Reload this Page >

Not switching seats with someone

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not switching seats with someone

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2010, 3:31 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite (*G), SK EB Silver, various more or less shiny hotel cards
As you will see from many, many FT-threads on this topic, it's not rude to ask in a polite and pleasant manner. But it's rude to assume that the answer will be positive or to demand that someone change out of a seat he/she pre-booked.
Old May 3, 2010, 3:36 am
STM

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by kimmielou01
Hi !

I just got confirmation of my first upgrade as silver (surprise!) but we ended up in 3-A and 4-A. I know ailse seats are desirable for alot a people, but would it be rude to ask either 3B or 4B to switch with one of us? Thank you!
It's not rude to ask, but be prepared for the answer to be no. A lot of people specifically choose aisle seats for a reason (as you mention) and may simply not want to switch. I'm usually happy to switch, as I've found myself in your positioin more than once. My advice is to ask kindly and humbly and give the person an out (e.g. " I know you have an aisle seat and may not want to move, etc.").
Old May 3, 2010, 3:40 am

Programs: DL Silver/1MM - EK Platinum - HH Gold
Originally Posted by tourist
As you will see from many, many FT-threads on this topic, it's not rude to ask in a polite and pleasant manner. But it's rude to assume that the answer will be positive or to demand that someone change out of a seat he/she pre-booked.
+1
Old May 3, 2010, 5:32 am

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
You both have aisle seats which are often desired. You may find it quite easy to ask 3B or 4B to switch given that they will end up in an aisle. If 3B doesn't go for it, maybe 4B will.

While I will usually switch when asked, I don't like giving up an aisle for a window seat but will usually do so - some will not. Giving up a window for an aisle is a no brainer for me.
Old May 3, 2010, 5:39 am

Programs: DL Platinum MM, Marriott Gold
Most people prefer aisle seats, so I don't think you'd have any problem getting 3-B or 4-B to move to the aisle. In the general case, though, I wouldn't ask an aisle seat person to move to a window seat.
Old May 3, 2010, 5:41 am

Programs: DL-PM/MM, Marriott Platinum (Lifetime), Hertz President's Circle
As everyone else said, just ask politely - nothing ventured, nothing gained. One thing I've seen is some folks board and put their stuff into the "new seat" before asking, just assuming the pax will switch. This is definitely rude and a no-no in my book.
Old May 3, 2010, 5:41 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by bwhite
You both have aisle seats which are often desired. You may find it quite easy to ask 3B or 4B to switch given that they will end up in an aisle. If 3B doesn't go for it, maybe 4B will.

While I will usually switch when asked, I don't like giving up an aisle for a window seat but will usually do so - some will not. Giving up a window for an aisle is a no brainer for me.

Aren't A seats on the windows, not aisles?
Old May 3, 2010, 5:43 am

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
Originally Posted by dickinson
Aren't A seats on the windows, not aisles?
Oops. Brain fart. Coffee hasn't kicked in yet...
Old May 3, 2010, 5:51 am

Programs: DL Gold, CO Silver
If someone is already sitting in my seat -ie making the assumption that I'll change-I refuse on principle. Generally otherwise if it's a decent seat I'll switch.

If I don't get adjacent seats myself though unless it's a really long flight I don't bother looking for a switch for myself. Seeing couples who can't bear to be seated apart for an hour long flight is a real eye roll moment for me though

Recently a guy had moved back a row into my seat and told me dismisively "You can sit in mine" He obviously fancied the empty seat next to mine (which was actually booked for my son) . I asked him to move (nicely) again and he told me I was making a fuss and to go sit down (!!) so I just told the FA there was confusion with the seat numbers and let her sort it out. Of course I was rewarded by his seat slamming right back as soon as we took off. Hope the charm school came through with his refund

Last edited by duchy; May 3, 2010 at 5:58 am
Old May 3, 2010, 6:32 am

Programs: DAL Plat, HH LT Diamond

tone of voice and mannerisms will be the yes/no tiebreaker for getting me to switch.

never really care much when in "V"... but in coach i will not take a "worse" seat than my own... more often than not, someone wants you not only to switch seats - they want you to take a worse seat than the one you have...

find the lady who wanted my 18F seat one day and ask her how i handle rude people (she was in 17F and wanted "a reclining seat")

doug
Old May 3, 2010, 7:11 am

Programs: DL PM, USLess air & HHoners
I'll generally switch too if it's in First/Business, no problem... Now if I'm in coach, got my seats 6 months in advance, picked the emergency window and some self-entitled person comes up and asks me if I would like the middle seat in the non-emergency row in front of me (actually happened) I tend to become very sarcastic when I say NO...

Rant over... Hope that you guys can work out the seating...
Old May 3, 2010, 7:20 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by duchy
If someone is already sitting in my seat -ie making the assumption that I'll change-I refuse on principle.
Glad to see Im not the only person who does this

I have seen people assume someone will agree to the change and sit, order a drink and spread out, only to point to a less desirable seat when the seatholder arrives. That person then has to decide whether to make a scene or slink into an often-less-desirable seat.

I must admit, though, that I have, on occasion, asked others to change for me and my wife. So I am often conflicted when someone asks me to move from an aisle to a window so they can sit with their partnerand I often will do so. But not always.
Old May 3, 2010, 7:20 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
IMHO if you have been upgraded, then you should not consider asking..just be Pleased or Return to your Paid seats in Coach and offer your First Seats to less demanding travelers.

We are talking a only hours being a few feet apart..its not The End of The World.

If the people in the adjacent seats can't see/notice you are traveling with a Companion and do not offer, then assume they don't want to move.

As a lone traveler I get annoyed and embarassed when I Choose to Refuse.
Old May 3, 2010, 7:24 am

Most 1st class passengers respond favorable to a friendly, reasonable, non pushy request. A large percentage are there on upgrades. We have only been refused 4 times out of maybe 100. I always cooperate in the above case. One time a man declined swapping and proceeded to spill a whole glass of red wine on himself. There is Karma.
Old May 3, 2010, 7:25 am

Programs: NWA Tears
In first it's pretty rare that people won't switch if you ask nicely. If they say no, continue to be nice 'cause it's not unusual for people to change their minds. The one time I didn't switch with someone was when an associate was across the aisle and we needed to talk a little and exchange some things we were working on.

I once asked a guy if he'd mind switching so I could sit next to my wife (we were in first) and he refused and acted like a jerk about it. Guess who showed up in my office for an interview about a year later? It's a much smaller world than people realize.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.