Age discrimination

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Age discrimination

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2008, 7:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by Dole

Anyway, RPH, I can already tell where this is going. The next response is to call me an 'apologist' for bad bahavior.
Nah, my apologies.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 7:53 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
Maybe if you didn't talk like a valley girl, you'd be treated as a mature adult. I'm afraid I call bull on the "4 languages" too since I don't know many valley girls whose fourth language is English.

Seriously, what adult in public comes out with, "OMG you are SO rude!!!!"

Originally Posted by laundrian
Me: " OMG , you ARE SO RUDE. Is this how you treat your elite members? That is unacceptable."...

He treated me like a child which I did not appreciate.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 10:17 pm

Programs: Club Premier, AmEx Plat, Priority Pass
If you join an interwebs forum and on your first threat you have to "show off" your academic credentials or how many languages you speak then I would bet you're not a so-nice person to be arguing with.
Also, if you use the phrase "OMG you're so rude" there may be a small chance that your way of talking simply annoys other people. Do things like this happen to you often?
Old Oct 22, 2008, 10:35 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
I think the OP already got a good sample of how FTers think or handle similar situations.

Before this thread turns into another "Southwest too pretty to fly type of discussion", why don't we just give this young OP, a creative editorial fashion assistant, a break?
Old Oct 22, 2008, 10:56 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat, Amex Plat, CSP. FAA Rotorcraft PPL
I belive the situation was way more accelerated by OP not keeping his cool than his age, even though a complaint should be filed to UA anyway.

I have never been treated even close to that bad by a GA, and I am 21 (but doesn't look 17) with a mere 1P.

Given that OP is a 1K, shouldn't he be on the very bottom of the list of confirmed passangers getting kicked of the plane due to plane change?
Old Oct 22, 2008, 11:07 pm

I think I am just getting really tired of these "I look young, but I am a top level elite with a great job but get treated like crap" threads. We get it... You are young and fly a lot and we should be in awe. Yawn. I have to say based on these few posts the OP is showing a striking lack of maturity for being so important.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 1:55 am

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
I think I should start a second career as a clairvoyant. My prediction is that this thread is going to get locked anytime soon.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 7:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Originally Posted by laundrian
I have a MBA and am working for a big company here in NYC.

Me: " OMG , you ARE SO RUDE. Is this how you treat your elite members? That is unacceptable."
Ahh, I see business school classes are changing with the times.

I drive a BMW, and I've found it really helps to combine that with education. Ergo:

Me: "OMG, LMAO!!!! I drive a BMW, went to Harvard, and have an MBA. You are a simple do-boy. Respect me!!! BBL."
Old Oct 23, 2008, 7:52 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by Dole
My reaction has nothing to do with learning English isn't his first language and has everything to do with what I view as his arrogance. I feel like he was trying to silence dissenting opinion because, and I paraphrase "I speak four languages, therefore I'm intelligent, so shut up and don't disagree with me."
Interesting. That's not how I read it at all.

I believe the "English is my fourth language" comment was in response to someone criticising the OP for his grammar.

I believe that the response of "English isn't my native language, nor is it my second or even third language so give me a break," is entirely appropriate.

I wonder how many of the people attacking the OP's slightly-less-than-perfect grammar and spelling have ever had to communicate in an acquired language. My guess would be zero.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
When the OP reaches my age, I think he’ll be happy that he looks younger than he is.

Nothing beats being carded by a 19 year old girl at a convenience store for cigarettes when you’re 35!
Old Oct 23, 2008, 8:58 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Hard to call a troll without satisfying the troll (speaking of OP), but whatever.
I too am surprised that this thread hasn't been locked down, a certain poster
banned, and the rest of us given a severe tongue-lashing!

Originally Posted by ajax
Interesting. That's not how I read it at all.

I believe the "English is my fourth language" comment was in response to someone criticising the OP for his grammar.

I believe that the response of "English isn't my native language, nor is it my second or even third language so give me a break," is entirely appropriate.
Were it true. I believe that the likelihood of this being so, in fact of the entire
OP scenario being literally true, is vanishingly small.
I wonder how many of the people attacking the OP's slightly-less-than-perfect grammar and spelling have ever had to communicate in an acquired language. My guess would be zero.
That comment should be put in the hall of fame for silly remarks.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 9:22 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by violist
Were it true. I believe that the likelihood of this being so, in fact of the entire OP scenario being literally true, is vanishingly small.
Yeah, you might be right. This whole thread is just weird.

Originally Posted by violist
That comment should be put in the hall of fame for silly remarks.
Thanks. ^

You've obviously missed my point, so I'll rephrase:

Until you've learned a language from a textbook and had to communicate in nothing but that language, you have no idea how difficult it can be.

Doing so will give you much more respect for those people who continue to do so every day.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 10:31 am

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
You seriously think he learned valley girl speak from a textbook. "OMG you're sooooo rude! That's like totally unacceptable!" Come on. The poster has to make it a little believable. When I am forced to try to get my point across in another language, I am not able to use colloquialisms or slang.

Thanks. ^

Until you've learned a language from a textbook and had to communicate in nothing but that language, you have no idea how difficult it can be.

Doing so will give you much more respect for those people who continue to do so every day.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 11:29 am
In memoriam

Until you've learned a language from a textbook and had to communicate in nothing but that
language, you have no idea how difficult it can be.
I don't think I missed that point. I was perhaps not sufficiently emphatic in
making my own, though.

Point one. Bear in mind where you're posting. You doubted that any of those
who criticized the OP's grammar had been in the position of having to
communicate in a nonnative language. I stick to my assertion that -
given the constituency here - that's got to be one of the sillier comments
of the new millennium.

Point two. I was not among them. Rather, I find it highly unlikely that this
poster is what s/he says s/he is, and my take on the event described in
the original post is colored not by his/her lack of command of the English
language but by that judgment (a pretty cut and dried one, though I will
be happy to go through step-by-step with any curious bystanders,
excluding OP, via e-mail, time permitting).

Point three. Peachfront has it nailed and is t3h aWesomes !1!!!!1one1!1.
Though as you can see that valleyspeak is not in my top four, either.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 11:34 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by peachfront
When I am forced to try to get my point across in another
language, I am not able to use colloquialisms or slang.
Though in my thesis examination over thirty years ago, I offended a rather
proper professor by referring to Tristan as "une sorte de poire." This
examination in a language I hadn't even heard spoken in four years
(one of many unlikely but true aspects of my life).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.