Search

Need to know tonight - Packing a Balloon

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2009, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
Need to know tonight - Packing a Balloon

Last minute desperate question here.

I am flying home tomorrow after doing a weekend visit to a friends family. He has two stepkids, and their real Dad, who just about everyone loved, was killed a few weekends ago in a car accident. Anyway, I got a balloon animal from one of the kids, and it really means a lot to me. But I have absolutely no idea how to get it back north. Any one have any ideas?
Old Mar 29, 2009, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA EP; Bonvoy Platinum: Hilton Gold
Carry on? I have seen a lot worse, like live crabs or sombreos.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 8:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
Even in a carry on, there are air pressure changes. Depending on your starting/ending altitudes you may be OK, but if you are starting at sea level and the cabin is pressurized to about 8,000 feet, I think its likely the balloon will pop.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 9:20 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
I've seen balloons refused at boarding. They often don't fit in the overhead or under the seat in front of you, the crew won't let them just sit on your lap, and as mentined above, the air pressure changes may cause them to pop. I'd be surprised if you're let on the plane with one.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 9:34 pm

UPS Ground?
Old Mar 29, 2009, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Dan_E
Carry on? I have seen a lot worse, like live crabs or sombreos.
I don't think I'd be bragging about the crabs.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

It's a, i don't know, dog or something. It's not a big round balloon. But you are right - I did not think about the pressure change.

Maybe I can figure a way to uninflate it. That would be a good invention - reuseable balloons!
Old Mar 30, 2009, 6:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, RCC, HH GOLD, SPG, OMNI, KIMPTON, A-CLUB
Originally Posted by Cloudship
Last minute desperate question here.

I am flying home tomorrow after doing a weekend visit to a friends family. He has two stepkids, and their real Dad, who just about everyone loved, was killed a few weekends ago in a car accident. Anyway, I got a balloon animal from one of the kids, and it really means a lot to me. But I have absolutely no idea how to get it back north. Any one have any ideas?
My cousin took a ballon home in her checked luggage. The pressure caused it to pop, and the plane to divert and make an emergency landing. She was fined quite a bit.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 6:56 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Originally Posted by czarina
My cousin took a ballon home in her checked luggage. The pressure caused it to pop, and the plane to divert and make an emergency landing. She was fined quite a bit.
Right. Someone heard the balloon pop in checked luggage, and then they figured out which suitcase the now deflated balloon was in after the plane diverted and landed? Sorry, but I'm a bit skeptical on this one. And she was fined for what? Having a balloon in her suitcase?
Old Mar 30, 2009, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Well, turned out to be a moot point - I ended up popping it before I got a chance to pack it.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by czarina
You left out the part where the O2 masks dropped down.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 3:12 pm

Programs: Red Sox Nation
Originally Posted by N965VJ
You left out the part where the O2 masks dropped down.
Did the bag inflate????

HOW DO I KNOW IF OXYGEN IS FLOWING????

/so scared/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.