Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

If you had unlimited funds for a dream "round the world" trip...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If you had unlimited funds for a dream "round the world" trip...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2009, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gcsmith
I wouldn't worry so much about maximizing airtime. Comfortable airplane seats are a nice way to get there, but it is about the destination for me.
Exactly! And what's with the 777s and 380s that can't land in/take off from most airports?
The ideal plane for me would be an Embraer Lineage 1000, but, assuming unlimited time (in addition to unlimited money), I have no issues flying commercially and taking in the hustle and bustle of airports, lounges and so on....

An ideal RTW for me would include a lot of places in S. America and Africa in addition to more well-visited destinations like HKG and TYO. Europe wouldn't really interest me, since I've been to most parts and it's easy to go back to most of them...
Old Feb 20, 2009, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by graraps
Exactly! And what's with the 777s and 380s that can't land in/take off from most airports?
The ideal plane for me would be an Embraer Lineage 1000,
What advantages does Lineage 1000 have over Bombardier Global Express or Airbus ACJ?
Old Feb 20, 2009, 11:32 am
Suspended

Also, there is the QM2 or Victoria Round the world cruise, which lasts about 3 month.
Personally I would recommend the Penthouse suites.
Yet, I can`t really imagine being stiuck on ship for that long.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM;*A Lifetime Gold; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; HiltonHonors Gold. Hyatt Globalist
Talking

Originally Posted by manneca
Me, too! I'm much more interested in where FTers would go than what they would fly, heresy though it might be here on FT.

I'm planning a RTW trip to begin the day I retire! (in Sept 2012, I think, assuming I still have a dollar to my name to retire on and the world still exists). I've got the beginning down pat: CO island hop to Guam and then to Yap, Palau and Truk to dive and kayak. Then on to Cairns for the total eclipse of the sun (I already have my room reserved on Green Island, just have to remember to resend my credit card info when my current card expires). After that? SE Asia: Indonesia, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia. If I haven't made it to Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos by then, include those too! Nepal and Bhutan. Way too much, but I'm taking a year.

At some point, I'd like to spend 6 months in Africa and at least a month in India. I'm saving Europe for when I get too old to do the good stuff!

Can I come with you .......
Old Feb 20, 2009, 5:44 pm

I'd go for around the world in 3 days. SYD-JFK on emirates, then JFK-SYD on Qantas. Why? because I could.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
I'm sure most people here have the miles to do a RTW X time(s) across the globe. They just don't have the enough time off work

Originally Posted by stupidhead
Actually, forget getting a private 777, I'd spend the money to get Concorde airworthy again (apparently there's still an Air France one that has an operative nose) and fly around the world in that. Beat that.
Buy a Space Shuttle
Old Feb 22, 2009, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by SwissCircle
Also, there is the QM2 or Victoria Round the world cruise, which lasts about 3 month.
Personally I would recommend the Penthouse suites.
Yet, I can`t really imagine being stiuck on ship for that long.
With unlimited funds, I'll charter the whole thing. Why? Why not?
Old Feb 22, 2009, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack
What advantages does Lineage 1000 have over Bombardier Global Express or Airbus ACJ?
It's really quiet, and it's a much more modern design than the Bombardier.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by stupidhead
With unlimited funds, I'll charter the whole thing. Why? Why not?
Because the interior of a liner is poorly fitted for one person. And it is rather big, so restricted in the choice of ports. If you go about chartering, better pick a large motoryacht.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 10:30 am

I wouldn't do that. I hate boats.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 10:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
We always keep the travel brochures we receive from our various alumni associations.

My wife and I aren't the right demographic for those trips, nor do we actually have the $114k laying around, but the brochures are great and they might actually inspire a travel idea for us to do on our own. The latest one we received was a "lost cultures" theme - either mostly or entirely that itin that manneca posted above. Based on the posts I've seen in a few threads here, it's apparently the same outfit that markets these to alumni associations everywhere. Same 88-seat 757, etc.

I suppose an alternate, parallel question would be "What would your dream RTW trip by if you had enough time and money that you could do 6-12 weeks anywhere, independent of FF miles or hotel points?" In other words, you'll use your points/miles if you can, but they won't drive the trip. You have enough money to fund a great trip, but you aren't necessarily super-wealthy and buying your own plane for it.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by obscure2k
My husband just brought home a brochure from the Georgetown University Alumni Association: Looks awfully good.
November 1-24, 2009
Around the World by Private Jet
Aircraft is a specially-configured B757 (88 seats).
Cost PP (based on double occupancy) $56,950 (single supplement: $
8545)
I think this looks pretty fabulous and this is what I would do if I had "unlimited funds for a dream 'round the world' trip.
If anyone is actually interested in this, PM me. There is a Georgetown Alum phone number.
I've seen these as well, re-packaged by National Geographic etc. (78 seats) for around $65-69k per 24-day trip. Has anyone come across trip reports or reviews for these on here? I don't think the seats are even fully-flat sleeper seats, but I can't find any info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.