Wiki Posts
Search

Not switching seats with someone

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2009, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Not switching seats with someone

Yesterday on AA 87 (LHR to ORD) I was about to board and get in my 8J seat when they paged me to the counter. My seat was broken and I'd been moved to 11H. No harm no foul. I get on the plane and find someone in 11H. He said he switched with the person that was originally sitting there. I told him that that person was being moved to first and it was now my seat, but he made no move to get up. At all. He said that he had already traded and wanted to sit there because his partner was in 11J. I showed him my boarding pass, and nothing. No apology. No asking. Just sqauatters rights for the most part. I could tell that I was going to have to get someone very official to pry him out of the seat, so I went to his old seat, 8H. Well, in row 9 there was a family (two parents, one three year old and one lap child) who were the WORST people I've ever seen on a plane. The kids threw things, screamed, slamed things open and shut, cried, etc. for *8 straight hours*. I could only rest if I had my Bose and earplugs on, which makes for not the best or most comfortable sleep. 11H and J, if I ever see you again, don't be surprised if you get the worst case of stink eye you've ever seen. For all others, let me tell you that at least with me, squating in my seat, or not getting up when I show you my boarding pass, will NEVER work getting me to trade with you again. Lesson learned.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Why not discuss it w/the FA rather than giving up your assigned seat.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 8:04 am

Programs: AA PLT, AA 1MM, Marriott GLD
I agree. It was your seat. Squatters' rights don't apply on airplanes.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 8:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by Icesk8er1970
the worst case of stink eye you've ever seen.

I don't know what this is, but I certainly don't want it.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 8:08 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543
I don't know what this is, but I certainly don't want it.

In my professional opinion antibiotics are needed.....
Old Jun 19, 2009, 8:15 am

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
So your original seat was 8H which was broken, you ended up in 8J instead. So really, if wasn't for the broken seat, you'd have screaming kids anyways???

Also, screaming baby in row 9 will certainly be nearly as annoying to someone in row 11.

Granted, sounds like the guy in row 11 was a douche, I constantly trade with people in F/J when I'm traveling with my fiance so we can sit together. Most of the time, people willingly trade with me (like seats, window for window/aisle for aisle, etc.). However, once in a while there's some jacka$$ who won't trade. I can't stand those people, like their entitled to that specific seat (which they are), but have some consideration for others. Sorry, this was more of a personal rant.

Anyways, to the original thread topic, people who don't switch seats for like or better seats are in my opinion A-holes. I understand switching aisle for window or anything for center, or moving back in the plane or moving too far away from bags, but people on flights should try to accommodate people traveling together if it doesn't affect them negatively.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 8:22 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by BrianV
So your original seat was 8H which was broken, you ended up in 8J instead. So really, if wasn't for the broken seat, you'd have screaming kids anyways???

Also, screaming baby in row 9 will certainly be nearly as annoying to someone in row 11.

Granted, sounds like the guy in row 11 was a douche, I constantly trade with people in F/J when I'm traveling with my fiance so we can sit together. Most of the time, people willingly trade with me (like seats, window for window/aisle for aisle, etc.). However, once in a while there's some jacka$$ who won't trade. I can't stand those people, like their entitled to that specific seat (which they are), but have some consideration for others. Sorry, this was more of a personal rant.

Anyways, to the original thread topic, people who don't switch seats for like or better seats are in my opinion A-holes. I understand switching aisle for window or anything for center, or moving back in the plane or moving too far away from bags, but people on flights should try to accommodate people traveling together if it doesn't affect them negatively.
I agree with you wholeheartedly (although I might have put some of it differently )

I do think avoiding a sense of entitlement or certitude of the request being granted is in the first instance polite and the right thing to do, but also helps to ensure the smallminded perspective "it is my seat and you can't have it" doesn't rear its ugly head in the people who do have this D-bag "gene"- but it is recessive.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 8:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Most of the time, people willingly trade with me (like seats, window for window/aisle for aisle, etc.). However, once in a while there's some jacka$$ who won't trade. I can't stand those people, like their entitled to that specific seat (which they are), but have some consideration for others. Sorry, this was more of a personal rant.
It is ok to ask someone to move, but it is perfectly reasonable for that person to decline. I would be likely to decline a move from a middle block aisle to a side block aisle on flights which I take since I can be sure of no one wanting to climb over me to get out ( 2-2-2 ) configuration. There is no reason to expect someone to move to satisfy your desires; if wanting to sit together then ensure that it is done by check in. Seems a case of DYKWIA to class those that wont do what you want to be donkeys

Dave
Old Jun 19, 2009, 8:28 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It is ok to ask someone to move, but it is perfectly reasonable for that person to decline. I would be likely to decline a move from a middle block aisle to a side block aisle on flights which I take since I can be sure of no one wanting to climb over me to get out ( 2-2-2 ) configuration. There is no reason to expect someone to move to satisfy your desires; if wanting to sit together then ensure that it is done by check in. Seems a case of DYKWIA to class those that wont do what you want to be donkeys

Dave
I think Brian's post, and mine too, implied "like or better" seats.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 8:31 am

Programs: AA PLT, AA 1MM, Marriott GLD
It is ok to ask someone to move, but it is perfectly reasonable for that person to decline. I would be likely to decline a move from a middle block aisle to a side block aisle on flights which I take since I can be sure of no one wanting to climb over me to get out ( 2-2-2 ) configuration.
but people on flights should try to accommodate people traveling together if it doesn't affect them negatively.
This brings up an important principle; if you are going to ask someone to switch, make sure they're getting an equal if not better seat. Don't ask someone to give up their window seat to switch with your companion who has a middle seat.

But to the point of the OP, there's a difference in asking to switch and in just taking another seat because you want it. I wouldn't hesitate to ask a FA to intervene in that situation, although I admit, it's difficult to imagine someone being that much of a jerk, to take someone's seat without asking and refuse to relinquish it.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bdemaria
Why not discuss it w/the FA rather than giving up your assigned seat.
+1
The FA would have resolved the situation immediately, and you would have been in 11H.

OP, are you really EXP?
Old Jun 19, 2009, 8:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
I constantly trade with people in F/J when I'm traveling with my fiance so we can sit together. Most of the time, people willingly trade with me (like seats, window for window/aisle for aisle, etc.). However, once in a while there's some jacka$$ who won't trade. I can't stand those people, like their entitled to that specific seat (which they are), but have some consideration for others. Sorry, this was more of a personal rant.
Doesn't sound like the person who won't trade with BrianV is the one with the sense of entitlement.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There is no reason to expect someone to move to satisfy your desires; if wanting to sit together then ensure that it is done by check in. Seems a case of DYKWIA to class those that wont do what you want to be donkeys
Agreed.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 8:36 am

Programs: AA lifetime GOLD, but still an AA Baby compare to people here. CX nobody. BR Silver.
So for someone's opinion. A wants to sit with his friend or wife. A has B's seat assignment. A won't give it up. A did not ask nicely or apology. End up B is a jacka$$?

I don't mind to exchange the seat assignment if someone ask me nicely. If someone is in my seat assignment and he/she thinks he/she entitles to it, then I will think I entitle to it.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 8:36 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by SFO777
+1
The FA would have resolved the situation immediately, and you would have been in 11H.

Are you really EXP?
It appears that OP didn't want the seat much if s/he didn't contact the FA to deal with this, especially after suggesting that it would require "someone very official." The person who used to sit in that seat doesn't qualify in that capacity.

I think the lesson that should be learned is "if you want something to happen, find the way to make it happen."

Cheers.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 8:40 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum

Anyways, to the original thread topic, people who don't switch seats for like or better seats are in my opinion A-holes.
Originally Posted by yuchung5

I don't mind to exchange the seat assignment if someone ask me nicely. If someone is in the seat assignment and he/she thinks he/she entitles to it, then I will think I entitle to it.
Exactly, yuchung5. There is no obligation to switch the seat,especially for a squatter. And this comes from a former squatter when mrs. brp and I got upgrades and were not together. After reading some threads on it here, I realized how rude we appeared, even though we were never turned down. We never do that now, and I'd be likely to turn down a squatter's request if they seemed to feel entitled (we never did, but were very nice). A lot of it is about attitude.

The guy in the OP's post would have been getting out of my seat.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.