Old Oct 24, 2008, 9:15 am

Programs: UA Plat, TK Gold, *G
Originally Posted by yyzvoyageur
OP: I sent you a private message.
Don't be too harsh now!
Old Oct 24, 2008, 10:38 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by mecabq
Funny. That's the problem with America nowadays -- everyone wants to be part of a grievance group. What used to be just good old-fashioned poor customer service by an inept agent who can't deal with ambiguity now must be racism, age discrimination, "homophobia," bias against obese people, etc. The highest status that one can achieve in America today is "victim." I'll bet that the OP wouldn't have posted a thread like "Unacceptable customer service for a 1k flyer." Instead, it's much more rewarding to scream, "Look at me, I have been discriminated against!"
Yes, yes, yes.

And I still can't find any evidence that age discrimination has been committed.

Just because the OP is young doesn't mean that he/she was discriminated against because of it.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by ajax
It does get old rather quickly.

Pray for the one-trip-per-month kind of job. Three countries in a week can kill you. Trust me.
Try "three continents [and counting] within a week". Makes you want to kill someone, if not yourself.....

[from VIE, bumped off an intercontinental to asia, and rerouting through FRA to an also oversold flight which "may have better odds of having a no-show, or at least get you partway there", to quote the agent heres....ohh, the suffering]
Old Oct 25, 2008, 7:48 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, United Silver
I don't see how much of the discussion here is even related to the OP now anymore. Also, FWIW, the OP might have quoted himself saying "OMG" as an abbreviation rather than "O M G" itself.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by N965VJ
When the OP reaches my age, I think he’ll be happy that he looks younger than he is.
Yeah, I was rather tempted to point out that it's better in the long run than the alternative of looking older than you are. Being able to pass for older ceases to be cool pretty much the moment you hit 21.

Nothing beats being carded by a 19 year old girl at a convenience store for cigarettes when you’re 35!
Well, maybe never having started smoking does but the point is otherwise well taken.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 9:41 am

Programs: CO PLT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by lerasp
what does having an MBA have to do with the situation? is it written on your forehead?
I think the point here is that even though this person looks like a teenager, clueless or otherwise, the poster is a business professional and percieves that he was trated shabbily because of appearance. Airlines will walk through the fire for business travelers and this GA, from the OP's posting, took him for some kid, even though the OP probably intellectually outclasses the GA by a couple of dozen points.

When I started traveling extensively and looked 25 rather than 36, I ran into the same thing in executive lounges, ("Excuse me, which member are you here as a guest of?"), first class check in lines ("Sir, the check-in line begins over THERE, this is for first class only") and in first / business class itself ("Sir, may I see your boarding card?") because obviously someone who isn't in a suit and doesn't look old ebough to have ben in one industry for 18 years Now that I look 32 rather than 41 (#$!&#$% Propecia!) it's a non-issue but it was really insulting having to "prove" that I belonged with the business executives and "looked" the part after I had already gotten past the front desk at the Admiral's Club and other places where if you're not wearing a three piece suit and you're not pounding Crown Royal out of a juice glass at 7 AM you obviously don't belong there.

I know exactly of which the OP speaks.

--PP
Old Oct 25, 2008, 10:30 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by VideoPaul
I know exactly of which the OP speaks.
It's tricky. Whilst being singled out in a line of people to show your boarding pass (and simultaneously looking 10+ years younger than anyone else, or being the only black person, or whatever), is a pretty clear indication of discrimination - and abhorrent, don't get me wrong - I don't see anything about this particular encounter which shows any age discrimination.

Am I missing something?

The more I think about this, the more it sounds to me like (a) the agent was a world-class bonehead who had no business being in front of customers, and (b) the OP had a chip on his shoulder and was happy to cry "age" even when it wasn't true.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 6:46 pm

Programs: Marriott, AA EXP, United, Alaska, AirTran
Originally Posted by ajax

Am I missing something?

Probably.

Discrimination does occur more frequently than any of us would like to admit. It can be very subtle. For example, a number of posters to this thread are having trouble accepting the notion that the OP wasn't discriminated based on age. They just assumed the OP had to do something to receive the treatment or the GA was just plain bad.

If you aren't lucky/unlucky enough to look materially younger than you are, odds are you will never understand what it means to be treated like a child as an adult even when you are exhibiting adult behaviors, adult dress, adult mannerisms.

The discrimination comes from people assuming you are a twelve year old and treating you that way based on how you look. It is OK when you are twelve but it really bites when you are 25.

On the flip side, if you are 40 and look 60 (there are folks with this affliction), it is virtually impossible to receive equal treatment with regard to employment opportunities. Folks just assume you are going to keel over any day now. No promotions or substandard raises.

Ageism is alive and well.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 1:11 am
Former user name: laundrian
Original Poster

Programs: Moderator: Traveling with Jewelry, UA GS, Starwood
Wow

First of all : EXCUSE ME for my Bad, Horrible, Unacceptable use of the English language. Yes, I may speak only Three Languages, but I thought I would count Sign Language too since I am very P.C.

The reason that I signed up for this lovely site was so I could learn more about traveling from professionals, educated people.

So I had a problem with one of my flight, and I decided to share my story. I had NO idea this would turn into such a NASTY thread. I really tried to pull it down, but I did not know how to do that.

I just caught up on all the nice ( and not so nice) posts that you all wrote. Thank you so much for all the criticism and the supports. I really don't want to point out every single person, but some of you are really ignorance. It's amazing.

We are about to have the first African American President in this country, so hopefully, that would change the attitudes all over the U.S. Maybe I am not allow to vote because I don't write English that well. Well excusez moi.

Peace.

Voila, ciao.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.