Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

The dumbest travel-related mistake you ever made?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The dumbest travel-related mistake you ever made?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2018, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mdkowals
Have a second one. Flying from PEK to STL via ORD a few years back. At PEK my boarding pass from PEK to ORD had "SSSS" printed on where it normally says "TSA Pre-Check". I didn't know what that meant at the time. My ORD-STL boarding pass was blank, no SSSS, no TSA-Precheck, nothing.

I get screened boarding the plane at PEK, realizing what the SSSS was. I justified to myself the that the other boarding pass was blank because a Chinese system won't necessarily print out a "TSA Pre-Check", since that's an American program.
Interesting. My wife is likely to get SSSSed at PVG--but it's just ink, nothing happens at security. This only happens on the international leg, she doesn't get SSSSed within the US. (Although it does mean something in Vancouver.)
Old Apr 13, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Skymiles
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Interesting. My wife is likely to get SSSSed at PVG--but it's just ink, nothing happens at security. This only happens on the international leg, she doesn't get SSSSed within the US. (Although it does mean something in Vancouver.)
I'm guessing if I hadn't thrown away the boarding pass issued at PEK and re-printed it at ORD I wouldn't have gotten SSSSpecial treatment in the ORD security line.

The screening at PEK was fairly simple, turn on the computer, etc... It was conducted in the jetway as we were boarding the aircraft.

The SSSScreening at ORD took about an extra half hour and would result in no less than 4 criminal charges if you or I tried it.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 9:40 am

Like everyone I've made a number of minor mistakes when travelling, but I think the dumbest is when I went to DUS when my Ryanair flight was in fact from NRN. Did not occur to me that Dusseldorf had two airports. I read later that a court actually blocked the airport from having Dusseldorf in the name because it was too confusing to passengers, but Ryanair still calls it "Dusseldorf-Weeze".

When I discovered my mistake, I took two trains and a very fast Mercedes taxi to NRN but just missed my flight, had to spend the night in Nijmegen and take the same flight the next day. Oh well, lesson learned.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by mustang281man
Showed up to the airport (US) for a flight to Australia. Didn’t realize my Australian visa was over a year old so it was expired. Luckily I was able to get it online and only took about 10 minutes. I was in a bit of a panic though.
we don't just let in any riff raff without the right Visa!!
Old May 8, 2018, 2:57 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
My dad and I were flying to MIA last week. While in the air he handed me a manila envelope full of mundane stuff. I set it down next to my bag. We got off the plane and were entering the Admirals Club when he mentioned a check that had been mistakenly sent to him instead of me was in the envelope. Thankfully after making up an excuse that I wanted to go for a walk so he didn't think his oldest son was a dingbat, I got back to the plane as they were still offloading it and a gate agent was able to retrieve the envelope.
Old May 9, 2018, 10:08 am

Mine just happened last weekend. My partner's parents live on Coronado, we fly down pretty often and when we do he usually leaves a couple days earlier so he can have some time with them before I come down. We usually fly down on AS because they have a direct flight that allows us to leave right after work, and fly home on WN because they have a direct flight that gets us home at a reasonable hour.

We fly on our separate one-way out bounds, no problem. Next to last day, I quickly printed our return boarding passes and put them aside. The following day, as we're walking out the door to the airport I go to hand my partner his boarding pass, and I realize that both boarding passes have MY name on them. I somehow booked both tickets in my name. Commence panic! I tried calling customer service but there would be a 15-20 min hold. So I quickly went online and bought a last minute ticket for him on WN to guarantee he could fly home with me.

On the way to the airport, I had already conceded that the $400 for the last minute ticket was gone but I was just hoping I could get a credit for my second ticket. When we got to the airport, first thing I notice is that there's not a single person at the WN check-in counters. Not a single person, even with an agent. I'm feeling lucky, so I walk up to the happiest looking agent, tell them my story and say what I think happened. I was using auto-fill in chrome to input my contact info and it somehow overwrote both passenger names. I showed her the two boarding passes with my name on it. Luckily, the DOB for the second ticket was not changed. So, after the agent looked at my partner's drivers license, she changed the name on the ticket (different first and last name!) and handed us new boarding passes. I was elated. I then showed her the last minute ticket I had just booked, she canceled that ticket and refunded the $400!

So, in the end I got very lucky. One of my worst mistakes was on one of the most flexible airlines.
MDFFlyer likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by DutchessPDX
Mine just happened last weekend. My partner's parents live on Coronado, we fly down pretty often and when we do he usually leaves a couple days earlier so he can have some time with them before I come down. We usually fly down on AS because they have a direct flight that allows us to leave right after work, and fly home on WN because they have a direct flight that gets us home at a reasonable hour.

We fly on our separate one-way out bounds, no problem. Next to last day, I quickly printed our return boarding passes and put them aside. The following day, as we're walking out the door to the airport I go to hand my partner his boarding pass, and I realize that both boarding passes have MY name on them. I somehow booked both tickets in my name. Commence panic! I tried calling customer service but there would be a 15-20 min hold. So I quickly went online and bought a last minute ticket for him on WN to guarantee he could fly home with me.

On the way to the airport, I had already conceded that the $400 for the last minute ticket was gone but I was just hoping I could get a credit for my second ticket. When we got to the airport, first thing I notice is that there's not a single person at the WN check-in counters. Not a single person, even with an agent. I'm feeling lucky, so I walk up to the happiest looking agent, tell them my story and say what I think happened. I was using auto-fill in chrome to input my contact info and it somehow overwrote both passenger names. I showed her the two boarding passes with my name on it. Luckily, the DOB for the second ticket was not changed. So, after the agent looked at my partner's drivers license, she changed the name on the ticket (different first and last name!) and handed us new boarding passes. I was elated. I then showed her the last minute ticket I had just booked, she canceled that ticket and refunded the $400!

So, in the end I got very lucky. One of my worst mistakes was on one of the most flexible airlines.
That sounds like extraordinary customer service, but dang it, that shouldn't be extraordinary. Well done WN.
Old May 9, 2018, 5:42 pm

Programs: Too many to list
I left my passport at Global Entry kiosk 2 months ago
Old May 16, 2018, 1:23 pm

My sister just went to SXF to catch her TXL-LHR flight....
Old May 16, 2018, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by bacchus85
Only a 30m taxi unless it's rush hour!
Old May 19, 2018, 9:06 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bacchus85
My dad did that 13 years ago. He was commuting weekly between New York and Raleigh and was alternating between using EWR and JFK. He showed up at EWR one Thursday when his flight that week was booked out of JFK. Cost him $80 for a cab ride.
Old May 20, 2018, 5:46 am

Programs: Delta-Million miler
Angry I didn't learn from my past mistakes!

I book my flight to Lisbon on May 4th returning on 8th
I book my flight to Kilimanjaro for August
Send passport to Tanzanian Embassy on April 28th without realizing that I was to fly to Lisbon in a week.
On May 3rd, start packing for Lisbon and realize that I didn't have my passport.
Frantic call to Tanzanian Embassy at 9Am on 4th to see whether i could collect my passport-No answer.
Call US Passport agency but no appointment was available and long lines-no guarantee of a new passport or emergency passport.
cancelled flight, cancelled hotel, lost the registration I paid for the Lisbon meeting.
Still waiting for the passport-from USPS delivery troubles

Last edited by Gynob001; May 20, 2018 at 8:14 am
Old May 20, 2018, 5:46 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by ThePointsCollector
I left my passport at Global Entry kiosk 2 months ago
I did this some years ago after a redeye into IAH. At the time the machines did not ask you to remove the passport before letting you continue. The newer machines were blue, same color as the passport cover, while the older ones were gray. At the time you also didn't need to show the passport to CBP (you do now in some places). Managed to get it back after quickly realizing the mistake.
Old May 20, 2018, 7:41 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Gynob001
I book my flight to Lisbon on May 4th returning on 8th
I book my flight to Kilimanjaro for August
Send passport to Tanzanian Embassy on April 28th without realizing that I was to fly to Lisbon in a week.
On May 3rd, start packing for Lisbon and realize that I didn't have my passport.
Frantic call to Tanzanian Embassy at 9Am on 4th to see whether i could collect my passport-No answer.
Call US Passport agency but no appointment was available and long lines-no guarantee of a new passport or emergency passport.
cancelled flight, cancelled hotel, lost the registration I paid for the Lisbon meeting.
Still waiting for the passport-from USPS delivery troubles

My biggest mess up by far was 2014 Olympics. Had tickets, hotel reservations, plane tickets all the way to Sochi for me and my cousin. 1 month before I was scheduled to fly he tells me to give him my passport info (Im dual citizen and still have my russian passport) so we can get "Fan passport" to enter Olympic venues. I get my passport and bam, slap me hard and call me Sally.. It expired in May of 2013. So I get on a first flight and fly to consulate thinking I can get my passport renewed. ......... looks at my passport, my old birth certificate and tell me since I have been living in the US for most my life and my passport has expired, they will need to research my "citizenship availability" according to were I was born and lived some efing 30 years ago. I said, here's 3 of my passports, including one from ole' USSR and my Birth Certificate saying I was born in Moscow. Nope no good. Tells me they have to send all of my info to main FSB office and do background check. Seriously??? Then I show him my US passport and ask him if I can have Russia visa issued to me. His reply "Russian citizens aren't supposed to have visas and have to enter of Russian passports. We do not recognize dual citizenship either.". I was like - "here we go, you just confirmed my citizenship". He didn't take that smart ... comment very well and I ended up waiting 6 month for new passport and had to cancel all of my reservations
Old May 24, 2018, 4:47 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Mine was just yesterday. Flying ATH-MUC-ORD-YYZ-YQR. 6 am first flight. Cleared security in Athens. No further security in Munich, TSA Precheck in ORD and additional security in YYZ. Arrived home 33 hours after leaving our hotel in Athens. During unpacking I found that my laptop bag has no laptop in it. I figured out it had to have been left at security in Athens, so called Lost and Found and sure enough they have it.
My current problem is how to get it back. The Airport Police have given me a reference number and asked me to email them details of who will pick it up. Called DHL in Athens who sent me a form to fill in, scan and send back. Now just hoping and praying with every extremity crossed. I am a little worried as DHL Canada has replied to an earlier on line request I made, stating that they cannot ship to Canada without an Importation Account. I have also read on line that couriers will not pick up a non packaged item, which it obviously isn't. Oh well I'll just keep on hoping.
MarTN likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.