Wiki Posts
Search

Bereavement airfares

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2010, 11:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat,PC Plat, HHonors Gold
Bereavement airfares

A very good friend of mine lost his father in an accident yesterday. I was trying to book him back on a flight to India as soon as possible. I noticed that the last minute airfares had been jacked up by almost $200 in economy class. I had heard about bereavement airfares and called up various airlines including Delta, United and Air India. I also tried the online compassion fare booking website of Continental. But for all airlines their compassion fare was much higher than what I found online. Bereavement airfare discount is not even a marketing policy, then why are provisions present if they are little help to mourning passengers!
Old Oct 1, 2010, 5:52 am

First off, I'm very sorry to hear about your friend's loss.

This is a subject that's come up many times before, and you'll get a fair amount of information by doing a search. In short, bereavement fares are not intended to be significantly cheaper than other last-minute airfares, but they often carry far fewer restrictions and give the traveller much more flexibility, particularly with regards to changing travel dates on either end.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:13 am

I don’t know which route you are looking for…..
We had that issue in the family some time ago. All flights were fully booked then, but we contacted LH in BOS and got seats on short notice because of the loss of a family member. Sorry, don't know what fare was charged.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:54 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro
I am very sorry for your loss. Last year, after making multiple calls to many airlines, I was informed every time that bereavement fares are no longer offered. They may be able to find you some other discounted fare, but do not hold your breathe. This was with domestic airlines, I am not sure about other carriers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.