is some years ago:

I decided to make an impromptu trip to Asia - and wanted to leave right away. The website of the flight/airline of choice wouldn't let me book less than three days in advance. I gambled and booked a positioning flight on WN leaving the next day - and also a return some weeks later. After arrival at the connecting airport, once check-in for the ULH TPAC flight opened, I went up to the counter and purchased a round trip ticket. I was put on the spot having to figure out my needed return date. After some mental gyrations considering the flight duration, crossing the international date line, having to specify the departure time not landing time, and needing to arrive late the evening before my early morning WN flight home, I blurted out a day.

While relaxing mid-vacation, I decided to double check my flight arrangements. Oops! My return was one day later than needed to meet the position flight. The ULH flight took off Wednesday evening around 9:30PM, landed Wednesday evening around 9:20PM, and my WN flight was for 6:00AM on ... Wednesday morning. A quick web visit to Southwest and I changed to Thursday morning. And oh, there was now a fare sale in progress and I received a $10 credit!

(The literally last minute ULH ticket price was very reasonable. There was a fare sale going on, plus the airline wasn't raising prices on last minute bookings.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.