Wiki Posts
Search

Flying Etiquette

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2008, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MP, Marriott, HHonors
Red face Flying Etiquette

Ok, to have a little fun, and because some of this stuff keeps me up at night ( ), I thought I'd throw a few situations out here and see what the "polite" thing to do is.

Most flyers know the basic etiquette rules such as boarding when your zone is called, and allowing the airplane to deplane starting with the people in front of you....ok, maybe not "most flyers" but certainly everyone here

But what about some other situations what should you do when:

1) The (very) loud snorer is near you - either on a short flight or a long one - but especially on a flight where one normally doesn't sleep (not a redeye for example)...

2) you have a window seat and you need to go to the bathroom and the person next to you is asleep and /or the 1, 2, or 3 people in front of you have their seat reclined (note, even in first class, this makes getting up pretty impossible)...

3) You order a (another) glass of wine about 40 minutes before landing. The flight attendant would have to open a fresh bottle just to accommodate you...

4) The person next to you (behind you, infront of you) is playing their music so loud you can hear it through their headphones...
Old Oct 11, 2008, 4:07 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
1. Put on your headphones.

2. Wake the aisle person up and say excuse me.

3. So?

4. Put on your headphones.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MP, Marriott, HHonors
3) see, I felt guilty and just asked for a beer instead!
Old Oct 11, 2008, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
While all are god questions.... Unfortunately, they have little to do with UA.... maybe OMNI?
Old Oct 11, 2008, 4:25 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
The FA shouldn't make an issue out of opening a new bottle. Totally inappropriate for them to make the passenger feel guilty in that respect.

As for the music turned up too loud, I'd ask the FA if they could ask the noisy one to turn it down.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 4:26 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Regarding the wine: 5 years ago, in C and F, when that would happen, I would tell the FA, "No, let's not waste a bottle like that. I'll just have a _____ ." And 9 out of 10 times the FA would thank me and later during the seat belt check hand me a bottle of my favorite wine wrapped in a napkin to take with me!

That is pretty rare now.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by karatelovr
1) The (very) loud snorer is near you - either on a short flight or a long one - but especially on a flight where one normally doesn't sleep (not a redeye for example)...
I probably wouldn't hear it through my headphones with my iPod on. However, I've always said that, if I snore, I'd have no problem with my seat mate giving me a gentle shake.

2) you have a window seat and you need to go to the bathroom and the person next to you is asleep and /or the 1, 2, or 3 people in front of you have their seat reclined (note, even in first class, this makes getting up pretty impossible)...
Been there, done that. I'll wait as long as I can and then, apologizing profusely, wake my seat mate. It doesn't matter if the seats in front are reclined -- I can get out as long as I don't have to climb over someone.

3) You order a (another) glass of wine about 40 minutes before landing. The flight attendant would have to open a fresh bottle just to accommodate you...
Not my problem. I've paid for C or F, and that's part of the very, very limited perks granted by the higher-priced ticket.

4) The person next to you (behind you, infront of you) is playing their music so loud you can hear it through their headphones...
That rarely happens now with earbuds and over-ear phones, though it used to happen quite a lot with the open air variety that are all but extinct. Again, I wouldn't hear it with my own phones on. I have, on rare occasions, encountered people (well, children, actually) who will use a DVD player or one of those hand-held games without phones. I complain to the FA who promptly shuts them down.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 6:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by PTravel
That rarely happens now with earbuds and over-ear phones
Are you kidding? Since the advent of earbuds, it's become an epidemic! Those are often louder to the people around than for the person wearing them. On the subway, you can sometimes hear them about 4 or 5 rows away.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 7:10 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Since this isn't UA specific, please follow this in Travel Buzz.

l'etoile
UA moderator
Old Oct 11, 2008, 8:20 pm

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Are you kidding? Since the advent of earbuds, it's become an epidemic! Those are often louder to the people around than for the person wearing them. On the subway, you can sometimes hear them about 4 or 5 rows away.
Definitely agree with that one. My last flight had a guy in the row ahead and across the aisle from me and I had to listen to his crappy rap music for a 3 hour flight. He was asked several times to turn it down and he would for a second and then turn it right back up. Obviously he is deaf as a post from listening so loud in the first place he couldn't hear it any other way.

Too bad we all had to suffer with it as well.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I've honestly never noticed. I'll have to conduct a test with Mrs. PTravel -- I'd hate to think that I'm bothering other people and, if so, I'll switch back to my less comfortable but more sound-proof Bose.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 10:44 pm

There is no reason that an FA should decline to open that last bottle. It is catered for pax use, not to be saved for a rainy day.

You can wake the snorer if you want, but he's just going to fall back asleep and snore again!
Old Oct 12, 2008, 3:00 am
KTW

1.. I do nothing because I am watching a DVD so it is not an issue.

2.. Not an issue because I can't have a window seat due to being too Sasquatch-like.....I would try not too wake my wife next to me (remember she is disabled so I have to be with her).....If I was petite but still could not get pass I would ask the pax(s) in front of me to please move the seat so I could pass.....If they were asleep same same as they nor I have a choice.

3.. I do not drink alcohol.....My wife brings her own so it would not occur.

4.. See answer 1...
Old Oct 12, 2008, 5:30 am
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
Here's the results of an Australian newspaper's blog about airline etiquette.
http://blogs.smh.com.au/travel/archi...lpage#comments

Am sure that there are lots of things written about here that will mean people do not have to write about them here. But when they are written here they will still be as funny.

The following entry really summed it up for me:
A Boeing 747 doesn't smell so nice after 24hours of flying. It smells like a mixture of B.O, Farts, Burps and every other body function you can think of. Be kind to the person opening the door to that aircraft and wear some deodorant, brush your teeth and try letting fluffy off the leash in the bathroom.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 9:26 am

lol!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.